[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I hold the bolt open on a mini, keep the magazine in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_6962.jpg (40KB, 825x160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6962.jpg
40KB, 825x160px
Can I hold the bolt open on a mini, keep the magazine in the receiver and load cartridges over the top individually by hand?
>>
sure, why not?
>>
>>32646560
No, the follower is what engages the bolt hold open. As soon as you insert that first cartridge into the magazine the bolt hold open will disengage and you got a nasty case of Mini-14 thumb that's about to happen.

t. Mini-14 owner
>>
File: 1482451408406.gif (3MB, 416x144px) Image search: [Google]
1482451408406.gif
3MB, 416x144px
>>32646560
>>
File: sweating pepe.jpg (61KB, 540x511px) Image search: [Google]
sweating pepe.jpg
61KB, 540x511px
>>32646679
delet
>>
File: ss (2017-01-11 at 10.31.50).png (1MB, 1126x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-01-11 at 10.31.50).png
1MB, 1126x1080px
>>32646679
>this is literally my phobia with guns
>>
>>32646589
This. While standing you have to hold the gun and hold the bolt back with your right hand while loading individual rounds with your left. Doable but awkward as hell.
>>
>>32646740
>>32646714
I had a Remington 1100 bolt slam shut on my finger when i was a kid. I didnt have the dexterity or strength to pull the bolt open.

So i just ran around screaming dragging a shotgun behind me.

After they got it off my finger the hunting club was in hysterics.

then i ended up getting my finger cut off in a metal fire door at daycare. I no longer feared getting my finger caught in anything after that.

because if i can get my finger cut off in a door and still be OK, i shouldnt be worried about a gun or car door..
>>
>>32646589
He didn't say pull it back and let it stay open. He asked if he could hold it open, as in manually keep the bolt back with one hand.
>>
>>32646846
Op here is there a way to keep the bolt open without holding it manually? Like a button or something
>>
>>32646969

jesus christ read
>>32646589

no funs detected
>>
File: IMG_6963.png (98KB, 784x522px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6963.png
98KB, 784x522px
>>32646984
Never owned rifles, just handguns. I'm looking for a rifle chambered in an intermediate cartridge to plink around with, shoot coyotes, and keep with a stockpile of cheap ammo in case the world goes to shit.

I want something modern that I can keep a mag in, have a handful of rounds In my pocket or whatever and just load them in without worrying about having to hanger magazines. Would a CZ 527 varmint do what I want?
>>
>>32646969
I could probably design one super easy, but it probably doesn't have one because there's not much of a use for it. What you're asking for is something with no real world use outside of shitty third world conflicts where you might see dudes running over to an open crate of ammo, shoving shit into the one or two magazines they have left before running back to keep shooting. I could see it being an okay idea for smaller magazines or hunting a bigass bunch of hogs that come through in small batches. Even then, if you have the time to hold the bolt back, why not pop the mag out and top it off?
>>
>>32647262
What if you fall and lose your one magazine? What if that extra ammo gets dirty or damaged? What if shtf and you don't have time to piddlefuck around with your shit while threats are approaching you? If it was a good idea to have the option to top off, it wouldn't have been taken out of standard issue rifles throughout the world.
>>
>>32646560
Loaded it like you would an m1 garand, use the edge of your right hand opposite your thumb to hold the charging handle back and load with your free hand and thumb
>>
Now that I think about it, wouldn't pulling it back again just give you more shit because it would try to feed the last round you loaded into the chamber that already has a round in?

OP, seriously, just buy more than one magazine, you childish twat.
>>
File: 9fuDP8r.gif (494KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
9fuDP8r.gif
494KB, 300x225px
>>32646679
No...No....
>>
>>32647312
So my only option besides bolt action hunting rifles is milsurp? The sks is semiauto and I think you can load it by hand individually
>>
>>32646560
yes you can do it its not that bad deffinatly easier than a ar15.
it doesnt not have a stripper clip slot built in so its gonna kind of be a pain. id buy a hakim , sks or garand if that was your intention
>>
I actually have a Mini-14 handy and I just did it. I loaded 5 rounds in from the top, being careful not to depress the bolt hold open actuator. I was able to load all 5 rounds into the magazine without releasing the bolt or pinching my finger.

In other words, yes, it can totally be done but it is awkward.
>>
>>32646679
this will not happen with a mini 14 as there is a bolt hold open
>>
>>32647536
No, I mean get more than magazine if you want to top it off. There are plenty of options, and you can get some with windows on the side to show exactly how many you have.
>>
>>32647558
Was it like a three handed maneuver? Were you able to grip it with your right hand while holding the bolt back like >>32647429

Could you do it from a standing, kneeling, or prone position ?
>>
>>32647559
without the follower pushing the bolt hold open the only thing keeping the bolt locked back is friction. its pretty easy to overcome that friction and send the bolt home if you bump or jar a gun
>>
>>32647583
its no problem at all. the bolt locks back you dont have to hold it open and you just feed them in. i just tried it myself aswell it only seemed like a problem when you got to the final bullet.
>>
>>32647606
the follower on the magazine has nothing to do with holding the bolt open on a mini
>>
>>32647615
Word. Sold me on the mini then. I would have gotten an ar but I live in a communist state. I wish the mini took ar mags. Mini-14 tactical is illegal to import unless used and without the 20-30 red mag so I will just get the ranch rifle and install a flag hider
>>
>>32647583
Te bolt was retained by the hold open mechanism without any issue, I was able to hold it in my left while loading with my right hand. Again, I was careful not to hit the little arm that engages and disengages the hold open, but when I tried to depress it manually (magazine out, holding the charging handle back) it actually took a bit of force to make it release the bolt.
>>
>>32647658
when i first bought mine i put 50 rounds of steel cased ammo through it took it come cleaned it.
next time i went shooting it didnt work at all turns out there is a problem that the burr isnt correstely filed on the hammer so i took the bolt apart sanded the pin just slighty and the area it went through and works fine now.
also call ruger and tell them you didnt get a aluminum rail for the top and they will send you a new one if you want and extra or whatever
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.