[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steel cased rounds for AR-15's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

OK /k/ I got a question. Some people say they are perfectly fine, others say it can even void your warranty using it.

Is it reliable though? Like Wolf ammo? It's really cheap and my thought was I wouldn't use it for the range, but I could easily afford 1000 rounds and it'd be my SHTF ammo because who cares about warranties if that's taking place.
>>
If shits hitting the fans wouldn't you want ammo that wouldn't potentially damage your weopon? The only reason you care about a warranty is if your gun gets broken somehow right?
>>
>>32696930
Its not very reliable.
>>
>>32696930
>stockpiling steel
If you live anywhere with even a slight amount of humidity you're not keeping it long. Just don't shoot it on a hot or cold day. My TC of all things ripped the rim completely off some steel Tula.
>>
All the shit about steel cased rounds is fuddlore.

Bimetal is maybe not as good for a barrel, but that's different. I think most of the 'damage' claims come from it being dirtier ammo powder wise, which people then don't clean. And maybe leftovers from it being Russian corrosive primed.
>>
>>32696930
just shoot it through your fucking gun

if it jams, don't buy more, but if your rifle doesn't cycle it it's probably a piece of shit anyway but don't expect much in terms of accuracy with 55 grain steel ammo
>>
>>32696930
Does your gun have...

>a chrome lined chamber?
>good extractor?
>couple drops of synthetic motor oil in the barrel extension?

...if you answered yes to all of the above questions you to can qualify for 100% reliable function with steel cased ammo.
>>
>>32696930
>voiding your warranty
Son, you know guns are meant to be shot not kept in a cabinet right? Fuck the warranty, beat your gun until it breaks and fix it! Grow some balls!
>>
>>32696930
If your gun eats it reliably, go and buy it. If it doesn't, get something else, and if you want to reload it, look up videos on how to deal with that.
>>
File: wpa-20-2.jpg (36KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
wpa-20-2.jpg
36KB, 420x420px
>>32696930
I shot 1000 rounds of this shit through my bushmaster xm15 and it didn't damage shit, nor did I have a single malfunction. They do however rust, which didn't stop me from shooting them with 0 problems. As for warranty who the fucks gonna know?
>>
>>32696930
Delete this thread I like having steel cased .223 cheap and plentiful

quit telling people the truth
>>
>>32696930

I'd rather have 300 good rounds in SHTF over 1000 rounds I don't even know will go bang. If SHTF is really fucking bad, you will find a lot more 5.56 than you will use.
>>
>>32697103

To add on to this, it should be fine for range ammo until you are shooting way far out.
>>
>>32697103
>>32697132
literally never had a malfunction or dud. Id prefer brass but because of corrosion but its not bad ammo. I'm assuming you've shot very little or have a sensitive as fuck ar you paid a ton for.
>>
Don't listen to any of these / us mooks. Lucky gunner did a test with steel vs brass case.

Tl;dr? Just like one of these anons said it's the bimetal bullet that causes the issues. Wears down your barrel much faster.
>>
>>32697143

If I'm getting ammo that I am only intending to be used in a life or death situation, I'm sure as fuck not getting something that rusts or is made from a company I don't trust. I would shoot steelcase all day out of my ar if it was more than 1 cent cheaper than the ammo I get online.
>>
>>32697151
Most people don't shoot enough to notice any appreciable loss in barrel wear. With the money saved you could buy several bbls anyway.
>>
File: M16A2.jpg (132KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
M16A2.jpg
132KB, 800x534px
>>32697064

This.

Ran a few hundred steel WPA .223 rounds through stock Bushmaster with Tapco magazines in a range trip without issues.

Even if you're skeptical, you've got a warranty.
>>
I've shot 2k wolf and I've got another 3k of it. Suppressed SBR ar15 and it still does fine.
>>
>>32696930
Its fucking fudd lore. Here is the biggest issue. Guns are machines, machines have parts that wear out. Have spares, or know how to do the minimum to refurbish your shit.

Its like people saying not to rack and release, then dry fire your 1911. Do it all fucking day on a milspec. All fucking day.

A huge issue is this as well: people seem to think they need a target or match grade firearm with tight tolerances. For most of us, we dont.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqE3AbPLSc
https://youtu.be/4m4njk7g_dU
https://youtu.be/0XXkNPlXKAI?t=7

Clean your gun, fix your gun as needed. Quit watching videos of tactical commanders.
>>
>>32696973
I know you probably know more, but how the hell do I know if my chamber is lined with chrome?

I don't really want to say my weapon because in all my years here no one else has ever mentioned they own 1, so I don't want to identify myself.

It's an AR15 that costs ~ 1200 MSRP. So steel doesn't scratch up your rifle?
>>
>>32697151
Complete bullshit.
>>
>>32697320
>So steel doesn't scratch up your rifle?
its a fucking rifle not a car. and for 1200 bucks id hope i got a cl chamber along with the dry ass fucking.
>>
Just make sure to keep your chamber very clean. I had one rifle that just decided that it hated steel cased one day, but ate brass just fine. Finally figured out that the chamber brush in the cleaning kit I was using with it was just worn out. It was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway, barely even touched the chamber walls. Got a shiny new brush, and actually had a couple of visible flakes of junk come out. Its been fine ever since.
>>
>ITT people perpetuate myths about steel cased ammo whilst having 0 experience shooting it
>>
>>32697444
Sorry, should have noted that the issue was repeated stuck cases in the chamber. Brass came out just fine, but couldn't shoot a full mag of steel without one getting stuck.
>>
>>32697320
I only said chrome lined because it aids in extraction with steel cased. If your gun works without it then it's fine.

But to answer your question look and in and see. Search for pics.
>>
>>32697320
Hi Tommy Thyroid.
>>
>>32697151
They also dumped all those rounds in a short period of time, heat played a big factor.

Bi metal will wear rifling down faster. However the savings will replace the barrel and then some.
>>
>>32697589
Bimetal does not wear barrels faster.
>>
>>32696930
>Is it reliable
no. having shot ten thosand rounds of a mix of tula and wolf it it isnt. expect 1-2 jams per thosand. tulais much worse than wolf.
you dont get dud rounds but what you get is failures to cycle, feed or extract. probably cause tula is underloaded. if the round makes it into the chamber it will bang 100% of the time but there no gurantee the next one will. accuracy and power is mediocre.
>>
>>32697151 here.
>>32697168
Good point friendo.
Did the math. Slickguns - tula / wolf for .21 a rd. Wolf gold (cheapest brass case / non bimetal jacket) .29 a round. 400 in savings if you buy the 5000 rounds the test mentions as the failure. Cheap barrels are like right at 100.00 on Primary Arms. So if more daka and occasional barrel swaps are your thing it's not a big deal. For the lower carbon build up in your gas system and super slight performance increase I'd say still stick with quality ammo. That said there's certainly something to be said for more trigger time making you a more proficient shooter.
>>
>>32697540
I won't identify myself but I'm not that fucking retard.

So the general consensus seems to be it's perfectly fine to shoot steel ammo. So I'm probably going to do it. Last chance to talk me out of it.
>>
>>32697630
*no guarantee the next round will make it into the chamber
>>
>>32697645
dude there is nothing wrong with shooting it. FUDD LORE FUDD LORE FUDD LORE holy fucking shit.
>>
>>32697630
Quit shooting middies.
>>
>>32696930
lots of stuck cases with Tulammo

I shot pretty much 100% tulammo for a couple years.
>>
>>32697681
its happend in rifles of all gas lengths. dont pretend tula is good ammo. its cheap ammo. ocassional malfunctions are expected.
>>
>>32696930

How poor do you have to be to not be able to afford to stockpile standard brass case 5.56. It can be done easily for less than $7 per 20 rounds.
>>
>>32696930
The only problem I had was some of the steel cased ammo has a light lacquer coating on it. After one range trip I had let my hot bolt close on my hot chamber. After I had gotten home, and the gun had cooled it cooled the action was glued shut. A few seconds with a heat gun took care of it. I have heard from the rumor mill that if you leave a round I the chamber and it cools it can be a pain getting that round back out.
>>
File: 20161201_004807-1.jpg (2MB, 1486x3366px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_004807-1.jpg
2MB, 1486x3366px
>>32696930
My issue with steel case is that it isn't that much cheaper.

I can't justify the 15% lower price.
Puts a little bit more wear and tear on my gun
Makes me clean it more often.

Not worth it to me personally
>>
>>32696930
Wolf is ok, Tula is shit, Brown Bear is where it's at.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.