[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Video games improve accuracy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

File: bfbc2-recon.png (548KB, 853x470px) Image search: [Google]
bfbc2-recon.png
548KB, 853x470px
>“The more frequently one plays violent shooting games, the more accurately one fires a realistic gun and aims for the head,,” Bushman said.

http://www.livescience.com/19984-violent-video-games-improves-real-shooting-accuracy.html

Are FPS games basically training our future soldiers before they even pick up a gun?
>>
>>32605831
can anyone at this point honestly say they are surprised about the media taking an anti gun slant on something?
>>
>>32605831
Yeah, if rifles were two sticks you flicked around to aim.
>>
>tfw finally able to reach out to over 800 meters because I perfected my breath control and usage of the shift key
>>
That's actually pretty cool.
It doesn't shock me at all that this is the case, given how much vidya makes you aim for the head.
>>
>>32605831
>>“The more frequently one plays violent shooting games, the more accurately one fires a realistic gun and aims for the head,,” Bushman said.
Wow, I guess Counterstrike pros should be able to pick up a real Accuracy International Arctic Warfare rifle and nail 800m headshots right away.
>>
>>32605862
or a mouse you move around.
>>
>death by 720 noscope across the battlefield becomes a legitimate threat
Please god let this be true
>>
File: 1484016692426.jpg (63KB, 366x427px) Image search: [Google]
1484016692426.jpg
63KB, 366x427px
>>32605831
>Playing violent shoot-‘em-up video games makes people more accurate at firing real guns, and make them more likely to aim for the head, a new study finds
>To test the effect, the participants — after playing popular video games — shot pistol-shaped controllers at mannequins in a video environment (not a live shooting range)
>more accurate at firing real guns
>don't use actual guns
Hmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>32605831
>RE4
At least they had good videogame taste
>>
>>32605831
My magic attacks are a lot more potent now because I've been playing dragon age
>>
>>32605847
Sounds more pro-vidya if you ask me...

>>32605862
>>32605873
>>32605882
It improves hand eye coordination and fine motor control you gits. An exercise doesn't have to be a 1 to 1 model of the eventual athletic performance to be of value in a training regimen. This is not hard. :(
>>
File: laughing SS.gif (871KB, 245x230px) Image search: [Google]
laughing SS.gif
871KB, 245x230px
>livescience
>credible
>>
>>32605956
So regularly fingerfucking a keyboard means I'm an expert at shooting a Beretta fiddy cal?
>>
>>32605956
This.
It also trains kids to aim for more lethal parts of the enemy instinctively.

Could also be considered beneficial in that the soldiers would be more comfortable pulling the trigger on the enemy considering how they've always been portrayed as faceless clones in vidya.
>>
>>32605831
STALKER
Taught me never to rust the military cheeki breeki are faggots
Flank as much as possible
And running away while and flanking are ok to do
And always carry a grenade or two and makarovs sucks dix
Also taught me that inna woods can be fun.
>>
this scientific peer-reviewed study was funded by EA
>>
>>32605994
just finished stalker CoP for the 4th time, the last 2 have been with the Arsenal Overhaul mod, it is fucking godly. you can find it on modDB. The level of /k/ in that game makes the rage worth it
>>
>"...and aims for the head."

So becomes a worse shot?
>>
>>32606012
I think it's about how much more often they hit the head
>>
>>32606047
Video games don't improve your aim, anon. They can influence your behavior, but they wouldn't build those skills.

And in this case, a change in behavior to aim for the head would be a net negative.
>>
>>32605831
>aims for the head

So it teaches shitty, bad habits?
>>
>>32606073
not that anon but i'm not so sure about that
i went target shooting with my 15 year old nephew a few months back
fucker had never picked up a gun in his life but he'd been playing cod and battlefield since he was 9 or so
didn't miss a single time at 50 yards on his first time out
>>
>>32606113
>50 yards
There are people who have never touched a gun in there life who qualify at rifle ranges while being slapped around and yelled at at twice that distance.
>>
This retard seems to be ignoring the general link between playing vidya and eye-hand coordination. Very few vidya exist that accurately emulate firearms well enough to be considered 'training' mechanisms and those that do are unpopular.
His argument sounds about as ludicrous as saying vidya makes people more dangerous drivers because those who play videogames adapt to controlling the vehicle quicker.

Also, as others have pointed out, shooting for the head is a net negative accuracy-wise
>>
>>32606133

>rifle range

different than a pistol ya fuckin mook
>>
Bullshit. I've played vidya since I was a little kid and my aim is garbage.
>>
>>32605831
Well, I shoot pretty well on standard military rifles and pistols thanks to years of hand eye coordination training from video games.

But my experience is wholly anecdotal at best.
>>
>>32606101
"B-b-but it takes fewer hits to kill them that way" "360 no scope yolo! $#!"
>>
>>32606133
anon he was using a 9mm glock 17
>>
>>32606177
No? Point and click. Lining up a front sight post with a rear sight is basic coordination. Not mad vidya skills.
>>
>>32605831
/k/onscript here. I don't know what it's like for countries with a regular military, but from what I've seen it's true that the conscripts that did better at the range used to be 1337 gamers in high school.
>>
File: 1481343259732.jpg (39KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1481343259732.jpg
39KB, 510x346px
As an avid video gaming faggot who has never held, let alone fired an actual rifle in my life (such is life in mexifornia), I can only say I at least will feel confident once I do manage to pick up a firearm.

I'm pretty sure I am vastly underestimating the weight and recoil of firearms in general. I shake terribly when I get anxious over trivial things like forgetting to turn off the stove when I leave the house, so I'd imagine that my aim will not be steady in an actual firefight situation.

I am not a strong person.
>>
>>32606271
>I'm pretty sure I am vastly underestimating the weight and recoil of firearms in general
You are
But if you're even of an average build it won't be a big deal
>>
it might even be the situation that people who like FPS games do so in part because they like and are interested in guns. Sure, they may get some really dumb ideas about guns coming from the nature of video games, but having that interest would mean they'd take to the sport quicker than if they didn't have that interest.
>>
File: 1470051765115.jpg (22KB, 466x470px) Image search: [Google]
1470051765115.jpg
22KB, 466x470px
>>32605831
If it were reaction time, I'd absolutely agree, but accuracy?

Nah.
>>
really the only thing I can think of that would help videogame nerds in firing guns would be memorizing reload animation sequences.
years before I picked up an actual AR I knew that you hit the paddle thingy on the side to release the bolt because of videogames.
>>
>>32606375
what happens when they memorize this shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG4O9lVst7Q
>>
hey guys i play forza
am i formula one yet
>>
>>32605831
after training a decent amount of people I can tell you for certain that there is either no correlation or a negative correlation between video game playing and performance shooting.

I've seen people who have never shot or even looked at a gun before pull bullseyes right away, and Ive had videoamers not even hit the paper. It seems that the more someone thinks they know about guns and shooting, the worse they do since they try to act out their own fantasy of how guns work.

Ive seen kids put the stock of a rifle right up to their face because in COD ADS puts the gun right in the center of the screen
>>
>>32607856
now something that I think video games can help people out with is battle tactics and strategy for firefights, yet you barely use that information anyway. You also have to remember that in the game you can tank half a magazine before keeling over. In real life you obviously cant afford that
>>
File: 60305.png (235KB, 650x480px) Image search: [Google]
60305.png
235KB, 650x480px
>"have you ever shot a gun before?"
>"oh I play videogames all the time"
[parent]
>"hes always playing call of duty, he loves this stuff"

>mfw you can already predict how well he's going to shoot
>>
>>32607897
As you and others mentioned its not about being better at shopping but the psycological aspect og "killing". It's the same reason britain startede using man shaped targets during træningsgrej i the 1. World war. The soldiers were afraid to shoot husmand, but through training with humanlike targets the pecentages og people who shot at Germans rose i forstår contact. I believe gaming can apply in the same sende, in that you become less hessitant og shoot godt a person.
>>
File: wojak.jpg (280KB, 1024x1186px) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
280KB, 1024x1186px
>>32605862
>To test the effect, the participants — after playing popular video games — shot pistol-shaped controllers at mannequins in a video environment
>shot pistol-shaped controllers
tfw to intelligent for /k/
>>
>>32608061
wat is happening in this post?
>>
>>32606101

why is aiming for the head a bad habit?
>>
>>32605831
Eh, maybe. My wife grasped the basics of sight alignment without me having to explain it because of Fallout.
>>
>>32608275
Because you're far more likely to miss. Have you never heard the phrase "aim center mass." Any military or private instructor will tell you to aim at the center of a threat's body. Jesus christ how can people shitpost on /k/ without even having this most basic of knowledge.

Bottom line, videogames conditioning dipshits to aim for the head essentially make said dipshits less effective in real life scenarios.
>>
>tfw dad owns a gun shop
>doesn't let me work there
>asked him why
>"Every time you have a gun in your hands, you automatically point it at someone's head"
>>
>>32608374
>Jesus christ how can people shitpost on /k/ without even having this most basic of knowledge.

honestly i browse /k/ pretty often and this is the first time i heard someone argue against aiming for the head.
>>
>>32608393
so you've been browsing for 20 minutes max
>>
>>32608393

You're not supposed to expressly aim and shoot at peoples faces, you'll probably miss because the head tends to move a lot and is much smaller then the entire torso. There's enough important shit in your torso/pelvis that shooting there will end a threat just as reliably as blowing someones brains out.

You only fire at the head when it's the only thing you can see.
>>
I mean probably kinda since videogames improve dexterity and reaction times and shit, but they're definitely not even remotely accurate simulations.
>>
>>32608257
Drunk norwegian posting most likely.
>>
File: B27S-black[1].jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
B27S-black[1].jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>32608393
See the image. You aim for where you are most likely to hit.
>>
>>32605831
Based on my extensive testing with a sample size of 1, no it does not. My aim is shit and I've played shooting vidya for over two decades.
>>
File: 1466169735283.gif (15KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
1466169735283.gif
15KB, 266x400px
>>32607897
but then take a look at slower pace shooters like ArmA where strategy becomes more vital
pushing up, falling back, flanking and (trying to) work with friends/squad, positioning yourself in very advantageous, non-obvious spots when sniping... maybe at least a bit?
of course the meta in these games get tied around game-specific shit in a lot of places, like sniping in arma you'd place yourself under a pine tree because the branches will hide and (sometimes) be literally bulletproof. in gta i end up preferring a fast car with little to no back window cause when i have people chasing me i take 2 rights and wait for them to drive right into my crosshair for ez headshot meanwhile they would struggle to find anything to hit because my body'd be covered by the literally bulletproof rear.

as far as aiming for headshots.. yah you'd do that but only if the guy you're shooting is oblivious and standing still, otherwise in most games center mass is still the shit to go for.

i think beyond value of life, the biggest issues between game and reality is bullet penetration, and physics, both are things that can't be (very) easily gauged..
>>
It makes complete sense desu. FPS gives some semblance of weapons handling simulation, decreases reaction times while increasing hand-eye coordination, and most vidya has headshots with extra multiplier damage.
>>
>>32605831
It desensitizes you to the act of shooting hoomans and trains hand-eye coordination, but it also creates bad trigger finger habits.
>>
>>32606271
>recoil
>intermediate rifle calibers
Not really much of it, since you should have the gun snug up in your shoulder and both hands on it. A handgun maybe, since it's doesn't have that third stablizaing point.

The biggest thing with firearms that'll make you jump in your first shoot is the noise and actually feeling the concussive pressure.
>>
>>32608393
>honestly i browse /k/ pretty often

If /k/ is your only or even primary source for that sort of information I would rather have a completely uninformed normie next to me in a warzone than you.
>>
I'd argue that more punishing video games that require advanced tactics to succeed teach quite a bit. It may not be a 1:1 translation to real world experience, but basic weapons handling could easily be learned from gaming.
>>
>>32605831
>citations needed
>"study" involved a fake gun at 20 feet away
>>
I played fps nonstop and had never fired a real gun before joining the military, infantry no less and after a few days at the range was the best shot in my platoon and was one of the best shots in my Bn. long range deliberate shooting was more about natural ability but snap shooting definitely I think videogames help with that.
>>
>>32605831

>No L button on brain controller
>No auto aim

Debunked.

After a solid childhood of playing FPS games, controller and keyboard, my aim sucked ass when I first tried shooting in reality.

It might provide visual demonstration of how to reload, or some vague facsimile of how recoil _might_ affect the user, but real-life experience has no substitute.

Also, pneumatic training aids barely compare.
>>
>>32605831
The first time I picked up an AR I hit the forward assist to close the bolt because I played too much CoD4 as a kid.
>>
>>32605831
>The more accurately one fires a realistic gun and aims for the head
If i'm a pro quickscoper on some battlefield game i can kill a guy with a headshot from a Rt-20?
>>
>>32605831
The one thing I'll give to /v/ is that it shows you what the iron sights should look like when aimed properly.
That's got to help a lot on it's own for someone who's never held a gun.
>>
>>32608171
I didn't realize plastic pistol controllers had the weight, recoil, intricacies of real ones.
>>
I've taught a few gamers how to shoot, and most of the time they do better than non-gamers, I assume they know sight pictures better?
>>
>>32610994
>it shows you what the iron sights should look like when aimed properly.
I disagree. The only game that does ironsights right is MGS4 and ironsights in that game are impossible to use unless you're right up against the TV. In games like CoD, the rear sights are always way too big.
>>
File: level_by_andead-d76bhg1.jpg (70KB, 1500x827px) Image search: [Google]
level_by_andead-d76bhg1.jpg
70KB, 1500x827px
>>32605831
>>32605847

This is CORRECT

but its not a problem since you're building skill, not derangement (hence fake news).

It means in a combat or self defense situation you will be More Effective. Thats all.

If you're really good at this and you COMBINE it with actual shooting at the range you can get so good at it that you quick draw and could hit someone at close range without aiming (and if you aim, its a quickscope headshot pretty much).

Thats not going to work with a pistol farther than about 15 meters but with a rifle its going to improve accuracy out to 100 considerably.

> mfw we should be training soldiers not just on the field, but with FPS games, which we kinda do but we should do more of.

>>32605870
Its useful for skill building for target acquisition, target prioritizing, and shooting at close to medium range where no bullet drop is noteworthy.

In other words 200 yards or less (the primary engagement zone).

>>32605976
>>32605907
>>32605862
>>32606073

Nobody gets it that the Hand+Eye coordination DOES apply to firearms control if you also go out and Shoot in real life.

You're applying a skill thats built up to another one creating a bridge between the two.

The twitch gamer reflexes can then become muscle memory reflexes for using your Firearm.

However I will say that game mechanics that make the games easier like bullet magnetism, and collision models that are larger than the target, dont exactly help towards improving that effectiveness.

> mfw SURVIVAL HORROR games are not mentioned in anti-game propaganda

> even though they teach you to NOT HESITATE and take action immediately because otherwise you get fucked up in the game just like you would in real life.
>>
>>32605831
>the more accurately one fires a realistic gun and aims for the head
Choose one.
>>
But always aiming for the head is bad in real life I thought.
>>
>>32605862

ITT: Console plebs.
>>
>>32608387

I CAN DANCE ALL DAY I CAN DANCE ALL DAY
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.