[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deciding on first CCW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

First time gun buyer and concealed carrier here, I'm in the process of narrowing down some possible candidates guns. I live in a very pro-gun state, so I have a very wide selection that I'd like to narrow down before I start trying out different guns at the range and end up infatuated with something stupid because I don't know any better.

Here are the basic factors I know I'm looking for:
>$500-$750 dollar range preferable
>9mm or .357 chambering preferred, though if you can convince me otherwise go for it
>DA/SA preferred over SAO, unsure about my preference between strikers vs hammers
>Compact size preferred, not too heavy loaded
>Doesn't need extensive aftermarket modification, sturdy enough to double as a range toy
>>
I currently run a S&W 649 stainless .357 with a Galco royal guard iwb holster. Super comfortable and plenty of firepower in my opinion. Though you probably already know, if you do get a .357 mag for carry you can practice with .38s or .357 which is also a plus. Don't however be one of those assholes that buys a .357 and carries .38 +p in it because they're scared of recoil. If you buy a .357 carry it with .357. Don't be a little bitch.
>>
>>32639703
I am aware of the .357/.38 versatlity; one of the main reasons I'm considering a .357 for carry is so that I can plink with .38s. I'll look into the 649 and see if it satisfies my other criteria
>>
>>32639479
I love revolvers for range use, but honestly semi-autos are better in every way for actual carry.

As for trigger set up, the most important thing for a CCW gun is a consistent trigger pull.
That means DAO, SAO or striker fired
I would not suggest a DA/SA because that first shot will always have a much longer/heavier pull, and the first shot is often the most important
Personally I think striker would be best for your application
That means glock, m&p, sig p320, hk vp9, xd/xdm, etc..
>>
>>32639903
>glock, m&p, sig p320, hk vp9, xd/xdm
I'm considering the Glock 19 since it's everyone's favorite babby's first gun and would probably be fun to rice with a bit, not interested in M&P as I can just buy a glock if I want a glock.
As for the P320, what exactly am I supposed to be looking at that puts it over the Glock? Other than better aesthetics.

I also wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with Steyr handguns, since I live in AL I've thought about checking out the Steyr HQ
>>
File: checked.jpg (378KB, 2533x1507px) Image search: [Google]
checked.jpg
378KB, 2533x1507px
>>32639999

digits confirm, you must get a glock 19
>>
Glock 19 and the rest of your budget on practice ammo, magazines, and a flashlight/laser/holster.
>>
>conceal carrying a striker fire
>Muh single action trigger poundage with no manual safety

Enjoy your Glock leg
>>
>>32640146
You actually bring up a decent point, I'm a little worried about the Glock's lack of a manual safety but I'm equally put-off by the 3-5 safeties present on a lot of similar compacts
>>
>>32639999
yeah honestly glock is the best choice out of those, a lot of people just wont buy one because HUR GLOCKS EXPLODE or HURR GLOCK IS LIEK A 2X4

theyre great guns though, reliable, accurate enough, stock trigger is ideal for CCW, huge aftermarket support
>>
>>32640159
No safety hammer down DA/SA carry is masterrace
>>
>>32640159
if carrying a gun with no manual safety, you MUST get a quality holster, that means no uncle mikes, no nameless nylon shit, holster selection is just as important as gun selection,
>>
>>32640161
I've heard issues brought up with the proprietary barrel rifling in Glocks and a lot of people suggest going for aftermarket barrels (triggers as well but less often)
>>
>>32640191
>>32640199
care to suggest any holsters and hammer-down DA/SAs?
>>
Cz p07

Get the newer one with front serrations

It's a bit big though about like a Glock 19
>>
>>32640206
the only issue I have heard about the polygonal rifling is when shooting lead bullets, but I've never tried that myself. Unless you load your own ammo it won't be a problem

I think the stock trigger is great for CCW, you don't want a super light trigger like some people may suggest
>>
>>32640229
good holster manufacturers off the top of my head:
crossbreed, comp-tac, galco, el paso saddlery, ross leather, blade tec

higher end : tucker gun leather, raven concealment
>>
>>32640191

>mahnigga.jpg
>>
>>32640276
That's probably going to be an issue then as I intend to reload and if everything goes according to plan, work my way up to casting my own plinking rounds. Though the difference in an aftermarket barrel may not be too much

>>32640257
was looking at CZs, not really sure which variants are what. Would probably be most interested in the compact variant with rail. The p07 seems like it'll be too large for comfortable CC
>>
>>32640161
Well, you're going to replace the goal post sights that are practically dovetail protectors. While you're at it you might as well replace the plastic guide rod. The trigger is kind of fine, but why not make it good? Might as well throw on an extended slide release and mag release of your choice as well. The problem is they end up not being so cheap. While other comparable guns may be a little more expensive, they typically don't require as many upgrades, so they'll really end up being cheaper in the long run.
>>
>>32641364
I've kept my g19 stock for 6 years. I even feel comfortable enough to carry it daily. You're crying over nothing famalam
>>
Hey /k/! I JUST got my CC permit

What should I carry and where/which holster??
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.