[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Air Pistol For Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: image_08.jpg (78KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
image_08.jpg
78KB, 700x400px
So often when I'm out hunting duck I'll run into the odd grouse on the way to a different pond.

Me and my buddy usually camp while we hunt so it would be nice to take these birds as we see them cause they're fucking delicious.

Problem I have though is I can't shoot them with my shotgun because it is far too loud and will ruin our chances of sneaking up on some quakers

So I'm thinking of using a co2 pistol for shooting the birds and still staying super quiet.

I'd like a semi auto Co2 pistol capable of shooting hunting pellets at lethal velocities for grouse, do you fellas have any good ideas???
>>
I know literally nothing about air pistols or hunting but Pyramyd air looks to make some good ones
>>
>>32691885
I'd always suggest a break rifle unless you are pretty confident in your pistol skills at the ranges you see them at.
Also, co2 pistols are weak and I'm not sure if you'll do more than injure it and watch it run off, then die later.
>>
>>32691941
They're really docile and I often see them at about 7 yards or even less, I mean I'm not set on using Co2 I just like them.

Would maybe going with a pump air pistol be better ? I hear some get up to 500 fps
>>
>>32691968
That's pretty close.
Just make sure you get one that shoots pellets, not bbs. And use something like crosman destroyers that expand well at speeds closer to what you'd be shooting at.
>>
>>32692019 they're dumb as fuck.
And I'll definitely make sure to use pellets, I don't want to leave an injured animal in the woods.

Also I'm gonna be hungry as fuck so I want a guaranteed meal
>>
>>32691968
for hunting, I wouldn't use anything slower than 1100 fps. 500 won't go through muscle
>>
>>32692043
They're really small man, like half the size of a chicken
>>
>>32692066
500 fps is quite pathetic out of a pellet gun for 1 shot stops. ive had mice and rats take 2-3 shots to die.
>>
>>32691885
If I remember correctly Lois and Clark carried an air rifle as they scouted land before the Louisiana purchase. Or I'm drunk and this is just Drunk History. The Indians were very impressed and it saved their ass a few times.

But /k/ is liberal fucking trash these days and everyone will say underpowered, omg, you animal! They don't know their grandfather's killed deer with a .22.
>>
>>32692424
Agreed 500 fps is barely able to break skin on critters, usually bounces and leaves a welt or gets stuck below the first layer of skin like a lead pimple. Maybe use a .22 with Aquila Colibris or something
>>
>>32692066
They're still birds, they got a shitton of muscle on their breasts and a wing to worry about. My pellet gun shoots around 900 with 10gr pellets and won't kill woodpeckers on broadside shots.

Best thing to do would be to either carry a pellet rifle or maybe get a .22 pistol, thread the barrel, and buy a cuckstamp and suppressor.
>>
>>32692499
What if I'm using 22 pellets
>>
>>32692525
I'd do that but unfortunately I live in Canada so that isn't possible.

Any other ideas for compact, quiet hunting tools?
>>
File: 900fps 22pellet.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
900fps 22pellet.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>32692526
22 pellets have a lot more power than 177s for sure. My steel spinners act very different depending which of my pellet rifles I use.
I use 10.5gr pellets in my 177, and the regular weight 14.3gr pellets in my 22cal to reach ~900fps in both guns.
>>
>>32692526
even with 22 pellets you still want 600+ fps maybe 7 or 800 to be sure.
>>
>>32692733
Are pistols of that velocity considered firearms? Are they expensive?
>>
>>32692788

In Australia they are. If you're in the u.s. you are golden.
>>
>>32692816
I'm in Canada which makes my situation complicated
>>
File: 1481877459175.png (225KB, 922x882px) Image search: [Google]
1481877459175.png
225KB, 922x882px
So i'm gathering that an air pistol is probably a bad idea at this point.

What about using a slingshot with .50 cal lead balls? Not nearly as cool but i think it might get the job done.
>>
>>32692041

I've shot a lot with a .22lr and unless you hit them in the head you can lose them. I've seen grouse shot through the neck and back go surprisingly far. I now prefer a shotgun, even for hunting them on the ground.

Are they even in season where you are right now? People say grouse are dumb, but they just aren't equipped to deal with guys with guns. They manage to survive lynx, coyotes, fox, goshawks, owls, marten and a bunch of other predators here where I live, so they're doing something right.
>>
>>32692894

I dunno what province you're in, but here in BC an air pistol is still considered a handgun according to the hunting regs, and their use is prohibited on game. Separate definition from the firearms act
>>
>>32694036

Best bet
>>
>>32691885
Grouse are fucking retarded. Worst I've seen was 20 yards off shooting at a group with a .22 that needed sighted in badly. They just stood there and had no idea wtf was going on. They are also very tasty.
>>
You could pack a bow with you.

That'd be pretty fun.
>>
Just get a cheap springer in .22, .177 is for target shooting
>>
>>32694684
cant pack a bow because of size restraints. Need to keep my kit lightweight and i'm already carrying a shotgun.

>>32694129
Im not hunting them right now, this is preparation for september, when duck and grouse will be open at the same time. I'm gonna go ahead and use a slingshot, video evidence supports its effectiveness.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.