[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you pay money to go to a VR arcade where you shot guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (197KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 1024x576px
Would you pay money to go to a VR arcade where you shot guns with blanks while you fought enemies in your headset? Could be AI or other players, not sure yet. You'd be responsible for physically aiming the gun, reloading while keeping empty mags, and clearing jams when they arise.
>>
>>32691714
No because Simunition exists. I'd be interested in a field where I can play with that.
>>
>>32691714
I'd rather do airsoft or paintball, or even lazertag.
>>
just fucking play airsoft
>>
>>32691714
arcades are dead. the same experience will be available from consoles/pcs at home in <5 yrs.
>>
>>32691714
I ain't cleaning it, tell the armorer to kiss my white ass.
>>
>>32691714
It'd probably be cheaper just to shoot real guns at a range, or have a moving targets range with co2 powered airguns like the smg-22 or something.
I'm just waiting for a vr gun experience that isn't shit. I'm not going to hold my breath though. I'm not convinced it'll ever happen. I just don't see VR as ever simulating guns in a good way. It'll always just be something that could maybe pass as shooting to noguns, but not to anyone else.
>>
>>32691737
Suppose it took place in a large arena with obstacles and terrain that are skinned in your headset to look like a battlefield. Suppose you moved through the battlefield taking cover and engaging enemy players. Would that change your mind? Or is there something about this I'm not thinking of?
>>
>>32691745
5 years?

I have a Vive, and I play Onward, now.
>>
>>32691762

you do all of that in airsoft, but without needing any expensive gizmos. fuck, you can just go out in the woods with a bunch of friends (that you dont have) and duke it out.
>>
>>32691731
That's a good point, but I'd imagine that the strength of a virtual simulation are the variable themes. You could go straight from playing a modern warfare themed match to a WWII one, for example.
>>
>>32691762
I played lasertag in the late 80s at a joint that did this. Big building with obstacles and shit to climb on, and all that.

Then we switched to paintball, indoors and in huge WW2 like battles in an abandoned warehouse.

We've already been doing shit like that, and VR already had shit like that minus the blank guns.
>>
>>32691755
It wouldn't just be target shooting in VR. If that's all it was, you're correct to say why not just go to a range. The idea is that it would be a fully functional multiplayer shooter with a level of immersion unlike anything seen before.
>>
>>32691816

you're basically asking if we'd like to play with a toy from the future. are you expecting people to say no?
>>
>>32691789
You could do that with Simunition, if you really wanted to. Of course it won't be as cheap as video game shit, but you can get video game shit at home. You can't get Simunition at home. It's all about the gimmick and what's a better gimmick than actually shooting firearms at each other?
>>
>>32691787
So does it not contribute to the intrigue to be handling real guns in the game and having to manage recoil, reloading, and jams while fighting? Plus you don't have to buy any expensive gadgets, the point of an arcade is they have the equipment there already for your use.
>>
>>32691816
>fully functional multiplayer shooter with a level of immersion unlike anything seen before
Like when we played Tron lasertag in the 80s?
Or commando paintball?
>>
>>32691816
That sounds fun.
I'm just not sure what you could implement to make it better than airsoft or paintball.
The pain is what keeps me from getting too excited about those. I used to do paintball, but not a fan of the pain.
>>
>>32691824
I'm asking whether it's worth the enormous time and money required to develop it, and from the responses so far people seem less than enthusiastic.
>>
>>32691764
I'm always going back and forth about whether I want a Vive or not. Some of the games like Onward and hotdogs horseshies and handgrenades look neat but I'm very hesitant to spent so much on what might end up just being a gimmick that loses support in a few years.
>>
>>326918562
There would be no pain in a VR shooter. Not unless a working haptic suit is invented, but good luck getting people to pay a thousand bucks for a device that serves no other purpose than to give them displeasing sensations.
>>
>>32691904
Meant to reply to
>>32691856
>>
>>32691714
Legit , I already have that.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/agecheck

>Airsoft
>Paintball
>Lazer tag
>Nerf
>Simulation
>Reenactments
>4,500$ computer running 4k res with 3d vision teck

>>32691764
^
Seriously, this.

>>32691816
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8N3aOn1iWE

This.

Seriously, tho its available now but it sure fucking costs a premium to run effectively... also, like the other anon said.. 5 years this will be how you play cawadooty.
But really; its fucking awesome.
>>
>>32691904
Again, in lasertag the things buzzed when they got shot. This is a 30 year old idea. I can also see this shit getting really old when you drop a magazine trying to grab it and have to remove you goggles to find it.
>>
>>32691945
Your magazines and weapons would have sensors on them and appear in game. Also I didn't say there would be NO feedback for taking damage, I just said there would be no pain. Probably the same stuff that's used in shooters today, a thunking sound and red indicator would be a good place to start.

>>32691928
I think you're missing the point. You're not going to the arcade to play a game with a keyboard or controller.
>>
>>32691714
No. I WOULD pay money for a MILES copy system with blanks though.
>>
>can't see casings cause goggles
>slip on one and spill spaghetti
>24 aspie pile-up causing traffic along aisle 4
No thanks
>>
File: WWI.png (799KB, 865x787px) Image search: [Google]
WWI.png
799KB, 865x787px
>>32691731
>tfw our society is so safety foamed you'll never get to do open field siminition WWI reenactment
>tfw you'll never go over the top at the sound of a whistle into interlocked arcing fields of maxim fire with your 1897 pattern trench gun full of rubber buckshot to kill the hun.
>>
>>32692904
See, that's what I'm saying. It's about atmosphere and immersion, something that VR can capture extremely well. It can also create atmospheres that could be extremely difficult/expensive to replicate in real life, like a Sci-fi theme.
>>
>>32691714
Arcades only really exist in Japan because size constraints and their use of coins, America doesn't have to worry about either of those.

Also co2 would be cheaper
>>
>>32691744

Not everyone is gonna drop 400$ to start playing airsoft
>>
File: stalker.jpg (129KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
stalker.jpg
129KB, 1000x667px
>>32692949
>implying vr battlefield one wouldn't look fake and gay
>not firing 30-06 siminition out of a springfield 1903 while knee deep in mud as "chlorine" (tear) gas comes across no mans land and you scramble to get on your gasmask

VR is good for modern and fantasy settings and simunition room clearing, but I'd want to play Fallout/Stalker IRL in a few hundred acres of woods/town/spoopy shit where you can go wasteland paladin or DayZ murderhobo and suffer the consequences via deep tissue simunition bruises.
>>
>>32692999
The idea is that it's a VR arcade, the headsets are provided there for your use. For those who want to try VR but DON'T want to drop hundreds of bucks to do it.
>>
>>32691746
He said clearing it, you dumbass.
>>
>>32692904
Simunition's manufacturer is now offering it to places for exactly this purpose, it's not longer government only.
>>32692949
>something that VR can capture extremely well.
No, something real life captures.
>>
>>32691714
ITT:
>OP here, what do you think of my idea?
>(virtually unanimous "not interested")
>OP: no you dont understand
>>
>>32694651
Defending your ideas is better than just ignoring people who disagree with you
>>
>>32693606
It was a joke. As in I had to clean weapons a lot in the military, and if I fire a simulated one I'm not going to clean it.

If you ever have to explain humor it becomes unfunny. Thanks for diminishing my /k/ experience because you're a newfag who thinks he's pointing out spelling errors.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.