[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

inheritance discussion, questions, stories, etc.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: inheritance.jpg (1MB, 1360x904px) Image search: [Google]
inheritance.jpg
1MB, 1360x904px
Hey /k/

I'm going to start out being completely honest: I'm new to your ways. I have no firearms, etc. but met several my biological family in recent years. I have learned I am in line to inherit 3-6 "unregistered" rifles/shotguns. I've only used firearms a few times as a small child in the cubscouts and have no idea about any of the laws, where to go to shoot or learn to shoot, how to find out this information, etc. I was hoping /k/ could help and even share some of their stories of inheriting a firearm with me. I'm asking these questions here because my family would rather outsiders didn't know they had these firearms.
>>
>>32579344
Go to your nearest gun shop and ask them about classes
>>
>>32579344
what country are you in?
>>
>>32579381
I feel like a dunce for not having thought of that. Thank you. Before I ask can I legally take classes with unregistered firearms?

>>32579395
I'm in Wisconsin, USA.
>>
I have inherited a couple shotguns and a Browning Hi Power, but they were all after I had been shooting for several years.

Lookup your state laws at https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/ so see what requirements are for ownership in your state. A handful of state require licensing/registering firearms.

Look for a NRA basic rifle and/or pistol class in your area. These will cover the basics of safety and how to shoot. You'll have an opportunity to hold and shoot a variety of guns.
>>
>>32579403
Firearm registration isn't a thing in free state.
>>
>>32579414
Thank you very much, anon. I like the thought of being able to practice with a variety of different firearms before inheriting others. Of the firearms you inherited which is your favorite and do you have any stories attached the the gun you want to share?

>>32579433
"free" state?
>>
>>32579344
There's only a few states where registration is required. From which state(s) are the guns currently kept? You could have some legal difficulties with places like California, New York, D.C., or others that register some or all guns. Also, the executor of the will should have an overview of gun laws both in originating and destination states and how to transfer them legally (if they're in the will).
>>
>>32579344
Go AND GET THE THE GUNS ASAP. Gun are like blood in the water for greedy people.

My uncle died and his 30 or so guns were suppose to go to me and my brothers. We didnt want to bother the widow so soon immidiatly and after a few months my dad approached her about them. She got upset and changed the subject. By the time i go to ge tthe guns they have been sold off and claimed by the widows children(not my uncles kids). We were only able to get 5 of them.

My great grandfather gave his guns to my father before he died.(my father is his grandson in law, my mother is his grand daughter). His sons were upset but my great grandfather wanted my dad to have them because my dad would actually use them and that was his belief about guns. They are meant to be used not sit in a closet and that they should stay in the family.
>>
>>32579403
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Wisconsin

>>32579451
the opposite of a non-free state, say California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California
>>
>>32579451
Wisconsin is pretty 2a friendly. Free state in that it hasn't been ravaged by coastal democrat policies.

Get what practice you can but when it comes time to inherit the guns there is no paper trail to worry about. There is no registration or anything you need to do, just take possession of them, care for them and enjoy them.
>>
>>32579451
>"free" state?

Not:
>New York
>Massachusetts
>Maryland
>New Jersey
>California

Washington and Colorado are rapidly working their way onto that list.
>>
>>32579488
Thank you, anon.

>>32579476
My father is still alive and is currently enjoying the firearms himself so I won't be taking them all right away. He has mentioned though that he will let me try them all shooting targets, then hunting and part have an early parting with whichever one I kill my first deer, assailiant, burglar, etc. with. I am sorry you lost out on your uncle's guns though and in the event something happens to my father I know where my grandpa's guns are being kept.

>>32579498
Oh. :\ That seems unfortunate. I've never been passionate about firearms but I've never, ever, been anti-gun and have always leaned toward encouraging gun ownership over gun banishment.
>>
>>32579476
To reiterate this anon's point--

Collect the gun(s) so soon as your relative wants to give them up. If they have severe alzheimers or dementia, take possession as soon as possible. Remember that possession is 90% of the law. Having them in your possession means they won't get lost or sold and are effectively out of the reach of the executor and the will. Talk to your relative about their plans if you can.

In the meantime, assuming the relatives are nearby, ask to learn how to shoot with them.
>>
>>32579344
1. dont ask /k/
2. google state laws
3. unless you live in cuckifornia or massachucetts you don't need to register shit.
4. if it's a full auto and you can't find the paper work don't call the cops or atf, and hide the fucker for all eternity.
5. google it.
>>
Ok guys. I've been reading about this more, and I really don't feel comfortable owning guns that aren't registered.

After my father dies, would it be a good idea to take them to a police station or a gun shop to get them in a database? Where would be the best place to go?

Also, two of the rifles are the military hi-capacity kind which aren't really for hunting or sport. I would prefer to just have these destroyed. How would I do that?
>>
>>32579741
This is almost certainly a bait post.
>>
>>32579741
There's zero registration that can be had. Literally no such thing as federal registration or Wisconsin state registration. There's only one federally registered type of weapon and that's covered under the National Firearms Act. Essentially short-barrel rifles and shotguns, machine guns, destructive devices, and "any other weapon" classifications have narrowly defined attributes that subject them to a tax stamp and registration.

Aside from that, if you want to be "on the books", the guns can be transferred through an FFL. The procedure of which is that the current owner or the future executor brings the guns to their gun store, pays for shipping to your gun store, and you go to your gun store, fill out a 4473, pay a fee, and take possession of the guns. At which point, your gun shop has a transfer recorded and permanently stored in their transfers book. If, for example, a crime spree starts with a 9mm handgun, then the local, state, or even federal LEA might call upon you to rule out your connection to the crimes (usually only if all their leads are dead).
>>
>>32579741
>Ok guys. I've been reading about this more, and I really don't feel comfortable owning guns that aren't registered.
>After my father dies, would it be a good idea to take them to a police station or a gun shop to get them in a database? Where would be the best place to go?
>>32580391

>Also, two of the rifles are the military hi-capacity kind which aren't really for hunting or sport. I would prefer to just have these destroyed. How would I do that?
>military type
Are they full automatic? If yes, then they are "military type"

>hi-capacity
30 round magazines are standard in many guns, you know.

>Not good for hunting or sport
>Hunting
Limit magazines or buy hunting legal mags
>Sport
What on earth are you speaking of? How come they cannot be suitable for sporting?

If you don't like them, sell them.
Try selling someone which has 10+ guns already, if you are worrying that you would sell to a criminal. No-one with 10+ guns is going to rob people on the streets, not to mention that they would need your gun to do it.
>>
>>32580702
>Try selling to someone...*
I'm not native speaker, as you might have noticed. Sorry about the text that is hard to read.
>>
>>32580702
Look. I'd rather not argue about this. Hunting rifles are fine, but I'm not going to own an AR-15 like some psycho racist white supremacist.

I'm going to do whatever it takes to make them not exist anymore. I know my father would disagree with my choice, but he's from a generation that harbored a lot of hate, and he doesn't need to know. They will be my property soon, and I'll do what I want. End of discussion.
>>
Sorry for the long delay between replies; I was watching the Packers play the Giants.

>>32579741
Impostor. I have absolutely no desire to hand over my family's guns.

>>32580702
I had originally said they were rifles/shotguns. None of them are automatic and I supposed I should have specified the rifles were long rifles in my original post.

>>32582774
Again, an impostor. I'd have no problem owning an AR-15. None of the rifles I'd be inheriting are an AR-15 though.
>>
>>32579344
all guns in the US are "unregistered"unless you live in commie Cali or NY...
>>
>>32582828
Imposter pls. Stop making me look like some gun nut in order to get the FBI on my trail.

I swear that this guy isn't me.
>>
>>32582919
>>32582828
Wow two imposters in my thread. I bet you're both racists too. Disgusting.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.