[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a diamond vest be indestructible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12

File: diamond_PNG6692.png (775KB, 1233x1233px) Image search: [Google]
diamond_PNG6692.png
775KB, 1233x1233px
Diamond is the hardest material that exists.

Would a vest with diamond plates be indestructible?

I know the costs would make it impossible for anyone to test it.
>>
>>32651077
No.
>>
>>32651077
Diamond is not the hardest material.

Hardness does not = strength. A diamond would shatter from a .22
>>
File: 1793040.jpg (144KB, 999x999px) Image search: [Google]
1793040.jpg
144KB, 999x999px
It would better to be lined up with THE HARDEST METAL EVER KNOWN TO MAN!
>>
>>32651099
>Hardness does not = strength
Yeah it does. It does not equate to toughness though.

As for the OP, no. I break industrial diamonds regularly.
>>
>>32651147
This. Diamonds may be incredibly hard, but they are brittle as fuck and can be broken with a fucking hammer.
>>
>>32651077
>have diamond rifle plate
>get hit with API round
>diamond starts burning like flashpaper
>ohshitwhatdoned!
>>
I assume so, diamond is the hardest metal so I doubt a softer metal such as lead would go through it.
>>
>>32651147
Shirley you must be trolling. Or incredibly retarded
>>
File: 9tAZkyVh.jpg (157KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
9tAZkyVh.jpg
157KB, 768x1024px
>>32651191
No, I'm a metallurgist. I deal with this literally every single day.
>>
>>32651191
Bruh, industrial diamond breaks easy as shit. I worked under a journeyman glazier and we'd have these diamond scoring pens. You set it down with any amount of force and the wheel shattered.
>>
>>32651191

There are several states of matter= solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.

The crystalline solid state of matter is known as "metal". Diamonds are shiny, crystalline, but not ductile. They fit enough criteria used to classify metals that its time you leave behind your caveman way of thinking.

Thunderf00t proved metal can have a transparent state.

You just can't accept the truth, that diamonds are metal. You can even create a diamond with enough heat, same way you create metal

If we would only research how to forge diamond to improve its workability we could truly have the beat of both worlds. The malleability of metal and hardness of diamond
>>
>>32651251
I'll take two of what you are on. Sounds absolutely freeing not to live in the real world.
>>
>>32651251
>They fit enough criteria used to classify metals that its time you leave behind your caveman way of thinking
No, they don't. They fit some of the criteria, but not all.
>>
Due to extensive research done by the University of Pittsburgh, diamond has been confirmed as the hardest metal known to man. The research is as follows:

Pocket-protected scientists built a wall made of iron and crashed a diamond car into it at 400 miles per hour, and the car was unharmed. They then built a wall out of diamond and crashed a car made of iron moving at 400 miles an hour into the wall, and the wall came out fine. They then crashed a diamond car made of 400 miles per hour into a wall, and there were no survivors. They crashed 400 miles per hour into a diamond travelling at iron car. Western New York was powerless for hours. They rammed a wall made of metal into 400 miles an hour made of diamond, and the resulting explosion shifted earths orbit 400 million miles away from the sun, saving the earth from a meteor the size of a small Washington suburb that was hurtling towards mid-western Prussia at 400 billion miles an hour. They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour, and as a result caused over 10000 wayward planes to lose track of their bearings, and make a fatal crash with over 10000 buildings in downtown New York. They spun 400 miles at diamond into iron per wall. The results were inconclusive. Finally, they placed 400 diamonds per hour in front of a car made of wall travelling at miles per iron, and the result proved with out a doubt that diamonds were the hardest metal of all time, if not just the hardest metal known to man.
>>
>>32651275

I've actually been on 4chan so long now I can't tell when I'm trolling and when I'm not.

>>32651296

OPEN YOUR EYES, MAN

You can make iron or glass from sand. Carbon and iron are both minerals. You can make metals from both with heat and pressure.

Diamonds are the future. One day we may be able to arrange all the poles so the diamond will repel bullets
>>
>>32651298
I fuckin die every time. Thanks for posting anon
>>
>>32651298
I came here to specifically request that this be posted.
>>
File: hardness vs strength.gif (15KB, 350x294px) Image search: [Google]
hardness vs strength.gif
15KB, 350x294px
>>32651191

There's a pretty strong correlation in most metals
>>
>>32651217
God that's fucking cool.

Wouldnt leave my ECE studies for it, but damn if I dont respect it.
>>
>>32651077
>Diamond is the hardest metal

Fixed that for ya.
>>
File: kM_lPhzP.jpg (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
kM_lPhzP.jpg
28KB, 400x400px
>>32651187

>diamond
>metal
>>
File: 1447987877074.jpg (282KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1447987877074.jpg
282KB, 1920x1200px
>>32651298
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>32651077
Please wait until to you take highschool chemistry to post on this board.
>>
>>32651077
After 12 impacts it would shatter. Ever hear of a diamond dozen?

So no, they aren't suitable for ballistic plates.
>>
>>32651191
i cant believe no one responded with "dont call me shirley"
>>
>>32651077
It would shrapnel and make you the expensivest corpse.
>>
>>32651099
>A diamond would shatter from a .22
You a bit fucked in the head or something?
>>
>>32651077

Diamonds are hard. Diamonds are not tough.

Hardness is inversely proportional to toughness. Since a diamond is really hard, it's not very tough, which means that the material can't take a shock load worth shit without shattering.

Guess what a bullet impact is.

This is why ceramic plates that you put into plate carriers and shit are limited use: high-velocity bullets can break the plate, but they waste so much energy breaking the plate that the vest holding them can stop the rest of it (and that's how they're supposed to work, and why ceramic plates like that say "DON'T FUCKING HIT ME" printed in big letters on them). A diamond plate is not indestructible in the slightest, and even if you were insane enough to use it as an armor plate, its worth would come from absorbing the energy from the bullet by forcing the bullet to break it. Since a bullet hits way harder than a hammer (which can just as easily break the diamond), this limits its use.
>>
>>32654436
diamonds have been broken from being dropped
>>
>>32651251
>Thunderf00t proved metal can have a transparent state
That was Scotty you chatterin' piece of...
>>
>>32651251

i knew my Materials Engineering degree would be useful one day.

diamonds use covalent bonding, metals have metallic bonding. they are both crystalline. they are not both metallic.
>>
>>32652338

yeah, but it does not account for the area under the stress-strain curve which is toughness. UTS is not a good measure due to how it's measured, usually being the peak strength while a metal's undergoing plastic deformation.

>>32654632

as a general rule, yes toughness and hardness are inversely proportional. there's always going to be exceptions, but things that you can do (carburization/other interstital diffusions, work hardening, peening, differential cooling/heat treating in general) that reduce the area under the curve tend to maximize the elastic limit which is correlated with hardness (resistance to localized plastic deformation).
>>
>>32657441
What is metallic bonding?
>>
>>32651077
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHXVf0SaJpA
I feel like this video somewhat applies here
>>
>>32657508

where the valence electrons dissociate from their corresponding atoms and form an electron gas.
>>
>>32657530
Huh, neat. Why does that happen? Is this what gives metals their strength?
>>
>>32651077

Crushed up diamonds + metal shavings + glue = should equal pretty good resistance against KE

It won't be really better than basic armor plate, though
>>
>>32657520
Fuck that, I'll save everyone 11 minutes.
CF: good strength/weight ratio
Kevlar: fireproof
Fiberglass: cheap
>>
>>32657623
I was more thinking about that kevlar is better in tension compared to carbon fiber
>>
>>32657565

it's responsible for a lot of metallic properties like being a good thermal and electrical conductor. the valence electrons aren't that tightly bound in the metallics as you're filling in lower energy level shells. incidentally, diamond is one of the best thermal conductors out there due to its crystalline structure.
>>
>>32657599
isn't that just non-Newtonian fluid?
>>
>>32651147
strength = hardness

strength isn't a term for materials
>>
>>32657666

yes it is. it's the maximum stress that a material can take. hardness is resistance to localized plastic deformation. toughness is the amount of energy a material can take before it breaks.
>>
>>32657666
>strength isn't a term for materials
Yes it is
>>
>>32651298
diamond has been confirmed as the hardest metal
>diamond
>metal
>>
>>32657744
>being this new

besides he's wrong. Dragonforce is the hardest metal known the man.
>>
>>32657654
Tension? God no. CF is one of the strongest materials there is in tension.

If you meant compression, then maybe, I'm not sure there's much in it, just stick some boron strands in or get a different material.
>>
>>32657814

the big problem there is that you need enough thickness to prevent buckling. also the resin/matrix will take most of the compression.

anisotropic materials yay.
>>
File: hyborgraphic.png (125KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
hyborgraphic.png
125KB, 300x200px
>>32657833
Hence the boron strands
>>
>>32657846

still going to have to deal with buckling. not as badly, but yeah.
>>
>>32657814
I meant compression, my bad
>>
>>32657660

No

The diamond and metal composite bonded together will act as an abrasive form of armor, eroding the projectile as it penetrates.

They've used quartz + metal shavings as armor in tanks before, and it's the same thing.

It's generally no better than plain old armor plate for its thickness, it's just lighter.
>>
>>32657884
Lighter is good.
>>
>>32653147
>confirmed for not attending chemistry in high school
>>
>>32657894
Isn't diamonds just sawdust that's hardened through millions of years of eroding? Like dinosaurs became oil.
>>
>>32657889

It helps, yeah.

There's not much free lunch when it comes to armor, though. Baseline armor plate is about as good as you can get against KE attack before you need composites and layers. The latter 2 can offer similar protection at lighter weight, but they aren't super armor.

For improvised armor, quartz is pretty good if you don't have armor steel on hand. Lots of quartz pieces held together will work if you make sure their thickness is about the same for basic steel against the threat you want to protect against.
>>
>>32657846
ACTUALLY that is a "nodule" of boron.

And boron materials are garbage. That's what Chrysler insists on for everything because they're a bunch of cheap fucks. Fucking 1335 isn't expensive.
>>
>>32654371
Diamonds really aren't that expensive, it's just jewelry ones are controlled by a cartel. In face it'd probably be cheaper to use industry diamonds than some of the armor we have today.
>>
>>32657997

which is precisely why i told my GF that i would never get her a "natural" stone.

DeBeers can go to hell.
>>
>>32657441
>i knew my Materials Engineering degree would be useful one day
Are you not making great money with it already?
>>
>>32658005
Protip, just get her a fake. She'll never know the difference and no one else will either.
>>
>>32657916

Yes, essentially. Diamonds originate from cavemen lumberyards where sawdust was created hundreds of years ago. Then the sawdust compressed over time to reach a metallic structure of atoms, thus becoming metal.
>>
>>32658012

nah, i decided i wanted to blow stuff up from 25,000 ft so i joined the air force.

i'll go to test pilot school and work that into a good job at a defense contractor doing project management one day.

>>32658022

you save enough money on a lab-grown/"synthetic" that you might as well get one of those.
>>
>>32657623
kevlar has insane tensile strength and is a bitch to shear
>>
>>32658012
where'd you go to school, fellow metallurgist?
>>
>>32657495
>as a general rule, yes toughness and hardness are inversely proportional. there's always going to be exceptions, but things that you can do (carburization/other interstital diffusions, work hardening, peening, differential cooling/heat treating in general) that reduce the area under the curve tend to maximize the elastic limit which is correlated with hardness (resistance to localized plastic deformation).

that's true enough, but i don't think you can face-harden or shot-peen a diamond any more than you can shot-peen a ceramic plate. You can do that with metal because of metal properties, while things like diamond are too brittle to do so without shattering.
>>
How new can anyone be to fall for this ancient bait? FFS I remember the threads about that shit on /b/ over 10 years ago. Probably already in 05 or something. You fucking dumbass autists.
I have said it before and I say it again: There is no board as easy to troll as /k/. Not a single one. You guys are so far away from anything you take everything at face value.
>>
>>32659000
Michigan state, though I did a lot of my prerequisites at community college. You?
>>
>>32657407

Thunderf00t also "proved" women like being raped because people are afraid of wasps, and women were like a 1000x bigger than wasps and so should be unrapable.
>>
>>32659694
Oh, cool. Mines (CSM) for me; we have a fair bit of people from Michigan state here. Good thing you're not from 'The' Ohio State University. I'm going back into industry after grad school in a bit. Hope they'll start me at a decent salary.

(I'm not >>32657441 btw)
>>
>>32659846
No, I don't eat paste so I'm over qualified for OSU.

Depends on what facet of the industry you're trying to get into. Also depends who your contacts are.
>>
>>32659432

i'm sure you could do some interstital stuff, but it would be of questionable utility.
>>
File: 1471403997570.png (376KB, 436x416px) Image search: [Google]
1471403997570.png
376KB, 436x416px
Thread theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-gWiJ8qI4Y
>>
>>32654045
I was just wondering that too.
>>
>>32651298

>not dragonforce
>>
>>32658005
While inflated in value, gem quality diamonds aren't just falling out of the ground like the trash you can use for industrial purposes. I still wouldn't buy a diamond, but the idea that they're all good enough for jewelry is a myth.
>>
>>32651077
I didn't know that this a /k/ YLYL thread.
>>
File: 1419933527162.jpg (109KB, 997x602px)
1419933527162.jpg
109KB, 997x602px
>>32651077
>>
>>32660499
No one said or implied they're all good enough for jewelry. It's just there is a monopoly on jewelry quality diamonds in the first place. And you can get fake (or synthetic if you prefer) diamonds for a fuck ton cheaper
>>
>>32651118
Nice fakemetal.

Question, would a vest made of Dawn of the Black Hearts by Mayhem albums be indestructible, being the actual hardest metal known to mankind?

>The lead singer literally blew his brains out because he couldn't take how hardcore the new album was, so they put it in the cover and the guitarist who found the body made a necklace out of his teeth and skull fragments and wore it to the performance (it's even said that he ate part of his brain)
>>
>>32651077
It might work as well as ceramic plates. The fact that they shatter could disperse the energy well enough... I dunno man, ask a physicist.
>>
>>32662896
So the claim is that he pulled his teeth? Because he still has them all in the picture.
>>
>>32662896
>The lead singer literally blew his brains out because he couldn't take how hardcore the new album was

I can't tell if you're joking, but Dead was an extremely depressed individual who was obsessed with death, and always wanted to commit suicide. It had nothing to do with the new album.
>>
>>32654632
>Hardness is inversely proportional to toughness
This is wrong, and you should feel bad.

>>32651077
It would be stronger than any current ceramic plate armor, and cost 1000 times as much.

But it would be far from indestructable.
>>
>>32653094
Carbon is a non-metal. Go to bed Jimmy.
>>
>>32662896
Mayhem sucks and the only reason you give a shit about them is because like every degenerate with an edgy teen mindset the only time they're relevant is when they splatter their brains on the walls for attention.
>>
File: download.jpg (17KB, 302x167px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
17KB, 302x167px
>>32651077
>Would a vest with diamond plates be indestructible?
Hardness =/= Strength
Diamond, like all crystals, have weak points 90 degrees of any side. It would be extremely easy to get a good hit with a sword or pole at the right spot and your armor would shatter.

If you really want something indestructible, look into graphene.
>>
>>32651077
If diamonds are so strong then how do they get cut?
Clearly you want a vest made out of whatever is being used to cut the diamonds OP.
>>
>>32662845
It was an aside. Are you always this hostile?
>>
>>32654045
I was going to before you said it now it wouldn't be funny
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.