[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speer Gold Dot 9mm 147 Grain HP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: url.jpg (99KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
99KB, 880x660px
How does /k/ feel about this particular ammo? Is it good for home defense?
>>
>>32644711
Gold dot was the standard for a very long time, they're may be some self defense ammunition that is better in one aspect or another but gold dot will still kill intruders and attackers just as dead
>>
>>32644721
Thanks, mate. I just bought a couple boxes of this from my local gun store, because the clerk suggested this, as he and U.S. Marshals use this ammo.
>>
>>32644737
Different anon but Gold Dots are my go-to defensive ammo for pretty much every caliber.
>>
Shot and killed a home invader with these exact rounds, they certainly did the job, cops said 2 of my 3 shots connected. He went down quicker than I expected.
>>
>>32645159
Interesting. The store clerk warned me that 147g might be too powerful and, if you missplace your shots, they could go throw walls and inadvertently hurt someone. I understand this is a common concern, but were your shots exit wounds and go through the walls behind him?
>>
File: 1479341076413.jpg (106KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1479341076413.jpg
106KB, 1000x1000px
Gold Dots along with HST are the best, most proven self defense loads that are currently used by many LE agencies today. I shoot 124gr Lawman and use 124gr Gold Dots exclusively for carry.

One tidbit I like about Gold Dot is that you can use Lawman as a training component. Same exact POA/POI, felt recoil and Lawman is loaded hot like most self defense ammo is unlike some things that may be underpowered like the cheaper 115gr range ammo you typically see.
>>32645301
>147g might be too powerful

Not exactly true but the clerk is right concerning the overpenetration part. Just like all bullets that can potentially kill, they can go through drywall easily. Make sure to practice and be able to make a hit at the longest distance inside your home on demand. And if you have not done so already, get a white light that could either be a powerful handheld light or a weapon mounted light.
>>
>>32644711
It's not HST.
>>
>>32645378
Thanks for the advice. I do have a small handheld flashlight by my bedside, which I would use in a home defense scenario. But would 147g hollow points be too powerful that it would go through the home intruder and penetrate the walls behind him? Thanks, friend.
>>
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/
>>
>>32644711
They're good. Gold Dots and HST are my go to defensive rounds, the only difference really is that Gold Dots are bonded.
>>
File: 1484362668001.png (256KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1484362668001.png
256KB, 512x512px
>>32645500
>pic related

>>32645537
>the only difference really is that Gold Dots are bonded.
How do you mean?
>>
>>32645452
>But would 147g hollow points be too powerful that it would go through the home intruder and penetrate the walls behind him?

Most likely not. It's not something like 124gr is incredibly weak compared to 147gr ammo. I'm not a ballistic expert or someone who stares at numbers and gel tests but to my knowledge, 147gr ammo is a bit slower and has a different POI than 115gr or 124gr. I would say don't worry about it and focus on other aspects of self defense.

Also I forgot to let you know, stay away from buying those small 20rd boxes like you posted in the OP. They're usually twice as expensive as the boxes that come with 50. I don't know why they do it but I see it everywhere.
>>
>>32645553
it means you're paying extra for an additional manufacturing procedure which under the right (wrong?) circumstances will prevent or mitigate bullet jacket separation from the core.

it's probably not going to happen but if you have the money you might as well get bonded just to be extra sure.
>>
File: Speer Gold Dot SB.jpg (121KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
Speer Gold Dot SB.jpg
121KB, 880x660px
>>32644711
Good Stuff. Bonded Hollow Point. Stays together when shooting through windshields. It is the Police Duty ammo of My and Surrounding PD's in Various calibers.
>>
>>32645554
I think you're right about 147gr having a different POI than 115gr/124gr.

I normally do my range practice with AE 124gr FMJ since I keep HST124gr for home defense, but my brother gave me a few hundred rounds of his Speer Lawman 147gr and I was shooting a few inches low at 16 yards
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.