[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Optics for dummies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

Alright /k/ so my mom got me a monstrum tactical scope for Christmas. Decent enough scope for the price mostly, except it won't hold zero worth a shit. Comes loose and wiggles in the mount. I've heard about people putting loctite on their screws to keep them steady; any truth to that, and will it fuck anything up? Also how would I do that exactly, just throw some on the end of the threaded part of the screw and screw it in?

Also, my brother wants to stick a scope mount on his SKS, one of those ones that you drill and tap the side of the receiver. Anyone know of a cheap optic that will handle the recoil from an SKS, and a mount that's decent? Also any stories of experience with this are welcome
>inb4 cheap chinese shit
It's a beater scope and I got it from momma on Christmas, I just want to see if I can use it to nail some yotes at 150 yards.

Also general optics advice/questions welcome
>>
>>32583161
Just weld it
>>
>>32583161
>Decent enough scope for the price mostly
>except it won't hold zero

Does not compute. Holding zero unless your drop it or something should be the baseline expectation of any optic.

Poorfag delusion at its finest
>>
>>32583244
>MY optic costs more than my rifle!
Yes it's a poorfag scope. But the glass is relatively clear, zoom works, and the reticule is nice woth its light up feature and it hasn't cracked even though I dropped, scraped, and beat the shit out of it on 2 innawoods trips. Other than holding zero, optic is decent enough for plinking/yote hunting use. Just need to know if loctite works to keep the threads secure. Though the eye releif is utter shit I'll admit and the wiggling obviously makes it unusable unless it's fixed
>>32583188
Kek I'd prefer not to permanently attach my optic, I plan on upgrading
>>
>>32583326
Yes blue loctite works. I use it every day on high end consumer goods at work and it holds the rail/scope/irons on my mini 14 fine. Before loctite my irons would jostle loose after a bit. Blue loctite starts to harden in about 10 minutes cures fully in about 24 hours, but can be broken loose with some force to the screw if absolutely necesarry.
>>
>>32583326
>other than holding zero

So it actively impedes your shooting. I'm not saying to buy an optic more expensive than your rifle. There are plenty of budget options that will hold zero. If a scope does not hold zero under normal conditions, it is not a good scope. Period. End of story.
>>
>>32583416
Like this anon said. Blue loctite. Look into vortex optics. Cheap and effective
>>
>>32583326
If its a problem with the clamp, loctite will work fine. If its a problem with the scopes internals, its fucked.
>>
>>32583161
Hey kid, I understand that your mom bought you that optic, and that's unfortunate. For your (or your brother's) next purchase, you should go with a known good, reputable brand. You dont have to spend a lot of money to get a decent scope. In my mind, the best manufacturer for quality at a typically low price point is Primary Arms. This isn't always the case, though. Sometimes better brands go on sale for less. When you (or your brother) plan on buying your next optic, I would suggest checking slickguns dot com every day for a week to find a good deal, if you dont find something good, go with Primary Arms. Nikon, Burris, and Bushnell all have low-price optic lines, but different models can vary widely in quality. Once you find a good deal, do a little research on the optic to make sure its up to snuff.

On to your question about locktite, there are a few common flavors: purple, green, blue, and red. I typed those out in order from weakest to strongest. I would suggest purple locktite. The screws on that optic are probably made of garbage Chinese potmetal, if you use blue or red threadlocker you will probably destroy the head of the screw the next time you attempt to remove it. I use purple threadlocker on my guns, which is milspec, so you should too.
>>
>>32583436
Yeah I was kinda a dick cuz my brother was climbing on me and made me a pissy bitch. The scope is good, it's the mount that is shit. If not then fuck it I'll get a new one
>>
>>32583988
Yeah no doubt gonna get a nikon next time, I just know momma wants to see her son using the scope she bought him when we go coyote hunting. I figure it's good enough for that at least, plus it's a sweet gesture from someone who was completely against my gun hobby a year ago
>>
>>32584156
Yeah, thats nice, good on her.
>>
File: 14839339025581830836261.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
14839339025581830836261.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>32583988
Alright so retard question, is this what I'm looking for?
>>
File: blue.png (104KB, 190x324px) Image search: [Google]
blue.png
104KB, 190x324px
>>32584231
no this
>>
>>32584156
Well that's a nice sentiment. You should get a cheaper gun, toss that scope on it, loctite it on there, and do upgrades on your primary gun. That way you've always got a place for the nice gift your mom got you. But in the meatime, purple loctite will hold it and you can show your mom you're using her thoughtful gift.
>>
>>32584231
that is adhesive not thread lock
>>
Jesus fucking christ just buy a vortex crossfire II and a Nikon mount for it you inbred shit.
>>
Anything less than Primary Arms quality is unfit for use
>>
>>32584231
It's gotta say threadlocker on it. Purple is harder to find, the most common are blue and red. If you really need it right away, go with blue. If you can wait, order some purple from amazon.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
acog and larue
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.