[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

While the stated purpose of exoskeletons is to help soldiers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13

File: power armor.png (549KB, 818x500px) Image search: [Google]
power armor.png
549KB, 818x500px
While the stated purpose of exoskeletons is to help soldiers carry heavier loads and not to actually support armor, what practical uses would a fully armored suit have on any kind of battlefield?
>>
>>32651237
Attracting RPGs.
>>
>>32651319
And your mum attracts my dick.
>>
>>32651237

>a fully armored suit have on any kind of battlefield?

Not possible atm - the only thing that's going to stop battle rifle rounds are ceramics. Ceramics can only take a few hits.

Basically, the way it's going to be used is this - pull up an APC to a building that needs to be taken intact for whatever reason, have heavies dismount, clear, and get back in the APC.

Except by the time we have exoskeletons carrying that kind of armor, we will have highly-mobile armored drones.

There is just no reason to sent a person when a drone can do the same job.
>>
>>32651511
>There is just no reason to sent a person when a drone can do the same job.
Pure autism. Drones are nothing without operators.
>>
>>32651533

Arguing with you is like arguing with a legitimately disabled child. Who said anything about "without operators". If you can pull up an APC and dismount infantry, you can pull up an APC and dismount drones.

If you have a fully armored exoskeleton, you basically have a drone. And guess what, a drone doesn't need temperature regulation, air filtering, and expensive tactile control.

>Muh jamming

I said an APC pulls up. The APC can hold the operators. From there, you have local control with no lag.

>but muh walls
>but muh jamming

Drag a wire. Drop mini drones to relay shit around corners in deep bunkers.
>>
>>32651511
>>32651533
the only reason why I can see exoskeletons/powerarmor becoming a thing when flying/walking near invulnerable drones will be even easier to produce from the same technology is the PR nightmare of fully autonimous murderbots with no direct human control/no human being in harms way to justify a military response to an attack.
>>
>>32651577
Oh shit i love the idea of the wire.
Fucking Hard wired mechanical drones stomping through Ghetto slum buildings. Could also run power to the drones as well so you can cut down on bulk for the battery.
Think old timey diving men with the air hoses.
When the cable is Severed Drone switches to battery and retreats back to the APC. Or goes Defense mode or sentry mode.

I'm thinking about this more from a videogame point of view than anything else.
>>
>>32651652

All of this is actually 3spooky5me.
>>
File: 1gjed6.jpg (43KB, 568x335px) Image search: [Google]
1gjed6.jpg
43KB, 568x335px
>>32651533
The sole purpose of FARPA is to have drones map out threat zones for armored exo troops to engage said areas in a safe & effective manner. Drones will always be support to main forces, just enhanced and improved.
>>32651511
poster below you is 100% correct,your post is pure unrefined autism could bottle that up and sell it on the black market.
>>
>>32651935

>poster below you is 100% correct,your post is pure unrefined autism could bottle that up and sell it on the black market.

Sure, he has a point, but that doesn't mean that you are any less of an idiot. It's funny to watch you throw around "autism" while not understanding anything about the topic you started.
>>
>>32651959
More funny that you waste your time typing that out instead of adding additional content to OP's thread.
>>32651652
>I'm thinking about this more from a videogame point of view than anything else.

critical mission failure.
>>
>>32651511
>>32651577
>If you have a fully armored exoskeleton, you basically have a drone
Not even close. Exoskeletons rely on human instinct to stay upright, maintain balance, and move over terrain the isn't flat concrete. Legged robots require very expensive computers to do the same. You say that "tactile controls" are expensive, but that's just an outright lie. For nearly ten years anyone could go to wal-mart and buy toys which can read nerve impulses and translate them to mechanical action. Even if they aren't humanoid, they still have all the same weaknesses as any other armored vehicle, like RPGs and IEDs. They can indeed be jammed, no matter how much you try to dismiss this fact. If you were to incorporate a tether into it, that's just one more weakness. In the event of either a jamming or a wire severing, the machines are useless and the operators are sitting ducks. Don't even think about "autonomy" as if they would be some kind of Star Wars battle droid. You know that computers and AI of that caliber don't exist and aren't coming around within our grandchildren's lifetime. Meanwhile, the technology for powered exoskeletons already exists and had been mass produced for at least two years at this point; They simply aren't armored.
>>
>>32651652
>>32651743
>roll up on slum
>deploy drone squad
>enemy targets the cables exclusively
>drone squad retreats or halts their advance
>>
>>32652484
Drones covering the cables and the corridors as they sweep.
>>
>implying I can't open carry my power armor in Chipotle
>>
>>32651237
>what practical uses would a fully armored suit have on any kind of battlefield?
He is armored.

Armored people are protected against the threat they are armored against. Meaning if they face the threat they are designed to face they will be hard to kill. If it face something it is not designed to stop then it will not do that great.
>>
>>32651237
That doesn't mean that the soldiers will be unarmored; it just means that any armor will be attached to the soldier, and not directly to the frame. This affords the soldier more flexibility, and works well with other research like sheer-thickening fluids that is aimed at "normal" infantry.

The killer app for power armor isn't the armor, though; it's the power. Specifically, the power to run a sensor fusion system that includes advanced optics, shot-sensing microphones, packet-based encrypted radios, mixed-reality displays, and a lot of software to make using the darn thing simple to do in a firefight on little sleep. By infantry.

Oh, and the ability to carry a larger load, farther and faster, with less fatigue? That's a big deal.
>>
>>32651319
So does a tank.
But neither a tank or RPG is useful in tight spaces.
>>
File: 1441525159393.jpg (25KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
1441525159393.jpg
25KB, 236x236px
>>32651237
Your Mom needs an exoskeleton to handle my heavy load.

>Drops the mic and walks away
>>
>>32651511
>a building that needs to be taken intact for whatever reason

This is simply not ever going to happen.

"clearing a building" is a retarded hollywood fantasy. When you're ready to enter the real world, stop posting this kind of shit and simply listen to what other people have to say. You're not very intelligent or very well-educated about this topic, and we are not interested in listening to your retarded bullshit.
>>
File: 1446171782616.jpg (437KB, 1508x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1446171782616.jpg
437KB, 1508x1493px
>>32654329
>Drops the mic
>>
>>32654332
Im sure that incident with the cop assassin would have ended ended a lot easier and with less collateral damage of a couple of people in heavy armoured exosuits ran in and just grabbed him.
>>
>>32651319
And regular soldiers don't?
>>
>>32652610
>covering the entire length of the cable for a drone with yet more drones
Or, just use fucking soldiers, they're cheaper, smarter, more able to deal with random situations and very replaceable.
>>
>>32654543
Well, no, not as much as an 8 foot tall bidpedal robot would. I'd like to seem then build one with the fluid responses and movements and full range of movements that would allow it to fling itself into a ditch for cover. For example.
>>
File: Leiadeathstar.jpg (25KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
Leiadeathstar.jpg
25KB, 360x240px
>>32654420
It's a common saying.

I've never been there. But obviously you have because you know about it.

>Better Han Solo pic
>>
The way I see it they only have applications on police operations as of now. When the police do a raid their ao is very small (read: one house) so a well armoured pointman would be pretty useful in saving lives, police and suspects alike since the armor gives more time to use non lethal weaponry.

Battery life wont be a problem because raids dont usually take that long. And it is easy to replace them in controlled enviroment since police would have cordoned the house. This also enables more armor to be used.

Second consern would be the speed of movement. Obviously they are going to be pretty slow at first so military use is not very practical when the enemy can easily surround a slow and clumsy power armor. Again not the case during police operations.

But then again why not just make the pointman carry a heavy shield to draw fire?
>>
>>32654332
Might be handy for police forces - could enter buildings proof against gunfire, break down doors and storm rooms to capture hostiles and save hostages.
>>
File: god-emperor-trump.jpg (140KB, 734x950px) Image search: [Google]
god-emperor-trump.jpg
140KB, 734x950px
President Trump would probably love to wear a suit of powered armour at public events.
>>
>>32651237

it might help those EOD guys move around in those turtleshell suits of theirs.

Then there's riot control and sentry duty.
>>
File: 1453867188488.jpg (53KB, 360x400px) Image search: [Google]
1453867188488.jpg
53KB, 360x400px
>>32654610
>$2.1mil/ea per year deployed for a soldier
>$50k per drone if that
Are you high or just retarded?
>>
File: IMG_2384.jpg (42KB, 750x346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2384.jpg
42KB, 750x346px
>>32654771
50k to deploy but not 50k to produce, tech like that's damn expensive.

Pic Related costs 17mil
>>
They would be ideal for anti-terror operations. Being immune to rifle rounds doesn't offer that much in a warzone.

But against terrorists one guy in an advanced armored exosuit can fight them all. Give every policestation a few and a have a few people trained to use them.

At the moment 10 terrorists with AK almost always take 24 hours or more to stop.
>>
File: how to spice up your cqb life.gif (1MB, 452x299px) Image search: [Google]
how to spice up your cqb life.gif
1MB, 452x299px
>>32654308
>>
I expect to see steady cam light machine guns and fast deployment personnel drones. Mostly the drone.

You can have one member of a squad backpacking a lightweight drone with a goPro and storage battery. Cool points if the drone is tube launched from the back/shoulder and deploys rotors as it exits.
>>
File: Drone.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Drone.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32656153
Forgot pic.

Give the goPro a live feed to the squad leader's heads up display.
>>
>Not possible atm - the only thing that's going to stop battle rifle rounds are ceramics. Ceramics can only take a few hits.

What is AR500 ballistic grade steel?
>>
File: doubt.jpg (19KB, 282x415px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.jpg
19KB, 282x415px
>>32654624
>It's a common saying.
>I've never been there.
>>
>>32651652
That requires the APC to stay immobile next to an enemy position, which is not something you want to be doing in a lightly armored vehicle.
>>
>>32653933
>The killer app for power armor isn't the armor, though; it's the power.
This too. There are load of gismos that could enhance solider capabilities but they are very power hungry and heavy from portable point of view.

With modern advancements of VR and cameras you you could make killer spectrum fused night vision system but its weight would be killer for the neck too. With power armor it is possible to make power assisted neck.
>>
File: 1479532794881.jpg (785KB, 1139x759px) Image search: [Google]
1479532794881.jpg
785KB, 1139x759px
>>32658222
>in a lightly armored vehicle.
BEHOLD!
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.