[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weapon cleaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 902-904-904b-905-916-932.jpg (82KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
902-904-904b-905-916-932.jpg
82KB, 800x800px
Hey /k/.
I have no civilian experience with weapon cleaning. I was infantry for a bit and we cleaned exclusively with CLP, a cleaning rod, and cloth.
I'm looking at the civilian market and the variety is huge, so I'm looking for some advice.
I'm getting a bolt action rifle, and from what I've gathered, I'll need:
>A carbon fouling solvent
>A copper fouling solvent
>A general lubricator/gun oil kind of thing (maybe CLP?)
>Grease for high friction areas
>A fixed cleaning rod, with a jag
>A bore guide
>A brush

With that, I clean the bore first with the carbon fouling solvent, then with the copper fouling solvent, then with the general lubricator, then once over the bolt, and grease high friction parts?
Am I missing anything? Is my idea wrong?
Would appreciate some help
>>
File: 1416950261824.gif (456KB, 480x361px)
1416950261824.gif
456KB, 480x361px
bump, pls help
>>
You are over thinking this. Get a bore snake and a wire brush and get some hoppe's and get some lube. clean it, then lube it. then shoot it. check every 3 months for lube needs if you don't shoot.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYINxnvaxuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8-MPsV2Wrg

good, perhaps excessively in-depth explanation of cleaning and lubing firearms by an angry old man
>>
I use breakthrough for solvent because it's odorless and gets the job done.

I use CLP for lube because I'm a Glock owner and the fact that it evaporates is actually a positive for that particular gun.
>>
Wait, how often do you clean your guns?
In the army we'd clean every time we took the weapon out of the armoury, regardless if it was fired or not. If we fired it, we'd clean it until it was meticulously clean, finishing with a generous coat of CLP on all metal parts.

I've heard other mates say they don't clean their weapons at all, or at least very infrequently. I believe a friend said he'd fired over 1500 rounds from his Glock without cleaning it.
>>
>>32610078
>falling for the Hoppes meme

I was just like you. Army vet. Never had guns before I was in. So I searched the internet and came up with Hoppes too. It works but it will make your entire house smell like a used industrial solvent toxic waste barrel.

I think this meme is perpetuated by the same people that insist aftershave burns them horribly just so they know its working. Pick a cleaner that says low/no odor unless you plan on cleaning your guns outside (and who the fuck would want to do that).
>>
>>32610398
The military wants you to do that so they know you know how to clean a firearm.

In civilian life it's enough to clean a gun every time you fire it.

The "generous coating" of CLP is probably too much. Enough to coat the gun without making it look greasy is probably enough for protection of the metal and lubrication of working parts. The problem with lots of lube is that it holds dirt, which when combined with the oil is abrasive. Too much lube is worse than none.
>>
>>32610406
Can you recommend one or several good low/no odor solvents?

>>32610420
What place does grease have? I've seen a lot of experienced shooters advise grease to reduce friction for something like a bolt, or even the lever of a lever action. Would that not attract and hold dirt?
>>
>>32610078

In what country did you serve?
>>
>>32610078
Find a basic cleaning video online to show you some of the steps. As far as chemicals I don't use toxic ones because I have kids. I use boretech or KG products for cleaning and slip 2k or ballistol for oiling. I'm testing some purple go juice from alg right now. For grease I use only aeroshell 6. Get yourself jags from boretech so you have no false positives and also get a carbon fiber cleaning rod. Ive spent hundreds of dollars finding what works and my setup right now is non toxic and cleans with the least amount of effort. I'm busy so I can't respond to this post but research all the chemicals I've told you and you will see how they perform against trash like hoppes and the like.
>>
>>32610434
>>32610440
See here for solvents. Boretech has a few different ones, I use the eliminator when I want to be really fast otherwise get the dedicated carbon remover as well as the copper remover. The eliminator is a mix of both.
>>
>>32610436
Aus, never deployed, however.
>>
>>32610434
It does, which is why it needs to be cleaned off regularly. If a bolt or lever is well-made, it shouldn't have lots of friction. A drop (literally one drop) of oil is usually enough to lubricate any metal-on-metal parts.
>>
>>32610459
I used CLP, which evaporates. Are non-evaporating alternatives any better for lubricating?
>>
>>32610473
Probably* not, and they will attract more fouling.

*I am not an expert, and am just repeating what knowledgeable people have told me. However, their reasoning seemed sound.
>>
While there are [hopefully still] posters ITT, is the new rifle break in process bullshit?
>>
>>32610522
Yes and no. Yes because the gun should just werk. No because in reality manufacturing isn't always as exact as we would like it to be so you may have some stiffer springs, extra material here and there, etc.
>>
I use hoppes 9 to clean the barrel and the internals then wipe of the hoppes and put a tiny coat of clp on the internals and use as much as I please in the barrel. you can use hoppes to clean almost every part but you wanna wipe off as much as you can. for a solvent its not very abrasive but make sure you dont use just hoppes.
>>
>>32610528
I mean more the process of
>clean the rifle after every shot for the first 5 shots
>clean the rifle after every 5th shot until you get to 50 shots

That kind of process. I understand as with any machine there will be a gradual smoothing of the mechanics, but I mean the break in procedure some people advocate
>>
>>32610434
Hoppes actually makes a low odor version if you really want Hoppes.

Honestly I can't tell the difference in cleaners. They all work pretty much the same to me. I just use clp now because it cleans and lubes in one bottle. Its funny because those solvents would have been really useful back in the Army. My armorers were anal about carbon and it really takes the carbon off. But now I'm a civilian I don't really give a shit. A little carbon isn't going to make your rifle fail.

And I'm not the other guy. Putting grease on your guns and then removing it every time you shoot sounds retarded. I wouldn't do it unless the gun was some $10,000 epic target shooter or something.
>>
>>32610543
>Putting grease on your guns and then removing it every time you shoot sounds retarded.

I'm the other guy. When you put it that way, I guess you're right.
>>
>>32610542
That's for super accurate target rifles. It's called conditioning I think. I've never done it but apparently there is some truth to it. Don't quote me on this though.
>>
>>32610406

I've never understood the point of aftershave or even shaving cream for that matter. I shave my face and head literally Agent 47 bald with hot warm water and bodywash and I don't get any rashes, ingrown hairs, or blemishes due to the shaving.
>>
>>32610584
Shaving foam is to lubricate the blade as it glides along your skin.
"aftershave" is a misused word for alcohol based, shitty cologne you typically put on after shaving for a fresh feeling.
The reality of doing that is that the alcohol dries out your already dried out skin (from shaving), and makes you smell like a used car salesman. Sounds trivial, but drying your skin out every, or every other day for a lifetime can make you look a lot older than you probably are.
Post-shave balm (assuming it's alcohol free [anything labelled "sensitive" usually satisfies this]) is ACTUALLY what "after-shave" would be, which is a balm you put on your skin to reduce irritation and restore some hydration.
If you really wanted to get your skin in good condition, you'd put on a sensitive moisturizer as well, but I don't really do this since I have oily skin already (which actually isn't a bad thing if you don't get pimples from it as it keeps your skin moisturized).
>>
>>32610553
https://youtu.be/HYINxnvaxuc?t=13m59s

This guy seems to say that simply firing a few rounds through a new rifle "conditions" the barrel with the copper fouling which "plates" the imperfections and roughness of the barrel's factory state. Sound right?
>>
>>32610584
you probably have fair skin and/or fair hair. I do too. I can use a bic razor and hot water for like 8 months straight and be fine. My brother's skin is not as nice as mine and he's got the thick jewfro facial hairs and he's got like a 2 hour ritual he has to follow if he doesn't want shaving to fuck him up.

I probably "won" in that regard, but I'll probably be bald as fuck by 35 and he'll have a full head of hair for the rest of his life.
>>
>>32610616
Yes that's what it's supposed to do. I've never borescoped at the range to find out. Don't worry about it unless you're doing rail gun competitions.
>>
>>32610458

OK cool.

So you need help cleaning a bolt action rifle?
>>
>>32610078
>Buy Hoppes
>Buy CLP
>Buy patches, bore snake, Q-tips
>Clean gun, store in non-humid place
WOW SO FUCKING DIFFICULT
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.