[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Auto 5

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_7815.jpg (8KB, 512x98px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7815.jpg
8KB, 512x98px
Are there any downsides to owning a browning auto 5? Any common malfunctions or just unreliable?
>>
>>32681690
I've heard it's a bitch to break down.
>>
>>32681690

It's a pain to clean, it's heavy as all fuck, it's got an ancient bolt design as far as loading goes, and the damn thing will try and take your thumbs off when loading it.

That said it's classy as fuck and I love having one. I never shoot it though.
>>
>>32681690
I love the fuck out of mine, never failed me. Only significant downside is that mine, being on the old side, is a tad overchoked for modern ammo.
Just don't be one of those fucktards and set up the recoil rings properly.
>>
>>32681825
>losing your thumbs
This. I vaguely remember flinging it around on my arm screaming when I got my thumb stuck. Same gun.
>be my dad back in the day
>see case of all plastic shotgun shells
>neat.polaroid
>bring them hunting on the coldest day in the history of ever
>shell shatters inside the chamber
>trying to dig bits of plastic out
>accidentally hit bolt release
>flings gun around as it's stuck on his finger
She's a heavy merciless bitch, but goddamn if she doesn't look good.
>>
Heavy and annoying to disassemble with all those screws that can easily get damaged.
Will kill a shitskin dead just as well as any modern semi-auto shotgun though
>>
>>32681690
Would it be worth it to SBS one or would that be a waste? I want one like Bonnie and Clyde had.
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>32681690
your erection will last longer than 4 hours
>>
>heavy

>current year + 2
>not having the light-twelve version
Shiggydiggydoo
>>
File: cheeky.png (12KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
cheeky.png
12KB, 640x492px
Found this on the auto 5 wikipedia article yesterday.

Got a sensible chuckle.
>>
>>32682398
if you wanted a whippit gun its worth it. if you wanted the shortest possible shotgun its a bad base gun. theres stuff in the stock so theres a limit to how short you can cut it and the barrel moves when you shoot.
>>
>>32683880

heh
>>
I don't like that you have to press the bolt release every thing you have to reload it.
>>
>>32684264
Mine doesn't do that.
When the action is open and you load a round it chambers automatically.
>>
Go for it, If you think about it Benelli still uses the system to this day and they are very popular with waterfoul hunters.
>>
>>32681690
Mine stovepipes awfully bad. Really, it's outdated design that shouldn't be sticking around for much more than historical appeal.

But really, if you are asking it's because you can get one for cheap or think that they are cool. And in that sense, yeah they are great.
>>
>>32681690
>Any common malfunctions
make sure you keep as much friction on the magazine tube as you can and check the spring if you buy used
they'll keep working forever but they have a habit of peening the reciever if you don't have enough friction
>unreliable
reliability it balance, too much friction or too light a load for your current friction settings and it doesn't cycle, not enough friction and it beats itself to death

Belgians are probably the best in terms of quality:price

a little heavy for what they are but the history is cool and they are still nice guns.
huge pita to detail strip or even remove the bolt for that matter.
parts are getting hard to find.
barrel assemblies are interchangeable but are expensive and if you change the barrel weight you may need to alter your friction settings.
be careful of the bolt release or you'll suffer as some of these guys have but the speed feed and magazine cut off make it an order of magnitude nicer than the licensed knock-offs that lack these features.

have a few in the family that are 60+ years old and going strong
>>
>>32685620
>parts are getting hard to find

Nigga they are still in production
>>
>>32685553
Did you make sure your recoil rings were set up right for your loads? Mine never had the slightest issue cycling.
>>
>>32683880
he didnt use an auto 5, though.
>>
File: IMG_1102-1024x682[1].jpg (145KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1102-1024x682[1].jpg
145KB, 1024x682px
>>32686283
no they aren't, at least not the browning auto-5. they ceased production some time ago and the back stock of spare parts has mostly run out from manufacturer, you can still find stuff third party but that stuff is starting to get harder to find and more expensive as well. i'm not aware of anyone having purchased the tooling or producing things on any basis larger than custom.

the new and current shotgun called 'browning a-5', introduced something like 2011 iirc, has little to do with the old model 1898-1998 auto-5 beyond a vaguely similar appearance. it's a little annoying that people use auto-5 and a-5 generally interchangeably but the old model is done and gone, browning figured it was just too expensive to continue manufacturing.

>>32681690
another thing worth noting is that based on the vintage of the barrel you may not want to use steel shot. google
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.