[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Army Reserves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 145x_2013-024_1339g.jpg (646KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
145x_2013-024_1339g.jpg
646KB, 960x640px
Is it worth joining the British Army reserves?

I've read up on it a bit and what I've seen seems alright, but I'd like to know exactly what it would be like.

Anybody had experience in the reserves, and what was it like?
>>
bit late to be asking this laddo

But have a search around: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/forums/
>>
>>32571847
If you want to be the butt of all the regular s jokes then be my guest.
>>
>>32571861
Thanks for the link, and why is it late to be asking?

>>32571910
I'm not too bothered by it to be honest.
>>
>>32571910
Everyone likes to take the piss till they're filling in making sure you don't work a weekend.
>>
>>32571937

2 am mate innit
>>
>>32571945
Don't work on weekends, so I'm gud.

>>32571950
Oh you meant time wise. And yeah it's about 2.
>>
>>32572085

desu you won't get many answers now, but lurk around arrse and you'll find a few bits on the reserves
>>
>>32572394
arrse is the most cancerous community on the internet after reddit
>>
>>32572410

yep

but it still contains a lot of meta info, much like 4chan
>>
>>32571847
Depends on what arm, regiment and role youre going for. Its a lot of work and time spent getting to the point where youre just going along to your unit every wednesday and able to take part, and by that time youll probably just want to join as a regular if youre passionate enough to have done selection, your alpha and bravo course. Go for something interesting and ideally with some useful skills, because you dont want it feeling like a chore going along every wednesday and every odd weekend.
>>
I guess I'll rephrase my question.

Does anyone have any personal experience of what it's like in the Reserves?
Or alternatively, have you worked with them and know exactly what they do?

I've gotten most of the info I need about the important stuff, I'd just like to know exactly what I'd be going into.
>>
>>32571847

>that fucking BFA

I thought normal BFA's were pig disgusting.
>>
>>32572486
Im in the process of joining, did my selection a few weeks ago, just going through the RGMD/PEC bollocks now. It really depends on what unit youre looking to join, theres all types of people that go Reserves. Its minimum 20-30ish days a year including 2 week exercise in summer, 55 if youre going SF(R).
>>
>>32571847
>british army

how well versed are you on the Holy Quran, my brother
inshallah
>>
>>32572678
> UK has smaller Muslim population percentage and far higher white population percentage than the USA

Nice try Juan. Back across the border with you.
>>
>>32572463
Honestly I wouldn't mind being standard infantry all too much, but after looking it seems like being an armourer would be decent.

>>32572538
Nice to hear man.
>>
britbongs in the service have you ever used the shorty sa80 or lmg versions?

have youvused both the hi power and glock? which do you prefer?
>>
Too smart for army actually have some merit in third level education = Join TA or reserves.

simple as. Have a real life and do a bit of soldiering, win win.
>>
>>32572748
Yeah much better to go for something you have an interest or passion for to give you the drive to do it. Once you get the process underway it is good though, if anything it makes you just wanna join up as a regular. Armourer would definitely be good and give you some trade skills, while infantry will require you to be in fairly good shape and obviously is a lot more about infantry skills, tabbing, marksmanship etc.

Really depends on what kind of person you are. If youre the outdoorsy type who likes running around in the woods, id go infantry. If youre more technical minded and like building/fixing things and dealing with machinery and the like, go armourer. To be fair though there is likely a role out there for most types of people, its just finding what you adhere to naturally. For example on my selection we had a girl whose dad had been a royal marine for 30 years and she wanted with all her soul to be a ceremonial gunner in the artillery. Really is each to their own, and each corps does very varied and different stuff.
>>
>>32572866
Either that or go into military intelligence, or as an officer. Plenty of smart blokes in the army.
>>
>>32572410
t. butthurt non-bong
>>
>>32572887
Officers are a bit iffy. And that's a very international thing, just because you pass out as a second lieutenant does not make you smart or capable for leading a platoon, that goes double for the British army where nepotism is still rife.
>>
>>32572948
Yeah im aware, obviously the best way to go would be go in as enlisted and work your way up and gain a commission, thus you know the ins and outs, whats bollocks and what isnt, as opposed to a fresh faced young 2nd leftenant who has to lead yet also learn from his sargeants and corporals. Captain Toward at Bovvie is a pretty good example of the former, but a lot of guys with degrees wouldnt necessarily want to add another 10-15+ years of potential career onto the load if they just want to be an officer, so its a hard choice.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.