[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Gun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

Went to go apply for my Firearms ID card and handgun permit in the beautiful state of New Jersey but found out I need to be 21 for a handgun.

So now I'm looking for a rifle, preferably something cheap(Under $700). Should I buy into the Nagant meme?

First gun general, anyways
>>
>>32600180
Save the money to leave that shit state.
>>
File: 1024px-Nagant_Revolver.jpg (73KB, 1024x664px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Nagant_Revolver.jpg
73KB, 1024x664px
>>32600180
Nah friend, the nagant isn't even a good revolver, unless you are looking to suppress that is...
>>
Get a bolt gun or an SKS
>>
>>32600180
No, they are no longer $79OTD with 440rd spamcans for near the same. Putin vs Obama has pretty much burned up all the 54r surplus, so its only gonna raise in price.

NJ is a shithole, but if you want a cheap starter rifle, I'd say go for something like a Savage Axis with presighted glass for ~$350. That way you just got to add a harris bipod and you got an awesome durr rifle, and can practice trying to get those 600m shots with your $1/rd Fed GoldMetal Match rounds if you can find a range that long.

Otherwise, grab a Benelli Nova 26" if you want a shotty.
>>
File: 1383639472441.jpg (110KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1383639472441.jpg
110KB, 640x360px
>>32600180
Be prepared to wait.
And wait.
And wait some more.
I applied for my NJ FID back in late october.
Any sooner and I swear I'm going to scrub that blue paint off of my town's roads
>>
>>32600188
I wish. Still in college.

>>32600209
I've seen SKSs going for over $500 in the state. Isn't that overpriced?

>>32600250
I only know of indoor rangers near me, but I look into the Savage

>>32600264
I know most of the people in the department and the woman told me end of February.
>>
>>32600320
>I wish. Still in college.
Then spend money on college. Doing the whole dance to get a gun in NJ is a waste of time and money. Or transfer, which is what I would do.
>>
>>32600320
Most I'd pay for an SKS is $550. Chinks for 450.

In North Jersey, Cherry ridge is a decent range. Guns for hire might be getting better soon, depends on how their additions turn out. your best bet is indeed moving to PA, second is to find a good spot in PA to shoot, third is using NJ's ranges.

I was told 6-8 weeks. So Idk, maybe they'll follow through. Legally it should be under 4 weeks. Just get ready to do link related if you get stuck in waiting hell like me.
http://www.nj2as.org/how_to_address_permit_delays

>>32600340
Not really, he still has family living there, so he still has a reason to do it.
>>
>>32600492
I live in Trenton so I could drive to PA at anytime as long as my firearm is unloaded and in the trunk
>>
>>32600492
>Not really, he still has family living there, so he still has a reason to do it.
I don't understand the relation of family to not bothering to get a gun in NJ.
>>
>>32600180

In my personal opinion:

>Bolt action
Yugo Mauser beats the Mosin any day of the week, and a brand fucking new Yugo Mauser goes for $300 (Mosins are as much as $250 these days). A Mauser is a billion times better than the Mosin in terms of build quality.

>Semi-auto
SKS or AR-15. SKS can be really nice to buy, especially if you get a good deal. Sites like Southern Ohio Gun have unissued (read: brand new) Yugo SKS's for $400. You can probably get an M&P 15 for around $700 too if you want a nice AR-15.
>>
>>32600180
As another NJ fag I can recommend a few things.
Something to note is that most ranges in North and Central Jersey are indoor and may not allow large rifle cartridges or even anything beyond pistol cartridges. Almost all don't allow steel cased ammo. What I recommend is finding a range that works for you and see what they allow.
You also can't keep your guns with you if you live on campus (at least at any of the state schools).

For guns:
SKS - OK, but don't buy Yugo online since many have a grenade launcher attachment which are banned. Almost all affordable ammo is steel cased.
AR - go ahead and buy either the Ruger or Smith and Wesson neutered version for banned states. If you build your own, make sure you remove the bayonet lug and don't put a flash hider on it. Not so important if you don't shoot in NJ.
Yugo Mauser - a solid rifle. Aim to get a M48 over a M24/47. Ammo is expensive and it is a large rifle cartridge.
Mosin Nagant - decent rifle. While it is a large rifle cartridge, due to the shear number of rifles the ammo is cheap. Unfortunately cheap ammo is steel cased so not allowed at all ranges.
Cheapy .22lr - get if you only can't find a good range that lets you shoot rifle cartridges. You will have to buy your ammo either private sale (gun shows in East PA are common and scalpers have been selling off hoards of ammo) or through an online dealer who doesn't check for ID.

If you go to any dealer in NJ or just out of NJ, they can help you out and have experience dealing with NJ bullshit.
>>
>>32601813

>Yugo Mauser - a solid rifle. Aim to get a M48 over a M24/47. Ammo is expensive and it is a large rifle cartridge.

>Aim to get a M48 over a M24/47
>Ammo is expensive

How wrong can a single post be? M48 is undesirable compared to the M24/47 since the latter uses 100% milled parts and walnut with arguably better skill being put into making it. The M48 (M48A included) are a mixed bag which can have shitty stamped parts, low quality wood, and worse assembly. M48's also generally see combat (and thus wear), while M24/47's were often left in storage.

Ammo is cheap as piss if you buy surplus, such as Turk being ~25 cents a round, with Romanian being a bit more.
>>
>>32601813
I have an apartment and the contract doesn't prohibit firearms. Will keep in mind though
>>
>>32601813

Yugo SKS's are legal in NJ, as long as they don't have a removable magazine. The problem comes from having both the removable magazine and the grenade launcher.
>>
>>32601939
If you want to go shooting find someone with a membership to the central jersey rifle and pistol club. Outdoor 16 pistol pits, 200yd general purpose range, 300yd high power range, 24/7 indoor pistol range.

It's pretty awesome. I'm a member. I can send you an email if you want to check it out.
>>
>>32601869
You have not bought surplus 8mm Mauser ammo in awhile have you. Surplus for 8mm Mauser is the same price (within pennies) as modern production. In addition, you don't know the bullshit that is NJ shooting ranges. Many will stop you from shooting anything with a steel core or jacket which is almost all surplus 8mm Mauser. I have never seen Turk surplus for anything but collector prices in years.

As for the M48 vs M24/47, I can tell that OP does not have any real experience with guns. I was trying to steer him away from guns that have a good chance of have seen use. Yes milled parts are better but not to the point that I would blindly recommend to a brand new gun owner to buy what could be a shot out lemon, just because milled parts are better. 99% of the m48's never saw use while most 24/47s where used prior to refit.

>>32601947
I am going with the theory that OP is brands spanking new to guns and can't tell the difference between the grenade launcher and non-grenade launcher SKS. I am well aware that they are not banned but grenade launcher versions are.
>>
>>32600250
>NJ is a shithole, but if you want a cheap starter rifle, I'd say go for something like a Savage Axis with presighted glass for ~$350. That way you just got to add a harris bipod and you got an awesome durr rifle, and can practice trying to get those 600m shots with your $1/rd Fed GoldMetal Match rounds if you can find a range that long.

#1 there is no 600m range in NJ
#2 you cant hunt with a centerfire rifle in NJ outside of a few niche situations
>>
>>32602053
Do you happen to know of any ranges in NJ that go beyond 200yrds? Wouldn't be surprised if they existed but I didn't see any when I first got into guns.
>>
>>32602098
See
>>32601989
>>
>>32602125
And now I failed my reading comprehension. I even saw that before.

Thanks anyway.
>>
>>32602098
No there are no ranges that go beyond 200 yards. There are some clubs but they are a metric fuck ton of money to join and you have to invest your time as well.
>>
>>32602165
>>32602173
Yeah, I spent about $700 for the first year.
It's $300 a year after + you need to prove NRA membership.
>>
File: 1470657744455.jpg (40KB, 529x404px) Image search: [Google]
1470657744455.jpg
40KB, 529x404px
>>32600180
>a permit to exercise a constitutional right
>>
>>32602197
Ow. I guess I will continue to drive out to the range in PA that I have been when I want to scratch that beyond 100yrd itch. Thank you based PA for your state run ranges.
>>
>>32602236
there is a public range at fort dix that goes out 200 yards and its probably the cheapest place to shoot.
>>
>>32602217
I could swear I saw somewhere NJ refused to recognize the Heller decisions and still see gun ownership as a privilege.
>>
>>32600264
It sucks because legally they are obligated to do it in 30 days. But WHO'S GUNNA ENFORCE IT. Mine only took like 3 or 4 weeks though so I didn't go all sovereign citizen on them. i do have to change my address though, thinking about making some purchases this year.
>>
>>32602015

I just bought 1,050 rounds of Turk surplus last month for $270, so you can definitely still get good deals.

As for the Yugo SKS, you can own one with a grenade launcher in NJ, as long as the magazine isn't removable.
>>
>>32602465
Cheapest I see on gunbot is the Iranian surplus from SGAmmo which is for reloaders (duds and hangfire galore). Where did you find yours so I know to watch in the future?
>>
>>32602528

Got mine on Gunbroker. The fellow had something like 5,000 and I would have definitely bought more, but doing so would mean living on cup ramen noodles for a while, so I stuck to 1,000.

I've also gotten some Greek surplus at similar prices from local gun shows.
>>
>>32602543
Should have just gone with the ammo and then went to the soup kitchen.
Congrats on a good deal anon.
>>
>>32601813
isn't there a two features part to our AWB where you can compromise in order to get a feature?
Like, taking off a pistol grip and putting on a thumbhole stock in order to gain a flash hider?
>>32602399
Yeah fuck these guys. No sense of servitude, but will protect the ever loving shit out of you.
Guess I'll start calling them once the Golden Don gets inaugurated
>>
>>32602628
NJ law states no more than 1 "evil" feature. You may want to look into with some real legal authority about thumbhole stocks and NJ. Try NJ branch of the NRA.
>>
>>32602310
NJ state constitution has no right to bear arms. They are also the only state that doesn't allow personal manufacture of firearms and they don't recognize type 3 FFL licenses. (the NJ branch of the BATFE tells you to not even try to apply)
>>
>>32603108
Yeah I actually truly believe we have the worst laws here in NJ. I know Commiefornia and NY are meme for their laws, but I'm pretty sure we're the last truly "No Issue" state in practice [I know it's "May Issue", but not really]. At least in Cali and NY you can live in certain counties and at least get a carry permit.

Here's to a Federal Carry Permit, the only way NJ will ever issue carry permits.
>>
>>32603108

NJ also is the only State to not recognize C&R, meaning any firearm has to be shipped to an FFL.

>>32603184

You can bet your ass NJ will throw a hissy fit if they're forced to allow concealed carry.
>>
>>32603268
thats what type 3 is friend :)
>>
>>32603352

Fuck it, I'm rusty on my terminology since I obviously can't use a C&R. Thank fuck I'm leaving this horrible State this year.
>>
>>32602758
You're right.
http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.