[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a parts kit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: clyde_armory_hk_ump_40_parts_kit.jpg (222KB, 1000x631px) Image search: [Google]
clyde_armory_hk_ump_40_parts_kit.jpg
222KB, 1000x631px
I've been kicking around the idea of building a parts kit for some time. While I haven't decided on what to build yet, I was wondering if anyone has tried their hand at building anything. Any tips or warnings?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>32559031
Learn stuff about the gun you're building and what mistakes people commonly make. Figure out what tools you'll need and more importantly, how to use them.

t. built a few AKs, a FAL, and have a Sten kit staring me in the face
>>
>>32559053
Amy chance we can see the Sten? Kinda curious.
>>
>>32559217
It's a Sten, it's not that interesting. I would say not worth building because you have to make it closed bolt.
>>
>>32559053
Anything to watch out for in an FAL build? I'm thinking about doing that myself, probably on an IMBEL kit.
>>
File: 1461209683807.gif (104KB, 300x136px) Image search: [Google]
1461209683807.gif
104KB, 300x136px
>>32559239
SHOW ME THE STEN
>>
>>32559217
I don't have any pictures, I just bought it because it was $70 at the time. What >>32559239 said is pretty correct, I haven't moved on buying a receiver tube or barrel for it because it'll just be an uncomfortable 9mm carbine when it's done.
>>
File: STENMK3PartsKitTStock.jpg (89KB, 800x394px) Image search: [Google]
STENMK3PartsKitTStock.jpg
89KB, 800x394px
>>32559264
Holy fug calm your testicles, this is essentially what it looks like.

>>32559246
Just make sure your barrel times to 330* when hand tightening to the receiver, less than that is good since sanding down the shoulder is easier and better (in my opinion) than adding a spacer. Aside from that it's a pretty simple build.
>>
>>32559246
Assembling an FAL is pretty easy. Attach the barrel to the upper, insert locking shoulder. Basically done.

I would shoot an FAL first, you may not like it.
>>
>>32559289
Adding a spacer isn't hard or a big deal. People like to freak out about it but if you get a correctly sized washer nothing can go wrong.
>>
>>32559315
I agree that it's functionally the same, I'm pretty retarded though so I'd probably have to order three different washers before I ended up with the right size.
>>
>>32559334
>I'd probably have to order three different washers before I ended up with the right size.
if this is considered a big deal to you stay away from parts kits in general
>>
What's a good parts kit to get if you've never done one before?
>>
>>32559639
Bump for interest
>>
>>32559639
ar15 is lego tier easy, maybe $100 for specialized tools, more if you don't have a torque wrench and decent vice.
>>
>>32559559
It's not a big deal, I just said I'd rather sand down a barrel shoulder than have to buy a spacer. And before either I'd rather have a barrel that times correctly from the get-go.

What's wrong with wanting an easy task?
>>
>>32559991
Filing down the shoulder is the easier task than getting a washer than fits? I hardly think so. I much prefer it to overtime than undertime.
>>
>>32559299
>I would shoot an FAL first, you may not like it.
Why's that? I'll admit I've only ever handled them and never fired one, but does it have some sort of unpleasant quirk?
Honestly, I'm the sort of guy that finds a nugget comfy, so there's not much that really phases me anymore.
>>
>>32561621
Nothing really outstandingly awful about it. It's fairly heavy, it's not the most accurate thing out there, and can be unreliable. Depending on what you get the ergonomics might be total ass. Some people love them, some hate them. I'm not a fan, personally, after having owned and assembled quite a few.
>>
>>32562021
Well, again, I've only handled a few and never actually shot one, but going off of that, the FAL's ergonomics are still better than half the rifles I own. The fact that it actually has a proper pistol grip instead of a weirdly-positioned stock that makes me punch myself in the face under recoil is already a point in its favor. Can't say the same for about a quarter of my bolt-action milsurps.

Seriously, European soldiers at the turn of the 20th century must have been fucking manlets.
>>
>>32559031
If you own a welder and a few other basic parts then an uzi build is not that bad.
I would suggest doing a mini uzi build and make it a pistol

Otherwise a rifle build just looks stupid and you have to deal with bullshit like 922r
that is if you care about that sorta thing
>>
>>32559031
I'm working on my first AK, still need to spot weld the rails inside, make the trunnion holes and go from there. I have a question, it has Arsenal furniture but the little tab on my lower handguard busted and I need to replace it, can I just order an I.O. lower handguard or does it need to be an Arsenal? I don't see why it wouldn't fit but I figured I'd ask.
>>
>>32561176
It's a menial task that you can check constantly. In my mind that's easier to do right.
>>
>>32562118
A short length of pull is good when you have lots of clothing or armor on and yes, generally people were shorter 100 years ago.
>>
>>32562288
Fair point. Still, when you're a 6'2" skeleton, an obnoxiously short length of pull, like that on a Mosin or K31, is quite the pain in the...well, nose, really.
>>
>>32562350
And you like the FAL?
>>
>>32562391
Comparatively, at least. Yeah I know, I'm weird.
>>
>>32562437
Yea, that's weird since the generic 50.00 fixed stock isn't that long.
>>
>>32559031
Anyone ever build one of the SA26 kits? I'm thinking about getting one.
>>
>>32559790
I wouldn't quite call an AR a parts kit build, or at least in the normal sense. Normally a parts kit build includes buying some surplus cut from some county, buying a new receiver blank and possibly barrel and cobbling them together.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.