[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Archers? In my modern battlefield!?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 21

File: Outrider from CoD Black Ops 3.png (982KB, 856x691px) Image search: [Google]
Outrider from CoD Black Ops 3.png
982KB, 856x691px
OK to any of you professional combat experts, tell me; is pic related a meme? What mean is in any /k/ related scenario or setting, there's always gonna be ONE guy or gal who's some expert maksman but uses a bow and arrow as a gimmick or "signature weapon." Despite being in a scenario where people have long range guns and robots that can shoot missiles in your face.

Seriously, how "applicable" is the whole archer thing in a modernized or "futuristic" combat scenario? Or is it just a silly fictional thing because guns and drones beat bow-and-arrow?

Pic related is a character from a videogame which setting is future sci-fi with high tech guns, energy weapons (FREAKIN' LASER BEAMS), and combat robots with miniguns and missiles and what not. Again what's with the bow and arrow archer gimmick when you got guns?

Please explain.
>>
>>32664900
No.
This is the same game that put a Garand in spess.
So, ++No.
>>
>>32664900
>Please explain.
What is to explain? Archery takes 10yrs or more to master and I can teach a man in an hour to kill your from farther away then you could kill them.
>>
>>32664900
I think you realize it's a meme but you don't want to admit it. It's okay anon
>>
>>32664900

Really, really, REALLY niche role in disabling suicide bombers and shooting holes into things that would otherwise explode if you put a bullet through them, which is why China uses archers for security. Not something you want to base your whole act around.
>>
>>32664917
>future Garand

Really? Since when? Haven't played this game franchise since BO2.
>>
>>32664983
>>
File: 102uhz7.jpg (12KB, 423x230px) Image search: [Google]
102uhz7.jpg
12KB, 423x230px
200% video game meme

The only thing remotely similar was the OSS crossbows used during WWII. Technically slingbows. Seems to be just a cheaper alternative to suppressed firearms, nobody uses these anymore, all the spook types just use suppressors.
>>
>>32664999
Wow, well atleast it looks nice. Also you made me lol for a good minute, so thanks.
>>
Hmm, I'm surprised and a bit dissapointed no one brought up Mad Jack Churchill.
>>
archery gurls in hollywood is supposed to be some noble fucking thing because guns are icky and only the bad guys use them ive noticed.
>>
>>32664900
For combat it is not applicable. Suppressed firearms have 3 times velocity and effective range, 10 times more fire rate. Bows have no combat application. They may have some utilitarian applications like throwing grappling hooks on walls, ships or razor wire fences.

>>32664925
Britbong, pls kys.
>>
>>32664900
>he saw some shit in a videogame and became convinced that this is something that happens in the real world
>>
>>32664900
Well maybe there MIGHT be some combat application for that chick and her bow weapon. Knowing her and her weapon. (yes me play CoD BO3 so what?) That's a futuristic compound bow that shoots explosive arrows.

So maybe an archer shtick like that OP pic is plausible if the bow has improvements that make it easier to handle and have better arrows; like explosive ones that the character in OP's pic uses.
>>
>>32665174
Funny story, I thought the idea of suppressed fire arms instantly means quite guns until I was seventeen.
>>
>>32665174
Who said I thought it was applicable, I just doubted and thought its better I ask /k/

>>32665065
Sorry, who?
>>
>>32664900

Are you Mad Jack Churchill

if not then the answer is no
>>
>>32665205
The last great Scot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill
>>
File: captain-mad-jack-churchill-1.jpg (31KB, 500x297px) Image search: [Google]
captain-mad-jack-churchill-1.jpg
31KB, 500x297px
>>32665205
>Sorry, who?
Scottish guy who carried a longbow and Scottish claymore into combat during WWII.
>>
>>32664900
>in any conflict based setting there are going to be people who use atypical weapons in order to make them distinct from the rest of the cannon fodder
Yep

>Sometimes these weapons are bows
Yep

>how well does it work in a futurized combat scenario
That depends entirely upon how far you're willing to bend the existing rules, or invent new rules by inserting technology or pressures or whatever that makes your bow and arrow viable.

In reality, no, bows are far inferior to firearms when it comes to actual combat.

it'd be a neat serial killer weapon, or a weapon to take to places where getting a gun is an enormous pain in the ass. If you're trying to assassinate a specific target, for example.

But outside of those and other very, very niche roles, no.

>Why do they do this? Does it have any basis in reality?
No, it does not have any basis in reality. You've kind of answered your own question.

They picked the weapon because they needed something to set this particular character apart from the rest so you would sit up and take notice of it, and they liked the connotations that come with using a bow. So they gave the character a bow and twisted the rules of engagement, combat, and/or technology and physics until that bow became viable. Or just flat out didn't even bother explaining why this fucker with a tool that's outmoded by hundreds of years can somehow keep up with the latest and greatest.

In a setting with energy weapons and combat robots with missiles and miniguns, you've already taken a step away from reality. They might pay lip service to the idea of "realism", but at the end of the day they're just trying to make it look really cool and badass without twisting suspension of disbelief's arm so hard that the average 14 year old can't enjoy it.

Your suspension of disbelief is more fragile than theirs, so congratulations and welcome! You're on the path to becoming a discerning /k/ommando.
>>
>>32664900
>>32665261

So in short, yes. It is a meme.
>>
The Black Ops series never should have left the 20th Century.
>>
>>32664900
Eurofags who are noguns could benefit from arming up with bows and using human wave tactics.
>>
>>32665239
More impressive is the guy going into combat with the camera.
>>
>>32665302
And then will proceed to ban bows and arrows because of how oh-so-dangerous they are, while knife-related deaths continue to rise up.
>>
>>32665174
>he saw some shit in a video game, doubted it, and asked /k/ to confirm
you have some 'interesting' reading comprehension
>>
File: Firebreak_menu_icon_BO3.png (791KB, 856x691px) Image search: [Google]
Firebreak_menu_icon_BO3.png
791KB, 856x691px
>>32664900
Honestly anon, i think you chose the wrong type of gal to complain about. Because i think Alessandra "Outrider" Castillo would be plausible in a combat scenario since she uses not a regular compund bow. But a special one that shoots explosive arrows.

In my opinion, the real Offender Of the atypical weapon user is pic related: Krystof "Firebreak" Hejek. The slav bastard uses a fucking flamethrower in the future age of energy weapons and advanced combat drones. Whereas Outrider makes sense to a certain extent.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOM4IQjQtM4

Bow & Arrow vs Firearms 1961 US Army Special Forces
>>
File: B_RyZENWkAAv8-7[1].jpg (49KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
B_RyZENWkAAv8-7[1].jpg
49KB, 500x330px
>>
>>32665320
>guy lands on beach all alone with 30kg of camera gear
>clears the beach on his own by ruthlessly killing all germans by smashing their heads in with tripod
>sets up his camera and waits until the real landing starts
>takes photo of wannabe badass and his faggot sword
>>
File: ympKpXl[1].jpg (966KB, 1500x1010px) Image search: [Google]
ympKpXl[1].jpg
966KB, 1500x1010px
>>
>>32665291
Unpopular opinion: I think its okay for the CoD series to stick with its far future sci fi zetting(s). They've already gone far with it, so they might aswell stick to it. And Black Ops 2's techno music bright colored future setting is my favorite, next to Black Ops part 3.
>>
>>32666028
Not an unpopular opinion anon, because I and other people woud agree on you with that.
>>
File: hey whats goin on in this thread.jpg (290KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hey whats goin on in this thread.jpg
290KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>32664900
It should be obvious this is a silly hollywood and videogame thing. Guns beat bow and arrow, simple.

Also the only type of peoplewho'd be using bows even in a modernized or futuristic setting are Elves.
>>
Sure they're relevant. If you have a bow, you use that to get a gun!
>>
>>32666086
>arrow quiver
>strapped on the back, making it a hassle to pull out the arrows

When will this meme end?
>>
>>32666028
>>32666055
I'm hearing infinitte warfare is bretty meh/bad.
Is COD finally on it's last legs?
>>
File: Parachute Arrow.webm (172KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Parachute Arrow.webm
172KB, 640x360px
>>32666104
When trick arrows stop being badass
>>
File: 1482428495577.png (366KB, 745x678px) Image search: [Google]
1482428495577.png
366KB, 745x678px
>>32664900
>>32666086
>>32666094
>Silly humans, you should all stick to your guns and other loud weapons. We elves are clearly the best archers ever since we've mastered the art for years upon years and ages.
>>
>>32666106
The multiplayer for Infinite Warfare is as meh and mediocare as modern day CoD gets. But the single player campaign story was actually pretty nice.
>>
>>32665291
The Black Ops series should've had weapons that weren't anachronistic in the 20th century parts of the games.
>>
>>32666310

Lets fill a ship with hundreds of drones that can be hacked with any hand held device.
>>
>>32664983
not only you, i stopped playing COD since 3 which is already mediocre enough.
>>
File: what the fuck.jpg (56KB, 1180x1080px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.jpg
56KB, 1180x1080px
>>32664925

This.

Guns are literally the reason why archery took a huge downturn.

As for OPs question, we're not even talking about muskets, we're talking about future weapons with future sights etc.

Some special forces (very rarely if ever) have used them for removing sentries. That's it.

Also, what makes me worried is that even though OP was suspicious of the whole concept, he wasn't sure enough to NOT make a thread.

If archery (barely but nevertheless) passes the bullshit radar of young people these days, imagine how much they know about anything else gun-related :(
>>
>>32665142
>Brirbong place
What's your point? The gist of what he said was correct.
>>
>>32665273
I don't think you know what a meme is.
Using a bow in modern combat is horseshit, not a meme.
>>
>>32666656
You'd think, as far as taking out sentries, that if something like a De Lisle exists, why would you bother with a bow anyway.
>>
>OK to any of you professional combat experts
KEK
>>
>>32664900
The bow looks unwieldy as fuck
>>
>>32666721
just to be argumentative, it's a meme in videogames to have bows mixed with modern firearms
>>
>>32665239
>Mad Jack
this is his theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrAT27OdJYc

>>32664900
I can see x-bows being used by leet operators in a compound raid like the one on Bin Laden to get rid of sentries really quietly. You could mount lasers and use optics with arrow drop compensation and all that. but it's very niche. other than that, a simple fucking Glock 17 provides more reach, accuracy and power than an english warbow.
>>
File: index.jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4KB, 259x194px
>>32665142
>They may have some utilitarian applications like throwing grappling hooks on walls

can cannon or simple rifle grenades work better for that too.
>>
>>32666797
>I can see x-bows being used by leet operators in a compound raid like the one on Bin Laden to get rid of sentries really quietly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsUALdGog4U
>>
I saw a documentary from some African shit nation where one of the people being interviewed had served in a war using a bow.

He was employed as a guard and still went around with his bow, which had poisoned arrows.

Great for sneaky stuff and all that

Also Rambo II
>>
there are vids on YT of idiots putting ammo cases with powder and other such shit on arrows and shooting hard stuff. usually the explosion propels the arrow straight back with more force than it came in with. Stupid and suicidal.
>>
File: tumblr_mwsqkjwet81r8sc3ro2_250.gif (288KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwsqkjwet81r8sc3ro2_250.gif
288KB, 192x192px
Let's derail this topic. Anyone know of a good bow shop in Minneapolis I can visit to get fitted? I'm 6'6" and want to get a recurve bow to fuck around with.
>>
>>32666828
I've been to Bwana's in Little Canada, all I did was buy some arrows but they seemed like good folks. Haven't been back because I haven't lost all my arrows yet, I shoot guns more than my bow. I should break that out now that it's not so cold.
>>
>>32664999
>Must empty clip to reload

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
>>
>>32664900
Bows? no, never,

Crossbows? Actually yes. Most arrows can cut through body Armour breddy well.

Would Crossbows work in Space?
>>
>>32664983
BO2 was an amazing game.
>>
>>32664925
>archery takes 10 years

It only took me a couple of weeks, but I get your point. Also it has a effective range of maybe 100m at best?
>>
>>32666945
>Would Crossbows work in Space?

See, I was thinking that too. There would be no need for stabalizers in space either, just a straight projectile.

I imagine they would be able to puncture a space suit easily. But do to the zero gravity nature of space I can also picture space suits basically becoming tanks.
>>
File: obama_laughing1[1].jpg (33KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
obama_laughing1[1].jpg
33KB, 400x267px
>>32664999
>file name
>>
>>32665013
many moons a go saw a training vid of the japanese spec ops i think they use cross bows and shit
>>
The only time I can think of a bow being applicable would be if you were in some sort of Vietnam style warzone, innajungle, and you end up all alone and you run out of ammo, or lose your gun somehow. Then you could potentially make a bundle-bow out of saplings and boot laces. You could hunt critters, possibly kill an enemy (if not just injure him or miss and get yourself seen, then killed.)

You'd have to be a damn good shot with it though. Bonus points for poo tipped arrows.
>>
>>32666979
>There would be no need for stabalizers in space either, just a straight projectile.
Then it would tumble in fight. You need spin stabilized arrows for spess.
>>
File: reeeeeeee.png (290KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeee.png
290KB, 680x680px
>>32664999
>Semi-auto assault rifle
>>
>>32664900
No. It's fun on Farcry. There is absolutely no place for it in modern war. I've been overseas, but my credentials don't really matter in this instance, because it's common fucking sense.
>>
You'd need to know real well just what you were doing, what with regards to shot placement and comparatively crazy limited range and rate of fire.
They're also pretty obvious to observers when you use them.
Someone being wounded by an arrow also looks a lot worse than someone wounded by a bullet, so poor shots would hurt you, PR-wise.

For use as a stopgap for an insurgent force in a place where it's hard to come by real firepower, I guess you could do worse.
>>
>>32666933
This pisses me off so much in Verdun. If I could doubletap reload to cycle the action that would improve the game so much.

>solid snek with my C96
>3 rounds left
>only option is to sneak around with 3 fucking rounds like an idiot or to immediately alert everyone to my position by magdumping.

Just end me already.
>>
>>32664979
Hold up. You're telling me a flying piece of metal will not blow up a suicide bomber, but a faster piece of metal will? I don't think so, buddy boy. If an explosive material is so volatile that it will blow up from a round hitting it, then an arrow will do the same exact thing.
>>
>>32667233
>This week, on MotherJOnes
>FULLY semi-AUTOMATIC ASSULT RIFL!
>>
>>32664900

First off, it's On the modern battlefield. Would you say: "He's in the field." Or "He's On the field."?

Fucking illiterate retards asking absolutely retarded questions.

NO, BOWS ARE OBSOLETE, YOU FUCKING IDIOT. GO AWAY.

YEAH I MAD
>>
>>32666016
>>32666020
>>32666024
That's really neat anon, thanks for posting
>>
>>32665186
Nah, grenade launchers have been around for a long time and 40mms have a substantially greater range and payload while being easier to carry around. Even the sad little 25mms make more sense
>>
>>32666656
As an weapon for combat? Yeah that's kinda silly.

But as a sport and important skill?

We need to keep it alive.
>>
>>32666868
Whoa whoa whoa...
Places in the states have "Little Canada"s?
That is surreal as fuck to me.

Closest thing to that I have ever seen was a Canuck hockey beach bar in Honduras called Sundowners. But a whole area? What do they have there? Is there a Tim's? Crappy Tire?
>>
OK I have contemplated this and bow/arrows could have bigger specops applications than you guys have already said.

Missles. Just use a missle launcher you say. But with a bow you can get the missle up in the air or a few hundred meters without using any propellant. This allows for smaller missles of which more you can carry and doesn't give away your position.

Say you have semi-smart misslearrows. One guy could go sit in a bush with a wheelbarrow full of them and just shit them in random directions at an enemy encampment for an hour without giving away his position and likely leading them to think they are surrounded. He shoots it to the left, right, or above the base and the missile fires it goes to a laser guided center.

Also effective as a short range mortar that once again doesn't create a big fucking noise/blast/smoke at your position and you can carry more ammo. Just shoot the fucker up in the air, a more front heavy explosive laden arrow, and it will drop down onto the enemy.

Theoretically with laser guidance and even a small amount of propellant it could be a pretty long range weapon. Mark your target, fire, as it starts losing altitude the propellant ignites, propellant runs out about 100m from target, all of a sudden Hamid falls over as an electrified shit-covered exploding tip arrow comes out of fucking nowhere and hits him right in the cock.
>>
>>32666310
>>32666106
this, mutliplayer was same old, same old, but singleplayer was surprisingly not bad
>>
>>32667476
You say "in the field" to refer to tactical and logstical developments in current warfare.

"On the field" refers to sports.
>>
>>32664999
I actually like the idea of this weapons desu...
>>
>>32664999
I got it out of a supply drop and I can report that it's not very useful.

It's two shots to kill in core games. Eight rounds, and you can't tactical reload. So, if you have perfect accuracy and are aiming at center mass, you can only get four kills before reloading.

This rifle is very reliant on being accurate- something that's kind of hard to do when everyone's sprinting around, boosting through the air, and running on walls.
>>
>>32665998
Well, Firebreak is fucking insane, so it's part of his persona.

>>32666024
I love space and science fiction, so I really like Infinite Warfare's setting. It's not too bad, gameplay wise. But I like the setting and I hope CoD does more crazy, futuristic stuff.
>>
Look at a bow, and the effective space it occupies.
Then look at a rifle.
Look at an arrow, and then look at a cartridge, and the space it occupies.

And that's ignoring the superior accuracy range and speed.

Bows are great for improvised weapons, but that's where it ends.
>>
File: 1482134473227.jpg (68KB, 860x693px) Image search: [Google]
1482134473227.jpg
68KB, 860x693px
>>32668050
>Hey what's that dick with the wheelbarrow of arrows out there up to?
>>
>>32667849
I'll visit it this weekend and give you an update. Got some threads you frequent?
>>
The only advantage to using a bow is the reusable ammo. I guess if you're city gets attacked and you survive with a nice bow and a bunch of arrows you could potentially use it in an effective way to hunt and stealthily kill attackers as like a must do situation but you could never be offensive with it. It isn't really even quiet I would doubt a bow would be a clean kill
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.