[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Future soldier tech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

When can we expect things like augmented reality and powered exo-armor to become viable in sections of the military?

The idea of giving soldiers much better situational awareness thanks to additional sensors and having computers do all the hard work of pattern recognition, alongside increased protection, strength, and carry capability of powered suits would give them quite an edge.
>>
>>32665971
>When can we expect things like augmented reality and powered exo-armor to become viable in sections of the military?

Immediately after tech advances to the point where bipedal independent drones replace soldiers.

AR requires functional machine vision, exo-suit requires mastery of movement, balance and a viable mobile power supply. With these things you already have a robot that can navigate with ease. Why waste time putting a human inside it.
>>
>>32665971
imagine augmented reality in the battle field

all the ofpor look like little toy barnies or what ever you hate or like and all dead babies on the floor look like candy canes. All smell of death smells like roses and oranges or what ever you want

all done to make you less trumatised lol
>>
File: land-warrior-high-res.jpg (521KB, 920x998px) Image search: [Google]
land-warrior-high-res.jpg
521KB, 920x998px
>>32665971

>augmented reality
If you enjoy being able to actual see your enemy, I suggest keeping it on the down low. Army has the Land Warrior project, which includes the "augmented reality" with a GPS screen eye piece.

>power armor
Moment you find a good battery that doesn't burn out in two weeks, sure.
>>
augmented reality will be viable the moment we have good compact optics. The peripheral technology, all the stuff that can integrate like GPS, range fingers, gyros and accelerometers, acoustic gunfire locators, etc etc, all that tech already exists with reasonable quality. The issue with all of them is reading them on a shitty 240 pixel LCD in the desert sun while somebody is shooting you. Once see-through HMDs are good all those existing sensors and peripheral electronics can be display easily and unobtrusively.
>>
>>32667017
> 2 weeks
Nigga unless its using room temperature superconductors or portable fusion youd be lucky to get a day out of an exo suit without the battery being like a mattress on your back.

The only functional exosuits used today are used on aircraft carriers, literally because they need to be plugged into a nuclear reactor.
>>
>>32665971
>When can we expect things like augmented reality and powered exo-armor to become viable in sections of the military?
the f35 already has that
>>
>>32667046
I believe he means viable for soldiers to carry. The F35 helmet is several pounds and relies on sensors in the cockpit for tracking motion.
>>
>>32667043
That's my point, sci-fi tier exo-skeletons are a nigh impossibility right now.

Weight bearing stuff is our best bet right now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2W23ysgWKI
>>
>>32667064
Being held back solely by power requirements does not make something impossible. Power lifters/exoskeletons as they currently exist need nothing more than a significant improvement in energy density for them to be viable. I seem to remember a frame designed by Japanese university students kinematically matched to human physiology that wouldn't be difficult to hydraulically boost, given proper advances in power generation or just sticking a small turbo rotary on it to run the pump.
>>
>>32667017
I definitely agree on keeping things out of the way. I've been looking into VR/AR software development, and thinking about how that would apply to military AR. tl;dr version, everything that's ever display on the AR should have a real world anchor. That could be a point on the ground or in the distance, a wall, a person, your arm, your torso, it's always fixed to a point that you can look to or look away from. It shouldn't obscure your vision. Simple lines or dots or pointers can be displayed over the environment, moreso if they're semi transparent. Anything complex that you have to interact with should be out of the way, for example anchored to your chest or your wrist so it's not blocking your view in front. Everything should be easily dismissable, so if you grab your rifle the GPS map just goes automatically, or if there's something blocking your view you just slap the button on your helmet to dismiss everything.
>>
Now I feel like a tv show or a movie featuring futuristic warfare
Any suggestions?
also bump
>>
>>32667236
Spectral, Avatar, Aliens, Edge of Tommorow, Stealth, Battle: Los Angeles...

My favorite genre is military sci-fi, so...
>>
Abdul fires his $100 rocket and kills your $120,000+ soldier

The day such tech is cost effective versus other resources is the day we see it implemented

So not any time soon
>>
>>32666913
>You don't know what it's like, man
>all those candy canes just lying broken in a pile
>their gummie bears completely empty
>one of them, he
>he had his stripes removed
>what is wrong with this place man
>>
>>32667236
Can't go wrong with Aliens
>>
File: 1418445796263.png (146KB, 199x200px) Image search: [Google]
1418445796263.png
146KB, 199x200px
>>32667097
>gas turboshaft powerplant/pump
it's nice watching my ideas slowly percolate through the hivemind
>>
>>32667687
the day they start deploying anti-vehicle weapons against the common soldier is the day the project is considered successful

if you can't understand why, just consider the bulk and slow rate of fire of such weapons; when the mahadi militia starts putting recoilless rifles on their technicals we simply re-up light infantry deployments alongside exotroops to take advantage of the lighter curtain of incoming

the meta is always evolving
>>
The Australians are experimenting with an unpowered exosuit and I think that's a much more realistic target for nearer-term adoption. I'm not sure what you mean by augmented reality, but I don't think its unrealistic for a helmet/visor system to come along that incorporates many existing optical/communications equipment into a more streamlined package.
>>
File: 1436881278010.jpg (51KB, 479x447px) Image search: [Google]
1436881278010.jpg
51KB, 479x447px
>>32667687
>gunter and his 100$ dollar ak firing a 30 cent bullet can kill abdul and his 300$ rpg
>rpgs are now useless
>0 cent piece of shrapnel from 30$ dollar hand grenade can kill gunter
>guns are now useless
>hand grenades are king
>all wars will be fought with hand grenades
>war..war has changed
>>
>>32669368
Me and my boy savage rhino know that grenadier is the only real choice
>>
>>32669296
And how does this unpowered exosuit provide any notable advantage?

>>32669368
This is a retarded argument, there are already millions of AKs, RPGS, etc running around and the loss of individual units is not notable. The complete loss of a several-thousand dollar suit is more notable - especially when said suit is at a very risk of destruction.
>>
>>32666913

https://youtu.be/WUhOnX8qt3I
>>
File: 1474594220399.jpg (61KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1474594220399.jpg
61KB, 400x400px
>>32669482
And there's even more hand grenades or potential hand thrown explosives than ak's or RPG's

grenade masterrace>>>>>filthy AK slav scum>RPG mudslimes
>>
>>32669482
>And how does this unpowered exosuit provide any notable advantage?
It doesn't require any power source. It's self-explanatory.
>>
File: oh yes.png (12KB, 390x470px) Image search: [Google]
oh yes.png
12KB, 390x470px
Ghost recon style silhouette projection would be fucking ace.
>send drone up
>get APDS rounds
>lmao what cover?
>>
>>32669609
>walking around with a bunch of unpowered structure and servos slowing you down

THE FUTURE IS HERE
>>
>>32667236
Colony.
>>
>>32667053
Consumer hardware might actually make this feasible.

>the average smartphone is perfectly capable of providing a good VR experience

We just need software to catch up to get AR going with acceptable latency. I'm fairly sure it's within reach on current hardware.
>>
>>32665971
good luck with cheekweld with a full helmet on.
>>
File: exo4.jpg (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
exo4.jpg
1MB, 1280x720px
>>32670054
What do you mean "slowing you down"? Are you functionally retarded? It's a stripped down apparatus designed to assume the burden of a soldier's backpack that doesn't require a power source. It's advantages over no exoskeleton and a powered exoskeleton are obvious and straightforward as are its limitations.
>>
>>32666913
I don't think you'd have to go as far as that, just make it more 'gamey'.

Censor the gore, muffle the screams of pain, dehumanize the enemy so that they're just another NPC to point and click at.
>>
>>32666913
If you have Netflix, watch Black Mirror S3E5 "Men Against Fire"

An entire episode dedicated to that exact idea.

~~~~Spoilers~~~~
The soldiers are being tricked into committing genocide by their AR implants. The chips in their head make them think the "jews" are zombie like creatures, making the soldiers are more likely to shoot them.
>>
File: 1465959791.jpg (14KB, 294x294px) Image search: [Google]
1465959791.jpg
14KB, 294x294px
>>32670056

>Watch first episode
>Guy that collaborates and manipulates people for his own benefit is a literal jew
>>
Bipedal robots are a ways off yet. They're good for doing human stuff in a human environment, but if you want specialization, in the near future, then look at stuff like bigdog.

Crabs or tracked bots are potentially useful too, at least in terms of maybe sticking one in a squad. If you create a minimal forward profile, it becomes viable to actually armour it (front only) to the degree where it's very resistant to small arms. Then you stick a machine gun on top that pops up over the armor, and you have a machine that's immune to suppression, can suppress or even advance under fire, help carry stuff, etc

Obviously, further in the future you get more interesting and versatile stuff. Semi--powered exoskeletons designed to take some of the weight for soldiers and improve endurance is probably near future. The reality though, is that like the first reply said, once you get to the point where you can do things like create actual powered armor, you're probably at the point where humans are the niche units on the battlefield rather than robots.

Also, sensors acting as look-outs for you that only notify you when they spot something is definitely on the table, like you said. Though I might expect more of that to come in the form of quad rotors or better integration of aerial intel with the squad. Less, you look at a screen and see what all these sensors see, and more 'you get a summary of where the problem is and what it is'. The abridged version of all the information, if that makes sense. Otherwise you get overload that just makes everyone worse at their jobs.
>>
Literally all of the 'future' tech hinges on power supplies.

Exo suits needs power, development is hindered by no viable source anytime soon.
VR is a maturing technology, but is hindered by no viable power supply.

If you can pump enough juice into it for long enough, mechanical engineering can be constructed more ruggedly, if more energy inefficient. Once we start seeing things like membrane energy cells, we'll see some crazy shit.
>>
>>32670267
Just fucking with you m8.

This looks similar to that helmet support system.
>>
>>32667017
>>32667043

Are you two retarded? HAL suits only require a power supply able to provide a few kilowatts and are in use in Japanese hospitals right now. Exoskeleton suits could easily be powered by a small gas engine.
>>
>>32677021
>No viable source.

You could literally power them with a 120cc engine.
>>
>>32666030
The human brain is a better battlefield computer than any actual computer. Giving the human body better senses and limbs is easier than making a portable computer which can make decisions as well and as fast a human soldier can.
>>
>>32667669
>recommending Spectral

Fuck that movie it went from amazing to dogshit on an almost linear downward progression. Just steadily increasingly more shit as the movie went on
>>
>>32667669
I disliked how the capabilities of the ghosts in Spectral were so inconsistent. They can jump and glide, but won't jump over a 1m long trail of iron filings on the ground. They're strong and dense enough that one of them practically knocks a tank off the ground with physical force, but in that same scene, the ghosts are unable to resist the wind from a helicopter's downwash. Also they couldn't life a ceramic bathtub but they could lift tanks? It's so inconsistent.
>>
>>32677733
> helicopter's down wash
Not saying the movie didn't have a shit ton of inconsistency, but technically the down wash was throwing the metal shavings into the air and those were what was holding them back.

This still doesn't explain making future plasma guns out of random cell phone/radio parts or randomly finding like 3 Big Dog robots in a castle in Moldova and also making future cell phone cannons to mount on them.
>>
>>32677720
Just watched it, couldn't agree more.

I started off watching it with keen interest, only to slowly get more and more disappointed as everything gradually turned to shit.

The hyperspectrum goggles and that superlaser were a bit of a stretch at the start, but I feel like whoever was giving science and military advice decided to walk out of the studio quite early on in the production.

Shit like sending the translator woman into combat after she'd clearly experienced some pretty severe concussion, or the scientist dude somehow completely forgetting about having to pull the main switch after loosening(?) each of the large wires, which is something that woman told him right before they started working.

I liked that they were able to improvise those iron-shrapnel weapons, but somehow being able to whip up fucking plasma rifles from a bunch of random military hardware is a step too far, and don't even get started on that 'bose-einstein condensate' ghost army idea.
>>
File: 1482759399036.jpg (142KB, 900x556px) Image search: [Google]
1482759399036.jpg
142KB, 900x556px
>>
>>32677547
why the fuck are they not using the flamethrower on soldiers?
Oh yeah, petrol and burning shit that could explode.
Gas engine yeah, good job my friend, everything going electric and look at you strapping a moped engine on a soldier.
>>
>>32677807

>Solider carrying ammunition, explosives, camp stove fuel.
>But god forbid they carry a few liters of petrol or hydrogen.

If you get shot or lit on fire you have bigger problems then what is in your backpack.

Congratulations, you are retarded.
>>
>>32677807
Because flamethrowers and molotovs work so well on modern tanks, right?

First off, I doubt that these suits would use anything other than diesel fuel, which has a much higher flashpoint than petrol.

Second, there's no way that a power suit would have an unarmored engine compartment, which is also a sensible place to put the fuel tank, meaning both can be easily insulated from heat and small arms.

Third, even if the engine was choked off and forced to shut down, it's reasonable to assume that these suits would have internal batteries either as a backup or part of a hybrid system, which means the suit could operate long enough to let a molotov extinguish or for the soldier to remove the flamethrower threat.
>>
>>32677733
I think my real issue with the movie is threefold (spoilers obvs)

>went from spooky single ghost movie to "HOLY SHIT WE'RE BEING CHASED BY A FUCKING TON OF THESE THINGS"
>when you actually look up what Bose-Einstein condensate is it's just a particle frozen to almost absolute zero
>the movie makes up some bullshit about why it can't go through clay or what not but never explains how the ghosts are controlled or how they are wirelessly able to stay cool because the second they waste a single soldier or two they are going to lose any sort of cohesion (read: warm up)

The ghosts powers were inconsistent and stupid and really the movie would have been way better if they just went the route of "Oh yeah this spooky science lab has made it so it can separate neural energy for the body and transmit assholes, so these soldiers are just going around and sucking the energy out of people, or whatever

And then them nigrigging all that super awesome gear together so they can have the actually badass fight scene at the end? Okay thats cool but not the explanation of how you found this shit lying around and rigged it up. How the fuck did the guy plug multiple guns together on nigrigged equipment?
>>
>>32677807
Flamethrowers aren't used because they are very heavy, unreliable, deeply unpleasant to use and generally ineffective.

The pressure tank is also far more vulnerable to serious failures then the fuel. High pressure nitrogen, the real killer.
>>
>>32677761
Nah the googles were fine, and a great plot point to get the movie going. Government tech is "malfunctioning" with an impossible issue, so they call the engineer in to look at it. 10/10 set up for the movie.

The first major warning sign in the movie for me was "Oh I've turned this camera lens the other way around, so now I'm able to project light and make them visible" - and as someone who has professionally worked on scripts in the past this was a huge, huge red flag in the "They are going to just keep making shit up, aren't they?" department.

And then from there, we know what happens :/
>>
>battlesuits become commonplace
>14.5mm rifles revival
This makes my inner Simonov happy.
>>
>>32677758
I agree that the movie had many faults but don't they specifically say that the ranking officer brought them from the military base that was overrun?
>>
>>32678073
>'assault rifles' that's basically an AR-10 chambered in .50 BMG with 30 round magazines
>DMRs in 20x102, 57 fucking kj of muzzle energy
>>
>>32678216
No they brought a bunch of gear and components - none of which is calibrated or designed to do what they do in the next scene. The engineer had to go and nig-rig all that shit together to get them to do what they wanted to do.

We don't know what those things original purpose was, but remember how he took a camera and then turned it into a high powered flashlight? He did that to the shit they brought from base and VOILA, magical arsenal of ghost guns
>>
>>32678073
>14,5mm KPV heavy machine guns are wielded on exoskeleton harness
>>
>>32677547
>small gas engine
>get heard from a mile away

Yeah.... no. Also, can you tell me the battery equipment is different from being in a hospital where an electrical outlet can be spotted every ten feet.

Also, I did mention >>32667064. So actually read the thread before posting.
>>
>>32677845
Are you that special kind of Kentucky hick that thinks his shit doesn't smell yet he doesn't know jack shit?

Ammo, grenades, and camp stove fuel are far less combustible and dangerous than having either a fluid that can easily cover everything and then burn at a spark, or high pressure gas that'll make you a miniature Hindenburg. No less in a small engine, that mind you, is strapped to their back and running.
>>
File: SPIW.jpg (7KB, 400x100px) Image search: [Google]
SPIW.jpg
7KB, 400x100px
>>32665971
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.