[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruger american

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

So iv been looking at a rifle and rimfire rifle (wanna get into rifle shooting) and...

How the hell can this rifle be so cheap?

Whats the catch? Parts made outside US? Plastic stock alone isnt cheap enough to get you this price...
>>
>>32690667
>Whats the catch?
You get no bells and whistles.
Just a bare bones bolt gun.
The rimfires are really nice.
>>
>>32690714
Which is why the American Predator exists.

I'm holding off till the Vortex combo is on the market. But it's a great looking rifle with some nice bells and whistles.
>>
Do the ruger american predator in .223 or 6.5CM and get a primary arms 4-14 mildot ffp scope
>>
>>32690714
yeah i get that i wouldnt even expect any extras for the price, but even then it seems ridiculously cheap, there are no other brands that can compete @price as far as i know
>>
You can get a Remington 783 even cheaper than the Ruger American.
>>
Major catch is that they press the barrel into the receiver so you can't upgrade. Other than that, they're a good deal. IMHO it's better to get something like the 10/22
>>
Whyd they get rid of the 77-22 for this shit?
>>
It's cheaper because they manufacture the barrel and receiver as one unit. That drastically lowers production costs in ways I don't fully understand, but that's how they are able to produce good, accurate rifles on the cheap. I bought a .308 version from CDNN for $280 last year. Great gun for the price point.
>>
>>32690667
>>32690714
>>32690741
Ruger has always designed for affordability. They will do just about anything to lower cost, except sacrifice quality.
>>
>>32690798
Remington has been having quality issues since they were bought by Freedom Group. If I was buying new, I'd definitely pay a little more for the Ruger because I can trust that it will function well for decades.

The Remington might be worth considering if you want to buy used. Just try to get one manufactured more than two years ago.
>>
File: Security_Six_in_hand.jpg (82KB, 1023x685px) Image search: [Google]
Security_Six_in_hand.jpg
82KB, 1023x685px
>>32690741
It's just something Ruger is good at.

They used investment castings to make a really good revolver at an adequate price, pic related, they still hold up today, very strong.

People talk shit about investment castings sometimes, but Ruger knows how to use that shit right.
>>
>>32690798
>rustington
No thx.
>>
File: wingmaster.png (41KB, 1224x421px) Image search: [Google]
wingmaster.png
41KB, 1224x421px
>>32691010
>Just try to get one manufactured more than two years ago.
More like 10, they're in a REALLY sorry state these days.

Don't forget the safeties on some 700 models tripping the sear randomly, something they knew for decades but told nobody, until someone died.
>>
>>32690741
>there are no other brands that can compete @price as far as i know
Savage might get close, they've actually gotten pretty damn good at affordable long-arms over the years
>>
File: Remington Quality.jpg (321KB, 1024x1577px) Image search: [Google]
Remington Quality.jpg
321KB, 1024x1577px
>>32691031
>>
>>32691010
The true descent began in 2007 and spread through the line-up, with Freedom eating more and more good companies to offset their flagging sales. You need the DeLorean to shop Remington.
>>
>>32691021
explain please?
>>
>>32691058
That issue was fixed 3 years ago
>>
>>32691201
One issue that they didn't correct for years got addressed, his point stands. How many more do you think they have now? Remington is the Chevy of firearms now.
>>
File: born to remove.jpg (101KB, 605x615px) Image search: [Google]
born to remove.jpg
101KB, 605x615px
Dunno why people are hating on Remington... thus far ive had a shotgun and a bolt action from them made from 2005 onward, not an ounce of rust or any problems...
>>
>>32691266
Reread the thread you fucking moron
>>
>>32691427
Chill m8. He probably did read the thread and added his personal experiance. 1st hand experiance is usually better than what you read on the internet. Ive seen lots of shoddy 700's and ive also seen some that shot really well. Remingtons quality is hit and miss. Generally not recommended because you CAN get a lemon. Not guaranteed.

When I see posts like this i cant help and correlate them with the people who get looked down on at gun stores by fudds. Socially akward.
>>
>>32690798
Fucking don't.
I have a 770 that I bought from a friend that needed money and it has the worst bolt ever.
>>
>>32691154
Exactly what it sounds like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_casting

Ruger knows what you can and can't do with investment castings, these days they even make some AR parts with investment casting.
>>
File: saya loli.jpg (138KB, 1280x1386px) Image search: [Google]
saya loli.jpg
138KB, 1280x1386px
>>32691266
>Dunno why people are hating on Remington
HURR DURR DURR

870 shotguns
>rusts, A LOT
>ejector infamous for snapping off if you look at it wrong
>occasionally some of them will fire when the breech closes

700 rifles
>bolt handle breaks off because it's soldered on
>safety on some models trips the sear, they claim to have fixed this, but I have no reason to trust them
>rust

R51 pistols
>locking randomly and frequently fails in various ways, either resulting in a failure to fire, the slide not wanting to rack, or the gun firing out of fucking battery
>build quality is abysmal
>trigger is an atrocity, no detectable reset
>all the pistols were recalled
>people got "new" pistols sent back
>"new" pistols were in fact the same old pistols which were fucked up, just with a couple of pins replaced

597 rimfire rifles, well, just LOOK at this: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/08/25/why-remington-recalled-the-17-hmr-model-597/

Remington are a VERY bad company and buying their products is a risk and a gamble.
FUCK you for defending them.
>>
Ruger Standard vs Savage 10 in 308.

What buy, /k/? Which is the better rifle?
>>
>>32692542
The Ruger Standard is a .22LR pistol, so the Savage would be a better rifle by default.
>>
>>32692580
American*
>>
>>32692463
Youve seen a lot of this or just read it o the internet. Im not defending remington, im just saying that some of the info passed around here is very fudd-behind-the-counter feeling. Instead of "i got a buddy...." it is "i read on the internet...."

Rifles rusting is 90% neglect. The bolt handles are brazed on, not soldered. The biggest issues i saw with 870's was shells with low aluminum hulls would stick on the chamber badly. People would break extractors trying to smash down on the pump to pull the hull out.

The 597's were absolute trash though. 3/5 had sights clocked incorrectly that i saw.
>>
>>32690667
>y so chep?

The action is specifically built to be as cheap as possible and not be dangerous. Tikka and Savage play the same game. The stock is also cheap as fuck but serviceable. Keep in mind that their M77, which is a commercial Mauser, can be had for 600-700 brand new in all but the most jewish of shops. The American is much cheaper than any Mauser could hope to be.
>>
>>32693455
But it requires their retarded rings.
>>
I have a Ruger American in .270 for deer season and it lives up to the Ruger model. Cheap yet very effective and great for deer. Honeslty for anyone looking for a good rifle to hang around for hunting it does the job well. Put it through tons of mud and it held up fine throught the day. Just the barrel gets a bit hot after putting plenty of rounds through it so don't be a dumbass and urn yourself.
>>
File: 1468270758401.jpg (192KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1468270758401.jpg
192KB, 1280x853px
>>32690849
I'm assuming you could absolutely change the barrel.

It's pinned in place too, right?

>unpin
>press old barrel out
>press new barrel in
>pin

Just like an AK
>>
>>32692463
the rem 700 safety issue was because of an adjustable trigger they shipped with.
>>
>>32693551
Which they knew about.

Which they also didn't tell anyone about.
>>
>>32693513
>Just the barrel gets a bit hot after putting plenty of rounds through it
Well, it's a hunting rifle, not a fighting rifle.

Though one or two hits of .270 would probably fuck a guy up pretty bad if need be.
>>
Would people recommend the Ruger American rimfire .22 over a Savage Mk II? I have 18 guns and none of them are a .22lr, so I need a .22lr bolt action plinker.
>>
>>32696917
Never tried the Mk II, but I have an American rimfire and it shoots very nice. I am also a bit of a Ruger fan and like the fact that it can share mags with my 10/22.
>>
File: FUBR.png (272KB, 871x1021px) Image search: [Google]
FUBR.png
272KB, 871x1021px
>>
>>32696917
I got a rar. Pretty nice. Save the extra and get a cz though.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.