[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leaving Safety Off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (42KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 500x377px
I have a Shield with the safety.

Some guy on the Internet said I should train to sweep off the safety every single time I draw because if I ignore it, it could be inadvertently engaged when I don't want it to.

Is this true or can I just leave the safety off and ignore it?
>>
>>32659341
I have a Shield w/saftey and I just leave it off. I only got the safety version because the non-safety version was sold out and I couldn't pass up the sale($290).
>>
Just leave it off. The best safety is keeping your finger off the trigger.
>>
you should sell it and get the safetyless version
>>
>>32659341
Do whatever you're comfortable with, and ignore the Glockfags telling you that a safety is useless.

Personally, I carry an old P38 with a round chambered and the safety on. It's an extra bit of safety and the only trade-off is that I train to sweep the safety off with my non-dominant hand during my draw. After a bit of practice, I've been able to draw just as quickly as if I didn't have a safety. The way I view it, having an extra bit of safety all the time is worth having a marginally fumblier draw should the unthinkable happen and I actually need my weapon.

That's me though. Do you value shaving an extra millisecond or two off your draw, or an extra layer of mechanical safety? Figure that out for yourself and act accordingly.
>>
>>32659341
>>32659986

yeah op. listen to this dude, not the glockfags crying about stress shooting.

just practice sweeping the safety as you draw. only a retard would honestly forget to take off the safety before shooting. and honestly, when are you ever going to have to draw and immediately mag dump?

remember this board is full of neckbeard autists, and make your decision accordingly.
>>
>>32660941

Sometimes I forget about taking the safety off when I'm target shooting and chatting with my buddies at the same time.

That's the only time. If I'm by myself then it's a non issue since all of my guns (except my nugget) have easily used safeties.
>>
>>32659341
Leave it off it you want. Unless you've swapped out the trigger with something that's less than a pound, the stock one is heavy enough to not worry about it.

I leave it on, but I carried a 1911 beforehand, so the sweep comes natural to me. But I really don't see a problem with leaving the safety off in the Shield if it's your carry.
>>
>>32659341
Train to click it off when you draw just in case.
>>
>>32659341
>some guy on the internet told me X
>hey other random guys on the internet, is X right?

But yes, he's right. You wouldn't want the gun to not fire because you accidentally bumped the safety on and forgot to switch it off.
>>
>>32659341
>carrying a gun with a manual safety
>not using it

Why?
>>
>>32660941
I am this guy
>>32661187
but I also agree with this guy, if you're going to not use the safety, id sell it and buy the safetyless version. however, if you train to sweep the safety off when you draw, I think using a safety is a better idea.
>>
I was more asking weather it's a good idea to even train to sweep the safety as opposed to just ignoring it. I would've got the safety less but this one was cheaper
>>
>>32659390
Did you buy it from a Base's gun counter?
>>
>>32661625
yep, it was a sale at a PX.
>>
File: 1467556816175.jpg (45KB, 262x394px) Image search: [Google]
1467556816175.jpg
45KB, 262x394px
>>32661617
>it's a good idea to even train to
This is the answer to your question. Good day sir.
>>
>>32661740
Fuckin' hell, I did the same thing. 287 out the door, no tax, safety only model. Got the last one at Offutt.
>>
>>32661617
Everyone has already told you the answer is yes, train to turn it off. Why the fuck wouldn't you? If your carry gun has a manual safety there are two ways you can find it once you draw

1 - With the safety off
2 - With the safety on

If you're going to carry with the safety off you should train to sweep it off since it can be switched on in your holster and the last thing you want should you ever need to draw is to not have the gun go bang when you pull the trigger because you forgot to switch off the safety.
>>
>>32661814
Actually I just saw a "you need a manual safety on your pistol glockfags are retarded" flame war
>>
I hate the shield safety

Too hard to get off and on just like the bodyguard

In my limited experience I am unsure that I would trust myself to get it right in a high stress scenario.
>>
>>32661832
I see two posts telling you to sell it and get something without a safety, and the rest just saying the obvious answer of training to turn the safety off every time no matter if you carry with it on or off.

This isn't complicated. What advantages would "just ignoring it" even have? The safety should be off by the time you have the gun fully drawn anyway.
>>
The only real problem with any mechanically sound trigger safety gun is the chance of something snagging onto the trigger.
The biggest culprit in my mind, outside of people with bad trigger fingers, is reholstering.
If you get lazy or have loose as fuck clothing and odds and ends all about, you will find yourself catching some going in with your gun.
But tucking things and being tidy, or even just paying attention when reholstering will just kick that risk down to very minuscule levels.
>>
>>32661850
I assume S&W offered it for jurisdictions where manual safeties are required. But they screwed up by putting one just big enough to get knocked on rather than following the Ruger route of having a safety so small it's impractical to use.
>>
In reality what are the odds that the safety comes on when you don't want it to in the holster? The safety on the Shield is really clicky and not easy to engage imho
>>
>>32659341
Take it off and leave it off forever
>>
>>32659341
I agree with the "some guy"
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.