[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /k/ hate cast parts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4233.jpg (19KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4233.jpg
19KB, 150x150px
Why does /k/ hate cast parts?
>>
>>32644945
I don't. Bad forgings exist like bad castings.
>>
>>32644945
I'm not a fucking idiot, so I don't
>>
>>32644945
please give an example and cite your sources.
>>
>>32644945
Cost parts are fine as long as they are not used for high stress areas.
>>
>>32644945
Because they believe all the regurgitated shit they hear.
>>
>>32644945
They tend to not look as nice because if a company is using casting to save money, they're probably not going to mill off much of the casting
See the springfield M1a's charging handle
>>
>>32644945
There are cast trunnions on some polish guns but they have great qc. Ruger cast parts and has it down.

The problem op, is not castings are bad, it's century arms, io, maybe other us manufacturing is shit. Century and io are the greatest examples of what not to let happen with your business.
>>
>>32645670
Like Remington 700 bolt handles, right?

Cast is fine if done right but too often companies just say 'fuck it' to building quality and use casting as an extension of that philosophy, then you get badly made stuff and people start to think anything cast is shit tier. Companies and products that don't use any casts are more likely to not say 'fuck it' to build quality and therefore will eventually establish a reputation.

Cast parts are synonymous with the rise of cut cost production, that's the real problem.
>>
>>32644945
>Why does /k/ hate cast parts?

ids don't. cast parts are ok provided the qc is good and the part lends itself to be made as such. in reality though, drop forging and milling to size isn't a whole lot more complicated but does offer the prestige of forgend and milled parts that casting son't have.
>>
>>32645725
>Cast parts are synonymous with the rise of cut cost production, that's the real problem.

I also share that view. Cast parts do have a reputation for being cheaply made junk when, and I have to emphasis this, they are done to cut costs. Made properly they can have great quality.
>>
>>32645670
Oh like right, that's why they're used in low stress areas like turbine blades for turbofan engines or hydroelectric power generators.
>>
>>32644945
MIM =/=cast
>>
>>32647276
MIM = cast in that there is nothing wrong with either.
>>
>>32647325
diecast=/= strong casting
you cant MIM ferrous alloys, and unless you're repro-ing Brastil 1911s I wouldn't use a MIM frame gun
>>
>>32647388
>you cant MIM ferrous alloys
Says who?
>I wouldn't use a MIM frame gun
That's your problem, but I doubt that would be cost effective to do vs plain old investment casting.
>>
>>32644945
Its okay for certain parts. They are very common in Russian AKs for example and many people don't even know it.
>>
>>32644945
retardation and fuddery
>>
>>32647423
>Its okay for certain parts
Don't try to play engineer.
>>
>>32647423
There's a reason the Russian's never used cast front trunnions.Shit like front sight base selector switch and rear trunnions after 1974 are mainly cast.
>>
>>32647447
I don't need to. Cast parts have been common in many AKs and it works just fine.
>>32647459
I never implied they used it for critical components like the trunnions. Bulgarians also are casting certain components, the FSB on mine is cast for sure.
>>
>>32647459
>There's a reason the Russian's never used cast front trunnions
It's not cost effective to switch to making good enough castings to serve as the front trunnion?
>>
I wish they sold an AR lower mold. I'd love to cast me some aluminum ones. Anybody know of any?
>>
I really don't understand why end users concern themselves with manufacturing processes. They aren't for you to worry about.
>>
>>32647484
front trunnions*
i believe some rears are cast
>>
>>32647502
No, they don't exist. AR receivers are generally forged.
>>
>>32644945
Casting is pretty shit when it comes to precision parts.
>>
>>32647494
The casts where probably not consistent enough to be safe.
>>
I cast my dick into your mom's ass OP
>>
>>32647592
Right, that's down to cost effectiveness. They have the forging machines and the mills, why would they spend the money on better casting?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.