[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /k/ feel about the old Vietnam era rucksacks? They are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1.jpg (39KB, 640x434px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1.jpg
39KB, 640x434px
How does /k/ feel about the old Vietnam era rucksacks? They are interesting seeing as they were the first nylon packs to be used by the military. Are they still as good today as they were back then? Are they worth owning today?

Also general old gear thread
>>
File: IMG_4.jpg (38KB, 640x391px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4.jpg
38KB, 640x391px
>>
>>32595956
>>32595964
bump, i just got a medium alice pack a few months ago for 25$
>>
Alice packs are fine. I went through Basic, ait, and a few years at bragg/iraq with one.

the new packs are too fucking big. they only encourage dip shit commanders/SNCOs to overpack their soldiers.
>>
>>32595956
old but gold IMO, they're an example of surplus that has stood the test of time
>>
>>32596065
>commanders/SNCOs to overpack their soldiers.
i thought they have always done that.
>>
>>32596109
yes, but starting with a smaller pack lowers the amount of overpacking.

which is why our battle rattle never gets any lighter, despite the individual pieces getting lighter.
>>
>>32595956
im not a huge fan of how the straps must be pulled around to get to the contents or you have to undo the straps.
>>
>>32595956
I took my malice pack (Alice with the modifications from tactical tailor) through two tours in Iraq.

I certainly would take a non standard Alice if I could, like the new gen malice packs that have better, custom, new frames, but my gen1 is still my go to pack.
>>
File: post-5-1211212104.jpg (61KB, 762x442px) Image search: [Google]
post-5-1211212104.jpg
61KB, 762x442px
I'm getting a 1968 tropical rucksack in the mail soon. It's like an early version of the Alice pack. I'm a big fan of the quick release shoulder straps.
>>
>>32596039
How do you buy one? Like do they just come like the OP picture?
>>
>>32597218
Ebay and surplus sites mostly, you can also find people selling them in forums.
Some come like OP's but many are sold separate from the metal frame.
>>
>>32596506
Lol, no your not. Your buying a regular alice with some mods, unless it is that base two-prong quick pull shoulder tab.
>>
>>32595956
I'm luckily one of those people whose frame fits the Alice perfectly so I loved it. I was issued Alice in bootcamp, Molle when I first hit the fleet, and ILBE since the mid 2000s. Alice is GOAT, others are shit and heavy. Avoid the reproduction Alice you see on Amazon or where ever else. They are worse than shit.
>>
>>32595956
should still be fine. as long as they're kept well.

I have a Czech m60 rucksack. brilliant bag
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.