[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /k/omrades, If SHTF would you rather have a red dot sight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1461916973945.jpg (569KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1461916973945.jpg
569KB, 1920x1080px
Dear /k/omrades,

If SHTF would you rather have a red dot sight or a 1-4x scope? Explain your answer.
>>
Depends entirely on rifle.
If we are going smaller size and caliber, red dot
If we are going bigger, 1-4x
The biggest? 1-9x
>>
Aimpoint Red Dot.

It's very reliable and I'll probably die of infection before the battery dies. Plus, i imagine most engagements will be within 300 meters or so. A red dot is suitable for that.

Every 1-4 I've handled has been heavier than shit and kind of awkward to look through at 1x.
>>
>>32583595

>Every 1-4 I've handled has been heavier than shit and kind of awkward to look through at 1x.
Even the good ones?
>>
>>32583562
why not both? EOTech 552 + EOTech Magnifier.
No you can switch whenever you need
>>
red dots are trash past 50 yards at any situation that isnt shooting static white targets at a range. you need magnification.
>>
Magnification is a no-brainer. Weather or not you can shoot it, being able to see and identify things at range is important.
>>
File: tumblr_o7u9u5sIKe1sctutso1_1280.jpg (71KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7u9u5sIKe1sctutso1_1280.jpg
71KB, 960x640px
>>32583562

Where I live there's hills everywhere and you can't see for shit so I would run my AK with iron sights because ULTIMATE RELIABILITITTY

But I do have a 16inch AR15 with a 3-9x scope that can light up but doesn't need a battery to see the crosshair, I'd run that if I live somewhere flatter or planned on tryna camp on top of a hill or someshit.

I also have a 7.5inch AR pistol with one of those Bushnell mini red dots, I'd use that mother fucker as a truck gun or if I had to do big nig stuff like clear a building.

IMO SHTF plans should involve items that are reliable and don't need a constant supply or consumables (like batteries) to operate, rather than what items would be high-speed-low-drag-zombieslayer in a person vs person situation.
>>
>>32584274
>anything EoTech
It's like you really want to to use just your front sights.
>>
Magnification is incredibly important for actual real world shooting, and a 1-4 or 1-6 at 1x is almost as fast as a dot.

Dots belong on cqb guns and nothing else, anyone who says otherwise never goes outside with their rifle.
>>
1-4x. I don't have 20/20 vision and glasses are not prefect, I want to see who/what I'm shooting with clarity.
>>
>>32583562
Maybe the one that doesn't take batteries that are hard enough to find with society existing.
>>
>>32583810
Not the same poster. I have a vortex 1-6x. I like it, but I would prefer a 1x optic (prism, because I have astigmatism). But that's also because I live in an urban area, and I only have to consider ranges of 20ft if someone breaks into my home.
>>
irons with tritium
>>
>>32583562
ACOG
>>
Scope

It lets me see and shoot at far shit
it doesn't need batteries
could be more rugged than the red dot
>>
Can you guys recommend me a magnified optic with an ACSS reticle, or similar? No ACOG too poor, budget is around $400-$600 if possible.
>>
Anyone here still? Thread dead?
>>
If you live in a heavily forested/urban area where you are unlikely to need to identify things at a long range, a red dot is fine.
If you live innadesert like I do, magnification is nice to pick up things in the scrub at long ranges. I can go out in the desert and see for miles and miles on top of a hill or mountain.

Personally, with tiny, durable red dots like T1s and RMRs around, I get both. I use a RMR/ACOG and I'm going to be picking up a 2.5-10x32 and RMR soon. It's nice to have actual 1x red dot speed with the versatility of magnification.
>>
>>32589071
>Can you guys recommend me a magnified optic with an ACSS reticle, or similar? No ACOG too poor, budget is around $400-$600 if possible.

The vortex strike eagle is good, not the same recital.
>>
>>32592921
Fuck I meant Vortex Viper PST 1-4, the strike eagle is their chink shit scope.

The Viper 1-4 is made in the Philippines.
>>
File: universal_mount_mpr45_c.jpg (26KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
universal_mount_mpr45_c.jpg
26KB, 500x275px
I would rather have a leupold 9x40 mm scope with a canted rail that would carry a small reflex sight.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.