[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canteen pouches

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: bottles.png (729KB, 764x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bottles.png
729KB, 764x1200px
Looking for a canteen for hiking/festivals (tfw paying 10 bucks for a beer)
I'm torn between the oldschool ALICE and the newer MOLLE system (pic related).
Any experience with either system?
>>
File: 304_boyscoutadventures1[1].gif (58KB, 800x815px) Image search: [Google]
304_boyscoutadventures1[1].gif
58KB, 800x815px
It really depends on what belt you're using to carry it.

Metal ALICE clips aren't flexible and they attach to the belt in a way that they go right up against your clothing/body. Being stiff against your body means less flopping as you move though.

MOLLE will be flexible and more comfortable, but how much it tends to flop around depends on how stiff your belt is.

But I would just suggest getting a Nalgene type bottle anyway or a metal canteen that is strong enough to be boiled. The absolute worst part of having a canteen is cleaning it.

Yes, I know you clean your stuff right away.
Yes, I know you were busy and let it sit empty for a day, a week or more.
Yes, it might just be worth the cost of replacing it not to deal with the thought of one of those bacteria colonies you missed breaking off the side and travelling down into your mouth as you take a nice long drink from that opaque plastic canteen.
>>
>>32690998
>I can't pour boiling bleach water in a bottle
>>
>>32690998
>Rinsing with bleach water is hard

Shut the fuck up, put your trip back on, and get back to your gear queer thread.

I'd go the MOLLE version if you want the military asthetic OP. Or, as usual, always better civilian options.
>>
>>32690998
Thanks! I'm getting a Nalgene anyways, just not sure about the pouch. And I'm well aware of how "cleaning right away" can lead to mold and spore colonies - I'm living in flat with two other guys, all three of us are attending university and are lazy fucks.
And thanks for the "flopping"-information. Jumping with a flopping bottle will pretty surely drive me crazy, so thanks for that :D

Any tips on cleaning the nalgene?
Denture tablets?
>>
>>32691033
Not primarly looking for the asthetic, what do you suggest for civilian alternatives?
>>
>>32691081
Dude, I used an empty pink plastic poweraid bottle id fill up at the water buffalo. Or my canteen. Camelbacks were issued to us but they are a meme, the bladder always breaks.

The guy I insulted wasn't wrong about Nalgene bottles, I can just tell he doesn't actually ever used one, or if he does he's lost in the sauce because he thinks cleaning a canteen is rocket surgery.
>>
>>32690374
Only proper advice for festivals is a bladder filled with bolde and wathever you mix with. Then stuff it in the "secret" bladder compartment. Bring a normal beer or two to discard if/when they frisk you. Ofcourse you hide the tube
>>
Get a Kleen Kanteen 40oz and a GSI outdoors glacier cup, they fit together perfectly

Then whatever MOLLE bottle carrier you want, fuck those shitty plastic canteens
>>
>>32691126
yeah, i used to take ice-tea cartons and duct tape some sort of handle onto it, but that shits not very stable, and i dont want to carry a bottle all the time, so i thought: go with a canteen
>>
>>32691143
"secret" bladder compartment?
you mean on a backpack?
>>
>>32691025
>>32691033

>Internet operators who never had to clean out a Camelbak before.

Boiling water and bleach is just the start of cleaning a neglected water system. When spaces are tight like in a drinking tube you can kill the growths, but dislodging it takes pushing that shit out even after you bleach them.

>>32691067

Bottle brush works good. In a pinch a twisted towel can get to the bottom. Your fingers should be enough to get to the shoulder.

Freezing is also a good way to try and pull the crud out. But remember that ice expands and you should leave the top off or it'll crack.
>>
>>32691210
nice, thanks for the advice!
>>
File: download.png (1MB, 860x808px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
1MB, 860x808px
>>32690374
The main functional difference you will notice between the ALICE and MOLLE canteen pouches is the lining on the former. This is designed to be soaked with water and provides a cooling effect on the beverage through evaporation, similar to how perspiration cools your skin.
>>
>>32691210
>Internet operators

You sure are.

Doesn't even need boiled. We just dunked them in cold water with bleach.

t. I don't know, maybe veterans post here?
>>
>>32691250
>>32690998
so if I don't have a MOLLE-carrier, the ALICE pouch is clearly better, right?
>>
>>32691210
I have a literal toilet brush for cleaning canteens I bought at IKEA for 50cents. flushing the camelbak out with poolshock after use has always been enough.
>>
>>32691268

That works fine if you catch it early.

Read. That first post you're getting all worked up about was describing the worst case scenario of forgetting to clean it before putting it away to emphasize prevention over cure.

>>32691272

Alice pouch is fine, but it's built for a 2" web belt.
>>
>>32691272
>so if I don't have a MOLLE-carrier
Not exactly. Ditch the metal ALICE clips, since you can use paracord to attach it to PALS webbing.
>the ALICE pouch is clearly better
Absolutely.
>>
>>32691392
Fair enough. I'm just saying sometimes on the fly you need the simplest and most effective method. There's always a better way to do something.

They issued us raggedy ass damn near Vietnam era canteens. We had these giant sinks that's basically a horse troth. We dunked them in cold water and bleach.

Protip for any of the /meg/ kids: you probably should clean the fuck out of any military canteen. I've seen Marines use them to spit dip in, and even use them as piss bottles.
>>
>>32691465

The way I understood the OP post it was that he was planning to have beer in there as well.

The camelbak I had to clean had one of those MRE drinks mixed in to cover the taste of the polyurethane bladder but caused all sorts of havoc quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wnGEPXshmM
>>
>>32691567
not sure about beer, need to check their "regulations", but certainly not only water.
I'll rinse it with water on the go, and clean it with dishwashing soap and a brush when I'm home. But I'm just going to buy a canteen, not a camelbak^^
>>
>>32691660

Not sure if they actually do manufacture ALICE pouches for Nalgene bottles anyway. AFAIK the current offerings are pretty much MOLLE pouches that you can use ALICE clips with.
>>
>>32691695
about that I'm pretty sure, found it on Amazon, and according to the reviews and description it has ALICE clips and fits nalgene bottles, and if not, I'll just return it.
>>
No experience with ALICE
Molle is pretty nice if you got the molle webbing if one strap comes unbuttoned or something the lace might even be wrapped in well enough that it won't fall off and you can just resnap the button quickly.
>>
>>32691752
and if you dont have MOLLE webbing?
>>
>>32691763

Best case is just to have it in a backpack because at least the weight distribution will be better than hanging off your hip without a counterbalance.

But if you're at a festival or concert that bans backpacks... yeah, better to have a dedicated MOLLE/web belt rather than have your pants get pulled down with it.
>>
>>32691897
so better to wear a second belt to "close encounters"?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.