[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mental illness and weapons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

File: 1471128895486.jpg (272KB, 562x535px) Image search: [Google]
1471128895486.jpg
272KB, 562x535px
the Ft. Lauderdale has got me thinking. Is anyone else kinda freaked out about the fact that pretty much anyone with a bunch of guns and training for how to use them effectively could just snap mentally?

I myself sometimes fear that one day I'll just lose my mind and not have control over myself anymore, especially with old age, but I don't really have a history of anything other than anxiety, so it's naturally for me to think about things like this lol, but it's especially concerning for people who've seen combat.

Honestly I could never be a shooting instructor just because of the fact that I'd teaching people I don't know how to use weapons, and who the hell knows what kind of mental baggage they have. I don't fear guns, but I do question the competency and responsibility of the general public, and my years in customer service have instilled that in me.
>>
>>32565824
go away troll before i show you snapping and snap you're neck
>>
SHALL
>>
>>32565979
Never stop
>>
>>32565824
Then turn yourself in and insist you have an issue. It was a massive fuckup by the authorities, some dude literally came to them and said, "I'm a legit crazy person." and they didn't lock him up or take away his guns when he was clearly a threat to others.
>>
ITT: People ignoring a genuinely valid point and autistic tripfags REEEEEEEEEEEEing
>>
File: clinton.gif (657KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
clinton.gif
657KB, 160x120px
>>32565979
>>
>>32566007
No, you're doing it wrong.

You're being a normie. You can't reeeeeee
>>
>>32565824
Are you retarded
>>
>>32566073
>>32565998
I belive in free speech too but that doesn't mean I appreciate CNN stoking racial hatred every fucking day, and that it doesn't sometimes make me want Trump to throw some of these media assholes in the gulag.

Being unnerved at the idea of mental illness combined with weaponry =/= getting rid of the 2nd ammendment.

I'd rather start with trying to curtail mental illness before I would support a single firearm related piece of legislation. Our modern culture seems to breed so fucking much of it. It seems everyone growing up in this generation has this complex that the whole world is against them and that they are completely isolated and alone, and yet EVERYONE feels this way. It's a fucked up thing man.
>>
>/k/ bitching about mental illness
>Threads out the ass about nutcases with guns scare them

>Isn't willing to disarm the largest demographic of mentally ill with the highest rates of child rape and self-mutilation/self-destructive behavior.

Kill the homosexuals before you start bitching about curtailing mental illness.
>>
>>32565998
BE
>>
>>32566238
I called you retarded because you're singling out guns

Anyone with a knife or a hammer or any weighted object could snap. Yet you're not on /ck/ talking about how afraid you are of spatulas.

Fuck off you dumbass nigger
>>
>>32566262
STOLEN
>>
>>32565824
No, because you could be on the bus, and if the person sitting next to you was a crazy with a fist, you would die just the same.
>>
>>32565824
>Is anyone else kinda freaked out
no, because we're typical gun owners. we don't get "freaked out." that makes no sense whatsoever.

if someone snaps, they aren't to blame if you have to shoot them. but, if you have to shoot them, then you just do it. you are the reasonable person in the situation. you have your faculties. if you're suggesting otherwise in your "what-if" scenario, then you are the one getting shot, because this is an armed society. SHALL.

>fear
no you don't. you feel nothing when you think on that. that's called "worry," and it's for women.

>I don't fear guns
oh so you're an idiot, too. healthy fear of a weapon keeps you from negligence. you don't seem to understand the difference between fear and worry. i suspect this is because of the anxiety you speak of. you might be right: perhaps you are not fit to have access to firearms. but if this is so, then you also need a custodian, because you cannot be trusted with bow/arrow, most tools, pens/pencils, utensils, cars, coffee mugs, hard plastic containers, unopened cans of soda, glass bottles, free weights, ropes/chains, ladders, construction lumber, or anything else someone has killed another person with that's recorded in the FBI UCR.

>the general public
i'm sorry but despite the wide variety of things people kill each other with that you can no longer be trusted with, in the aggregate, killing themselves just don't happen that often for normal people to share your unwarranted worries.
>>
>>32566293
NIGGER
>>
>>32566309
FAGGOT
>>
>>32566313

TONGUE
>>
>>32566315

DESU
>>
>>32566238
No, CNN is not stroking racial hatred, they might report things that are dumb or sometimes false but lets not go around throwing people in jail for reporting the news, if you believe that, then you're a fascist. Not to mention incapable of defending your own arguments to the point where someone with a different viewpoint is a threat and needs to be locked up.

Also, just FYI instances of violence are dropping (as they have been for years) and instances of mental illness have gone up because the ability to identify and classify them have come about due to better treatments methods and technology.
>>
>>32566319
MY
>>
Freedom ain't free. If the road to guns is paved with the blood of idiots so be it.
We wouldn't have this problem if a law abiding citizen could carry a handgun there too. Just two deaths - and only one murder.
>>
>>32566006

This is the biggest factor people are overlooking here. The dude told authorities the CIA was using mind control to force him to kill for ISIS...and they didnt do shit about it. Just like the government has done nothing for a multitude of other mass attacks that have occurred.
>>
File: 1479407693649.jpg (388KB, 1500x1064px) Image search: [Google]
1479407693649.jpg
388KB, 1500x1064px
>>32565824
obvious bait is obvious
>>
>>32565824
He wasn't mentally ill, he was just a supporter of Islam.
>>
File: adZ0URt.jpg (366KB, 1024x659px) Image search: [Google]
adZ0URt.jpg
366KB, 1024x659px
>>32566429
religious zeal is a sign of mental defect

or at least it should be

picture unrelated to post content
>>
>>32566325
MACHINES
>>
>>32566340
>>32566006
Fucking these two, yall are ignoring tis point when he literally went to the authorities office and said there's something bothering him. The same damn thing happened in the 60s with Charles Whitman and the authorities did jack shit to address and aid his concerns
>>
>>32566266
>pretending knives are as dangerous as guns

lmao
>>
File: 1449105009505.jpg (1MB, 1500x1064px) Image search: [Google]
1449105009505.jpg
1MB, 1500x1064px
>>32566424
>Posting the fake version
>>
>>32566429
Dude went to the FBI saying he was hearing voices
>>
File: the-turner-diaries.jpg (51KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
the-turner-diaries.jpg
51KB, 600x600px
You sound like a gun control shill. You really want this book to become reality?
>>
File: Commiesbelike.png (292KB, 416x424px) Image search: [Google]
Commiesbelike.png
292KB, 416x424px
OP only liberals do the shit you are talking about. Statistically, liberals are spree shooters.

Whenever this shit happens they always want conservatives to give up their guns when they have a history of responsible gun ownership.
>>
>>32565824
>snap
Go away faggots. We know the grc lingo.
>>
>>32566651
I'm still waiting on the Sam Hyde version..
>>
File: homicidesbyweapon.png (37KB, 939x549px) Image search: [Google]
homicidesbyweapon.png
37KB, 939x549px
>>32566646
>pretending mass shooters kill more people than knives
>>
>>32566751
One guy with a knife trying to go on a killing spree is going to kill way less people than one with a gun.

OP is talking about spree killings, not crime in general
>>
>>32566424
damn I wish that rifle was real. It's sexy
>>
>>32566646
You do realize a terrorist sympathizing truck driver killed more people followed car bombers/bombers in general (who have much easier access to bomb making materials) have killed more people than a mass shooter, right?
>>
>>32565998

MY
>>
>>32566782
Mass stabbings in China and other countries regularly kill more people than shooters do in America

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/world/japan-knife-attack-deaths/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China_(2010%E2%80%9312)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Thane_stabbing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yema_stabbings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kunming_attack

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanping_school_massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_Yanming

But they're not done with evil guns so you don't hear about them
>>
>>32566836
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagamihara_stabbings
>>
>>32566646
>pretending guns are more dangerous than vehicles

If you wanted to snap and kill as many people as you could you wouldn't use a gun. You'd run people down or build a bomb, or both.
>>
>>32566836
>rail station attack
>4 guys
>31 victims
>a single crazy guy enters a night club with a gun
>50 dead

Thanks for proving my point. Knives are nowhere near as effective.
>>
>>32566860
>cherry picking the example with the least amount of deaths
>pretending 50 is a normal number and not the deadliest shooting in American history

you really are something special

>>32566845
killed more by himself than eric and dylan in the columbine high school massacre
>>
>>32566878
>the guy who stabbed old disabled people while they slept killed a bunch

Now who is cherry picking?

Anyone who argues knives are deadlier than guns is retarded or being dishonest for political reasons.
>>
File: 1483505306383.jpg (103KB, 957x717px) Image search: [Google]
1483505306383.jpg
103KB, 957x717px
Mental illness isn't some observable and tangible thing like solar systems, chemical reactions, or mathematical equations in physics.

Psychology isn't a science, and no laws should be based off of it.
>>
>>32566918
>Anyone who argues knives are deadlier than guns is retarded or being dishonest for political reasons.

There was never an argument that knives are deadlier than guns, the argument is that you're retarded for only being afraid of guns

See

>>32565824

>>32566266

>>32566297
>>
>>32566860
>50
>When it was 49 victims and the shooter who got gun down by police who counts as a plus one

>>32566918
Anyone who argue firearms are deadlier than trucks and bombs are retarded or being dishonest for political reasons
>>
>>32566964
Thats why we arm all our soldiers and police with trucks right?
>>
>>32566973
did you just sperg out all over the place and completely forget the context of the conversation is people who snap and suddenly want to massacre people?
>>
>>32566992
It is significantly easier to get and use a gun than it is to get a truck
>>
File: UtI4uo3.png (588KB, 896x629px) Image search: [Google]
UtI4uo3.png
588KB, 896x629px
>>32567013
>>
>>32567013
Fuck off faggot. You clearly don't belong here.
>>
>>32567059
Not an argument
>>
>>32567013
troll
>>
>>32567059
>wahh stop disagreeing in my safe space

Have you tried tumblr or reddit? You can filter out people you dislike there
>>
>>32567106
You need a truck license for a truck. You dont for a gun. How is that trolling?
>>
>>32566260
But most of these "mentally ill" committing violent crimes are veterans; with all kinds of PTSD and usually drug/alcohol abuse.
>>
>>32567013
coming from someone who doesnt own a gun and has never tried to get a gun, it is easy to get a gun
>>
>>32567122
Like that guy who ran down all those people in france? oh wait he stole the truck
>>
>>32567013
As it should be by the 2nd Amendment
The average citizen shouldn't be treated as a criminal you fascist
>>
>>32567134
Stealing things requires more effort and risk than walking into a store and buying a product
>>
>>32567122
You don't need a license to buy a truck, what the fuck are you talking about? You don't even need a license to legally drive on private property
>>
>>32567147
When did I say they should?
>>
>>32567153
Stealing a car is only hard if you care about getting caught, if you're just hopping in one to go run people down you wouldn't care about that.

Seriously, it's fucking easy. Go to a parking lot and when someone opens their door tell them to give you the keys or they die. They give up the keys, you hop in the car and go crash into a crowd.
>>
>>32567163
Your implied that it shouldn't be easier to get a gun over a large truck
>>
My family is profoundly mentally ill, including me honestly. The only thing with more brain problems in fact is the mental healthcare system of the United States.
>hold crazy people in institutions
>said institutions are pretty shitty
>government decides to shut them down and replace with community programs
>they forget the replace part
>county now has zero mental health services for teenagers, who as we all know are emo at the best of times
>parent's home essentially becomes an institution for my brother until random crapshoot of medication hits the jackpot and makes him sane
This is why we keep seeing crazy people shooting up places. There is no incentive to so much as point out what folks are at risk, since they still won't get treatment. In fact the only sure-fire way to get attention is to, I dunno, shoot up an airport. Simply saying "we need to track whackjobs" is insufficient. If we don't actually try to help the deranged of America they will avoid any attempt at diagnosis, since it would make their lives even shittier.
>>
File: fDkBlW9.png (150KB, 600x430px) Image search: [Google]
fDkBlW9.png
150KB, 600x430px
>>32567122
>>
>>32567191
No I didnt.
>>
>arguing for gun control in 2017

I know you're still salty Hillary lost, but come on. It's 2017
>>
File: escher-relativity.jpg (90KB, 544x525px) Image search: [Google]
escher-relativity.jpg
90KB, 544x525px
>could just snap mentally
People rarely "just snap" mentally. When someone is described as having "just snapped" they're referring to their actions. He didn't regularly shoot up airports, so he must've just snapped.

There were probably plenty of indicators that he wasn't doing well mentally, but the problem is, everyone is running around dealing with their own shit, so if the person is not within the group of people you actively check up on (friends, family, etc.), you're going to either miss the indicators, or dismiss them as not your problem, because their friends or family should be doing that job, right?

Well, that's where you run into problems. If the friends or family don't really exist, nobody's checking up on him. If he can't communicate adequately to them (because of anxiety or something else), or if they are dismissive of the indicators ("all boys do that at his age!") people might be checking up on him, but not effectively.

If we all just took the extra step of looking out for maybe two or three people out of the twenty or thirty people we might have regular contact with, but aren't within the group of people we actively care about, then we might stand a better chance redirecting people who are about to go off the rails.

Doesn't have to be much, just chatting with your neighbour who you never seem to see with friends, or having a little small talk with the guy/girl at the store. Maybe if you see someone at work a little sad, offer to go out and buy them a coffee or something, and if directness isn't your thing, say they "looked a little tired" instead of sad, and fuck, you were going to get one yourself anyway.

Basically, offer a few extra people that you don't really give a fuck about a hand up out of a hole they might be in, and see if they'll take it. Who knows, you might be looking at things from the perspective of an Escher drawing and realise later they're the ones pulling you from the hole.
>>
I don't understand what the fuck is going on in this thread

Mental illnesses are very real but that doesn't mean that anyone could just snap and become killer, people with legit illnesses should be given help and they sure as fuck shouldn't possess weapons if they suffer from delusions that make them dangerous to other people. Of course this has the obvious issue that a doctor taking away someone's guns is plain wrong, so I wouldn't go making it legislation.

I'd say shit like sandy hook could've been avoided if the fag had been given treatment, the guns didn't make him go kill people.
>>
>>32567013
It's siginificantly easier to steal a truck than get a gun, you enormous faggot
>>
>>32567291
>Lets encourage people to get help for their illnesses by dehumanizing them and stripping them of their natural rights as a US citizen

Fuck off this is exactly why I refuse to go see a psychiatrist
>>
>>32567193
Fucking this, we didn't had alot of mass shootings back in the day from people with mental issues when we had institutions to keep them held in.
>>
>>32567487
Going to see a psychiatrist isn't going to magically summon the ATF to grab your guns.

I don't know what state he was from or whether it was a federal/state law, but my old psychiatrist was from America and said he couldn't legally even ask if the client owned guns.
>>
>>32567528
>Going to see a psychiatrist isn't going to magically summon the ATF to grab your guns.

Not yet. Considering how even conservatives are on board with "mental health checks" I can expect my ADD diagnosis when I was a kid to disqualify me sometime down the road.
>>
>>32567564
Maybe it should. You clearly have trouble holding in your frustrations on a Chinese fingerpaint image board :^)
>>
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure I want the government deciding what makes a person too crazy to exercise a Constitutional right.

Racism? Sexism? Homophobia? Those are all antisocial personality traits in an inclusive, diverse nation. Throw in an obsession with weapons and militaria, and it'd be real easy to get your /k/ ass put on a federal nogunz list, if the social conditions were right.

Thought cops are never the answer.
>>
>>32566860
yfw if they had fought him they could have easily overpowered him with minimal casualties.

yfw they were too pussy to do anything.
>>
>>32569479
as mentioned above the guy who did this went to the authorities and said he was hearing voices, he thought it was the CIA telling him to kill for ISIS. nobody did anything
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.