[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3 Gun/Competition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: 3gun.jpg (41KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
3gun.jpg
41KB, 800x450px
Never really see competition threads on /k/ but thought I'd try. You guys DO run around and fire your guns instead of standing in one spot blasting away paper, right? I've decided I'm finally jumping into 3 gun this year and want to be set before the snow melts so I can get my money's worth out of my gear this summer. Because money is an issue for me I'll be competing in the Heavy Irons division and have already bought my guns: CMP garand, a 1911 borrowed from family, and a beater mossberg 500

My questions are
>who makes a decent (or even acceptable) 1911 for cheap? I'd rather bring garbage that's mine than someone else's nice gun. Also, what's a good price for a simple OWB holster? I usually CC so all I know are IWBs
>what shell caddies do you use, and if my gun is 5+1 and I use two 4 shell caddies, is that enough ammo?
>anyone with a garand know competition nuances? I was planning on just tucking clips into my belt or on the sling, but don't know if that's legal.

But let's not make this all about me. While I'd like to focus mostly on 3 gun let's make this competition general so we can get more people in here. I've competed in a lot of IDPA and some USPSA, so if anyone wants to discuss that too let's go. I know there's a bunch of stuff out there like 2 gun, practical rifle, etc. that's interesting too, so feel free to bring it up - always happy to learn
>>
>>32604823
Actually this sounds like a thread I want to be in.

I would like to try to get into 3 gun but I'm not sure if there are any around me or where to go to even begin. I was also recommended in the past not to start out on 3 gun and instead seek out individual rifle or pistol competitions first.
>>
It used to be the RIA tactical, but I'm sure there are more/better entry 1911s now. Whatever you do, go for a beavertail and something better than GI sights.

Look at your local ranges or wherever you plan to shoot and see if they have old courses of fire posted. That will give you a good idea of how many shells you'll generally need. There is one club near me that is pretty short range so they are shotgun heavy with 10-15 on a stage.
>>
>>32605037
Glad to see some people trickling in! I think it is easier (and cheaper) to start with IDPA especially if you CC because it's a little more realistic and simple. I actually use my exact CC setup during IDPA so I'm very familiar with it. All the 3 gun gear is kind of intimidating. I actually found the places I'm planning on doing 3 gun through people I met at IDPA, so that's a good way. I also found this site
http://wheretoshoot.org/index2.cfm
which might be able to help too.
>>32605101
Thanks for the info. I was thinking RIA but wanted to see if there was anything else I'd been missing.
>>
A local shooting range is going to hold two pistol competitions a month
I watched a video of how it's done
Rather basic, shoot around the curtain at targets than hit a couple plates and bowling pins
It looked like so much fun
I'm signing up for the next one
>>
Wow, I was just about to make a thread similar to this.

I live on land, have a decent collection, and am an ok shot but find myself tired of shooting cans and paper.

I have seen a few 3 gun videos and it looks like a lot of fun, but i have no interest in buying, owning, or using all that gear. I figure I could get by with mag pouches until I get a feel for what I really need.

Is anyone familiar with matches around houston. I found this place:

http://www.shilohidpa.com

but, it looks like their IDPA is held indoor which seems like less fun than having a shot up car that simulates cover for you or the target you're shooting at.

>>32605037
Where do you live?
>>
>>32604823
Your gun setup sounds like a good way to have fun, but how do you think heavy irons will save you money?
>>
>>32605784
Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention- I think RIA makes a decent budget 1911. I had one I picked up while trading for a month or so. One of my coworkers has an R1 and it looks better, but is more expensive.
>>
>>32606192
While its definitely more expensive long term, its cheaper for me right now because i already have a pump shotgun, a garand costs more than most rifles but i was planning on getting one anyway so its 1 gun instead of 2, and i can borrow the 1911 til i get my own. The money problems are only while im in school (graduate next spring) so short term its the best solution for me.
>>
>>32605218
>http://wheretoshoot.org/index2.cfm
I already know where my local shooting ranges are.

>>32605784
>Where do you live?
Colorado. Denver, unfortunately.
>>
File: pov steel.jpg (217KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pov steel.jpg
217KB, 1920x1080px
>>32605037
3 Gun is a little much for someone who has not shot a competitive match. Who ever gave you that advice was right. I would suggest USPSA pistol matches or Steel challenge pistol matches. USPSA involves a decent amount of dynamic moving and shooting. here is Dave Seginy at a level 2 match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H_BXhE2rU4

Steel challenge involves far less movement but is a competition in pure pistol shooting fundamentals.

I competed in college in a form of steel challenge at a national level. It's loads of fun. I am currently B class in USPSA but hope to move up pretty soon.
>>
File: IMG_20161204_203709817.jpg (4MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161204_203709817.jpg
4MB, 5344x3006px
What would you guys suggest for a match load for a 16 inch socom prior
.223 Wylde chamber? Also what boutique ammo manufacturers do you guys but from? Like gorilla ammo, prime, copper Creek ammo. Kinda looking for a heavier grain but damn is 55gr match ammo cheap compared to 69 or 77gr
>>
>>32608173
SOCOM profile* fucking phone posting
>>
File: sheriffs star shotgun.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sheriffs star shotgun.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>32604823
Get a semi auto shotgun when you can. pump actions are suffering. also get good shell holders and learn to load shells 2 or 4 at a time. getting good with shotgun will save you the most time.
>>
File: garand.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
garand.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
>>32604823
>what shell caddies do you use, and if my gun is 5+1 and I use two 4 shell caddies, is that enough ammo?
Depends on the stages but 14 should be enough if you don't miss or there is not much steel. Most matches will post estimated round counts prior to the event, at least in my experience.

>>anyone with a garand know competition nuances? I was planning on just tucking clips into my belt or on the sling, but don't know if that's legal.

Depends on whether you are doing an "outlaw" match or a sanctioned organization match. USPSA, 3gun nation or whatever other ones are out there. Outlaw matches were always my favorite at my old USPSA club, just brought whatever fit into the loose parameters. My first match, i didn't account for sight offset and blew through some wood cover, about 8 or 9 rounds. I didn't notice until I finished the stage. No one cared and people all day just kept blowing it to pieces.
>>
>>32608251
That place in your video looks familiar. It's not in VT is it?
>>
>>32608251
Idk, I'm decently /fit/ and only 24 so I haven't ever had a problem shooting my pump for several mags and doing reload drills at the range. I'm sure it's harder when you're moving but I think I can get through it without it being suffering. My shotgun's pretty small and light anyway. I'm sure if I get really into competing I'll stop doing heavy and switch to a division that lets me use a semi when I start making money.
>>32608276
Ok, sounds good. 3 gun doesn't start up by me til April so I'm sure I just need to check when the dates get closer to see details like that. I know one of the locations I'm planning on doing really likes steel only shotgun stages with high round counts but they don't give a shit about how you store your ammo, so I'd just fill my pockets with more shells. I'm worried other clubs won't be laid back.

I know I'm being lazy here instead of reading the rule book, but are you saying that in outlaw matches sticking clips anywhere is fine, but in sanctioned matches I need some kind of clip pouches?
>>
File: 870.jpg (883KB, 2400x1350px) Image search: [Google]
870.jpg
883KB, 2400x1350px
>>32608535
like I said, depends on the rule set. If it's informal then a bandolier might be cool. Not so much in USPSA or an organized match. You could do it with a garand, the only thing other guys in Heavy have on you is round count. I'm sure you'll be fun to watch though. Maybe a dump pouch?

Have you ever shot a USPSA match by chance?
>>
>>32608328
nah it's ohio
>>32608535
I forgot you were shooting heavy metal, I honestly never meet anyone who shoots that division
>>
>>32608663
Alright, guess I'll have to do more research on this place's rules. Hopefully I can get away with my ghetto setup for now. Yeah it's not the most ideal gun, but it's a hell of a good time and that's all I really care about. Dump pouch is a good idea, totally forgot about those.

Yes I've done USPSA a couple of times. I don't like it as much as IDPA so I only really do it if I'm really in the mood to shoot but I figured it'd be way more fun with rifle and shotgun.
>>
>>32608173
Nothing?
>>
>>32608173
What's your twist rate? 1-9 stick with 55 grain. 1-7 it would be okay to go a little heavier.
>>
Anyone try CAS here? Seems fun but I've never competed in any shooting matches before.
>>
>>32609298
1 in 8
>>
>>32604823
> Rules
http://www.3-gun.com/3-gun-divisions.html

Make sure to go see what 12 gauge shotgun everyone is using, not sure fixed cylinder choke is accurate for longer distances.

> Holsters
- https://www.webertactical.com/ (What the cool kids are using)
- http://www.blade-tech.com/ (most affordable, especially on Amazon)

> Shell Caddies
- http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Shell_Caddies_s/21292.htm
- https://www.amazon.com/8up-DuaLoad-Shot-Shell-Holder/dp/B00UO0FGIC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1484142860&sr=8-5&keywords=shell+caddy
>>
>>32604823

I've only done competitons with revolvers. How do the three gun competitions work?

Not much of a shotgun or AR fan despite owning a couple.
>>
>>32609458
Do you have a lot of experience with SA revolvers and lever actions? I'd say start with other, more simple competitions to get a feel of how they work before investing into a bunch of niche guns and an outfit.
>>32610556
I was thinking about that since the previous owner of my mossberg sawed down the barrel to just over 18. One of the places I'm shooting only goes to 25 yds so that won't be an issue, but the other has 200 yd bays so they have a little more opportunity for range. But I was just planning on bringing some slugs for any targets I thought were too far out.
Thanks for the gear list, amazon is probably what's going to be my outfitter. I'm not sure the loading port on my mossberg is big enough to jam 2 shells in at once, so I was planning on getting one of those shell caddies that just stack 4 on top of each other. I can load 4 shells, one at a time acceptably fast.
>>32610572
What kind of competition? Bullseye? You can look on youtube to see how matches go, but it's pretty much run around and engage targets with a gun, then ditch it and engage more targets with your other guns.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.