[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Transferring a firearm from someone with dementia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 20161220_195724.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_195724.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Quick question, my grandpa has had several mini strokes and basically has symptoms of dementia. He has several firearms in his name located throughout his home. I have already gone and unloaded them but left them in place as my grandmother's request. This was when we were unsure what was wrong and hoped he'd get better.

Now that we know he isn't, and my grandmother is incredibly afraid of firearms how do I go about transferring them out of his name and into mine so they don't just go to waste.

Atm he has some sort of small caliber shotgun (didn't look at the brand or caliber at the time however the stock is sawed off)
a highpoint (yes I know highpoint...)
A small .22 firearm of some sort (think those little prostitute pistols, not a Derringer 2 shot but close)
And a .22 assult rifle with sawed off stock (this is already going to be impossible to transfer as I'm in CA)

anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to get these out of their home ASAP. As I said I live in southern California, since I know we have bullshit gun laws.

Also pic unrelated it's a pigeon at my work
>>
Just draft up a bill of sale with all the firearms/serials you want to transfer listed and have your grandpa sign it, if he's willing/able. If he's unable to do it himself because of the condition, have your grandma sign on his behalf as long as it's not going to cause him issues.
>>
>>32659808
Fpbp.
>>
>>32659773
That's a nice pigeon.
>>
>>32659808
Problem is I live in california. I just did a transfer before the new bills went into law. We have to be at a certified dealer, sign forms, thumb print, 10 day holding period etc etc. Whenever he has a lucid episode were all so excited to just talk to him there's no way I would be able to steal him to transfer, and when he's not lucid it's impossible to get him to do anything. Let alone the people at the store letting me order this man to sign forms who's obviously not in the right mind set.

Also what happens to the firearms if he dies?
>>
>>32659845
Thanks, he slammed into my showroom floor window and couldn't fly away for a day or two so I fed him goldfish crackers while he chilled on a car we had outside
>>
Bump :(
>>
>>32659875
The state will seize them, chop them up, sell the iron for scrap, and donate the money to everytown. I'm sorry you live in California. Perhaps you should start killing politicians.
>>
>>32659875

Move them out of the state, then.
>>
>>32659773
Just take them and hide them. No one needs to know.
>>
>>32659773
No waiting period or ffl necessary for intra-family transfers.

>Can I give a firearm to my adult child? >Can he/she give it back to me later?
>Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category, pdf and the firearm is legal to possess (e.g., not an assault weapon). The transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. The exemption does not apply to step-children/step-parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, or cousins.

>If the firearm is a handgun, the recipient must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate prior to taking possession and must also submit a Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days after taking possession.

>The same rules apply to the return of the firearm at a later date.

(Pen. Code, ยงยง 27870-27875, 30910-30915.)

Now, here's the crux of the issue- how long ago did your grandfather buy the guns? If he's had then for more than 20 years, there's no chance that they're registered or otherwise in the system. Based on your description of the guns, I find it highly unlikely that your grandfather ever registered them with any entity. Nor do they sound like they have any great resale value. If they're not in the system, I don't see why you should add to the DOJ workload by filing reports and paying fees. Those poor bastards already have enough on their plate

Tell your grandmother that you'll get rid of them, talk about checking around with several secondhand dealers and collectors for the best deal. Take the guns, give your grandma $500, tell her it's from some pawn shop in Culver City. Or Pomona.

Now you have some off-the-books guns. This is not a bad thing. Stock up on ammo before the background checks and monthly limits kick in next year.
>>
>>32659875
how far back are we talking when he bought these?

Did you really?.....I mean if this was a handwritten and signed document....You could just change the date and they would never know. Just saying.
>>
>>32660280
Thanks for the info. My grandma wouldn't ask for any money. I'm the only person in my family who owns firearms and me and him are both USAF veterans. She can appreciate the fact that I'd want them for sentimental value.

Also mother is dispatcher for LEO dad is prior LEO so I can't get away with non registered firearms their panties will get in a twist. Dad doesn't know anymore due to him being retired and out of the loop moving out of state. Mom doesn't know much about firearm laws to begin with.

How would I go about registering the handguns with Doj? Do I have to go into a licensed dealer or is it just a form I mail in?
>>
>>32660394
The transfer before laws went into effect was a seperate thing. I was buying an AR off a friend. Transfer was in December of 2016
>>
>>32660401
I wish I could help you by offering advice, but from what you're describing, California is seriously fucked. Jesus. If I were in your situation in my state I'd just take them and that'd be the end of it. Like they go into my car and it'd be over. Don't register them. The state doesn't trust you with them, that's why they make you jump through all these hoops. Don't trust them with the information that you own them.
>>
>>32660458
That's what part of me wants to do. Just say fuck it and keep them out of system. But I'm trying to do it the right way on the off chance some bullshit happens like someone breaks in, I blow them away with a shotgun and then I'm in trouble for not registering it and all that shit. If it's just a couple papers and some cash I'll do it legal. But it's getting ridicilous in CA
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.