[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone explain why colt would make a 38 special version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: diamondback002.jpg (123KB, 1286x614px) Image search: [Google]
diamondback002.jpg
123KB, 1286x614px
can someone explain why colt would make a 38 special version revolver of one they already make in .357? what is the purpose, if the 357 can shoot both accurately? the frame is the same, same action...i am guessing there is a reason someone would choose a 38 special only revolver over a 357 of the same model but i cant figure it out
>>
>>32617747
It has a different snake written on the barrel.
>>
>>32617747

I think the Diamondbacks were actually a smaller frame size. Lighter, too.

Of course some of the most expensive Pythons were the Python Target models with the 8" barrel in .38spl.
>>
>>32617747

A lot of target guns in 38 spl had throats and forcing cones cut specifically for target ammo and wad cutters in particular.

That said most of the time 38 is just used in mechanically weaker variations or frames.
>>
>>32617997
are the cylinders shorter?
>>
File: IMG_0243.jpg (173KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0243.jpg
173KB, 1024x681px
>>32618117

That has been done before but not generally.

Here's an example of how a shorter cylinder can be used with shorter cartridges on a 625. I think it is quite ugly personally. Phoneposting atm but there have been some very short cut ones in the past for specialized competition guns.

Bear in mind a 625 is an N frame which is typically an 8 shot 357 or 6 shot 44.
>>
>>32617997
i see, this makes sense now. thanks anon
>>
They usually cost less so it's an easy choice for people that aren't ever going to shoot .357 or resell
>>
>can someone explain why colt would make a 38 special version revolver of one they already make in .357? what is the purpose, if the 357 can shoot both accurately?

1.) Certain police departments wanted to issue .38 special only revolvers, presumably because they wanted to minimize the potential for wounding innocent bystanders via overpenetration.

2.) The manufacturers can make the gun lighter and set it at a lower price point for buyers who don't want/need the option to shoot .357 magnum.
>>
>>32617747

While .357 magnum revolvers can shoot .38 spl and .38 spl +P, the shorter cartridges cause build-up on the end of the cylinder, requiring increased maintenance.

Revolvers in .38 spl caliber have shorter cylinders that eliminate the need for extra cleaning.

Personally I think it's useless and retarded. Just get a .357 mag and clean it as much as you need to with the ammo you decide to use.
>>
>>32617747
Because Colt only makes business decisions that ultimately hurt their productivity since they like the pain of falling on their face and going out of business. That's always been Colt's MO: Make shit nobody wants while we hoard the shit they do want so we can sell it for personal profit at mass gains to people who remember the good days.
>>
>>32617747

In my experience, shooting "specials" (38 and 44) through magnum guns are less accurate. Not end of the world bad, but I find magnum revolvers shoot magnum loads better.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.