[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mislabeled 8mm Mauser ammo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 12

File: pepe hero.jpg (72KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
pepe hero.jpg
72KB, 709x765px
Alright fellow /k/ommando's, I got my first rifle last week, a1943 K.Kale "Turkish" Mauser. The guy who sold it to me at a gun show gave me 30 rounds with the rifle which chambered and fired fine except for a few rounds which were duds, but it was old ammo so I wasn't too worried. I then went online and looked for some ammo. Now, I'm pretty familiar with buying stuff online, but I wanted to make sure it was the right ammo so I sent the link (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mauser-8x57mm-js-323-bore-non-wwii-dimensions-fmj-170-grain-200-rounds-with-can?a=1757334) to my friend who came with me to the gun show and knows his shit. He said it was the right ammo. Lo and behold, the bolt on the rifle wouldn't close fully when I went to the range today. Some folks at the range told me I could go to a gunsmith and alter the rifle, although that's probably a bad idea. I know I fucked up, but what can I do to not just lose all this value I bought?
>>
>>32584080
OK, I think I follow. You think the ammo you bought isn't really 8mm Mauser? If that's the case, send it back.

Are you sure your gun is 8mm?
>>
>>32584080
It's possibly been rebarreled or simply rechambered. Happened a lot to old Mausers especially in government hands. There's a whole shitload of Mausers converted to fire 308. I'd suggest having a cast made of the chamber to compare its dimensions and ensure you fire the correct cartridge. It's actually pretty important to check. I'd have blown up my grandfather's M1 Carbine if I hadn't realized it was chambered in a 22 wildcat instead of 30 Carbine.
>>
File: ammo.jpg (31KB, 656x874px) Image search: [Google]
ammo.jpg
31KB, 656x874px
>>32584113
Ammo on the left chambered and fired fine, but the ammo on the left is the ammo that won't chamber fully. The ammo on the left is in fact 8mm Mauser ammo.
>>
>>32584080
The ammo you bought will not chamber in most mausers from what I have seen. .323 bore diameter is correct for your mauser, but the cases are too long for the cartridge to chamber.
Romanian, turkish, and yugo surplus, or european commercial ammo will work.
American 8mm mauser is garbage.
>>
>>32584496
SADU should be Romanian, though. But I've only ever gotten SADU 7.62, so I might just be talking out of my fucking ass anyway.

If it is what I think it is, it's Romanian ammo manufactured in 2012, which is odd because that should fit perfect.

You got a micrometer, OP?
>>
>>32584155
Also, KSP. Fucking ace choice.
>>
>>32584578
Thanks broski
>>
File: homoura hero.jpg (40KB, 780x774px) Image search: [Google]
homoura hero.jpg
40KB, 780x774px
>>32584565
It was manufactured in 2013. No I don't have a micrometer, but I'm trying to figure out what I can do. From here it looks like I'll have to
1) swallow the money I spent and deal with it
2) try to get my money back, although that seems unlikely
3) modify the rifle to fire this ammo, which kinda sounds like a bad idea.
>>
>>32584080

I'm confused, wasn't JS ammo the WW2 standard? If so, why does that ammo say non-ww2? And if not, what the hell is JS?
>>
File: Spongeball.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
Spongeball.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>>32584637
I'm just as confused as you are dude.
>>
File: wat 2.jpg (58KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
wat 2.jpg
58KB, 720x720px
>>32584664

Holy shit, I thought JS was the standard and you didn't need to worry about it unless you were shooting pre-WW1 stuff. Now i'm afraid to buy 8mm ever again.
>>
>>32584710
Well don't buy 8mm ammo from Sportsman's Guide.
>>
>>32584743

Yeah I would think it's just a mislabeled ad except even the sample cartridge box it shows is labeled JS, so I'm not really sure how they could fuck that up and ship non-JS ammo when the ammo is clearly marked as JS. It's not like Sportsman's Guide could have swapped out the bullets in the box. I assume the box OP received also said JS. So I'm not sure how it could possibly be non-JS, unless the factory fucked up.
>>
File: ammo case.jpg (35KB, 619x825px) Image search: [Google]
ammo case.jpg
35KB, 619x825px
>>32584765
Here's a picture of the case, if it helps.
>>
>>32584808

Yeah, as far as I can figure that should be JS ammo and your rifle should shoot JS ammo. The questions that remain are why it didn't fit in your rifle, and why that Sportsmans Guide page lists it as "non ww2 dimensions."

All I can suggest if you don't have a micrometer is go to a gun store and find a box of modern production 8mm, probably PPU or Hotshot, and see if those chamber. If they do then the problem is with the Romanian ammo, if not the problem is with the rifle.
>>
File: that_fellow.jpg (99KB, 460x562px) Image search: [Google]
that_fellow.jpg
99KB, 460x562px
>>32584920
Yea, I'm gonna head to a smith tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks for the advice.
>>
File: Joseph.jpg (11KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
Joseph.jpg
11KB, 261x195px
>>32584080
Hope you fix it fast you jew.
>>
OP that romanian stuff is so much hotter than SAAMI loaded 8mm.
Before even trying to chamber it, confirm that your turk mauser is a large ring, long action mauser.
>>
File: cat.jpg (3KB, 125x97px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
3KB, 125x97px
>>32585030
Hey I know this Italian.
>>
I have shot both out of my 1915 Spandau Gew. 98. Works fine
>>
File: Sadu 8mm.jpg (238KB, 817x868px) Image search: [Google]
Sadu 8mm.jpg
238KB, 817x868px
>>32584080
Anon here who loves this stuff to death, I want to let you know it works. You just have to really REALLY not be a bitch with your bolt. The casing necks are just a tad bit too long, and because of the wax laquer you really have to close the bolt on it.

My Zastava M98/48 takes a lot of effort to close on it, but my brother's Turkish Mauser eats it right up with no problems.

Good luck anon, and hope this helps, it shoots just fine once you close the bolt.
>>
>>32584637
>>32584664
>>32584710
It's because this stuff is romanian, and the neck is a little longer than the ww2 spec
>>
File: oh_man.jpg (16KB, 184x240px) Image search: [Google]
oh_man.jpg
16KB, 184x240px
>>32586384
Are you sure about that? I don't wanna screw up my bolt or damage any innerworkings
>>
>>32586421
Yes, positive. Mauser actions are built really tough, and I would have found out the hard way by now if it didn't work. Trust me, it takes a bit to get it closed though.
>>
>>32586450
Yea I managed to lock the bolt down once, but it really took a bit of effort and it freaked me out a bit.
>>
>>32586460
It should go fine as long as your gun is chambered for 8mm. Now as for that, I can't assure you. But this ammo works, and it works great.
>>
>>32584637
>>32584664
>>32584710
>>32584765
It's machine-gun ammo, you can fire it from regular bolt rifles but it's not recommended - it's hotter.
>>
>>32586494
Is it any less accurate?
>>
>>32586421

Someone hand this man a mosin so he can learn the ways
>>
>>32586502
No, just the same or slightly better.
It's stock from a military contract that fell trough and has ended up on the civilian market instead of being destroyed.
>>
File: El Trumpo.jpg (54KB, 750x426px) Image search: [Google]
El Trumpo.jpg
54KB, 750x426px
>>32586525
Yea I'm not super familiar with guns, but being an engineering student makes you cautious around forcing mechanisms shut like that.
>>
>>32586553
The forces in that are nothing compared with the forces generated when you fire that cartridge, stop worrying for nothing.
>>
>>32586460
It's not your rifle, its the ammo - not manufactured to proper headspace. If your bolt closes on it, its safe to shoot, but rifles with tight headspace will have a hard time closing or not close at all. Beating the bolt closed on a couple hundred rounds may not be the best idea.

Its too bad more people arent into reloading, you could break it down into components and even take the decapping rod out of your sizing die and bump the shoulders down to get a firing out of those primers/cases.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.