[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Gorka make for a good outer layer when innawoods in cold

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

File: 0_aa959_65670378_orig.jpg (417KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
0_aa959_65670378_orig.jpg
417KB, 1000x666px
Does Gorka make for a good outer layer when innawoods in cold times? Slavboos need not reply.
>>
>>32641954
/out/ here.

Only in dry conditions or with temperatures never above freezing. As far as I recall the Gorka is made from 100 % cotton canvas. Cotton sucks when it's wet and takes forever to dry.
On the plus side cotton is very comfortable as long as it is not wet and it will suck moisture from your inner layers of clothes. This is why some arctic outer layers were made of cotton back before synthetic cloting.
You can make cotton canvas water resistant to some degree by waxing it but it will never be water proof. This however also makes it less breathable.

A better solution for a non-water proof outer layer is a blend of cotton and either polyester or nylon (at least 50 % synthetic: 70 % is even better) or just pure synthetic.

But hell, I could write a fucking essay on clothing. What climate are you going to use it in?
>>
File: 1465454274333.jpg (127KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
1465454274333.jpg
127KB, 500x392px
Omg... dat rusty muzzle brake...
>>
>>32642079
What is your opinion on wool for clothing innasnow? Personally I have nothing but good experiences except it gets heavy, especially when wet, but living in the desert I havent had experience in any serious snow for longish periods
>>
File: tmpPhoto1444892297809.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
tmpPhoto1444892297809.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>32641954
It completly depends on what you are going to use it for and what kind of climate you are in. it works best in cold dry areas. snow, rain and stuff like that is going to fuck you up bad... I have a gorka for hunting it´s frikin comfy as fuck but i treated mine with a
moisture repellent wich kinda works? but
rainwear is recommended over it if it starts pouring.
>>
File: 20161209_231236.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161209_231236.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>32641954
Theyre great but you have to remember theyre to be used with a system of layers, and one of those layers should always be wool for anything below freezing
>pic related, 3ish hours in -40
>>
>>32641954
Yes, as long as it's not also raining/snowing heavily.
I was comfy down to 10/5°C with just that, if you go below you need some thermal clothing under it or you're gonna freeze your ass.
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (40KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
40KB, 500x383px
you want this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-Army-VKBO-Winter-Cold-Weather-Suit-EMR-Digital-Flora-level-8-/291977447110?hash=item43fb3646c6:g:FjkAAOSwMTZWRpG0
>>
>>32642079
Southern Ontario, warm March-September, cold or freezing the rest of the year. It's the cold months that I wanted to use something like Gorka when camping. Thanks for the info!!
>>
>>32642420
That's not just because it's Russian, right? Looks warm though!
>>
>>32642079
What I feel is overlooked is the abrasion resistance of cotton canvas which is why it is so popular as an outer layer, alone it is pretty bad and it would be almost suicide to wear it in wet weather but it it's dry and you need to crash through brush goretex and poly would be shreds while cotton will take it and keep trucking.

Most people don't really need to because trails exist but I portage and a cotton duck coat works great.
>>
>>32642178
Wool is best baselayer for innasnow with a waxed poly cotton top.
I use a light merino wool base for hiking plus a fjallraven jacket that I hand wax after long use.

Then i usually carry a thicker wool sweater plus my wool long john silvers for sleepy time.
>>
>>32642079
What's good for around 0F?
>>
>>32642834
Layers my dude
Synthetic shirt
Wool baselayer
Light sweater
Then water resistant top. Some polycotton blend
You wont have to worry about getting your top wet, but preventing you from sweating will be key.
Which is why you want multiple layers so you can quickly lose one or two layers as you really get going to balance your temperature.
You gotta remember that hiking in snow is very taxing, especially if you are gonna hse snowshoes.
When im acutally moving i will probably just have my shirt and jacket on. Then when i reach where im gonna set up camp ill drop my pack put on a sweater and go to work.
>>
>>32642121
""""""non-corrosive"""""" bullets
>>
>>32642178
Basically what he said:
>>32642795
Do do want to add that the "wool warms even when wet" saying is partly a myth. It's just not as bad as cotton. Like the other guy I'd recommend wool for baselayer since it doesn't get smelly as other fabrics and because it is quite comfortable even when damp from sweat.

For your insulating middle layer fleece vs wool is debated a lot. Fleece is lighter than wool, dries fast and is cheap(er). Wool dries slower that fleece and is more heavy but on the other hand still feels comfy when semi-wet (not when soaked!). I think wool is also better at regulating your climate (sweat, temperature) and will, as said, not begin to smell bad like synthetics do.

>>32642449
Yeah, like I said avoid getting your Gorka wet. If the temperature rarely stays below freezing for long periods I would say get something else like polycotton

>>32642528
You have a point about the brush and goretex thing. With modern waterproof/breathables like goretex many people who go outdoors often decide to only have 1 shell layer. This makes sence for things like hiking where carrying both a set of outer-clotes and a seperate set of rain-clothes is a big waste of space and weight. The reason why militaries still use a non-waterproof outer layer and seperate rain-clothes are, as you point out, to not tearing holes in rain clothes (non-waterproofs also breathe a lot better than goretex and similar shells)
For that "wear-layer" polycotton is actually stronger than pure cotton and with its much shorter drying time it is in my opinion superior.

>>32642834
What he said
>>32642947

Wool baselayer (merino doesn't scratch), wool or fleece warming layers and polycotton outer shell - maybe waxed a bit to protect from moisture.
Carry extra warming clothes for times of inactivity that is compact and light. Fiber or down is best, wool or fleece if you don't have that.
Have thin inner gloves with good dexterity and thick ones that can go over them.
>>
>>32642834
Also be shure that your boots have plenty of space for socks. I like to wear thin inner socks and thick ones over that.
The last thing that I would like to ad is that if you're going to be sitting or lying directly on the snow it is best to bring rain pants. I was on a winter-course once where we spend the most part of a day digging out snow caves to sleep in. That day I ended up with completely wet pants because I had been on my knees or sitting on my ass while working with the shovel. As soon as I stopped working my wet clothes began to freeze and I got very cold. I had to have spend an hour or so basically constantly drinking hot tea, rubbing my legs, eating sweet biscuits and "dancing" to get my warmth back. At that time I was glad that I was wearing fleece and not wool underneath my polycotton pants. I managed to get semi-dry before we went to bed.
>>
>>32642194
>-40
Celsius or Fahrenheit?
>>
>>32643539
Nvm did the conversion, I'm a retard.
Carry on.
>>
File: 20_resize.jpg (393KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
20_resize.jpg
393KB, 1000x750px
>>32642183
>It completly depends on what you are going to use it for and what kind of climate you are in. it works best in cold dry areas. snow, rain and stuff like that is going to fuck you up bad...

What he said. They arent water-resistant and arent ment to.

Also - I hope everyone knows gorkas maskalats etc. are like an outer layer you put on your REGULAR clothing, their main goal is to protect your jacket & pants from dirt & rips, and offer camo protection, depending on situation.
They originated from suits for recon squads that ware put on depending on current need.

Pic reloited, I fucking love mine.
Got it from http://vitiazspec.com/
>>
>>32643576
Fucking sexy
>>
File: 24_resize.jpg (425KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
24_resize.jpg
425KB, 750x1000px
>>32643588
Partizan Smiersz, very decent.
It's not just the looks, the design of the pockets, the overall shape, the hood, the fabric is just perfect, wery well thought-through. I'll give the Russians that. (although VSO is Belorussian firm).
>>
>>32643550
Chuckled a bit when you asked f or c
Ty anon
>>
>>32641954

What is that reflex sight? I seen't it in Tarkov vids and it looks peculiar.
>>
>>32642194
is there a specific name for those big mittens that fit over gloves, or do I just google "bigass mittens"?
>>
>>32643831
found my answer, "shell mittens"
>>
>>32642194
I need to get some decent wool baselayers actually, this thread has reminded me. I have synthetics and they wick and dry out great but they end up ass stinky after a day or two in them and being active enough to work up a sweat.
>>
>>32643479
>I think wool is also better at regulating your climate (sweat, temperature) and will, as said, not begin to smell bad like synthetics do.
And also not get fucked up instantly by fire. Which is nice.
>>
File: R.jpg (42KB, 342x475px) Image search: [Google]
R.jpg
42KB, 342x475px
>>32645570
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. I guess you could say that fleece offers best performance on paper, while wool is more of a comfortable garment if you're going out for a longer while. My lord and savior Uncle Ray swear by wool as well.
>>
>>32646066
Just got myself a Dachstein wool sweater to slate my woolboner. That said I do also worship at the temple of poly-cotton since it's so versatile.
>>
>>32642079
My gorka is 50/50 poly/cotton
>>
>>32642079
>/out/ here
>filthy tree huger backpacker
get >>>/out/
>>
>>32646188
>/k/
>not aspiring to be innawoods
Newfags lurk.
>>
File: received_1118648501523105.jpg (260KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
received_1118648501523105.jpg
260KB, 1224x1632px
>>32643831
Sheepskin gloves i believe
>>
File: arc-10739-mc-l.jpg (101KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
arc-10739-mc-l.jpg
101KB, 800x800px
>>32641954

no, its poorfag shit, the best stuff is ded bird
>>
>>32642079
I agree. I've gone hunting (WA) in a gorka and its done me really well. I tend to run hot but you can get an incredible amount of temperature range with the button up anorak version, it heats up or cools down really well if you open\close the buttons

I've treated it with some wax in the areas that would get wet in rain and have had good success. Youre right though about it not doing well when soaking wet but it is durable which is why I use it.
>>
>>32646617
On the upside if it gets soaked theres a point it just repells water from being soaked, but you better have good layers underneath and a way to dry off if your out overnight
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.