[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So ive got a topic to pick some of your brains about. If the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 44

File: xiia.jpg (174KB, 1024x486px) Image search: [Google]
xiia.jpg
174KB, 1024x486px
So ive got a topic to pick some of your brains about.

If the subtypes XIIa and XIIa swords are believed to be from as early as the 12th century, this is still a time where mail and heater shields were still the normal protective equipment.

Were these used in conjuction with some of the first useage of plate (plate gauntlets instead of chain) or were they just used in entire absence of additional armor to cover the weakness of just a sword?

Later, when clothed fully in plate, it makes a separate shield redundant and just using a later two hander sword better in two hands for maneuvering it into the enemy's weak points.

tl;dnr was there a use of technique or other equipment to make the use of the bigger two handed swords more practicable when mail and shield still ruled?

general medieval thread, as well
>>
>>32577182

Why do you think there was an official standard?

And why do you think if there was in fact a standard, that this would be other than mere convenience?

A big guy may have been able to one hand the sword with a shield, or wear mail etc.... Smaller guys may have worn lighter armor or leather or no gloves etc....

Swords have always been a rare thing anyways, always very expensive
>>
File: gladiator.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
gladiator.webm
3MB, 640x360px
Yes, I think there were ways for people to use 2 handed weapons to fight people who would have had a shield and a sword or axe or something. I study KDF and there are ways to use your reach with a longsword to get around peoples defenses, id imagine its similar as to fighting against buckler.

That said I also think that during that time period, unless the mail worn was very well made , that a longsword thrust or even a hefty cut could cut through the mail and take an arm or something.
>>
File: Sir-Ralph-Fitzherbert-effigy-web.jpg (649KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
Sir-Ralph-Fitzherbert-effigy-web.jpg
649KB, 1050x700px
>>32577182
>Were these used in conjuction with some of the first useage of plate (plate gauntlets instead of chain) or were they just used in entire absence of additional armor to cover the weakness of just a sword?

Yes.
>>
File: 1483831906501.webm (2MB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
1483831906501.webm
2MB, 1000x563px
>>32577371
> webm vs webm
who would win?
>>
File: sword1.webm (2MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
sword1.webm
2MB, 720x405px
>>32577433
love that guy, although I think he studies italian over german.

Nevertheless I raise you a sword webm
>>
File: Zornhau-Kohutovic.webm (3MB, 850x479px) Image search: [Google]
Zornhau-Kohutovic.webm
3MB, 850x479px
>>32577476
>love that guy

Ditto. Plan on commissioning a sword from him when I have the dough.

Here's another sword webm.
>>
File: CISH2394.jpg (66KB, 497x497px) Image search: [Google]
CISH2394.jpg
66KB, 497x497px
>>32577519
I'd love to do that as well, I saw some of the stuff he made, looked really professional.

This is what I recently got for actually practicing with steel instead of nylon. Simple and cheap, but totally worth the 230$

I am also out of sword webm's. :(
>>
>>32577433
That fucking ballerina shit is a good way to get yourself killed.

>>32577182
The mail suits that were commonplace in the 12th and 13th centuries (although from the mid 13th on it involved a coat of plates) were far more protective than you might think from Hollywood and shitty documentaries that use shitty mail.

It's pretty clear that the protection provided was adequate for melee combat. Don't forget that two handed axes and stuff were used by people with less armour in previous centuries.

In addition you have to think of various other aspects. For example, having a huge ass sword on horseback, where you'd wield it in one hand, was a thing that was done very commonly throughout history. That's why for example a Napoleonic cavalry sword is typically larger and heavier than an infantry sword.
So therefore the intention might have been to primarily use these swords on horseback. The elongated grip would therefore make sense for dismounted use in two hands, to compensate for the blade's length.

Also consider that these swords were still pretty rare even among knights and whatnot. One handed swords were far more common. It might've also just been to show off, "my sword is bigger than yours" and all. In non-battlefield combat when nobody's in armour and the biggest shield you'll face is a buckler, they'd also do well enough.
>>
>>32577519
He charge Albion price but if you look at his work closely the fittings are just not up to par.
>>
>>32577182
I don't see why not. Two handed swords don't make mail obsolete.

A two handed sword isn't necessarily weaker than sword and board. The shield is good for deflection and binding while a two handed sword can deflect, bind and strike in one movement and has more control.
>>
Before the advance of plate armor, there were 2-handers in form of warriors with big axes, which is common in germanic/nordic countries.
>>
>>32577563
I think that particular balerina stuff is a good arm workout, on top of that there is a particular move he does there that looks like hes mimicking a head parry. So perhaps it isn't that useless.

I cite the ribbon cut as an example.
>>
>>32577623

No, it's really just for show and an arm workout.

Something like that with a greatsword would be effective at keeping opponents at bay when surrounded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd9y4h4Fp4I
>>
File: 13th c.png (899KB, 771x564px) Image search: [Google]
13th c.png
899KB, 771x564px
heres equipment around the time for a man on crusade. its not perfect but the general idea.

must have sucked to have to walk around, let alone fight, in a black cappa innadesert.
>>
>>32577581
>He charge Albion price but if you look at his work closely the fittings are just not up to par.

You're probably right, but they guy can improve. And I'd wager his wares are decent enough. I always intended to just commission a basic blunt and see how it felt before I thought of something more customized.
>>
>>32577563
horseback angle is a good point.

anybody bought one of those 50ish dollar great helms from amazon? how are they?
>>
>>32577182
It would come down to what the person armed with could afford.
Before the dark ages mail was favored over plates because of the protection and flexibility vs. maintenance.
When it came to the dark ages it was simply rich people able to fit round pegs into a square hole when it came to equipment if they could afford it since they'd just ride by on horse with a lance while pike and shot formations did the dirty work. Mounted calvalry is practically the only people would of been able to afford those kind of arms and their tactics were always hit and run. Notice how they'd lose to people more competent at those tactics like the mongol cavalry archers.
>>
>>32577719
http://www.regenyei.com/en_blunts_order.php

If you want a well made longsword.
>>
>Tfw no time to do hema anymore
I'm sure of my feder could speak it would be yelling at me to go hit people with it
>>
File: 8198662015_7ca951b224_b.jpg (574KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
8198662015_7ca951b224_b.jpg
574KB, 1024x683px
>>32577878
Speaking of which, I wanna get into HEMA but as a professional musician (well, music teacher), getting my fingers injured is kinda bad for my job.

How risky is it for my fingers? How good is glove technology these days?
The ProGauntlet is a fabulous piece of vaporware, but it's just that. Vaporware.

Sword & buckler, specifically I.33 is what interests me the most. I was thinking that doing that would also be less risky than going full longsword with feders.
>>
I have a bare blade, but I'm trying to find someone who can cast/forge affordable guards/pommels. The prices I'm getting quoted from darksword armory are as much as a whole sword.
>>
>>32577744
The cheapest I would EVER go is Get Dressed For Battle's 100 dollar range helmets you can find on Kult of Athena. Usually in 14-16 gauge steel.
>>
>>32578061

Very risky without the right padding on gloves. Practically nonexistant with.

We regular gloves meant for gripping (not garden gloves, you want the padding on the outside not inside). Get some carpet lining, layer on a thick piece of soft leather and sew that on to the top of the glove. If you want to go even further, plate or chain sewn over that. Make sure to have a lot of give and not sew the leather on to the glove flat, you don't want to be straining to keep a grip of the sword because the leather is taut.

It may take a few tries to get the coverage right when holding a sword to protect from strikes, but I guarantee once you've got it down, it'll be better than any shitty kickstarter.
>>
>>32578073
What's the bare blade for? If it's a hanwei tinker there are these
https://printedarmoury.wordpress.com/category/hanwei-tinker-hilt-parts/
>>
File: swordfu2.webm (2MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
swordfu2.webm
2MB, 640x640px
>>32577476
>>32577519
>>32577433
What real skill looks llike!
>>
>>32578150
source me anon
>>
File: IMG_0779.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0779.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>32578061
Here's some photos on how mine is designed, it's good, it could be better, but I don't care about my fingers as much. Something I may regret later.
>>
File: swordfu.webm (1MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
swordfu.webm
1MB, 640x640px
>>32578167
Idk, I just fap to them.
>>
File: IMG_0780.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0780.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>32578258
>>
File: IMG_0781.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0781.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>32578280
>>
File: IMG_0782.jpg (976KB, 3024x2315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0782.jpg
976KB, 3024x2315px
>>32578305
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>32578315
>>
>>32577182
There aren't any surviving treatises for that period, but most of the treatises mention previous masters who would have learned to fight with sword and shield, such as Fiore and Liechtenauer.
>>
>>32578061
Not that risky if you use hard gloves.
>>32578258
>viking sword
>leather gloves
Hello SCA friend, please don't pretend to do HEMA.
>>
File: IMAG0022.jpg (218KB, 1600x958px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0022.jpg
218KB, 1600x958px
>>32578061
This is what hema gloves look like for steel sparring, protection is good, but not 100%. It is a risk if you are a music teacher, albeit not a very big one.
>>
>>32578277
>Zirael
>>
>>32581292

The club here isn't SCA but has minimal requirements for protective gear. They practice kinda HEMA but for the viking era and slightly different techniques due to lack of things like a proper full face mask.
>>
>>32581912
>viking era
>HEMA
choose one and only one.
>no sources, no HEMA!
>>
>>32581969

Actually, the club follows I.33 pretty religiously. I don't know the other books and sources used, but a lot of debates have and do come up about gear and technique being historically accurate to the period.
>>
>>32582052
I.33 is around 1300 AD,3-4 centuries after the vikings and meant for past time fencing for nobles.
>>
>>32582168

I said it was kinda HEMA. I didn't say it was definitely HEMA. You accused the club of not using sources when they do. I don't know the precise sources because I don't give a shit. You just want to argue.

The gauntlet I posted will work perfectly fine for HEMA, despite looking rather crude for it. The viking sword is to show off the coverage of the gauntlet while holding a sword.

In fact, I'd be skeptical of >>32581343 due to its padding and the segment of exposure between the fingers.
>>
>>32582168
>past time fencing for nobles
Fuck off
>>
>>32582317
>a monk
>a girl
>a noble young man
Doesn't look like battlefield combat.
>>
File: zireal.jpg (563KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
zireal.jpg
563KB, 1920x1080px
>>32581397
Sup
>>
>>32582357
>What is unarmored fighting
>>
>>32582357
It's self-defence
You know
That thing that exists
>>
>>32582357

I.33 is for self defense. It can be applied to pretty much all single handed sword use throughout the ages and possibly to a lesser extent two handed swords. It is a distillation of the methods used in sword combat.

Battlefield combat is going to be using group coordination and formations where individually I.33 can be applied, but what matters is how the unit performs. That changes through the ages as the tactics of warfare changes. That's not HEMA either.
>>
>>32582406
>>32582412
Check the manual again, it is past time for rich kids. Unarmored fighting is dirty as fuck, kicks to the groin and stuff included.
>>
>>32582431
>Go to kick their groin
>They cut your leg to the bone

Why would you kick their groin when you can cut their arm off? That's what self defense with sword&buckler is like
>>
>>32577371
story to webm?
>>
>>32577476
Who is that?
>>
>>32577182
2 handed swords were useful to take down mounted units from the ground.
in normal combat, a 2 handed sword is like having a rifle in a stampede.
>>
>>32578277
I've watched this several times and I do a similar flourish with my machete to build arm strength, but I do not get how she turns the blade to the outside of her arm around the 2 second mark. I rotate the hilt around my thumb pretty easily, but when I bring it around my body again the blade is pointing far away from me, not nearly skinning my elbow like what she does. She seems to swing it between her middle and pointer fingers, which seems incredibly unstable even if you've practiced doing it a lot

Still, I wish I could do it like that.
>>
>>32582530
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s&
>>
File: CsfoMcUXgAQb8ar.jpg (78KB, 680x616px) Image search: [Google]
CsfoMcUXgAQb8ar.jpg
78KB, 680x616px
>>32582681
Thanks anon
>>
>>32577182
Just guessing here. The type 7 and 7a sword profiles look like they might be designed to defeat chainmail by means of a stabbing attack. Same kind of thing dirks and poiniards were designed for.

You could still use the edge of the sword against unarmored opponents. I would guess that shields came into play to counter the stabbing type attacks.

The introduction of plate over mail armor would have eliminated the necessity of a shield, which could have led to the development of the heavier, 2 handed swords capable of defeating chainmail with the edge, either by crushing or shearing.

Like everything else, it was always about the arms race. As arms improved, armor improved to defeat them. Then new arms were developed to defeat or circumvent the new armor.

Again, like I said, I pulled this all out of my ass.
>>
Anyone have the Tinker Great Sword Of War? It's a XIIIa.
>>
>>32583298
The type 7 and 7a sword profiles

Er. I suggest you go look at roman numerals. XII is 12, not 7.

(I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XIX, XX, XXI, etc. )

Remember, Oakeshott's typology starts with X, as it is continuing from where the Petersen and Wheeler Typologies of saxon and viking swords go to (conveniently, both having their last type being "X")
---

Second, Oakeshott's typology is not Type 12, or 7, or any other number.
it is specifically the roman numerals, Blade type XI, type XVa, Type XIX, and so on.

Crosses in the typology are classified by arabic numerals, and, if you go by the modernised Oakeshott typology published from the work of Aleksic, Johnsson and Elmslie, are described as "style", so Style 7, Style 12, Style 3.

Pommels are described either as types, or in text, as 'forms', with an alphabetical listing: Form H, Form J1, Form T.

if you use "12" for the blade type, it breaks the entire system. use the correct terms, and it can be classified easily.

so, OP's pic is a Type XIIa, Style 1, Form J1 sword.

Its anal, but the terminologies of the typology matter if you're trying to classify the whole thing. Especially if it were a type 12, type 11, type I1 sword. is that a type 11 cross? and so on.
>>
>>32583298
>The introduction of plate over mail armor would have eliminated the necessity of a shield

This is what many people get wrong. A shield wasn't your armour, it wasn't there for protection, it didn't exist because your armour wasn't good enough. That's what footwork was for.

A shield was a weapon of war, it was used to deflect your opponents weapon to open them up for attack. It was meant to bind their weapon arm and keep it out of the way while you turned them into a kebab or pin cushion or smashed their face in, whichever suited your fancy. You didn't hide behind your shield, taking blows until your enemy got tired, you shoved the rim into their face, their body, whatever helped.

Shields didn't go out of fashion because plate provided protection, they started going out of fashion because it was difficult to get that fine movement on a single handed weapon to get into your opponents weak spots of their plate. Two handed swords (or other weapons) provided the advantage of binding, parrying and striking into a single object with one movement. Even then, shields weren't useless. You could still use your single handed weapons with plate and while you didn't have that precision a two handed weapon would give you, a shield could bind them long enough for you to aim for that spot.

Shields are fantastic weapons, which is why you could walk around in cities with a sword on your belt, but not with a shield.
>>
>>32583711
>Roman numerals

Yup. My bad. Got in a hurry.
>>
>>32577702
Mail is actually good for keeping heat down inna desert

>>32584106
Used bucklers and smaller shields instead with plate though
>>
>>32584672

The larger kite shields weren't uncommon with plate either.
>>
>>32584705
kite shields were being abandoned by about 1300.
plate armour appears around 1300.

heater shields evolve from kite shields in the mid to late 12th Century, and continue into the age of plate, in the mid-14th C, but kite shields certainly dont.
>>
>>32584705
Where have you got this idea from?
Shield size decreased from kite shields when plate armour started being introduced

Kite shields are to be frank, pretty unwieldy
Although you did then have pavise shields
>>
>>32584801
Then my terminology is incorrect
>>
>>32582648
It'd less of a workout and more of a "This looks cool in the witcher when ciri does it" thing

Hell that trainer she's using is a copy of Ciri's
>>
>>32582292
You got no idea about HEMA and your gauntlets won't work shit.
>>
>>32584977
Short kite and heater shields predate plate armour by at least a century.
It would make sense to attribute this to increased (mail) armor coverage to the legs, although chances are some just preferred a smaller, lighter shield of that sort in general. After all, those huge things had to be lugged about on campaign and some might have just determined that it wasn't always worth it.
>>
>>32578277
I wanna spunk inside her.
>>
File: jQxukV2.jpg (22KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
jQxukV2.jpg
22KB, 570x760px
>>32582292
>because I don't give a shit.

Oh I'm sorry, I missed the memo about you being too cool for school, and thus above any rebuke when you start spouting ridiculous nonsense. Such as

>In fact, I'd be skeptical of >>32581343 due to its padding and the segment of exposure between the fingers.
>>
>>32587657
Oh yes, quite forgot about that, went from a hauberk to full body
>>
>>32582292
>doesn't know shit
>gives faulty and dangerous advice
>>
>>32577182

Wouldn't fucking matter. We don't have enough artifacts to know what the "common" soldier wore. We just don't. However, if they had a sword, they were pretty well off.

Most people used spears or other polearms. No one, I repeat NO ONE marched into battle with just a sword and shield. If you had a sword, you probably were rich enough to have a horse. If you had a horse, you had a lance. You would go and poke people with your lance. If you got taken off your horse, you were fucked. Full stop. You didn't fight off three guys singlehandedly before your best friend took an arrow for you and you avenged his death. You got poked with a dozen spears and died.

Treatises and manuals and shit were for nobles who wanted to duel and show off. Battlefields were dominated by polearms.
>>
>>32588767
>Treatises and manuals and shit were for nobles who wanted to duel and show off.
Actually they where more for city folks than for nobles.
Also, it was mandatory to own a sword for many people in the medieval, thats why swords, at least low quality ones where inexpensive, thats why pretty everyone and their cat had one. the same cannot be said about horses or fuck expensive body armor.
Now go read a book and stop spouting memes out of your ass.
>>
>>32588767
By the 12-13-14th centuries, swords and even plates are cheap shit due to advance in metallurgy.

Stop goddamn repeating pop culture while thinking you are smart.
>>
>>32588810
>and even plates
No, definitely no, 12th and 13th century knew almost no plate, and in the 14th century it was ridiculously expensive.

>/k/ is just plain shit at /his/
>>
>>32588767
you know fuck all, john snow.

>Wouldn't fucking matter. We don't have enough artifacts to know what the "common" soldier wore.

Just a few hundred thousand manuscripts, the muster rolls of common soldiers which record their entire equipment, and how it varied by region, and a few thousand surviving archaeological examples.

"no evidence", my shiny metal ass.

> However, if they had a sword, they were pretty well off.

In the Saxon era. By the 15th century, swords are being valued at 3, 2, even 1d in inheritances. that's about 1/4 of a peasant's daily wage. In fact, to be a citizen of many of the german cities, ownership of a sword was considered a civic duty.A requirement.
>>
>>32588839
>Just a few hundred thousand manuscripts, the muster rolls of common soldiers which record their entire equipment, and how it varied by region, and a few thousand surviving archaeological examples.

But that evidence doesn't paint the picture he wants to see, so it doesn't count.
>>
>>32588828
>/k/ is just plain shit at /his/
Why is that so? Is all of /k/ uneducated hicks or underage amerifats? Or does a gun board just draw attention form the below IQ100 community?
>>
>>32588794
Most medieval infantry from about the 13th century onward did indeed carry swords. English longbowmen were required to have one, generally you could count on every professional infantryman to carry a sword.
They were the principle sidearm of the time. The term sidearm is a bit misleading as it primarily is associated with officers as a symbol of rank, while swords in the medieval period played a far more pragmatic role as primary weapons were usually pretty specialized and required a general purpose backup.

You could think of a sword the medieval equivalent to a carbine carried by an AT specialist.
>>
File: 5362e68b249814702301020d943ec85d.jpg (474KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
5362e68b249814702301020d943ec85d.jpg
474KB, 2592x1944px
Does km post on /k/ anymore? He's easily the best tripfag on /k/.
>>
>>32588904
>You could think of a sword the medieval equivalent to a carbine carried by an AT specialist.
Thats a stupid analogy for stupid people. Pretty much anyone had swords back then, and thinking battles where large organized armies vs each others is equally stupid, small war, feuds and just the local brawl where way more common back then than full out war.
>>
>>32588938
I see him every now and then, but you can't be everywhere all the time
>>
>>32588938
No, he converted to Islam and is currently doing God's work in Syria.
>>
>>32588950
Even those smaller 'brawls' and whatnot usually involved professional soldiers, often mercenaries. They were still rather organized affairs.
>>
>>32577314
>Swords have always been a rare thing anyways, always very expensive
You're on-point more-or-less until right about here.
Depending on when you're talking about, swords are either the super-expensive mark of the nobility or something that every man is expected (or even legally obligated) to carry regardless of social station.

Cheap swords were totally a thing, particularly in the later centuries of the middle ages
>>
File: 1458459598741.gif (1MB, 268x274px) Image search: [Google]
1458459598741.gif
1MB, 268x274px
>>32577770
>dark ages
>pike and shot formations
What did he mean by this
>>
>>32587946

What has citing resources and a percieved issue with the gauntlets effectiveness in coverage have anything to do with each other?
>>
>>32589708
Because the gauntlets have been tested over and over again and they do work. We had a great many hand injuries before we got good gear in HEMA, mostly because of trash gloves like >>32578258
>>32578280
>>32578305
>>32578315
>>32578372
Now that wanker does not only propagate unsafe gear, no he also disses safe gear. That and his Viking LARP dancing will trigger people.
>>
>>32590485

The HEMA gear suggested looks like it has insufficiant padding around the wrist (and possibly overall), has a gap between the ring and middle finger that can allow a sword to easily pass through and break a knuckle.

The shitty viking glove has uniform coverage and good padding of the whole hand, the wrist and upper up.

All you've got is personal attacks and "works for me" instead of addressing the problems I've proposed and any criticism of the functionality of my crude gauntlets. If you want to throw out accusations of unsafe gear, you may want to work on those things.
>>
File: swoord.jpg (71KB, 743x557px) Image search: [Google]
swoord.jpg
71KB, 743x557px
lads kind of unrelated to the thread buy does anyone know where to buy a historically accurate dark ages era sword? whether it's migration period or "Viking", i don't really care. the issue with all the swords i see is that the handles are too long. a proper Germanic Dark ages sword is supposed to be fitting in your hand, so your hand completely covers the handle and there is no space left over. so does anyone know where to get one with a proper handle?
>>
>>32590906
>the handles are too long. a proper Germanic Dark ages sword is supposed to be fitting in your hand, so your hand completely covers the handle and there is no space left over

With the design of that sword, a form fitting handle is impractical (everybody has different sized hands, wearing gloves or gauntlets increases the amount of space needed) and painful (the crossguard and pommel is going to dig into or at least scrape along your hand when you swing).

Other than that, hanwei and kultofathena are the ones off the top of my head. Kult of Athena has a broad range of wildly varying quality, though, so you'll need to bring up some reviews on anything that catches your eye. Otherwise, you're probably going to need to commission a blacksmith. If you find a good one, you'll be able to get something custom to your specs most likely.
>>
>>32590906
Albion
>>
>>32591035 here

>>32591039
this

I don't know why I forgot about albion.
>>
File: sword.jpg (56KB, 650x518px) Image search: [Google]
sword.jpg
56KB, 650x518px
>>32591035
thanks mane. the only one i found that looked good was the cawood sword from hanwei, i'll try looking more.
>>
>>32591035
The tight handle is a thing that appeared multiple times across history. I know that Talwars had them too. From what I understand it encourages you to hold the sword in a specific way.
It also has nothing to do with hand size. Grips became longer as part of the evolution towards the arming sword.
>>
>>32590846
You stupid faggot fucker!
That gauntlet is highly tested, by hundreds of practitioners and is permitted for every tournament including steel longsword. the wrists are armored with hard plastic rings. The lobster glove design proved to efficient and will reliably protect hands.

Your padded glove is not permitted for any tournament at all, not even synthetics, because padded gloves don't work for HEMA, you end up with broken fingers and knuckles. That also has been tested.
Now please stop giving gear recommendations for stuff you obviously have not the slightest idea about!
>>
File: 1250595521848.png (111KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1250595521848.png
111KB, 247x248px
>>32591279
>You stupid faggot fucker!
>>
>>32591279

Because I think misinformation should be addressed, looking at hema alliance's safety policy for tournament permitted gloves:

>Sturdy gloves or gauntlets must be used to protect the hands and wrists. Gloves must include protection on the sides and tips of the fingers sufficient to resist hard strikes from steel or synthetic weapons. An unsupplemented lacrosse glove is not sufficient. Steel Gauntlets need additional interior padding of some sort.

against your
>because padded gloves don't work for HEMA

I criticized your glove design for not having sufficient padding, looks like you think you're right so hard that you'll cuss somebody out being skeptical.

I suggested my glove design for HEMA should have plate put on it before I even posted the pictures and admitted they could be better designed. I also pointed out that I don't care too much for hand injuries personally, but for somebody whose lively hood depends on an intact hand should put some thought and practice into a glove and they'll be fine.

You're right, mine are crude, could use improvement (as I suggested), and I didn't suggest to follow it exactly, more as an example of how the padding should cover. But yours, while fancy, look like they need a complete overhaul. If you're so unwilling to accept this and end up in a fit of rage, you should fuck off.

This discussion is about how to best approach >>32578061 's needs on hand protection. It doesn't need personal attacks and egos.
>>
>>32591786
Again, padding doesn't work for steel sparring. That is why hard gloves are mandatory.
A Feder will munch your fingers, break your knuckles or even break your wrist. Thats why all HEMA gloves, be it SPES, Sparring Gloves, Konig Gloves, Black Fencer and whoever else makes gear for HEMA uses hard gloves. Red Dragon is the weakest recommended glove, that is a padded Lacrosse glove with added hard protectors, recommended for synthetics.
Now your padded glove is something that HEMA used 10-15 years ago and faded out of use because simply not sufficient.
>be smart, buy good gloves
>>
>>32591940
This

The hands are a heavily targeted area. Spend the extra cash on some excellent gloves for them and you won't regret it
>>
File: AlbionTalhofferDNB1152.jpg (379KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
AlbionTalhofferDNB1152.jpg
379KB, 1152x864px
I need help.

I want a one-handed sword with room on the grip to hold with two hands, not too long that it's unwieldy as the hand-and-a-half's are at 42"+ demanding two hands, but also thick enough I can bash something with the blade. Preferably a long fuller. I'm looking at the different arming and broadswords, but I really don't know what I should commit to for the money. Recommendations?
>>
>>32591940

You're not even reading what I'm writing, are you? I didn't say my gloves are fine as is, but I also pointed out padding is necessary from https://www.hemaalliance.com/safety-policy/

I'm not saying padding gloves or hard gloves. I'm saying, have been saying this whole time (and the tournament requirements back this up), hard gloves with padding.

My gloves have appropriate coverage for a hema tournament, but not appropriate covering. Because I don't quite do hema with them, I don't care enough about my own injuries but the poster I was addressing does.
>>
>>32577371
I need the sauce.
>>
File: lobster-gloves.jpg.png (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
lobster-gloves.jpg.png
2MB, 2000x2000px
>>32592029
Padding in this case does not mean soft material but is provided by hard shell and maybe a normal leather glove beneath the hard shell.
standard is leather or other gloves under the heavy shells. Those provide with enough padding as they use a material similar to shoe soles and leather. Thats what pretty much everyone in hema uses for the heavy disciplines like longsword. lighter gloves like modified lacrosse gloves are used for lighter weapons.

Form your posts I understand that you never did any form of organized HEMA and never even saw a real HEMA glove. Please do not advise on matters you do not understand. If you need info, visit us at the HEMA thread over on >>>/asp/
>>
>>32591940
I've been using Red Dragon gloves for two years now and they're shit. Have about ten people in my club who also used them and who have come to the same conclusion.

We got them because they were cheap, but it was honestly a poor choice.

For steel sparring they offer completely insufficient protection, and they fall apart really quickly, too.
>>
File: ar7004.jpg (145KB, 1300x620px) Image search: [Google]
ar7004.jpg
145KB, 1300x620px
>>32592097
Yes, but they got good dexterity and offer enough protection of you use weapons with complex guards (Polish sabers excluded). Also they work with synthetics and are cheap.
But yes, don't use them for the heavy weapons, thats not what they are made for.
>>
>>32592090

Even with the extra protection from layers of leather or synthetics, you still need soft padding between that and your hand to diffuse the kinetic energy hitting the shell from a steel weapon. Without that soft padding, it won't be the sword that breaks your fingers, but the glove itself.

Just because I do not do organised forms of HEMA and the gloves I use are sufficient for what our club does (light sparring, sometimes slow HEMA drills), does not mean I do not understand the requirements of protection for the hands.
>>
>>32591979
What's your price range?
>>
>>32591979
Why not the Tinker bastard sword? It totals like 42" and weighs a little under 2.5 pounds. It's only about $230, which is affordable for a good functional sword.
>>
File: 1453061846918.jpg (102KB, 680x966px) Image search: [Google]
1453061846918.jpg
102KB, 680x966px
>>32593043
>that damage control tho
>>
>>32591979
Albion crecy
>>
>>32593426

I haven't changed my stance in this discussion, been keeping a level head about it and aiming towards the goal of providing the most appropriate gear and you call me out on damage control?
>>
File: AF HEMA Deluxe Gloves Main .jpg (399KB, 800x613px) Image search: [Google]
AF HEMA Deluxe Gloves Main .jpg
399KB, 800x613px
>>32593925
Autist or sperglord would be more correct since you are aiming towards the goal of providing the most inappropriate gear. And even you have been corrected nummerous times by people who apparently know much more about HEMA you remain adamant at pushing your padded gloves.
>your gloves are not suitable for HEMA
>get over it
>>
Is the hanwei winged spear head good, or should I just get a cold steel boar spear?
>>
>>32594085
>Still not reading the content of my posts
>>
>>32592152
GET OUT OF HERE SMART PERSON WHO REALIZED IN TIME THEY WEREN'T SUITED FOR STEEL LONGSWORD SPARRING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
What are some targets I can use indoors for cutting practice?
Water bottles are a no, tatami is both too expensive and too messy.
Also
Could you recommend some sort of target to use as a workout for blunt blades, something I can set up, hit with a sword for an hour while practicing basic cuts. I don't have the time to go out to a local hema group anymore so I rarely get to do this stuff
>>
>>32597466
> Cutting
Pool noodles are cheap and easy to clean up. No resistance though.

> Workout target
Get a big piece of soft wood, and expect to replace it regularly.
>>
File: hit.jpg (30KB, 400x427px) Image search: [Google]
hit.jpg
30KB, 400x427px
>>32597466
cut thick pool noodles
practice on pic related with blunt sword
>>
>>32597504
>>32597528
Looks like pool noodles for cutting it is
>No resistance
I always hear that they're a pain in the ass to cut well because any edge alignment that isn't perfect just makes them flop around.
>>
>>32597614
Well, yeah.

If your edge alignment and cut are good, you'll cut through them just fine - so in that sense they're good for practise; you can tell when you're doing well. But if you do it wrong, they'll flop or rip.
>>
File: badgloves.jpg (96KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
badgloves.jpg
96KB, 640x480px
>>32597454
>implying I realized it in time
>implying I didn't payed the full price of the learning experience
>implying I'm smart
>>
>>32597332
Your autism is showing pretty hard.
>>
File: 1484015423638.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1484015423638.webm
3MB, 800x450px
please rate my form.
>>
File: s01e04-samwell.jpg (32KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
s01e04-samwell.jpg
32KB, 400x225px
>>32599296
LARP/10 tier
>>
>>32599296
10/10
>>
>>32599296

I'm not sure which I should feel more badly about. My being fat or my dressing similarly (sans the retarded-ass black coat).

At least I'm not AS fat, I guess.
>>
>>32599296
>The sword and the 25 stone
>>
File: piergerlofsdonia__3_.jpg (55KB, 651x894px) Image search: [Google]
piergerlofsdonia__3_.jpg
55KB, 651x894px
>>32577182
Going to be having a sword forged, can't decide between 9260 or T10 for steel.
Any recommendations or suggestions? Total length will be about 140cm, maybe a couple cm longer.
>>
File: laughingwhores.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
laughingwhores.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>32601454
>asking serious sword questions on /k/
>>
>>32601545
This, but only because /k/ doesn't know shit and won't admit it.
>>
File: Mammen_Axe.jpg (25KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
Mammen_Axe.jpg
25KB, 500x376px
>>32601545
>>32602034
fug
>>
>>32582382
Best girl in gaming.
>>
>>32601454
>9260
better if its mono tempered
>t10
better if diferentially hardened
>>
>>32597466
>cutting practice
That would be "test cutting". Clay seems a good choice, don't know how much a large enough chunk costs, but I figure it will last pretty long.
>>
Does anyone have any good reading/visual material to start off with for those that are interested/new to HEMA?

The only club in my town is run out of a warehouse garage by four self-taught enthusiasts, and not that I doubt their sincerity, I might want to train on my own as well.
>>
>>32599296
So Jon Snow decided to rob the Ohers from their victory by eating all the people?
>>
>>32602311
>>>/asp/2096419
>>
>>32602311
Join those four.

You'll learn more sparring with idiots than you ever will practising on your own.
>>
>>32602327
Thanks!
>>
File: IMG_0213.jpg (52KB, 600x632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0213.jpg
52KB, 600x632px
>>32587946
>that pic
>>
>>32602365
I'm assuming its from some accident, and not because some idiot decided to use meme cloth gloves in a fucking sword fight.

It does remind me a lot of the ridiculous armor in Game of Thrones, though. Someone needs to tell Hollywood that only poor peasant fighters wore leather as a primary defense.
>>
File: 145834614416745.jpg (15KB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
145834614416745.jpg
15KB, 250x272px
>>32583298
>2 handed swords capable of defeating chainmail with the edge, either by crushing or shearing.
>>
File: Cod.icon._394a_13r.jpg (354KB, 1387x976px) Image search: [Google]
Cod.icon._394a_13r.jpg
354KB, 1387x976px
>>32602421
>It does remind me a lot of the ridiculous armor in Game of Thrones, though. Someone needs to tell Hollywood that only poor peasant fighters wore leather as a primary defense.

Sure but a. making believable plate armour props is almost as difficult and costly as making real armour because basically you'd have to be making real armour. and then there is viewer bias and taste. showing real medieval clothes would probably be very offputting to a lot of viewes, pic related is how you dressed in 1450yish
>>
>>32584106
You concentrate too much on melee. To get into melee range warrior needs to survive ranged weapons first.

>That's what footwork was for.
Footwork is for duels not formation fight.
>>
>>32602421
>Someone needs to tell Hollywood that only poor peasant fighters wore leather as a primary defense.

Congratulations on being someone whose knowledge of arms and armor comes from fantasy games/novels rather than reality.

While rawhide was not especially difficult to obtain, actual leather was expensive in medieval Europe. There were a number of reasons for this, the chief among them being that 1.) society was nowhere near as productive or abundant as it is today (fewer cows) and that 2.) pre-modern processes for turning hides into leather were incredibly time-consuming as unbelievably disgusting.

What does this mean with respect to leather armor? It means that the notion that "poor peasant fighters wore leather as a primary defense" is fiction. The only people who used leather armor with any regularity were nobles, and they only typically used it in tournaments in conjunction with blunted/whalebone weapons. When cows are precious and an average cowhide only yields enough material for 2 cuirasses, who the hell is going to slaughter hundreds of cows in order to make armor for peasant levies?

There's also the issue that leather armor is less convenient and not as protective as a gambeson despite the fact that gambesons are vastly cheaper to make, but that's a different matter from the logistical impossibility of the ubiquity of leather armor in Dungeons and Dragons and everything derived from it.
>>
File: for free.jpg (30KB, 508x512px) Image search: [Google]
for free.jpg
30KB, 508x512px
>>32602846
Thread posts: 149
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.