[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What sort of equipment did city guards often carry besides a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: map of entire internet.jpg (421KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
map of entire internet.jpg
421KB, 2048x1536px
What sort of equipment did city guards often carry besides a sword/club in the 17th/early 18th century? I'm building a D&D 5e character and I want a semi-realistic background for him.
>>
>>32586115
Possibly a bullseye lantern, and maybe a bell? You could do an hourglass, too. Have him ding the bell every half hour and announce that all's well.

If your PCs take out the watchman, roll against a probability that an insomniac citizen will wonder why the bell didn't ring.
>>
>>32586251
Thanks, any sort of obscure weapons or peacekeeping equipment?
>>
>>32586251
roll for the insomniac citizen really being a werebear who needs the bell ring every half hour or he transforms and kills everyone ending this stupid fucking thread and causing OP to have an aneurism so he dies a painful fucking death for being a huge nerd for talking about something that in truth i actually like but i'm afraid to admit because i was raised in a household where acting like a white kid was frowned upon and thats sad because alot of my friends were like this and became drug addicts but its ok because they have welfare even though i'm not ok with the welfare state they are my friends so what am i supposed to do?
>>
>>32586399
Conversation skills and a general ability to defuse situations. Most of his job would have been handling drunks (both the boisterous kind and the unconscious kind) and handling people upset about domestic stuff.
>>
>>32586415
>roll for the insomniac citizen really being a werebear who needs the bell ring every half hour or he transforms and kills everyone ending this stupid fucking thread and causing OP to have an aneurism so he dies a painful fucking death for being a huge nerd for talking about something that in truth i actually like but i'm afraid to admit because i was raised in a household where acting like a white kid was frowned upon and thats sad because alot of my friends were like this and became drug addicts but its ok because they have welfare even though i'm not ok with the welfare state they are my friends so what am i supposed to do?
Play DnD?
>>
A bribe pouch
>>
knife?

pistol if they had money (remember you had to buy their own kit back then)
>>32586251
Maybe a turnkey to prove they are making their rounds?
>>
>>32586399
Dunno. How about a 5% chance that the watchman is a low level spellcaster/druid type with a sleep spell.

Otherwise, maybe a small casting net or bolos for catching perps on the run.

If the watchman has been on the job for more than 2 years, pump up his quarterstaff skills.
>>
>>32586115
>What sort of equipment did city guards often carry besides a sword/club in the 17th/early 18th century?
You should try asking on /his/.

Not that this isn't /k/ related but you might get a better answer over there.

Also, you should be specific about where in the world you're talking about, choose London or Paris etc. And be aware that firearms are hundreds of years old by the era you're talking about and several styles have already become obsolete. You might prefer to ask about 10th century London or something.
>>
I have learned more about /k/ in this thread than anything else
>>
File: almain rivet.jpg (34KB, 403x456px) Image search: [Google]
almain rivet.jpg
34KB, 403x456px
>>32586115
most likely something like an almain rivet and his primary weapon would be a partisan/halberd/glaive with a sword or long dagger as a backup weapon

an almain rivet was a form of mass produced infantry armor ranging from entirely utilitarian to full maximilian fluting. helmet could be something as simple as a steel cap or a morion/burgonet
>>
File: 1412913412208.jpg (31KB, 600x560px) Image search: [Google]
1412913412208.jpg
31KB, 600x560px
>>32586115
>sword/club
Can't afford a sword, at least not one of decent quality. More likely to carry a polearm of some kind. Reminder that your stereotypical city guard is not the kind you seem in dem RPGs, where their job is to stop you from going on a murder/rampage. They mostly broke up drunken brawls and doing boring police shit. You only whip out the sword when it's time to kill motherfuckers, and organized crime wasn't anywhere near as big in the 17th century

Maybe worn ceremonially for officers?

They did, however, carry these things on occasion which are both badass and terrifying, so there you go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_catcher

Maybe not "standard issue" but it's DnD so who cares.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.