[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun storage...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

How do you store your guns, /k/?

I'm going to be buying my first firearm soon and before I do I want a nice safe or secure display case to put them in. It made me wonder how you store yours, what brands to look for/avoid along with features to look for/red flags on a product. I'd normally just hang them on the wall but given I'm going to room-mate with with my best friend to help him get started on living on his own/living life away from his parents just displaying them via a wall rack won't work.
>>
>guns
cool

>guitars
cool

>guns n' guitars!!!
Ask me how I know you're not cool.
>>
>>32611317
>windows on a safe
what the fuck
>>
>>32611338
>undateable
>>
>>32611317
I have a gun safe in my bedroom that I keep my guns in.

I only use a safe because I have kids.

If I didnt have kids, I would use a wood and glass gun cabinet.
>>
>>32611338
>assumptions
ASK ME HOW I KNEW YOURE NOT COOL
>>
>>32611349
The one reason I have a safe is fire protection. Are there fire rated cabinets?
>>
>>32611317
Brah there are like so many safes and options. You're going to need to provide some more information about what you're looking at and what kind of budget you're working with, "gun safes" are anything from ~100 dollar things the size of an office file cabinet you can fold down your back seat and put in the trunk in a normal car and carry up stairs completely alone to half ton monsters for thousands of dollars.

If you're not considering your current residence long term, I'd say get the lightest and cheapest one you can; hell buy a second one if it isn't big enough

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/gun-storage/gun-safes%7C/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104369580/stack-on-174-8-gun-security-cabinet/1192870.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fgun-safes%2F_%2FN-1100213%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_stype%3DGNU

You don't really want to get into big safe prices and transportation logistics unless you're installing it in a house you're passing down to your children.
>>
>>32611338
It was just the first image off Google. Chill.

>>32611345
Yeah, I had a similar line of thought when I saw it first too.

>>32611349
Can you tell me a bit about your safe or what sort of cabinet you would use?

>>32611359
Good question. I'll have to google that when I get home. See you all in about 2 hours.
>>
>>32611317
Got a safe for christmas. Pretty awesome actually, I've been installing lights and shit to make my arsenal look badass when you open it.

Also guns are valuable so theft protection is nice.
>>
>>32611359
I dont think so, at least not that I know of.
>>
>>32611354
>Cannot execute on proper tense or punctuation.

>>32611411
You could have chosen any, but of course there is no true free will.
>>
In a closet on a rack I made with some scrap at trade school.
>>
Mine are currently in a metal cabinet. No kids in the house and in a low crime area. Planning on a larger safe eventually, as I have other valuables to secure as well. Just need to finish fixing up the basement...

If it's only a couple Guns and your in an apartment, a cabinet would be fine. If you're really worried, you can bolt it to the wall or floor without messing things up too much. They won't keep out a determined the if, but they will keep people from just grabbing things they should pick up at parties and such.
>>
Current apartment set up is a cheap stack on safe in the closet
It's more of a deterrent to keep kids or apt maintenance workers from poking around and it makes my gf feel safer about guns in the house. A thief with a hammer or prybar would get in under a minute.
When I have a home i would like to build a small safe room into the basement to hold my guns and emergency food and water.
>>
File: newfamily.jpg (471KB, 928x767px) Image search: [Google]
newfamily.jpg
471KB, 928x767px
>>32611317
>>
>>32611317

>dat Gibson V

Do want

I just store my rifle in an old guitar gig bag.

>hiding in plain sight
>>
>>32611408
That's pretty nice and one I'll def be keeping in mind. My residence will hopefully be long-term but in the event it isn't then this will be perfect. Thank you.

>>32611359
I am very curious about this and will take to google if no answers get dropped here.
>>
>>32613510
people steal guitars more than guns.
food for thought.
>>
>>32611317
Once I have my own place that I want to build on some land I'm going to make a little room behind a hidden panel or bookcase, it'll have the lock on the other side of the case, but it's now out of sight completely which I like.
>>
Anything not a pistol goes in the closet. Pistols get stashed around the house.

>ANON BUT WUT IF U GET ROB'D

Well they can't get all of them. What am I afraid of, the police getting pissed? Not more than someone busting into another room and not having boomstick on tap.

When I was about 5 years old I saw a bunch of dindus steal a 700 lb safe that was bolted to the floor by prying the wood out and wrapping it in blankets. They came running down the street with the fucking planks from the floor still attached and the safe like a hoisted whale. Safes are a decent deterrent to one or two people. You add more than that to the equation and you better have a blast-safe panic room with a retinal scanner because you WILL be had by googles.

>>32613510
Better get while the getting's good on overseas stuff. That shit with any material consisting of wood in the rosewood tree family (ebony, bubinga, rosewood etc.) over 1.5 lbs needing individual license to transport is going into place soon. Unfortunately this means Gibsons will probably go from 1600 to 3200 for the standard models once Asian supply is run dry.
>>
all go in sweatypants

good for bars
>>
HD pistol on a magnet attached to my bedframe, ready to go
HD shotgun innacloset, chamber empty, full tube
10/22 wall mounted in coat closet for tactical skunk removal, empty chamber, full mag
everything else inna hidden safe
thinking of making some concealment furniture though, to have more room in the safe and have more firepower on tap
>>
>>32611317
>Residential Storage Cabinet

Fucking stupid. Everything that doesn't have 1/4" plate walls with full length welds and an airtight door seal is just a fancy, easily stolen wardrobe.

Any "Safe" sold in a gun store or department store is easily breached with a fire axe or angle grinder, or stolen with a dolly or pickup truck. It won't stop anyone who has an ounce of common sense.

Fire rating is a joke too, the fire isn't the main problem with gun storage: it's the smoke and then the water that is used to put out the fire. Good luck keeping your funz from rusting away or having the wood stocks warp like a motherfucker. And the heat will also melt any polymer guns long before the fire department arrives even if your wood ones won't ignite. Heat treated steels will also be tempered by most house fires even with a "1200 degree rated" safe.

A true safe big enough to hold multiple long guns needs to have your house built around it and be installed with a crane. They will be UL listed as TL, B- or C- rated, and listed to Class 350 (heated to 1700 F exterior and can't exceed 350F interior)
>>
>>32611317
https://www.vaultprousa.com/custom-gun-safes.htm
>>
>>32615009
>easily breached w/ axe/grinder
which takes a lot of time and makes a lot of noise
>smoke and water
you don't just leave your guns in the safe after the fire is put out. do you think a gun immediately rusts and warps if it's in the rain for a few hours?

it would be sweet to have a hermetically sealed safe under 10 yards of reinforced concrete with retina scan locks and a bank vault door, it's fucking overkill if you're storing a few pistols and rifles. Get a safe that is adequate to protect the value of whats inside. Secure it so a robber thinks it's too much of a hassle to get inside, or hide it so they don't know it's there in the first place. As far as fire protection, your home should be sprinklered anyway
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.