[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Noguns faggot here, is this a viable home defense tool?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12

File: eastwing hatchet.jpg (155KB, 1900x1900px) Image search: [Google]
eastwing hatchet.jpg
155KB, 1900x1900px
Noguns faggot here, is this a viable home defense tool?
>>
>>32679743
Better than nothing. Definitely better than a knife. Can you combo with a can of mace?
>>
Id get a machete instead. Or a cutlass if you want to be fancy
>>
>>32679743
Duct tape a flash light to the head.
>>
>>32679766
A machete isn't as useful as a hatchet in every day's work tho.
>>
>>32679743
Only if defending from Autism.
>>
>>32679743
It would be better to have something that doesn't require as much space to swing, and that can't be grabbed by the haft by the person you're swinging it at. Just get a long knife.
>>
File: estwing_hatchet.jpg (57KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
estwing_hatchet.jpg
57KB, 500x500px
>>32679779
So this then?

>and that can't be grabbed by the haft by the person you're swinging it at.
As much as bullshit as the whole stopping a sword slash with your hands.
>>
>>32679770
Tools make poor fighting weapons in general (compared to dedicated fighting weapons).
>>
>>32679795
Well, when weapons are banned, you have no choice but to use tools.
>>
>>32679789
What's so infeasible about swinging at Tyronne, missing because he sees it coming, and then having him grab the thing?
>>
>>32679810
Has that ever happened, like ever?
>>
>>32679779
>space to swing
You WANT space between you and your attacker. Unless OP is living in a damn locker maze, he'll have plenty of space to swing it. The exact disadvantage of a knife is that it requires you to eliminate the space between you and your coked-up attacker.

>>32679779
>can't be grabbed by the haft by the person you're swinging it at
Good luck grabbing an axe when someone is taking a hard swing at you with it. If you're close enough to stab someone with a knife, they're close enough to grab your arm. How's that any better?

>in b4 your bladeaboo knife training makes your arm ungrabbable
>>
>>32679819
Nope, never. That's why knights never EVER carried a backup weapon like a sword in case their primary weapon was wrenched away from them or else rendered useless.
>>
>>32679810
>you missed

That doesn't make the weapon any less viable. You can miss with anything if you use it like an idiot. It still has substantial advantages over a knife.
>>
>>32679839
I don't think soldiers carry backup weapons because their primaries are easily wrestled away from enemies, it's because their primaries can be lost i.e. broken.
>>
>>32679839
>Knight: "I will start with a lance, to kill my enemies from 12 feet away. Then I'll switch to a sword and kill them 5 feet away. If both of those are gone, then I suppose I'll whip out this shitty dagger and try to do something useful before my speedily impending death"

>You: "you'll miss with the lance and sword, so you should just start with the knife"
>>
>>32679802
a machete is a tool. It is an ideal tool for clearing certain kinds of plants
>>
>>32679836
>Unless OP is living in a damn locker maze, he'll have plenty of space to swing it.
But would you be willing to bet your life on it at all times? You can't take it for granted that you'll always have the ideal circumstances in which to line up a good, hard swing. What if you're in a crapped hallway? What if there's a low ceiling? What if Jamal hears you coming and bumrushes you before you even have time to wind up your swing at all. At least with a knife of some kind a hard strike to the opponent isn't necessary.
>>
>>32679880
And fields of tutsi civilians
>>
OP here though I do live in an apartment so I favor a shorter hand axe over a full length hatchet, and it's cheaper.
>>
>>32679883
>crapped hallway
Cramped.

Screw it, I'm going to bed.
>>
File: kukri.jpg (68KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
kukri.jpg
68KB, 640x430px
>>32679743
Since you're in the UK, convert to Sihkism, then carry pic related as a religious device. It's as central to the religion as turbans and excessive hair and its a central asian brown people religion so no lefty will try to deny your religious rights.
>>
>>32679883
>But would you be willing to bet your life on it at all times?

No, you can't guarantee a specific scenario in any event. But it's the most likely scenario, and so its reasonable to plan for it, instead of planning for unlikely scenarios that virtually never happen and in which you'll be fucked anyway, which is exactly what knife fags have to do to try to justify using a knife.
>>
>>32679880
An axe is better at cleaving woods though, and cheaper.
>>
>>32679902
"35Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out without purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. 36“Now, however, He told them, “the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag; and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one."
>>
>>32679902
How about no, m8?

I'm fine with my axe in apartment.
>>
the machete is THE cheap home defence weapon.
a machete has more range than a knife, and more leverage and power for slashing.

it's faster to wield than an axe, and even a shittly balanced machete will be better than an axe.

a machete can stab, it's fast, and it's great overall.
>>
>>32679914
Axe can only slash or chop, Kurkri can slash chop and also stab extremely effectively, and practiced users have been documented taking off limbs and heads with them.

It's one of the more effective tool/weapon combinations ever developed.
>>
>>32679922
It's easier to chop with an axe though.
>>
>>32679880
And weeds. Like the ones planted in the US from the slave trade.
>>
>>32679795
>>32679795
Yet axes for millennia have featured prominently in both categories.
>>
>>32679937
I can procure an axe much easier than any kukri.
>>
>>32679905
not very thin wood. Anything half an inch to a couple of mm a machete is optimal for. An axe needs the target to not give too easily, a machete cuts as well as chops and so can deal with branches swaying out of the way.
>>
>>32679951
An axe designed for combat is very different than an axe designed to cut wood, the blade is much thinner and lighter in a battle axe, such an axe would be shit at splitting or chopping wood because it would get easily stuck in the tree and not cause the wood chips to eject out.

A peasant may try to use a wood axe as a weapon but honestly hed be better off using that axe to cut down a nice sapling to make a staff out of.
>>
>>32679914
>it's a "justify what I'm going to do already, /k/" episode
>>
>>32679955
fair enough, if you want to risk legal trouble but win the melee sharpen the top and bottom of the blade for an inch or two back from the bit. The sharpened top will give you a point to jab with and the sharpened bottom will give you a bladed hook to catch someones limb, neck or torso and fuck them up royally.
>>
>>32679905
lmao columbian machetes are like 3 bucks a pop
>>
>>32679863
Well you've never done HEMA obviously
Disarms are bread and butter stuff

>>32679868
Weapons-grade autism
>>
>>32679743
Does it have a gun in the handle?
>>
>>32679902
Sikhs don't carry kukris, they carry kirpans
>>
>>32679770

Buy both

However, it'd depend on where you live for its use. I use a machete more than an axe here as brush needs constant clearing.
>>
>>32679769
Some rails wouldnt hurt either
>>
>>32681098

>HEMA

Playing dress up is a lot different than actual killing in defense.

>nigger comes at you with knife
>you hack hack hack him to death
>>
File: IMG_3798.jpg (27KB, 303x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3798.jpg
27KB, 303x360px
>>32679795
Firearms are tools. Chequemait atheists.
>>
>>32681146
>dress up
Alright then nerd
>>
>>32679743
Axes have a tendency to get stuck. A splitting maul might serve you better, but is harder to swing.
>>
>>32681181

>dress up and play fight
>calling someone else a nerd

Never change, /k/
>>
>>32679743
OP just get a fucking maverick 88 for like $150.
>>
>>32681206

One strike to the neck area will be pretty much fight over, though.

The biggest problem is if an arm is put up and you stick the arm, though that'll probably be fight over too, as it'll break the bone.

A short spear would arguably be the best weapon outside of a firearm. A bow would work, as you simply have to cover a door.
>>
>>32679743
yes
>>
File: Roofing hatchet.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Roofing hatchet.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
>>32679743
Wood axes and hatchets generally need to have their primary bevel taken down from about 25-30degrees to around 17-18deg for them to work 'well' for murdering people. You can do it with an angle grinder and flap disks if you really had to move the metal in your backyard.
The other thing is speed, axes need to strike fast, so weight also needs to be removed as much as possible to get the time down between striking and recovery. Generally that comes out of the head after its been profiled from the big old block of metal and the handle itself doesn't need to be as sturdy as you're not going to be a lumberjack. The handle design is preferably an 0 shape as that will allow you to reference where the head is pointing without looking at it, which is important with axes as they do need to strike 90deg against whatever/whoever you're belting the fuck out of to maximise the force of the blow along the edge.

Roofing/shingle hatchet with a bit of modification to the handle and sharpened up would probably do you better if you've not done a lot of martial arts or weapons handling, axes take a lot of practice to get good with
>>
>>32679743

>home defense tool
>defense tool
>tool

It's a weapon.

Also get a shotgun
>>
>>32679770
Multipurpose is a REALLY bad idea when it comes to weapons, unless you're going to sharpen it constantly.
>>
>>32679839
Have you ever tried to CATCH a piece of metal/wood being swung at you with the speed that a person would swing a weapon with the intent to kill?
It'll just bash your hand out of the way. Soldiers wore armor and gloves. At best a home invader might have some Mechanix or shitty leather gloves, not thick gloves that could let you grab a swinging axe by the neck, especially when some crazy fat /k/ redneck comes sprinting around the corner in a dark house that you're not familiar with.
>>
>>32679883
A short spear is better than a knife because you can wield it with two hands and block attacks too.

A short Assegai or Iklwa on a wall rack can be passed off as decor and be ready for use.
>>
>>32679743
get a camp shovel, you can still do some damage with enough practice without peoe asking as many questions, just say you like camping or something
>>
>>32681604
hmmmm

this sounds legit, like a 3/4 height of man spear you can slice with a little too
>>
File: Boar-spear-95boask-full-1.jpg (43KB, 920x520px) Image search: [Google]
Boar-spear-95boask-full-1.jpg
43KB, 920x520px
>>32679743
get pic related, keeping whoever away from you should be your first priority

pepper spray too, or even a flare gun if you feel like burning your house down lol
>>
desu if i was no guns

>pepper spray/gel
>baseball bat
>spear (dat reach)
>saber of some kind / machete
>>
>>32679743
Well, not if they have a gun...

But if you live in a raped noguns country, I guess.
>>
Get a longsword and join some form of HEMA group. You'll get exercise, have fun, and learn to kill. If you're in HEMA no one will question why you have a sword.
>>
A hatchet is a shit HD weapon for many reasons.
1. The head of the is incredibly unbalanced and needs to strike directly in order to cause an incapacitating wound.
2. A weapon with a foot of reach is a bad weapon.
3. Subsequent attacks with the weapon are difficult, it can be quite embarrassing to lose your weapon after it is lodged into an opponent.
4. You will look like less of a psychopath using a metal baseball bat even though a metal baseball bat can cave someone's skull in if the weirder is strong or strikes the same spot a few times.
>>
File: 1481577064801.jpg (109KB, 357x459px) Image search: [Google]
1481577064801.jpg
109KB, 357x459px
When compared to nothing, an empty beer can is a viable home defense tool.

Just go from there.
>>
>>32679743
If i had to use a nongun for hd, id use a gun.

Otherwise, a short spear (a pole with a knife on the end) gives you range (and therefore relative safety), and its easy as fuck to use
>>
>>32681844
Why do people think spear are easy to use. There is a reason why soldiers carried sidearms in addition to polearms. If all you have is 4 foot pole and no one backing you up, you are going to get rushed (particularly after use miss a thrust).
>>
>>32679993
OP can thin his axe head using a flap wheel and angle grinder, which also works nicely for sharpening dull axes, machetes, mower blades, etc.
>>
>>32681663
e-tools are good melee weapons in close combat. That and efficient digging is why smart G.I.s sharpen theirs.
>>
>>32679770

And? Like I hate to throw around the word poorfag, but you can't afford a $10 machete and a $30 axe? For real? What do you use an axe for anyway? A saw is better except for splitting logs, which you don't do otherwise you'd already have one.
>>
>>32679743
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PC1073&name=Hanwei+Viking+Bearded+Axe

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=ANR7&name=Albion+Augustus+Gladius

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=600626&name=16th+Century+German+Mace

If you are going to use a melee weapon invest in a dedicated melee weapon
>>
File: 1457249594301.jpg (114KB, 516x691px) Image search: [Google]
1457249594301.jpg
114KB, 516x691px
>>32681844
>home defense tool
>knife on a stick
>>
>>32683194
iirc the PLA teaches their soldiers how to fight with them
there's also some old stories about Austrians shitting their pants at the sight of angry Sardinian manlets with shovels getting in their trenches during WW1
>>
File: img_1941.jpg (116KB, 1536x800px) Image search: [Google]
img_1941.jpg
116KB, 1536x800px
>>32679743
Broad axes are probably closest to a battleaxe without being a weapon by design ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadaxe
>>
File: tomahawk.jpg (66KB, 1500x1173px)
tomahawk.jpg
66KB, 1500x1173px
>>32679789
Still too heavy. Any hatchet will do damage, the lightest it is, the faster you'll be able to attack. If OP and you like Eastwing so much, you should check their Tomahawks.
>>
File: Finishing-Broad-Axe-001-lg.jpg (291KB, 792x594px) Image search: [Google]
Finishing-Broad-Axe-001-lg.jpg
291KB, 792x594px
>>32683436
There might be a problem if the hatchet looks too much like a weapon if OP actually has to use it.
>>
>>32679891
kek
>>
>>32679743
Ah yes, the "juggalo special."
>>
>>32679743
maybe, why do you axe?
>>
>>32679743
Worse than useless. Bladed weapons are simply not deadly in a world with guns.
>>
File: image.jpg (132KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 800x600px
>>32679743
No.

>>32683436
They're a bit heavy.
Check out this RMJ modded Estwing hatchet: https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68120

>>32683566
kek
Are there even any Juggalos still around or have they all died off?
>>
If I lived in a no guns countey and had to choose a melee wepon for HD I would go Baseball Bat. Hell, a Baseball bat has to be legal everywhere. Even Britbongs can have a BBall bat right?
>>
>chair leg
>nails
>barbed wire
>>
>>32679743
I think I would rather have a club of some kind to be honest. Maces, clubs and bats are really easy to use, as long as you connect it was a successful strike basically. Bladed weapons can do a ton of damage, but if you don't connect with the blade they will not be as effective. That ax has a pretty good blunt bit on the back, but if you hit with the flat of the blade it wont really be that painful most places on the body.

TL;DR Buy a gun. Or a bat.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.