[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ think of vehicle-mounted recoil-less rifles and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: Ontos - Edited.png (2MB, 1034x1044px) Image search: [Google]
Ontos - Edited.png
2MB, 1034x1044px
What does /k/ think of vehicle-mounted recoil-less rifles and their use? Pic related is my dad on something called Ontos, pretty sure it's declassified by now.
>>
ah, the ontos. 4 106mm rifles right? looks bad arse, but i dont know how it performed.
>>
>>32567638
It's six apparently, you have to look closer
>>
>>32567638
six 106mm recoiless

from what I read they were highly appreciated in hue during tet when the small size could be used well in an urban area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUpl4vf5juA
>>
>>32567657
oh I see. looks even better. does it have a auto loader?
>>
>>32567687
no

it was an ambush vehicle developed for anti tank work

park the small ontos in a hidden spot and wait for a tank to roll by, blow it up with the recoiless rifles and bug out real fast

why doesn't the military make stuff like this anymore

cheap, clever and effective
>>
>>32567725
was it also anitfortifcation? and is it based on a M551?
>>
>>32567725
they do, they're just wire guided now
>>
>>32567761
it wasnt designed for blowing up bunkers, just a quick AT ambush vehicle that could be dropped out of a plane but it was obviously very versatile and they could stick HE or flechette rounds in it for shootin gooks innajungle
>>
>>32567725
Because if theyre gonna buy 100 vehicles either way, 15% Profit on an over engineered 2 million per unti vehicle is more than 25% profit on a simple minimalist $200,000 vehicle with the same mission.

Because the marriage of the DoD, and defense industrial complex combined with the grafty nature of non-wartime defense spending results in a system designed to provide welfare for contractor and votes for senators, not cost effective weapons systems.
>>
>>32567847
I hope Trump guts all intelligence and military branches

they could probably have their budgets cut by 70% and become more effective at the same time

the CIA is actively working against Trump
>>
>>32567725
What this anon said here: >>32567781

Recoilless rifles can still be good, like the Swedish granatgevÃĪr m/48 (which you know as the Carl Gustav) but they are just not on the same level as missiles.
>>
File: Jeep with recoilless rifle.jpg (194KB, 800x484px) Image search: [Google]
Jeep with recoilless rifle.jpg
194KB, 800x484px
I want one.
>>
File: hezbollah_kornet_atgm_atvs.jpg (73KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
hezbollah_kornet_atgm_atvs.jpg
73KB, 720x405px
>>32568650
I'll see your jeep and raise you quads with kornets.
>>
>>32567687
No, the crew had to go outside and manually reload each gun
>>
>>32567725
>why doesn't the military make stuff like this anymore

Because one TOW does the same shit at 4 or 6 times the effective range and takes up 1/6 the space.
>>
>>32570088
>106mm RCLR shell: $500
>TOW missile: $50,000
Spot the difference you dumb cunt
>>
>>32567878
>the CIA is actively working against Trump

Please don't say things like this. People already think individuals who browse weapons forums are crazy, conspiracy theorizing school shooters
>>
>>32571939
Difference in accuracy, maximum firing distance, threat to launcher crew, etc.
>>
>>32571939
>not considering the cost of the vehicle, soldier life and logistic
>>
>>32567878
>the CIA is actively working against Trump
Reality is working against Trump. The politics of the situation force him into a damage control mode.

First he's got to deny that shit happened for as long as possible, then he'll switch to a "well shit happened but it didn't really do anything". Then much later, if he needs to, he'll fall back to a "well shit happened but I didn't ask for it, just goes to show how unpopular she was worldwide" or something like that.

I'm sure that absolutely nobody thinks that Trump called up Putin and asked for some help. But who says no to free votes?

>>32567878
>I hope Trump guts all intelligence and military branches
>they could probably have their budgets cut by 70% and become more effective at the same time
Expecting a republican to gut repressive government branches.
WEW LAD

Welfare will be cut, military spending will be comfy. Military welfare will be complicated.

>>32571939
>>106mm RCLR shell: $500
>>TOW missile: $50,000
The TOW also had the advantage of being 100x the cost.
Due to >>32567847 increased expensive is an ADVANTAGE.
More cost means profit which means more kickbacks, more cushy directorships for retiring generals/senators, more cash being splashed around everywhere.

Also more red state job creation welfare.
>>
>>32568932
I don't think you can top this...
>>
>>32573955
Do you get a government check or does someone drop off your earnings in cold hard quarters?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.