[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the HKG3 a good rifle, /k/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_n696ps1ZCw1skaxu8o1_1280.jpg (70KB, 900x483px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n696ps1ZCw1skaxu8o1_1280.jpg
70KB, 900x483px
How successful has this rifle been, how reliable, etc. and how easily obtainable is it for a 'murican?
>>
>>32680695
PTR makes them in the US. They are the cheapest .308 you can get and damn good too.
>>
>>32680695
They're reliable and accurate.
They're also cold war era. So they're fucking heavy and fucking clunky.

I dont know why the fuck HK was so dedicated to roller delayed blowback at the time. FAL and AR10 pattern rifle maintain good accuracy without it, and it adds a fair amount of weight and recoil to the weapon. Also makes the charging handle a bitch to run.

But are they good rifles? Yeah, never heard a reliability or accuracy complaint about em.
>>
>Is the HKG3 a good rifle, /k/?
Yes.
>How successful has this rifle been,
Immensely.
>how reliable,
Beats AKs in mud tests.
>etc.
Can be accurized quite well. Cheap mags. Expensive aftermarket. Recoil is really bad for full auto fire. Heavy and the ergos are not for everyone. HK slap for style points.
>and how easily obtainable is it for a 'murican?
Cheapest knockoffs are shit but only $600, Century Arms CETME. DO NOT BUY.
Decent ones start at $1000, PTR 91s. Then there's VKE 91s, $1500. Then HK91s/HK41s, $2500. Finally an actual HKG3 runs like, $60k with a 2 year wait list because fuck you, machinegun registry is closed nigger.
>>
>>32680746
>I dont know why the fuck HK was so dedicated to roller delayed blowback at the time.

I think they were trying to stay with the simpler mechanism, no rotating bolt or gas system.
>>
>>32680784
CETME is fine
>>
>>32680894
Century Arms "CETME" is not CETME, and CETME is not good either.
>>>/forgottenweapons/
>>
>>32680746
>I dont know why the fuck HK was so dedicated to roller delayed blowback at the time.

Basically most of HK's rifles were rechambered versions of the STG-44 which uses the same action.
>>
>>32680921
308 CETMEs are perfectly fine

>>32680933
STG44 uses a tilting bolt operating system, STG45 uses delayed blow back
>>
>>32680921
>Century Arms "CETME" is not CETME
WTF are you talking about? They're built on CETME parts kits and most of them work great. Some of the early ones has issues though.
>>
>>32681001
Century has repeatedly shown themselves incapable of consistent QC, some of the CETME's out there they built are fucking trash.
>>
>>32680695
Norwegian AG3F2. Rad as fuck
>>
>>32680784
HK91's are more like 3500+ from what I've seen.
41's even more when they have pinned lowers

I'd add licensed contract rifles between VKE and HK levels: SAR3/8 (Greek) and FMP G3's (Portuguese). Obviously, preban>postban and avoid the aluminum garbage late SAR8's.
>>
>>32680746
>I dont know why the fuck HK was so dedicated to roller delayed blowback at the time
Because it was cheap and easy for them to do with the logistics available to them at the time. The G3, HK33 and MP5 are all basically the same kind of gun scaled to different calibers and sizes.

They knew how to do it, they could do it well, and they had good means for doing it.

>>32680894
Century CETME rifles have a bad reputation for a reason.

>>32680933
*Stg-45(m), or Gerät 06

>>32681001
Century does two things, they import guns and modify or rebuild them for commercial sales, and then they also build their own guns for commercial sales.

They used to be absolutely atrocious at rebuilding guns, really awful, they have gotten a lot better at this (for some guns), but when they try to build their own guns, everything goes to fuck. If you look at the C308, that's basically what their old CETME builds used to be like, and their CETME builds are really not that great.

There's a reason PTR is making a lot of money, they can give people the HK91s they want, which Century would fuck up, and still do.
>>
File: 1484331263777.png (303KB, 834x1509px) Image search: [Google]
1484331263777.png
303KB, 834x1509px
>>32680695
>How successful has this rifle been
Would probably be number 3, 4 or 5 on the top 5 most successful combat rifles in the past 50 years.

> how reliable, etc
the thing will eat any type of 7.62x51 you feed it without complaint. There's a ton of them still in service in middle-east in desert hellholes that didn't go in for intermediate cartridges and the sand fucks with gas systems more than the roller system.

>how easily obtainable is it for a 'murican?
PTR91 rifles are about a thousand bucks and are nearly identical to the actual G3, except you can actually use them because they're not a >$15,000 investment that would depreciate if you actually fired it.

Personally, I fuckin love 'em. After years on an AR platform, it just feels more substantial. Larger cartridge, longer effective range, and everything about it just takes more muscle. Plus, slapping the charging handle and having it slam into battery is just fucking cool.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.