[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

File: Perdix drones by MIT.jpg (75KB, 634x422px) Image search: [Google]
Perdix drones by MIT.jpg
75KB, 634x422px
That's the sound of your death.
This is the new sound that will trigger PTSD in all future veterans

https://soundcloud.com/sidney-fussell/dronescream

Currently the US Navy is practicing dumping swarms of these from F/A-18s. They can be used for recon and they can be used as guided munitions. They are programmed to flock like birds, in a swarm, towards a given target.

>“Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature,” William Roper, director of the Strategic Capabilities Office, told the BBC.

“Because every Perdix communicates and collaborates with every other Perdix, the swarm has no leader and can gracefully adapt to drones entering or exiting the team,” added Roper.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603337/a-100-drone-swarm-dropped-from-jets-plans-its-own-moves/
>>
>>32604154
Can they be weaponized?
Like mounting a knife on them and they become a fast moving kamikaze drone.
>>
>>32604154
so what youre telling me is theres a big market for anti drone drones.
>>
>>32604247
weaponized eagles and hawks when
>>
>>32604212
>Mounting a knife on a flying robot grenade

kek
>>
>>32604154
>not string
>non-rubber band launchers

when will america catch up?
>>
>>32604247
Each infantry squad will deploy organically with a designated skeet shooter.
>>
>>32604609
Come on, it would be metal as fuck to watch a ton of these things swarm in on someone, impale them from a dozen different directions, then once they're all stuck in the fucker, they all simultaneously explode turning the guy into a fine red paste.

Shit, I'd re-enlist tomorrow if I could be the drone pilot that does that.
>>
>>32604154

Neato. These seem to be less "Drones" and more "Self-Guided Cluster Munitions w/ Camera!", seeing as how the fucker lacks any damn mode of moving itself beyond some Toy Story-tier falling with style.

This has its niche in urban bombing runs where you want to minimize the collateral damage, as long as there are no air-defence threats...

But why not put a rocket motor on these fuckers and give them to mounted infantry?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (240KB, 600x648px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
240KB, 600x648px
>>
>>32604625
And they said combat shotguns were obsolete
>>
>>32604154
They look like chalk reels with rulers glued to them.
>>
>>32604688

> seeing as how the fucker lacks any damn mode of moving itself beyond some Toy Story-tier falling with style.

They've got little electric props in the back, and a pair of combined alierons/elevators (elevons). They're fully viable miniature aircraft.
>>
>>32604769
a prop and ailerons dosent mean it can sustain itself. not saying thats for sure, just, many gliders have props and such to simply increase its gliding distance
>>
File: myviewofhumanity.png (2MB, 1280x713px) Image search: [Google]
myviewofhumanity.png
2MB, 1280x713px
>>32604769
Ah. I should have paid more attention, anon-sempai.
Got any idea on what they'll use this for a 500lb bomb/Cluster munition won't do?
These might be good for picking up individuals/fireteams and fucking them up, and not the city block they happen to be in...
Or am I seeing these in the wrong light?
>>
>>32604754
"Off-the-shelf components."
>>
>>32604154
This is a reaction to the Chinashill drone thread, right?
>>
>>32604154
the best part is that they totally fuck with radar, and could conceivably completely mask the signature of approaching strike aircraft if deployed carefully enough in advance.
>>
>>32604688
>claim you arent making cluster munitions
>call them drones
>They are no longer cluster munitions
>sell them to saudis
>>
>>32604910
not really. just smarter then a dumb cluster. imagine cluster bombing a crowded marketplace and only killing the 7-8 guys you wanted. these could be really REALLY low yield directional explosives, small enough its only dangerous for who it directly hits.

think of them having a contact detonated buckshot shotgun shell on them. hitting from the shoulder/head/chest aiming almost straight down, unless they are LITERALLY hugging a innocent, its almost collateral free.

hell, have a short barreled 50 bmg single shot tube thats contact detonated. thermals or whatever to see whose hiding in what building and the drones just strike the roof. 5-15 drones hitting nearly the same time firing a 50 salvo through the roof directly at the skull/upper body of the heat signature. you could carpet bomb an entire building and leave nothing but a few holes in the roof
>>
>>32604386
Navy uses seals and dolphins to search for mines

Army uses dogs to search for bombs and shit

Air Force deploys eagles to fight drones.

America literally uses bald eagles in battle.
>>
>>32605061

How small can you make an EFP warhead, anyway?

It'd be interesting if you made the whole thing essentially a flying single-shot gun that can penetrate armor like a mad cunt.
>>
>>32604154
Barney...

...get the crowbar
>>
File: ayylmao.jpg (34KB, 600x403px) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.jpg
34KB, 600x403px
>>32604997
Now thats some grade-A Tier fuckery.

> Make "Drone" highly advanced cluster munitions
> Sell to saudis to "Test" them and "Protect themselves using these drones for recon"
> Suddenly durkas are exploding en masse without snackbar-ing, with damn fine accuracy
> Someone calls them out
> Shrug and tell them 'its just a drone' and 'thats the same argument against the Predator'
> ????
> Profit and dead snackbars

Win-win?

>>32604953
My sides have detonated

>>32604980
I wonder if they can 'glide' in the same airspace for a several minutes to do just that, then have these fuckers start bombing shit as the battery nears dead. But I know very little of Radar/LIDAR systems...

>>32604695
You got the right idea here
>>
>>32604154
>“Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature,” William Roper, director of the Strategic Capabilities Office, told the BBC.
What happens if you jam their signals? What about plain old unintentional interference?
>>
>>32605146
>Win-win?

Seems like they'd be extraordinarily cheap too. If they were contact detonated .50 or buckshot they'd cost a whole lot less than typical explosives.
The biggest problem would be if the ragheads figured out they could jam them by broadcasting white noise really loud.
>>
>>32605150
>jamming an LOS system

Damn hard.
>>
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/01/10/pentagon-successfully-tests-autonomous-swarm-of-micro-drones/

There's a video of the test here. bretty neat.
>>
>>32605194
> Cheap
Maybe in the scale of a military-industrial complex, yeah, but the electronics and software package that almost any drone that isn't a quadcopter tends to cost a bit. Maybe a grand a piece? So a 10 grand drone-run?

>>32605150
Basically they are cloud-computing, but can probably react on their own pretty well. Not to mention each probs has to be instructed before deploying.

Also, ragheads with directional antennas can really mess shit up. So probs a failed mission whit none of them detonating?
>>
>>32605194
i was thinking more about contact buck or 50. why not just a plastic cup full of sharp blades or flechettes, with a paper covering on the front?

hell, what about just a weight? even if your wearing a helmet a volley of 10-15 guided pool balls hitting you dead on the head or upper body...

10-15 x 5.5 ounces ( plus drone weight ) x terminal velocity? maybe shape it as a spike? its gets crazier the more i think about it. carpet bombing a crowd of a 1000 innocents and killing the 15 targets in there with nothing more then what sounds like a few thumps, and zero property or human collateral
>>
>>32605271
>Perdix are not pre-programmed
right in the op, mate
>>
>>32605271
>Maybe a grand a piece? So a 10 grand drone-run?

Nowhere near that much, these are using currently existing civilian technology. You can make these in your back yard. ~$80-$120 per unit not counting ammunition.
The test run was 108 Drones and that was only one.. uh, bay? I don't even know what you'd call it, but only one hardpoints worth from each of two FA18's.

Imagine how effective they'd be at ground support. Drop a swarm of them to seek and destroy infantry pinning your boys down instead of doing gun runs with the aircraft itself.
>>
>>32605277
Because logistics. Better to just use something you're using anyway rather than an entirely new ammunition.
>>
>>32605323
civilian grade technology, sure. when your dropping explosives on top of people you kinda test and put a fuckload of effort into quality control.
>>
File: 1477357196288.gif (2MB, 350x169px) Image search: [Google]
1477357196288.gif
2MB, 350x169px
>>32604625

> be Army grunt in 2027
> deploy to Nigeria fighting Chinese-backed insurgents for the oil fields
> Chink drone swarms are some scary shit, but the DoD has promised us a secret weapon
> we put boots on the ground and up walks our anti-drone gunner
> his name is Nigel, 45 years old, upper crust East Coast type
> says he left "The Vineyard" or whatever to help troops as a tax shelter
> motherfucker isn't even wearing kevlar... just a tweed cap, shooting jacket, riding boots and some weird plaid pants
> doesn't have a rifle, even... just an antique double barreled shotgun
> hump 10 klicks out in the bush and this fucker won't shut the fuck up about stock options and tax shelters and clam boils and shit
> what in the fuck have the brass done to us?
> and then we hear it.... a drone swarm coming right at us
> there must have been 50 of the fuckers and we know we're just fucked and all of a sudden, East Coast Rich Guy screams "PULL!!!!!!!"
> he takes a pull off his flask of scotch, stuffs it in his back pocket, throws up his shotgun and just goes to fucking work
> BOOM-BOOM *reload* BOOM-BOOM *reload* BOOM-BOOM *reload*
> drones are blowing up and falling out of the sky, guys are shitting themselves, it's all mass chaos except for this fucker just blasting away on his little shotgun
> all of a sudden, the last drone falls out of the air in pieces and this guy readjusts his shooting jacket, takes another little tipple off his flask and goes back to explaining Polo to us
> our faces when
>>
>>32605349
The point is, even the highest quality parts for this kind of thing are cheap, we've had the technology for years, it's already being mass produced and used in search and rescue operations around the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teQwViKMnxw
>>
File: 1469123307673.png (310KB, 625x352px) Image search: [Google]
1469123307673.png
310KB, 625x352px
>>32605291
They still have to have some kind of base programming for people to give them orders as well as handle errors and loss of signal, then before mission given specific orders? I read the damn article and watched the film...

I mean, drones still need programming, regardless of what WP says.

>>32605277
I mean, a few ounces of semtex would make them terrifyingly lethal, contact buck would be too easily defended with already existing armor.

.50 BMG with a 4 in barrel could do some massive damage as well, but trying to stabilize a prop-glider to shoot a small target with a short barrel seems difficult.
>>
>>32605354
kek
>>
File: manhacks.jpg (44KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
manhacks.jpg
44KB, 700x525px
oh shit nigger
>>
>>32605378
if your body armor covered your head and neck, sure. even if they make armor that withstands that, that means everyone who dares walk outside has to wear obvious helmets and neck armor. even if THAT protects you, 10xsome pounds of weight hitting you right in the head is going to floor you, knock you out.

>trying to stabilize a prop-glider to shoot a small target with a short barrel seems difficult
contact triggered. if the drone its you, its aiming right at you. just a barrel with a trigger and a long spike like a bayonet. spike hits flesh/target/wall, pushes back trigger, bullet fires.
just make the spike long enough that the bullet just starts to exit as the barrel just hits the target itself
>>
>>32605150
Rather than jamming signals, look into something like a souped up HERF gun. There's limits to how much shielding a drone that size can carry.
>>
File: hack attack.png (764KB, 689x422px) Image search: [Google]
hack attack.png
764KB, 689x422px
>>32605450
OH SHIT NIGGA
>>
File: 1463147529948.png (146KB, 422x493px) Image search: [Google]
1463147529948.png
146KB, 422x493px
>>32605468
Fuck, your right, anon-kun. I was just thinking on 'Bombarding through buildings with 50 using drones' which doesn't sound feasible...

>>32605354
Kek. We need automatic breaching shotguns for room-clearing and drone-skeeting.
Drone skeeting :'D fugg
>>
>>32605541
well, that "roof hitting" idea was also really for mostly mud huts and lightly armored vehicles. but yeah, hitting from directly above, at a thermal signature. not flying around into the building and shooting people like a helicopter with a pistol
>>
>>32605647
You could easily designate some as breaching charges as well. Load them up with a bit of high-ex, they open the way and in goes all your contact detonated bulletdrones.
>>
>>32605541
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX7vwivR6cE
It is time.
>>
>>32605684
>7 years ago
>no more videos on his channel
>no information ever since

did the ATF shoot his dog?
>>
>>32604655
>Shit, I'd re-enlist tomorrow if I could be the drone pilot that does that.

the only pilot getting to do that will be AI, and we'll all be dead
>>
File: rip doggo.jpg (51KB, 449x449px) Image search: [Google]
rip doggo.jpg
51KB, 449x449px
>>32605733
It was a cute doggo.
There's another one on his myspace page.
https://myspace.com/twiztedtunez/video/my-belt-fed-12-gauge-upper-receiver-for-ar15-or-m16/52596068
>>
>>32604655
>fine red paste
Uh...why waste time stabbing if they're going to get shrekked in the explosion anyways?
>>
>>32605819
Psychological warfare.
>>
We gundam now
>>
File: rhode2.jpg (56KB, 609x401px) Image search: [Google]
rhode2.jpg
56KB, 609x401px
>>32605354
My sides are like their sides and just blew out the windows like a shooter just called PULL!

Top kek anon.

I came into the thread to post that pic related would be the new honey on base and get all the boys to her yard.
>>
File: slambang quadro 2.jpg (233KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
slambang quadro 2.jpg
233KB, 800x400px
>>32605468
here I made a mockup
>>
>>32605250
Interesting, thanks anon. Looks like these things are very maneuverable inside a 1 square km zone.
>>
>>32605819
So the drones have time to play "heh, nothing personal kid" over a speaker before blowing him up.
>>
>>32605819
The memes anon.

Memetic warfare can be more disruptive in certain ways.
>>
>>32604655
>enlisted
>thinks he can into pilot slot

Cute
>>
>>32606390
...enlisted can pilot drones in the usaf...kid.
>>
>>32604154
They're not weaponised, etc yet; the drones in your pic are little more than flying batteries. Weaponising them to be capable of doing anything other than delivering a ~50g charge to within a meter of a GPS location will take another decade.
>>
>>32605851

Honestly, I'd hit it.
>>
>Letting computers decide who to kill

Bad idea man. Bad idea.
>>
>>32604154
This raises something I've been thinking about for a while and which really scares me. With modern off-the shelf RC and Drone tech and a few pounds of explosives it'd be pretty easy for a bad guy to build a mini cruise missile and assassinate somebody with it. I'm not sure how you'd defend against a little 300mph guided grenade either.

I almost hope NSA is reading this one because if I've come up with this idea, then ISIS/Al Queda/whoever have probably thought of it too.
>>
>>32605450
>>32605535
I can't wait for the manhack arcades.
>>
>>32609420
Everybody has thought of it. Many will be trying to build it.

Swarming top attack EFP munitions could be bretty cool. Wrap em in a fragmenting sleeve for more lulz.
>>
>>32605109
>How small can you make an EFP warhead, anyway?

As small as existing submunitions.
>>
>>32609420

ISIS already uses drones to record their cars exploding in enemy compounds. They probably don't use the drones for anything else because of how rare and expensive the tech is for them in Syria.
>>
>>32610066

Those are meant to kill vehicles, though. Is it possible to build one like an inch in diameter that shoots with the power of a rifle bullet?
>>
>>32604154
They need a paint job to make them look like bees.
Big.
Angry.
Bees.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.