[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Range Soil Decontamination

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 100_4149 Range lead Sept8.jpg (371KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
100_4149 Range lead Sept8.jpg
371KB, 1280x960px
Dear /k/

I am currently helping out our local range, and It's a pretty big one (European standards). My question is:
What kind of method would you recommend to most effectively and cost effectively remove lead from the ground?

The area of soil that has to be cleared is around 50 cubic metres.
>>
The only acceptable remediation method is removing and disposing (as hazmat) of the first 20cm or more of Topsoil, keep removing topsoil until the exposed layer is free of contamination, then add non-contaminated backfill, tamp, and repeat.
>>
Get a shovel and start digging. If you process the mess you might be able to sell the sceap lead and copper.

You can't magic it out
>>
>>32581239
why not just leave it? future lead and copper deposit for someone to mine.
>>
>>32581262
Yes, you can: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15717783
>>
If you don't HAVE to get rid of it, but don't want to be walking on it, just put fill on top of it.

Otherwise do this:
>>32581258
To save money, dig it yourself into the cheapest barrels possible and attempt to sell it
>>
>>32581314
Did you even read it yourself? At no point did they magic it or explain their process.

They literally used that entire page to say
>There was lead
>We "soil extraction techniques" (dug it up)
>Washed soil in detergent ans clay
>Now have clean soil and dirty lead clay
>>
I have no idea but make sure you're using proper safety equipment that includes full respirators and bodysuits

Otherwise this is how you get lead poisoning.
>>
If you're not pressed for time, phytoremediations (plant based remediation) can work if the contamination isn't too deep.
My MS thesis was a heavy metal phytoremediation project, and we saw positive results using corn plants.
>>
>>32582134
Are you suggesting we use cornfields in Nebraska as target ranges for A-10s?
>>
hardware cloth, wood, shovel.

The little particles of lead will be impossible to remove without some type of chemical.
>>
>>32582170
Nebraska is bro tier. San Francisco is a better target
>>
>>32582245
San Francisco doesn't have corn, though, just bundles of sticks.
>>
>>32582134
>My MS thesis was a heavy metal phytoremediation project, and we saw positive results using corn plants.
Out of curiosity, did you study cannabis as well? The Ruskies have been using C. Ruderalis to soak up contamination around Chernobyl for years.
>>
>>32582340
Kek
>>
>>32582348
For obvious reasons cannabis wouldn't have been allowed. One of the criteria for selection was a species that was readily available and cheap. Corn and alfalfa were our primary picks.
>>
>>32582460
>For obvious reasons cannabis wouldn't have been allowed.
What obvious reasons? Many universities are allowed to conduct cannabis research and there's ample evidence that cannabis is effective in phytoremediation.
>>
>>32582528
Maybe if it had been a doctoral research project conducted at A&M in cooperation with a state or federal agency we could have sold it. But I attended a smaller university, and shit I had trouble securing the usage of tobacco plans for my concurrent mercury remediation project.
>>
>>32582577
>and shit I had trouble securing the usage of tobacco plans for my concurrent mercury remediation project.
Jesus.
>>
>>32581239
line the entire range with concrete surface. then all you have to do is sweep it up once a week and sell it to fishermen
>>
>>32582245
>San Francisco

He said cornfields. CORNFIELDS.
Not cornholes.

Deaf fuck.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.