[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has the UN ever deployed troops that weren't complete shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: UN-Peacekeepers.jpg (46KB, 600x352px) Image search: [Google]
UN-Peacekeepers.jpg
46KB, 600x352px
Has the UN ever deployed troops that weren't complete shit?
>>
>>32613252

their operations in Bosnia and Rwanda went pretty well.
>>
French foreign legion went into Sarajevo in 1993 wearing the blue beret. Unfortunately they had both legs and an arm tied behind their back and weren't allowed to do much but guard the airport.
>>
>>32613252
I guess we count back when we americans sent troops to the UN forces for Lebanon and Somalia.
>>
A few years back some Filipino peacekeepers were ordered to surrender to Syrian rebels but fought back instead. And then the UN commander called them cowards for it kek.
>>
>>32613252
They're all went in for the money. This is especially true for third world shitholes like india, bangladesh and other african countries like burundi

I suppose having an indian/bangladeshi soldier next to you would be better than having some african """"""""soldiers""""""""" tho. Indian peacekeepers, despite being a huge fuckup on top of chain of command, the average grunts are sufficiently trained and are decent enough to
>actually aim where they shoot at
>not raping/pillaging local populace (ugandan and burundian soldiers are known for this, even as far as selling weapons and munitions to rebels)
>actually trained to be peacekeepers instead of given blue helmets and fuck off somewhere

>based on some coffee shop talks with ex SANDF soldiers who used to don the blue helmet himself
>>
>>32613515
wut? got a link with the flips getting called cowards for fighting?
>>
>>32613547
>putting all african countries in the same bag
>dissing on chadians
>>
>>32613466
Same thing with the Canadians. I remember watching a documentary and some RCR guy said they were always breaking the ROE
>>
>>32613515
>>32613551
How dare they not want to be tortured and publicaly beheaded and for their families to become media controversy and insight more violence.

God damn it UN you can literally do nothing right.
>>
>>32613515
I remember that.

They managed to escape completely unharmed after being surrounded and low on ammo, and general poo-in-loo had the gall to call them cowards for it.
>>
>>32613252
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdN5fIZA1lw
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Pristina_airport
>>
>>32613551
google filipino peacekeepers defy orders
>>
Finnish peacekeeper is the best
or at least most professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8eEH7oozxo
>get rammed by merkava
>swearing in finnish intensifies
>>
>>32613594
Thanks for doing most of the work.
>>
>>32613559
>dissing on chadians

Unless they've did something worthwhile, they are just as bad as other african militaries

Having a competent military goes beyond quelling local insurrection and buying shiny new guns for yo ceremonial guards and look good in a parade. They lacked proper infrastructure to train their soldiers beyond basic bootcamps, the "generals" are corrupt as fuck (sometimes they took all the soldiers' pay during UN/AU mission), the soldiers themselves aren't properly kitted as some soldiers have nothing but a worn out uniform, an ak and 2 mags taped together (meaning that their government didn't even bother to supply them proper webbings). Logistics? The hell is logistics?

Fun fact; The only reason you see african AU peacekeepers are properly kitted is because countries like the US, EU (even China) provided them with said kits. The body armor were made in India because they are cheap (and none of them had plate armor) while the helmets are mostly croatian made

So far the only countries that actually kitted their soldiers properly are the ethiopian and rwandan
>>
>>32613609
I remember dad telling story about this, I thought he was bullshitting or at least exaggerating it. Never seen video on it before.
>>
>>32613466
On that topic, the last two homologated bayonet charges of the french army were made under UN mandate (Twin Tunnels in Korea, and Vrbanja Bridge in Bosnia).
>>
File: timthumb.jpg (61KB, 599x315px) Image search: [Google]
timthumb.jpg
61KB, 599x315px
Rapey fucktard nAggers can be UN and so can proper troops.
The problem is that where you need to Quell rapey fucktard nAggers they're probably the ones with a uniform.
>>
>>32613700
In modern combat, what excuse is there to have a bayonet charge?
The only situation I can think of is
>no ammo
>no air/fire support
>no reinforcements
>nothing to lose
>>
>>32613871
Or
>you're a brit squaddie and decided we haven't had a proper spirited march-and-stab in a while and I might make for a right bang up story to tell mum when deployment is up
>>
>>32613871
>no ammo
>no air/fire support
>no reinforcements
>nothing to lose
All of these are correct.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0bd_1249524865
>>
>>32613871
close quarter combat expected
psychological aspects for both sides

At twin tunnels, the french where surrounded and charged to break the encirclement (and rout the 125th chinese infantry division)
At vrbanha, they charged a captured outpost to free some of their soldiers.
>>
>>32613252
Redpill me on UN, what are they telling they're doing and what are they're doing
>>
>>32613609
Why are the Israelis hassling the Finnish peacekeepers?

What's the point?

t. curious Finn
>>
>>32614172
Jews being Jews in Lebanon.
UN tells Jews to get out, sends Finns and Irish to watch over the withdrawal.
Jews don't leave for 30 years while starting shit with the UN peacekeepers now and then like a shitty kid that thinks they can get away with anything because of their big brother.
>>
>>32614172
Israeli tonks want to go where UN doesn't want any israeli tonks. Fins continue traditional practice of standing (this time with pasi) unarmed in their way.

Israeli command really really wants the tonks to go forward and conscripts comply, fins disagree.
>>
>>32614237
You are talking like they didn't get away with it, and that the UN isn't a complete joke.
>>
File: 30702370320.gif (79KB, 450x290px) Image search: [Google]
30702370320.gif
79KB, 450x290px
>>32614172
being drunk is against the law
>>
>>32613252
Apparently the Saffers put some serious heat on the M23 rebels a few years ago, apparently they also deployed some recce sniper teams out there as well.
>>
>>32614105
UN degrees all sorts of things, like human rights. Most major nations that spearhead these degrees proceed to only pay lip service to them.

UN tries to keep peace in conflict zones and have failed horribly in past, last few peacekeeping missions have been successes at least partially.

Eh honestly still better than League of Nations
>>
>>32614294
They got away from bombing UN barracks and killing at least few finns about decade back. Their excuse was that building was not clearly market, blue roof and fuck off big UN signs are not enough.
>>
Reminder that Korea was a UN action.
>>
>>32614237
Israelis being Israelis

>>32614257
Well honestly if I were ordered to drive tank through UN peacekeepers when I was a conscript I'd probably have done it.

>>32614326
rude
>>
>>32614105

UN tries to be the unified voice of the world, by coordinating resources from many different countries to put a stop to "evil". While the goal is lofty, they have absolutely no centralized power, so they're subject to the will of the individual members.

It's basically just a bunch of weak coaches yelling "come ON guyz, lets work toGETHer!~~~" on a team full of selfish assholes. Sometimes a couple of the guys work together and pull off a winning play, but mostly it comes down to having that one hotshot (US/Russia/GB) who are skilled enough (large enough logistical capacity) to carry the rest of the team. The coaches can't discipline or try to act tough, because they're worried their players will quit the team, and then they won't have enough players to compete with. If they can't play, no one will recognize them and they'll lose the ability to compete in the future. Furthermore, they refuse to do anything too risky because they're worried about offending the players (countries) who don't get selected to take the risk, the audience (rest of the non-involved world), and the other team (enemy force). The last is most hilarious - the UN wants to maintain their moral superiority, and they're afraid that if they make spectacular plays, the other team will cheat, regardless if the other team is already cheating.
>>
>>32613682
Holy fuck dude at least look up what the Chadians have accomplished before you start talking out your ass
>>
>>32614502
That description of UN is very good. I am amazed that anything at all gets done in UN.
>>
>>32614105
In term of education, culture, human rights, environmental protection and shit people can get along with, they're doing fine

In term of world policing and enforcement of international law towards some rogue states? Prolly if said rogue states aren't buddies with either the US, Russia or China, and even then it's hard to enforce shit without having these 3 to actually get down and dirty.

Shit like rwandan genocide '94 gotta be the worst thing that happened under UN peacekeeping watch (and the rwandan had the french to be held responsible. Hell they even changed their official language to english and joind the commonwealth of nation just to spite the frogs)
>>
>>32614546
What accomplishment? That toyota wars? them running around in Mali?

Is that an accomplishment to you? Because that certainly aren't enough to justify how rotten their military is.

In fact their military is nothing more than a bunch of militias governed by dominant warlords.
>>
>>32613252
Yeah Canadian ones because they did not follow the rules of engagement and fucked over people who were actually a threat
like this anon said >>32613560

>>32614105
they really don't do much, its a circle jerk organization alike to which was the united nations before ww2, do effectively WORTHLESS
>>
>>32614553
Let's not forget the time that a bunch of Belgian paras got murdered because the higher ups literally wouldn't let them resist

>locals decide its high time for a coup
>during this they round up a bunch of Belgian blue helmets
>"Command, they're going to kill us!"
>"That's a bit extreme, don't you think?"
>paras proceed to get killed

Shit like this is why I don't fear blue helmets on US soil.
>>
>>32614603
Let's not pretend that they are professional army like other first world (or even upper third world) military are. The chadians may not gonna do well in PT test, most of them prolly can't read and write and they would get rekt in conventional war

Instead, they are well versed in highly mobile, unconventional wars. You need to have another highly mobile units to combat guerrillas/rebels/terrorists that fight an unconventional wars and Chadian army are exactly that by default
>>
In Korea. But back then, the UN command was just an extension of the US military.
>>
>>32613451
They were complete shit in Bosnia too. Not necessarily the soldiers but they had the worst ROE possible.
>>
>>32613451
Did i just enter a parallel universe where the rwandan genocide was prevented?
>>
Didnt they help get the Rangers out of Mogadishu during Irene?
>>
>>32613587
Hey, I remember that one. Mark Clark almost causing WWIII and the Brits deciding to toss his orders into the bin because they knew where that "Let's start shit in the Balcans" thing tends to go was pretty funny.
>>
>>32614789
what rwandan genocide anon?
>>
>>32614776
The biggest mistake the UN made in Yugoslavia was letting the Germans, Austrians and Italians speak freely. The Germans, for whatever reason, gave diplomatic support to Croatia. Bilateral, independent diplomatic support. I was in Croat-Bosnia at the time and the feeling was that the Germans would inevitably back that up with military support, which escalated the conflict.

What the Croats didn't count on was that the German "support" wasn't worth the paper that it was written on. Austria and Italy followed Germany, giving all sorts of reassurances about territory and refugees. From the Croatian end, they were firmly under the impression that the west had given them full recognition and would give them absolute support.

At the same time, this German support terrified the Serbs and made the Bosniaks look anywhere and everywhere for support. Much is written about the US, UK and Russia in Bosnia but in practical terms Germany had the biggest influence over the early stages of the wars - I remember paying for cigarettes, small items in DM and everything seemed to come through Germany. The UN let them get on with it, completely ignorant to the damage they were doing. By the time the UN were properly involved, they had no answer as to why they had let Germany promise the world to the Croats and put the Serbs up against it.
>>
>>32614849
Did Nelson Mandela die in this universe?
>>
>>32614850
It all worked out in the end though, didnt it?
>>
>>32614846
Clark claimed, at a later date, to have avoided war by striking a deal with the Hungarians.

He gets very angry, apparently, if it is pointed out to him that a British general and a USN Admiral told him to desist in attempting to start WW3 over an airport, and he even made moves to try and get said Admiral investigated.
>>
>>32614858
Who?
>>
>>32614934
Looks like i finally entered a universe worth living in.
>>
>>32613547
Nepalese peacekeepers brought cholera to haiti
>>
>>32614553
Shit gets done in the UN if everyone actually agrees on it and commits . Which really is the whole point of it. It doesn't happen often and the things everyone agrees on also tend to be less readily visible most of the time - it's often the old adage that the only sign of everything working is that you don't hear anything about something not working. If they truly agree on something, though, you can get achievements that are frankly enormous.

For one of the biggest examples: In the 50's an average of 2 million people died annualy from smallpox. In '58 the UN (with IIRC unanimous backing - even the US and USSR both agreed and backed this to the hilt) committed to a global campaign against the disease and within 20 years completely eradicated smallpox on a global scale. This whole endeavour made the Manhattan Project look small in terms of resources invested, and was really only even imaginable from a political angle with an international organisation like the UN in charge.

And since then, the WHO has gone on to keep eradicating some of the worst diseases to ever plague mankind one by one over the years.
>>
File: Afghan.jpg (99KB, 960x688px) Image search: [Google]
Afghan.jpg
99KB, 960x688px
I like to think the Finns, Swedes and us Irish do good work.

I haven't deployed yet but from what I'm told we're really well respected
>>
>>32614789
Underrated
>>
File: 1473449823975.png (26KB, 314x520px) Image search: [Google]
1473449823975.png
26KB, 314x520px
>>32613252
Yea
Had to be Irishmen of course.
>>
File: 1483188123048.jpg (13KB, 245x250px) Image search: [Google]
1483188123048.jpg
13KB, 245x250px
>>32613451
>Kebab removed
>Dindus butchered

Ya
>>
>>32613252

now shut up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_B%C3%B8llebank
>>
>>32613871
>you're a bong and remembered that you packed your bayonet with you and want to have some fun and maybe a new medul
>>
>>32614965
I wish I could afford a trip to Rhodesia. Place is a fucking paradise
>>
>>32615130
that gun looks so much nicer without the stock scope
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.