[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 44

File: maxresdefault.jpg (145KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
145KB, 1280x720px
SWCC edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
Last question got deleted with the last thread. So I might have fucked up. I went to see a recruiter and told him about a very quesionable legal past (might become a felon, hope not) and that used drugs. Am I even able to join or should I just end it now? Would going to different recruiter be a viable option?
>>
File: 1482936486226.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482936486226.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you ain't Infantry, you ain't SHIT
>>
File: 070104-n-3093m-009.jpg (952KB, 3008x1960px) Image search: [Google]
070104-n-3093m-009.jpg
952KB, 3008x1960px
>What can y'all tell me about military divers active and in the reserves?
Specifically, if I already had my commercial diver's license before enlisting
>What is there to know about the Navy reserves?

I went through MEPS back in 2012 in another state. I got temporarily med dropped, and my option 40 contract dropped. I needed to get a heart rate test done, and then needed a medical waiver. My recruiter got shady, and I ended up disheartened not enlisting, because I was a fucking naive teenager.

I'm 22 now and moved to Seattle for commercial dive school, which I will be able to afford or start within the next 8-16 weeks.

Dive school is a 7 month program. I'll be paying around $10k out of pocket, and taking out $20k in loans. I could qualify for more/better loan rate once I'll have been a resident for a complete year in August. I have not looked into any active or reserve Naval ratings, how much active vs reserves GI Bill pays, length of boot and AIT or anything yet.

I will contact a recruiter, as soon as I get together my previous enlistment papers. Any heads up and input before they pull their recruiter mumbo jumbo is greatly appreciate.
>>
>>32556859
depends on drugs. Marijuana? My recruiter didn't care at all. Meth? Probs. Felon? Probs.
>>
>>32556913

how are those knees bro
>>
>>32557192
They won't give a fuck if you were jacques cousteau, commercial licenses dont mean shit in tge military. And you'll make so much more in the private sector after your apprenticeship.
>>
>>32558829

Just finished a 7 mile run, they're as good as ever. Thanks for the concern bro.
>>
>>32558829
What happens if your knees give out halfway through your contract? Do you just get reassigned to a different MOS or do they boot you altogether?
>>
Who is better for tanks? Army or Marines
>>
>>32559653
uh...army dude
>>
Bump for Air Force.
>>
>>32559165

depends, but if they're bad enough you get the boot and then you get to experience the wonderous joyful adventures of the VA

>>32559653

rhetorical trick question, join the airforce
>>
>>32556913
>tfw you didn't have your shit together in your late teens
>missed the chance to enlist in lieu of dicking around in college
>now have a settled life as a police officer
>tons of my colleagues are former military, mostly grunts, who are constantly telling war stories and talking about their time
>will never EVER get to experience what they did

now I just browse /meg/ to think about what could have been
>>
>>32559954
if you're under 35 its never too late anon
>>
>>32560058
How under 35 do you have to be?
>>
>>32556816
Is that AOR2? Not sure if seals or SWCC
>>
>>32560075
you can BE 35 when you ship
>>
>be me
>wanna be muhreen
>don't wanna get screwed in contract
How do I select MOS? From what I understand you pick field and thats it??? (ex. You wanna go infantry, you go 03xx and then have job chosen for you). I want to go 03xx and then hopefully train up in MCMAP and become an instructor to translate to civie life of security instructor/contractor. (already have strong kenpo background)
Also how bad is boot camp really?
>>
Can anyone tell me their experiences with the National Guard? I've been looking around and it seems like a lot of people hated it. I want to go in so I get the college (live in Ohio) and it gives me some path for later in life. I'm just trying to find out if it's worth it.
>>
>>32560676

You get together and pretend you're in the Army once a month. The benefits are pretty shit in some places (states that hate the military) and pretty good in others (states that love the military).
>>
>>32560676
As with anything military wise, you have to be in the right mindset. Know that there will be a ton of bullshit, and no real upsides unless you're going to school. If you're joining to want to actually do the cool military stuff, go active Army.
>>
>>32560733

didnt california consider stripping their nasty guard of 30 round mags down to 10 round mags to appeal to the masses

god i fucking hate governors, they should have zero power over nasty girls
>>
>>32560058
is 22 a good time?
>>
>>32560810
Hell yeah! Still young! You don't need to be fresh out of highschool to join, brother. In fact, its probably a better time now than when you're 18, since you're probably not just jumping unknowingly.

Do your research, pick an MOS that you think you'll enjoy and dont settle for less. When they give you a pick of MOS's, if the one you want isn't on it, don't sign the contract stating that you don't want to join unless you get the job you want.

An soldier unhappy with their job won't be a good soldier.
>>
>>32560863
Cool, bc if i do not get into a graduate school than the Marine corps it is. Artillery is the goal.
>>
I live in California, would it be better to join the air gaurd or the airforce reserve? I'd just like to use the military as a stepping stool into law enforcement?
>>
>>32559653
The Army is better in all regards.
>>
>>32560994
how so?
>>
>>32561005
>better enlistment bonuses
>better quality of life
>better promotion rates
>newer equipment (marines use lots of army hand-me-downs).
>>
>>32560994
>>32561005
>>32561059

And honestly the marines these days are redundant. Nowadays, the army can do the same thing an more just as effectively.

Army has better funding, newer equipment like the other said, much larger.

The marines just think they're better because they're told they're better. Literally. Thats it. They just hype up the marines to think they're better because they get all of the shitty missions, the shitty equipment, and shitty command.

but "Hooah!!! Muhreens"

Join army, anon
>>
>>32561118
if i wanted to do artillery is there a place for that in the army?
>>
>>32561144
Yeppo. Check out 13x
>>
What are some good carido workouts that don't involve running?

I've got some shin splints and haven't been able to run for a while without risk of injuring myself.
>>
>>32561218
Swimming and HIIT

I doubt anyone here has any info on civil affairs?
>>
>>32561218
Biking works well. Jumprope is great cardio.
Swimming, as other anon said.
>>
>>32560587

boot camp isn't hard at all once you get past the initial shock(took me about 2-3 weeks). ITB is harder, especially during the winter months. Halfway through ITB they have what's called the "weapons split" where you are assigned you your actual MOS. If you want a weapons MOS then shoot for a high score on your ASVAB and become a PT god. I had a 98 ASVAB and 285 PFT so they let me pick whichever MOS I wanted at the weapons split. The higher your scores the more options you will have to choose from. If you just want to be an 0311 you will definitely get it though, no need to worry about that.

Just make sure that your contract says UH option(03xx) before you sign it.
>>
Can I do an Option 40 as a Combat Engineer?

If not, what are some cool opportunities for 12B?
>>
>>32561059
>>32561118
The whole Army having better equipment is a fucking meme.

I work with all the Maintenance Commodities (Comm, Motor T, and Armory) in a Marine Infantry Battalion, and the only issue we have is with Trucks, and that is mainly due to the fact we are using a decades old platform and throwing thousands of pounds of armor onto them and driving them offroad around a desert and not expect that to have negative qualities on the lifespan of the gear.

My Battalions operational tempo is also extremely condensed compared to other battalions (~8 months instead of the standard year before deployment), and even then our weapon systems, comm equipment, and trucks are all still alive. When we recieved M4's over half were brand new.

Thinking getting promoted faster is a good thing is also bullshit. There's a reason Marines are promoted slower (depending on MOS), and that is because an E4 is expected to be an actual fucking leader. Even then I picked up Corporal in a year and 9 months, so if you're not a turd and can pick up meritoriously (or have a stupid low cutting score MOS), promotion can still be quick.
>>
>>32561344

What battalion? I was in 3/8
>>
>>32561344
3/4
>>
>>32556816
>that guy without earpro next to heavy caliber mg
>>
>>32559653
Army
>>
>>32561417

Long shot but did you deploy with them in 2011? They replaced us in the Upper Gereshk Valley in May 2011. If you weren't with them, have you spoken to anyone who was on that deployment? I've always wanted to talk to someone from 3/4 who was there.

Here's a good article about their experience by the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-14897977 .
>>
>>32561469
No. I met some former 3/4 guys but no one from that time frame.

If you weren't aware they deactivated 3/4 in 2014, only to reactivate them less than a year later in 2015. I've been with them since before they officially reactivated. We're set to deploy to Australia in the spring.

Our Battalion right now is actually really fucking Boot. Most of our grunts have less than a year in fleet (Our first boot drops happened in Decemeber, and most didn't start arriving until the spring and summer. We didn't even hit near our fuill strength until July. I'm a POG withh H&S and it's pretty similar with our company as well. Hell, it will be my first deployment and I've been in well over 2 years.
>>
>>32560863
Good advice

>>32560942
Go in enlisted and you can always commission later on. you'll be a better officer for going enlisted first. Pro tip: you can't lead men in a job that you've never done yourself.
>>
>>32561233
In civil affairs you coordinate food drops and tell 3rd world villagers that you'll fix their roads and build schools. Pretty much the whole job in a nut shell.
>>
>>32561522

>If you weren't aware they deactivated 3/4 in 2014, only to reactivate them less than a year later in 2015.

No I hadn't heard about that. I got out in 2012 and haven;t been keeping up with those things. I know they deactivated a few east coast units though. What the fuck are you guys doing in Australia?
>>
>>32561266
Sapper school. I think you can get that in your contract.
>>
>Dropped from USMC Boot Camp over 6 years ago.
>Said I had depression because a bunch of other kids in my platoon said the same thing and got sent home.
>Get the boot
>2005 + 12
>Successful job, college grad, etc.
>Want to join NG
What are the odds? Got booted with ELS Unchar. RE-3P.
>>
>>32561579
It's called Marine Rotational Force - Darwin

An agreement we have with the Aussies to have a Marine MAGTF train with their Army/Air Force. Also it's apprently a push to have deployed, ready units in The Pacific (as crisis response/middle finger to China), without having them in Okinawa, due to all the international incidents and tensions happeneing there.

I'm not going to complain, though. I'd rather be sent to Australia than most anywhere else that Marines deploy to.
>>
>>32561664

So it's basically like a 7 month long field op in Australia? Where do you live when you aren't training? sqaud bays on an Aussie base?

>I'm not going to complain, though. I'd rather be sent to Australia than most anywhere else that Marines deploy to.

What you want to get is a Mediterranean MEU my friend. They don't call them booze cruises for nothing.
>>
>>32561700
They have actual barracks rooms for us, apparently. I heard they're pretty small, but whatever. It's a deployment. We still get Daily Liberty (with a midnight to 2 AM curfew depending on the day) and even leave opportunities while we're there. As far as deployments go it's pretty nice. Esecially since all the other battalions in my regiment are deploying to Iraq/Kuwait.

>What you want to get is a Mediterranean MEU my friend. They don't call them booze cruises for nothing.

I've heard good and bad stories of MEU's, but I'm going to assume being on a MEU in the Mediterranean had to be nice. I heard places like Greece for port calls were cheap and fun as hell.
>>
>>32561534
>go to college
>don't reap the benefits of being able to commission from there
>>
File: DSCF0248.jpg (2MB, 2112x2816px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0248.jpg
2MB, 2112x2816px
>>32561744

Sounds comfy AF. What city are you going to be closest too? Are you going to get many opportunities to leave base and go out on the town?

MEUs are fun if you can put up with living on a ship and dealing with squids for 3-4 weeks at a time. We got to spend some time cross-training with the French Foreign Legion in D'jibouti and then training the Jordanian Army in Jordan. After we were done training the Jordanians we got to use their high-tech Spec Ops MOUT training facility at KASOTC and then got to go on a few "field trips" to all of the cool shit to see in their country, like Petra and the dead sea. Oh and the cheap booze and hookers in Spain, Italy, and Greece was fun too. MEUs give you chance to see a whole bunch of things that you would otherwise never experience in your life.
>>
File: 1481399763969.jpg (175KB, 683x797px) Image search: [Google]
1481399763969.jpg
175KB, 683x797px
How much free time do you have as a 0311 in the marines? I want to prepare for college while im in, but im afraid i won't have the time for it. Thanks /k/.
>>
>>32561927
If the name "Marine Rotational Force - Darwin", didn't give it away, the closest city is Darwin. Apparently there is the oppurtunity for liberty daily when in the barracks. It just has a midnight curfew.

I wish it was an actual MEU but I'm content with at least going to Australia. Next deployment for me will most likely be Iraq, so I'm happy enough to at least get this one.
>>
>>32561929

What do you mean by "prepare"? You have a ton of free time while in garrison as a non-nco grunt. Hell, I spent half of my days in the Marine corps playing Battlefield and FIFA all day just waiting to get off work. However, whenever you are in the field training you have no free time at all and there is no routine to when you are or aren;t in the field, which makes taking courses difficult.
>>
For guys that served in the Navy: what were the best and worst parts of being on a ship?
>>
>>32561534
> Pro tip: you can't lead men in a job that you've never done yourself.

This is a meme. Prior service officers are statistically worse at their jobs than their peers who have been in the same amount of time.
>>
>>32562018
[citation needed]
>>
>>32561974
I mean study math and courses that i would take in college. Stuff like khan academy and math textbooks. I don't want to get out and be completly unprepared for college. I would prefer not to go to college online while im in, i want to have the full college experience.
>>
>>32561929
>>32562061
You will have plenty of free time when no in the field, especially if this isn't something that has a mandated schedule like online college. If it's just prep you should be fine. I'm not a grunt myself but I am in a grunt battalion, and I see most of those fuckers in their rooms fucking around all day when I got stuck with duty.
>>
>>32562061

You will have plenty of time for self study. Just be prepared to deal with occasional weeks-long periods of time in which you are in the field training and won't be able to, but while you are in garrison there will definitely be plenty of time.
>>
>>32562076
>>32562082
Thanks for the help guys.
>>
>>32562031

10 year TIS officer who was always an officer = MAJ who is on the track to LTC and full officer retirement.

10 year TIS officer who spent the first 5 years fucking around as an NCO = Probably just made CPT, far behind all the other officers with 10 years TIS. Might see MAJ (likely won't), probably won't retire.

The Army thinks prior-service officers are shit because they're so far behind their peers in TIS, which is why statistically they're booted out before retirement way more often.
>>
Went through basic recently and in 35M AIT right now. If anyone has any questions about being in IET, BCT, or general info about 35M or Huachuca, fire away.

Personally, I'm curious to hear about people's experiences at DLI. It sounds pretty good, but I'm not sure what it would be like in IET status. That's the next place I'm going after I leave Huachuca.
>>
Due to a medical waiver, I don't qualify for the option 40 anymore. I need PRK for my eyes and was thinking of just going 11 bang bang and try to get a option 4 so I can go to airborne atleast.

How hard is it to try out for RASP while 11b?
>>
>>32562960
Pretty sure almost anyone can go to RASP if they just get a high PT score during BCT/AIT. There are always open slots.
>>
File: thats a big gun.jpg (473KB, 1400x979px) Image search: [Google]
thats a big gun.jpg
473KB, 1400x979px
On January 21, I'm going to start the process into the Army and leaving college for another day. I just can't get absorbed into "university". I do have 12K in loans though, is that going to hinder me in any way before/during/after enlistment or my career choices in the army?
>>
>>32557192
Don't bother. You won't learn anything in the Navy that you haven't already learned at DIT. Just do your school and go into the workforce.

Having said that, if you can get into the Navy as a salvage diver or whatever, you'll get paid to learn all that shit you'll be paying 30K for at DIT.
>>
File: IMG_2421.jpg (58KB, 319x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2421.jpg
58KB, 319x400px
>>32556913
Pissing
Off
Grunts
>>
>>32561567
Thanks for the reply, how difficult would it be to get in as a college graduate?
>>
>>32560587
>I want to go 03xx and then hopefully train up in MCMAP and become an instructor to translate to civie life of security instructor/contractor.

Lol.

>(already have strong kenpo background)

LMAOLMAOLMAO

Dude I hope you're trolling.
>>
Hey /k/ for the stupid as fuck question
I want to experience cool shit with my bros, have nice stories to tell and all that, but combat arms doesn't interest me, and the navy doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy either. Do I have any options?
>>
>>32561534
Terrible advice. If you want a commission, seek a commission as a civilian. Picking up a commission once you're active duty enlisted is harder.
>>
File: HH60SurfRS.jpg (284KB, 840x564px) Image search: [Google]
HH60SurfRS.jpg
284KB, 840x564px
>>32565865
Coast Guard
>>
>>32560587
If you want to be infantry get an infantry contract.

After bootcamp, which as an Infantryman will be the easiest thing you'll do, you goto SOI ITB.

They ask for volunteers for 0331, 0341, and 0351. Everyone else, about 75% become 0311's.
>>
>>32565944
I'm a terrible swimmer
>>
>>32556913
You're classic idiot infrantry
Elevate yourself become an operator, then you'll get respect and can say idioc things
>>
>>32562061
>college experience

Why do people believe this meme? my buddy in the Navy told me that this is what he wanted when he gets when I offered to get him a real job instead. You'll all learn the hard way.
>>
>>32566308

College is a good opportunity to network and refine what you want to do. I can respect the desire to go do that, especially if Uncle Sam is paying for it.
>>
>>32566317
>>32566308
College can give you a solid STEM education if you work hard and aren't repulsed by the fluff general-education classes.

But its economic role is no longer education. It's merely a work-permit for the white collar sector, so the actual educational value is tangential to the certificate.
>>
>>32566317
>College is a good opportunity to network

True, as long as you find the people who are squared away and avoid the mass of millennial manchildren.

>and refine what you want to do

False. If you don't know what you want to do in college then being there won't magically decide it for you. You'll end up picking something like Communications just to get a degree and then you can go work as a waiter like all the other college grads I know.

You need to have an actual goal you're working toward. If you want to dick around because it's free then whatever, but prepared for being 26 with a useless degree and no career prospects.
>>
Has anyone here taken the ICTL? I want to go take it, and I feel pretty computer savvy, but I don't want to go and bomb it expecting something different than it is.

Also on the subject of college, I'm picking up 18 credits from this 35M AIT. It's pretty sweet.
>>
Hey anons, there was a big FFL thread yesterday and many anons wanted to know a lots of stuff. I served in the Legion and I will gladly answer any questions concerning preselection, selection and anything in between that any wannabe engagé volontaire would want to know.
>>
>>32566373
>You need to have an actual goal you're working toward. If you want to dick around because it's free then whatever, but prepared for being 26 with a useless degree and no career prospects.

A STEM job and a six-figure salary isn't for everyone. Some folks just want to hang with friends in college, grab that philosophy degree, then make 45-70k and have a chill middle class life.
>>
File: smug monkey.jpg (161KB, 1024x1704px) Image search: [Google]
smug monkey.jpg
161KB, 1024x1704px
>>32566435
>grab that philosophy degree, then make 45-70k and have a chill middle class life.

Yeah good luck with that
>>
>>32566415

The ICTL is a "is this guy retarded with technology" test meant to weed out people who can somehow get a good enough ST score to grab a cyber MOS, but literally can't learn to operate technology.

It isn't even as difficult as an entry-level IT cert, it's for entirely untrained people.

Also there's not really any reason they'd bother letting a 35M take it.
>>
>>32566468
It's just a test, they don't mind sending me down to the building to take it. I guess I'll go for it.
>>
>>32566444

Literally half of my old college friends are doing just this. A mid-range job is pretty easy to land even if you have a "useless" degree, as long as you have *a* degree and friends to give you the hookup. Being middle class ain't hard, not everyone wants to run the rat race.
>>
File: Air_Force_Logo.jpg (15KB, 502x401px) Image search: [Google]
Air_Force_Logo.jpg
15KB, 502x401px
Holy fucking shit, why is every AFS terrible at their jobs?

Is there one Air Force job where they are actually competent?
>>
>>32566430
Do you live in france?
>>
>>32566497
Nope, back at my original home. I don't like France.
>>
>>32566510
What country? Are you white?
>>
>>32566487
That's cool I guess. I have a job in that range and I dropped out of college and every day I kick myself for having wasted those 3 years when I could have been in the military or doing something better. College ultimately did nothing for me.
>>
>>32566513
Yes, I'm white. Czech rep.
>>
>>32566487

This. I'm doing the rat race thing, tryharded in college and the military. It's paid off, I make good money.

End result though? I get to drive a bit nicer car and have a bit nicer house than my college friends. I'll probably retire a lot more comfortably.

So, yay, the last 30/40 years of my life will be better than theirs maybe. They seem to be enjoying their 20s/30s more than I am though.
>>
so I've started running to prepare for basic and I got what seems to be shin splints, as well as pain on the upper side of my calves
Should I stop running for now or tough it out and keep going? I don't want to "lose my progress" and either way I'm gonna have to be able to run without getting leg pain if I want to make it during training
Yet I don't want to injure myself either.
Pls help
>>
>>32566697
How long you have those? If it less than a month, continue running. If more, check up with the doctor.
>>
>>32566697
If you're fat, or just heavy (yeah nah, fat) and you're new to running, keep going.

Do make sure you check for correct form - good posture and relaxed, mid-foot strikes. That cut half a minute and a lot of pain off my running.
>>
>>32566697
Mix up your running with swimming or cycling. You still get the cardio benefit but you allow your body a little time to heal.

Don't try to tough it out because there's a good chance you'll just end up developing something worse as you start running with lousy technique in an attempt to mitigate the pain.
>>
>>32566714
I've started running a month ago actually. I run once every two days
I've had shin splints for around three weeks but the calf pain since yesterday.
I should probably see a doctor since I'm pretty sure I overtrained, but I'll never get better if I keep taking long breaks every time my legs hurt, right?
>>32566741
I'm not fat at all, just not used to sports (used to be a neet)
I have good form since I pay a lot of attention to the way I run
>>
>>32566750
Does swimming help with cardio as much as running does?
Are there good programs like C25K but for swimming?
Yeah I'm actually not bothered by shin splints that much since the pain goes away after ~5 minutes of running but the pain in my calves is more intense. Guess I'll stop for now and start swimming
>>
>>32560966
Figure out how the retirement calculations work in CA for example if military service is credited towards civilian LEO retirement and if so, is there a difference between active, Guard and Reserve.
>>
>>32566792
>Does swimming help with cardio as much as running does?
Very much so. If you're breathing heavy, using your muscles and your heart is beating, you're getting a workout.
Swimming, though uses your arms and back a lot more than your legs. It also promotes core strength as you keep your body in a streamlined shape in the water.
>>
>>32566765
Every two days is a good schedule. Mix it up with interval sprints and longer-distance runs, do trails and tracks instead of concrete. Drink some milk and take an ibuprofen if your pussy hurts. If you're worried scale back to 3x a week. You should be fine.

A Jacob's Ladder machine at your gym is good. So is swimming.
>>
>>32566430
What are the retirement benefits offered by the Legion and how long must you serve to earn them?
>>
>>32566435
>grab that philosophy degree, then make 45-70k and have a chill middle class life.

Competition in the workplace, any workplace, is fierce. Retirement comes very soon so if you aren't smart enough to lock in a solid benefit package you are one Recession (they are periodic and inevitable) from having your savings destroyed.

Life is a shit sandwich and the more security you have the less shit you taste.
>>
>>32566492
I worked with many, many competent maintainers. Dunno who you work with, but if you are unhappy it's easy to separate. One Anon even managed to tell his bosses he "quit" and outprocessed so fast he got an Honorable because no one was looking.
>>
>>32566834
>>32566835
Thanks anons.
>>
File: confused disgust.gif (4MB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
confused disgust.gif
4MB, 620x400px
Why are so many enlisted personnel stepfathers?

Is the enlisted corps degenerate?
>>
File: the air force.jpg (84KB, 750x556px) Image search: [Google]
the air force.jpg
84KB, 750x556px
>>32566492
These guys are pretty good at their job.

They deal with every dead soldier's body that passes through the east coast.

The Air Force is the best in the business.
>>
>>32566856

Not him, but from what I've researched, you can retire after 17 years with a pension that increases as you serve more years. If you serve between 8-16 years they give you a lump sum severance package equal to 2 years of wages that increases depending on time served.
>>
>>32566880

Riding out a recession isn't so bad if you don't live beyond your means. You also need to be willing to live somewhere that isn't a huge expensive city.
>>
>>32566350
I agree. Getting a degree is different than the "college experience." I tell students to stay local and avoid loans. The whole going-away-for-college idea is a joke unless you get a free ride including free meals for 4 years.

>>32566317
It used to be a good opportunity to network, but so many people go to college now there's no way you'll stand out among the thousands of other students. Remember 72 percent of college grads don't work in their field.
>>
>>32567385
>The whole going-away-for-college idea is a joke unless you get a free ride including free meals for 4 years.

Which is exactly what the military gives you, so you can't fault people for getting out and doing that.

>Can't network in college

You got it all wrong dude. You don't network with potential employers directly, you network with other college students. I have a kickass resume, but most of the best jobs/offers I've gotten have needed the referral from a former classmate/buddy/coworker in order to get that resume in front of the right person.

High-demand industries even incentivize referrals with cash. If I know a former coworker that is a solid employee and looking to make a jump, I can get a few grand from my company for bringing them on.
>>
Let's say I want a CIA career in spooky SAD/SOG operations.

Would it be better for me to finish my degree, enlist in the Army, work my way to special forces, and then look for CIA careers?

Or would I be better off not wasting my time/money with college now, and going off to enlist right now?

I ask mainly because on the CIA website, just about every job that interests me says it requires a four-year degree. But the way I figure, if I do some outstanding work in my military career, then they won't be as strict on the whole degree thing.
>>
>>32556816
what is that gay dildo lemon juicer thing on the end of the .50 cal
>>
>>32567795
You can get into SAD/SOG without necessarily being former SF.
>>
>>32567795

> But the way I figure, if I do some outstanding work in my military career, then they won't be as strict on the whole degree thing.

The degree is pretty much non-waiverable if you want to go federal. I've known some fucking military rockstars who were turned away from government employment because they never bothered getting their piece of paper.

If you're lucky, they might bring you on as a very junior grade and tell you that you have X months to complete your degree or get the boot.

If you actually looked at the CIA website you'd know that the whole "SF->Agency work" thing is mostly a meme perpetuated by military fiction novels. Most of those guys were smart enough to get into a good school and applied to the government with a degree or two, but every teenager with no prospects thinks that step one on that path is heading to the local recruiter and enlisting for some reason.
>>
File: lynn_black_450.jpg (171KB, 450x368px) Image search: [Google]
lynn_black_450.jpg
171KB, 450x368px
>>32567817
I understand that, but personally want to experience life in special forces, and more specifically I want to be a paramilitary operations officer in the CIA, which requires military/leadership experience.

I know my university offers an ROTC program which would it easier for me to pay for college and enlist afterwards, but I want to know if it is worth my time to finish a degree with the career path I have in mind.
>>
File: UIUC_seal.svg.png (493KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
UIUC_seal.svg.png
493KB, 1024x1024px
>>32567869
This answers my question a bit better.

I just don't want to spend any more time with bullshit schoolwork then I have to, seeing as I'm doubtful that most of the things I learn will be applicable in a covert operations career.

Engineering student, btw.
>>
>>32567915

>I just don't want to spend any more time with bullshit schoolwork then I have to, seeing as I'm doubtful that most of the things I learn will be applicable in a covert operations career.

Schoolwork is just discipline. Nobody with the discipline to get through the SF pipeline has an excuse for not getting their degree, really.

You're wrong about the value of education in a spoopy career though. Strong guys are easy to find, if all they wanted was dudes that could do a million pushups they could just recruit from the Rangers. They want people with actual fucking skills. People with >300 APFTs are a dime a dozen, fatty savants who can do a 3/3 DLPT are a lot rarer, but there's still a lot of them. You need to be a guy who can do both, and that is incredibly rare.
>>
File: 4128418345_ddb77ee40e_z.jpg (121KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
4128418345_ddb77ee40e_z.jpg
121KB, 500x375px
>>32567953
Okay, that makes sense.

So assuming I stick with college, is an engineering degree the way to go? I get that something like political science could be valuable, but I would think that the engineering skillset could prove much more useful.

I'm also currently fluent in Polish, and I was considering taking up French again since I did some of that in high school. After that, I wanted to look into Russian since it shares a lot of similarities with Polish. Does that seem like a good language path?
>>
>>32567953

Not the guy who youre replying to but I'm fluent in french and conversational in russian. Is foreign language proficiency enough to stand on its own in lieu of a college degree?
>>
>>32567869
>>32567953
Do they require a degree as in the piece of paper, or are they just searching for skilled people regardless of their academic background?
Would they consider taking a guy who served during X years in a very technical MOS and knows a foreign language yet didn't get a college degree?

Are there skills they're looking for more than others, aside from the obvious arabic/farsi linguists?
Stuff like cyber or cryptology for example?
>>
>>32562894
Your experience at DLI will largely depend on how good you are at learning your language.
Being IET of course sucks (for example, the battle buddy shit always applies when speaking to cadre), but it sucks less if you qualify for PT exemption and/or get put in a company that doesn't enforce the curfew.
>>
Is it true that you can take the dlpt if your mos has nothing to do with being a linguist?
>>
>>32568696
Absolutely
>>
>>32568696
Yeah, I remember getting yanked out of BCT reception to take. I had no idea what was happening, but apparently I'd scored high enough on whatever that I was qualified to try out. I failed (because I didn't know what the fuck was happening) and it never came up again for me.
>>
>>32561344
>Thinking getting promoted faster is a good thing is also bullshit. There's a reason Marines are promoted slower (depending on MOS), and that is because an E4 is expected to be an actual fucking leader. Even then I picked up Corporal in a year and 9 months, so if you're not a turd and can pick up meritoriously (or have a stupid low cutting score MOS), promotion can still be quick.

Tell yourself whatever you want, the marine corps promotes slower, period. A soldier serving as an E-5 doing a job that would be an E-4 in the marine corps is getting paid better and treated better. Likewise all the way up the ranks.

The corps tries very hard to make it something that marines are proud of. Don't fall for it.
>>
File: USMC Critical Skills Operator.jpg (54KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
USMC Critical Skills Operator.jpg
54KB, 564x564px
>>32568696
Yes. Tons of SOF guys get language pay without having to become faggy lispy linguists. Tons of non-SOFers too.
>>
>>32567795
>But the way I figure, if I do some outstanding work in my military career, then they won't be as strict on the whole degree thing.

You figure wrong. The only positions that they care about military service for are the paramilitary jobs.
>>
>>32569720
>paramilitary
Which is 100% of SAD SOG
>>
>>32568696
Yes but you won't get paid the language bonus pay unless you're a linguist or the language that you speak is a specially designated language.
>>
Bump for answers
>>
>>32569734
It just needs to be a designated language. No one needs to become a linguist.
>>
>>32570612
That's what the word 'or' does in the English language.
>>
>>32570672
No one needs to become a linguist.
>>
At meps will they ask about chickenpox? What happens to potential adult recruits that never had the chickenpox aka could that be a reason got get disqualified?
>>
Signing up with the marines to do intelligence, how retarded is this decision?
>>
If a person were to get commissioned in the Marines after enlisting, are they locked into the MOS they had before or is there a possibility getting reassigned depending on how well their officer training goes?
>>
There are exactly two kinds of people in the US military.

People who would do it for 20+ years, and people who would never do it if they had known better.
>>
>>32571627
If you join the military to do intelligence, there is a 18/100 chance that it will be as far as possible from cool as you hope it will be.
Granted, a limited number of people do get to do the fun, cool shit. But for almost all of the rest of us, its just a lot of making powerpoint presentations using the shittiest incarnation of google ever conceived.
>>
>>32572249
But will I get to talk shit about how I know all the countries secrets? Thats whats important here
>>
>>32572233

Bull. Most people would do it for 3-6 years for the benefits, that's why the majority do that and get out.
>>
>>32559954
Why not the reserves, anon? Sounds perfect for someone in your situation. Look into it bro. Don't die an old man filled with regret.
>>
>>32567953
>Strong guys are easy to find, if all they wanted was dudes that could do a million pushups they could just recruit from the Rangers.
Oh, look, a dumb ass.

>>32567869
>the whole "SF->Agency work" thing is mostly a meme perpetuated by military fiction novels.
~90% of people engaged in paramilitary work for the CIA are former SOF/combat arms. The remaining 10% of career CIA folks who are the ones running teams or doing admin/logistics/etc; why? They straight up don't have the skillsets or experience to do half the shit you Wikipedia warriors think they do.

>>32567915
Since I'm steamrolling dreams, I'll just go ahead and let you know that SAD doesn't do shit. They have liaisons assigned to TFs to pass on shit that they've cultivated. SOG (despite being composed of former SOF/SMU folks) primarily focuses on non-kinetic operations.

Why? In active theaters, kinetic operations get farmed out to SOF units or TFs. In areas like the tribal region of Pakistan (or other places where the US doesn't want to have concrete involvement) they send SMUs or contractors who used to be SOF (look up Raymond Davis - he was an XPG Mobile employee who was doing groundwork for the CIA).

MEG is fucking cancer. Please, someone, say something stupid.
>>
I'm gonna be enlisting as infantry and obviously my goal is to make it into one of the elite groups.

I was prepared to do my time as a regular grunt and then work my way up but then I found out you can get recon/ranger/SF contracts. If at least some inexperienced recruits are actually expected to qualify are they only for people who are like highschool athletic prodigies or do you get enough physical training in basic/boot to prepare you? I've heard a lot of the difficulty is mostly mental.

My ideal time to ship would be in like 8 months when my lease is up, is that long enough to go from being a skinny fuck (23 y/o 5'9" 135lbs.) to SOF ready?

I would just say fuck it and try out but I've heard that if you drop/fail you get an open contract.
>>
>>32572419
>know all the countries secrets

That's not how it works. You won't know shit.
>>
>>32572950
I appreciate the reality check.

So if I want to live the lifestyle that most people ASSUME SAD/SOG guys lead, I should just stick in SOF and wait to be assigned?

I plan on going into SOF anyway, I'm just trying to plan on what I would do when I get too old/tired of operating.
>>
>>32560676
>Can anyone tell me their experiences with the National Guard?
You turn into a couch potato who spends 90% of his time shitposting in the discord and 10% of his time jerking of to mommy porn.
>>
File: rust.jpg (48KB, 598x776px) Image search: [Google]
rust.jpg
48KB, 598x776px
>>32572950

>unironically posting on 4chan
>>
File: operate in skirts.jpg (373KB, 800x1030px) Image search: [Google]
operate in skirts.jpg
373KB, 800x1030px
>>32563763
bump for this post x2
>>
>>32574400
BRUH

>>32574166
>I plan on going into SOF anyway, I'm just trying to plan on what I would do when I get too old/tired of operating.
How about you focus on your 25m target, which is actually enlisting, rather than what you're going to do in your twilight years after you finish being a space shuttle door gunner?
>>
>>32567050
Dumb boots marry their HS sweethearts and then find out they're actually shit together, then divorce. Former dependa then mooches off of her kids and stays living by their ex's last station, then troll for another poor soul to latch onto. If they're young enough, they can snare another dumb boot, or usually get some SNCO on their second/third marriage.
>>
>>32574995

How's it been?
>>
Anyone know if the local agency check in a secret clearance will turn up job applications to departments?
>>
File: 1459479011050.jpg (254KB, 700x1212px) Image search: [Google]
1459479011050.jpg
254KB, 700x1212px
>>32558993
>>32563854
Ah, that's what I figured. And after a quick google search, all military dive jobs are active duty and hard to get into.

>What Navy reservist ratings should I look into?
Deckhand/operator, uncertified welder, and 90 AFQT
>How does the Navy work for preference or guaranteeing job(s) before swearing in?
>>
>>32575082
Picking up, not like old times, but the getting has been good. You ever decide on 18X or LE?
>>
>>32575266

Yeah, still got that shell email?
>>
>>32566415
>Also on the subject of college, I'm picking up 18 credits from this 35M AIT. It's pretty sweet.

Just an FYI from a former Army intel dweeb who paid the ~$100 to Cochise and got 32 credit hours from AIT: It's only useful for the Cochise AAS degree program (in my case, intel operations). It won't go towards any other degree program at any other university.

So when you get out find out what the other requirements for that degree are (in my case it was just gen eds, all core classes were covered by my AIT) and send some transcripts there way and then put the paper in your folder with all your other training certs and shit. That's about all it's worth.
>>
>>32559954

>be me
>always wanted to be a muhreen
>go to high school
>all new friends
>change from a straight edge kid into a wild mess
>make dumb decisions
>get lost in life
>partying,boozing, smoking, the works
>totally forgot about the military and my old wants
>now 24 going on 25
>have nothing
>all friends are long forgotten / got their shit together since i last saw them years ago
>saw some shit on youtube that re-lit my fire and will to join.
>prob cant enlist because injuries i got being retarded look like self harm = insta DQ

don't make the same mistake i did, man. if you want it, just stay on the straight and narrow and don't let your lusts get the better of you.
>>
>>32575331
Yeah man, hit me up - about half past smashed right now, (unsuccessfuly) tryin to stay awake
>>
File: 1331924772176.jpg (148KB, 624x786px) Image search: [Google]
1331924772176.jpg
148KB, 624x786px
>>32575424
swag yolo 420 blazeit amirite tho?

you should join though so you can get outranked by people your age or younger.

One of my LCpls is 26 and my Sgt is 24.

its fun to watch him die a little inside when it comes up
>>
>>32575449
>swag yolo 420 blazeit amirite tho?
not so much. the group i hung out with was like the "jackass"group. we used to do stupid shit, play guitars, did some covers around town with our little "band" or whatever you wanna call it. we were just retards high on our own testosterone.
>>
>>32575445

Dig it, sent
>>
What are some of the more underrated jobs in the US military?
>>
>>32567915
>I just don't want to spend any more time with bullshit schoolwork then I have to, seeing as I'm doubtful that most of the things I learn will be applicable in a covert operations career.

1. How do you know it won't be applicable?

2. It's applicable.
>>
>>32568053
Literally any degree.

>>32568078
>Is foreign language proficiency enough to stand on its own in lieu of a college degree?

CIA.gov would answer your question. But no, it isn't. >>32568171
>Would they consider taking a guy who served during X years in a very technical MOS and knows a foreign language yet didn't get a college degree?

No. The degree requirement is just the first step for screening. But there are things that a degree will hopefully say about you, such as communication, writing, and research skills. Those are all applicable for both analysts and collectors/operations.
>>
>>32569729
Still need an education.
>>
>>32575488
Air Defense
>>
File: KC10A_8.jpg (45KB, 1171x722px) Image search: [Google]
KC10A_8.jpg
45KB, 1171x722px
>>32575488

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_operator_(US_military)

https://youtu.be/kC2LyLULKJE
>>
>>32575488
>What are some of the more underrated jobs in the US military?
Armorer apparently. Knew an armorer at my unit who was with 173rd for a few years and spent almost the entire time deployed saving up deployment bucks.
>>
>>32575535
Wow, that looks cool!
I don't know if my vision is up to par for flying though, so I haven't consider anything like that.
>>32575534
What do they do? pilots?
>>
>>32575561
>What do they do?
Kill pilots.
>>
>>32575561

>I don't know if my vision is up to par for flying though

You don't fly anything as a boom operator, you guide the boom into the refueling port while the pilots are flying the plane. Poor vision could be a detractor though.
>>
>>32561059
>more niggers
>>
I have anisometropia/amblyopia am I fucked?

I guess I'll head to see my eye doctor, I qualify for a Washington state drivers license, I can read fine etc but my vision with my right eye is massively shit and it can't really be corrected. I'm training it up right now.

I'm not sure which branch I want to try for, I imagine infantry and shit is absolutely off limits.

Also I'm right handed so I'd have to learn to shoot left handed. This is literally my only medical problem.
>>
If I'm horribly afraid of sharks is the navy bad for me? Is there some training in the ocean at all?
>>
>>32575635
My friend joined the navy over a year ago and he hasn't even seen a boat yet. Well, he lived in Bremerton before he joined so he lived within walking distance of the Bremerton Naval Shipyard but as a sailor he hasn't seen a boat yet. Unless you count their track field, I forget what they call it - S.S.Constitution or something, he's stationed in Illinois training as an FC.

He feels like its all a conspiracy and the Navies ships are all random buildings/track fields.
>>
File: NwcOB9.gif (2MB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
NwcOB9.gif
2MB, 320x256px
>>32575194
Bumping again for my questions.
>>
>>32573204
Basic will not prepare you for SOF selection. If you enlist thinking that, you're setting yourself up for failure. Those that have successfully made it through selection will have maxed the PT, and then some, before even enlisting

Yes, it is mostly mental, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be physically preparing like a motherfucker

8 months is enough time to do anything with your body, but be sure to not slack off. You'll be shocked how quickly 8 months turns to 3 months turns to a week, and you will come to the uncomfortable realization that you max out at 20 pushups
>>
>>32573204
Also, if you drop/quit/fail, you go needs of the Army. They give you a short list of what you qualify for and what they have slots in, and that's it
>>
>>32576529
Not the same guy;
Is 5-6 months enough to go from bad at PT (think 30 pushups, 4 pullups and mediocre cardio) to SOF material?
What kind of routine should I look at? I'm focusing on cardio for now with running and swimming and kind of neglecting the strength aspect.
>>
>>32576554
Yes, that's plenty of time. Use Google and find a routine that works for you. Military.com has some pretty good SOF preparations

Also, if you're still in high school, join an intense sport. Wrestling, lacrosse, football, etc. are all good as long as you don't get injured. Just don't do something gay like golf or soccer, use some common sense
>>
>>32576624
Alright, thanks.
>>
>>32575499
I seriously doubt memorizing molecular bond angles or protein structures is ever going to prove to be useful in anything outside of military R&D.
>>
>>32575406

Colleges individually evaluate what they think another institution's credits are worth. Some of my Cochise credits transfered just fine. Just depends where you go.
>>
Going to navy boot camp tomorrow, any advice?
>>
Need some advice, I'm looking to join the National Guard as a 25B (or someother MOS in the 25 series). I smoked weed a handful of times about 3-4 yrs ago and was wondering if I should tell my recruiter this, or just lie about it. Only a small group of people know that I've smoked (parents, and some friends).
>>
>>32572950
>>32574995
>>32575445
Ricky just wondering what pay grade are you and how long have you been in for?
>>32577096
Its easy as fuck. Youll be fine.
>>
>>32556816

What's going on, /meg/? I am trying to join the Navy as an intelligence officer, but I haven't the first clue about how to go about doing so. I have a degree in political science, although my GPA is not great as a result of personal shit going on in my life during college. I also have vision that is correctable to 20/10.

I have heard some questionable things about Philadelphia-area officer recruiters, however, and did not receive much information when I called them. I'm therefore thinking about trying to go through a center 2 hrs. away in Maryland. They seem very nice, level-headed, and willing to help. Is there any precedent for this, or will they just tell me to fuck off?
>>
>>32580261
>willing to help
>will they just tell me to fuck off
What?
>>
>>32575488
EOD always looked fun and high demand.
>>
File: 20170108_150114.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_150114.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
The day is finally here. Im about to board a plane for France to attempt to join the french foreign legion. Ill keep you guys updated.
>>
Just got out of boot camp friendos
Good to be back, what's been going on
>>
>>32580466

What branch?
>>
>>32580534
Marines
They gave my entire company RA and I go to ITB on the 31st this month so I have a lot of time to get fat
>>
>>32580552

Nice, west coast or east coast? I went through mcrdsd in 2009. I got nearly a month off of boot leave/RA as well. I know a guy who reenlisted that is currently an ITB Instructor at camp Geiger right now.
>>
>>32580276

Because I'm not from Maryland. Ie: Do you HAVE to be recruited through the state that you live in?
>>
>>32580642
Same here bro, San Diego, Charlie Company
And yeah how was your RA, it's hard for me to care about people to try and recruit them and I don't know if he'd stick me on official paperwork, what'd you do on RA
>>
>>32580698
RA was skate as fuck for me. I had from like Sept 3-30th and my recruiter had already met his quotas for that fiscal year (resets on Oct 1) so I wasnt pressured to recruit people at all. We did like an hour of PT most mornings and then if there was any paperwork that needed to be organized I did it, who rarely took more than an hour or two. Occasionally I would run errands to MEPS for him. Also a few trips to HIgh schools to talk to the seniors. Other than that we just hung out in the back room playing PS3 all day if there was nothing else that needed to be done.
>>
>>32580919
Ah fuck well this fiscal year is fucked for me, I shipped on oct. 11th and got home two days ago. Oh well, my recruiter likes me though so hopefully it shouldn't be too obnoxious
Did you EAS yet? I'm guessing yes
>>
>>32580977

Yeah I EASed may of 2013. Good luck at ITB. Its gonna suck during the winter.
>>
>>32581050
Thanks, and yeah I'm looking forward to leaving so I can get it the fuck over with along with the other month after for my specialty training
I just can't wait to get my four years over with man
What do you do now
>>
>>32581127

I am >>32580411 :^) just boarded. Ill check this thread when i land.
>>
Is cyber an interesting MOS?
Or is electronic warfare better?
>>
>>32581225
Fuck yeah bro, safe flight man, hope you know your french well enough
Check you later
>>
not really sure where to post this as i need advice urgently

basically i passed meps really good and was told to go home and wait for the ship out date. so i descided to celebrate with my buddies at the bar, but i stupidly ended ip getting in my car and driving me and my buddies back to mine long story short, i hit into a car coming the other way , and totalled it rolling it about twice through and garden and literally went through a fucking front window of a house!! i just got out of jail today (i told them i was a marine so they let me out without bail) with a xourt date, and ive been told that the other people arent in great shape to say the least nor are my buddies

in what way will this effect my military career? i havent actually told the military yet either. will this mean i will cant be in the marines??? this is really pissing me the fuck off as i always wanted to be a marine

what the fuck do i tell the militaty, any advice is really appreciated
>>
>>32581247

Cyber is going to be more interesting if you like working with software.
>>
>>32581508
Lol
>>
>>32569734
Is Urdu a designated language.
>inb4 poo in loo
>>
>>32581508
If the cops know it was you, you're fucked.
>>
>>32581508
God damn, you fool
This is why we get so many fucking briefs on stupid ass bogus ass shit
>>
>>32581508

You fucked up.
>>
Bm3 here with a year left. Got expeditionary side but its lame ass pog shit on a daily basis.

I dunno..fts bm's are undermanned and its only aggravating because this bracket is keeping me from cross rating to something better ie HM or GM.
Im pretty pissed, you have to rely on chance to get what you want and its never reliable.

Either way i gotta get ready to move on, any vetfags had any hurdles from joining their local PD's?
>>
File: Australia-Flag-Map.png (85KB, 1098x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Australia-Flag-Map.png
85KB, 1098x1024px
Any Shitposting Aussies who can tell me if you need to know Logs/Logarithms for the aptitude test to get in the Army?

Also if there are any other things to brush up on. I'm aware there is trigonometry and square roots etc. but what else is there?

Do you need to know Grammar? or Is there only Abstract reasoning and Mathematics?

Thanks
>>
>>32582192
>local PD's
Why the fuck would you wanna do that?

>>32581508
Was it your fault? Like were you drunk/high and you drove into their lane?
>>
If I got a Swastika tattoo on my scrotum will I be DQ'd?
>>
>>32582992
Cops are in high demand in the SF bay. Anywhere in california really. After some years on the street, do the border patrol thereafter
>>
>>32583309
>Bay area

How the hell could you live on a cops salary there with those housing prices?
>>
>>32581635
Yes
>>
>>32583309
>>32582192

My advice is diversify. Apply to multiple PDs as well as BP. PD and BP don't crossover so don't fall for the "I'll do a couple years of one and apply for the other later"-meme that permeates the west coast and southwest. If you get picked up for BP your options will be to stay in that lane or bounce over to Customs and if you get picked up by a PD most departments nationally will let you transfer over once you've got 3 to 5 years experience.
>>
Does anyone know what the difference between "National Agency Check, Local Agency Checks and Credit" and a Single Scope Background Investigation is and what they consist of?
>>
>>32584301
National is you getting fingerprints done and having it run against the FBI database, local is them calling/mailing a request everywhere you've lived and running your info by their records. If you don't know what a credit check is, you're beyond help. Google the SSBI, it's for getting clearances.
>>
>>32581508
Tell your recruiter what happened, then show him this post (or anything that you've written). He'll be so amazed that you've already taken the muhreen spelling and grammar class that he will forget about the wreck.
>>
Considering 68W in a National Guard infantry unit. Am I going to hate it? Stopped by their drill today and everyone seemed pretty cool.

At first I wanted 11B, but someone mentioned they send a ton of people to a two week school not at Benning to pick up the MOS, any truth to that? Never heard of it, but would be cool because I can go there instead of annual training.
>>
>>32575424
you do realize if you keep your mouth shut and tell the meps dr about how you got all torn up, as long as the story is buyable, you should still be able to get in.
>>
test
>>
Hi /meg/. Have enlisted in the Marines and ship out in march. my job field is aviation maintenance. Is it true if I do well enough in the job school that I can choose what I work on/where Im stationed? Also what should I expect in boot camp? Im kind of a skinny dude but I've put on a bit more mass since I swore in and entered the DEP. I can do around 10-12 pullups, 100 situps in 2 minutes, and I have around a 7 minute mile/ 12-13 minute mile and 1/2. I know boot camp is all mental but am I in a good place physically? Obviously I wont stop working out but I just want to know if another spot opened up sooner and I left then would I be fine as well?
>>
>>32580411
>>32581257

Finally made it to France. I'm jet lagged as fuck though. I think I've been up for about 30 hours straight. Can't wait to get to my hotel room and pass out.
>>
>>32587258
GL man, remember its like prison. Rape someone on your first day to establish your dominance.
>>
File: kil.png (730KB, 792x722px) Image search: [Google]
kil.png
730KB, 792x722px
Is there a way to tell if units are deploying soon, and/or when?

I'm about to join the MA NG as an 11b. My recruiter told me there are two infantry units in this state, the 181 and the 182. He explained that the 181 is deploying this year and even if I join now I won't get onboard.

The 182, however, 'might be slated to go' next year. If I join now I'll be in by that time. Apparently they were set to do some southeast asian thing but it got cancelled so now they're in some sort of limbo.

Look, I want that overseas (Middle Eastern) deployment. Is there anyway to tell which units in the MA Guard are most likely to go?

I asked my recruiter about Arty, since I hear they're over there, and he said they aren't in the line up.

Any guidance is welcome
>>
>>32587419
One thing I can tell you is if you want a deployment and you keep bugging the right people about it, they'll find you one. Even if they have to attach you to an active unit.
>>
File: IMG_0242.png (225KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0242.png
225KB, 2400x2400px
>>32563763
Last try
>>
File: sweatinghardcore.jpg (99KB, 426x341px) Image search: [Google]
sweatinghardcore.jpg
99KB, 426x341px
>tfw 2 days long tests next week
I hope I'm ready
>>
>>32563763
>>32587611
No it wont, are those 12K loans student loans or other loans? Are you working towards paying them? Have they defaulted?
>>
>>32587611
Going in with student debt is not uncommon, 12k isn't outrageously high so it shouldn't get you any problems unless you're missing payments and have really bad credit.
>>
>>32587486

Interesting. Even as a brand-new 11b E-4? What would the process be like?
>>
>>32563763
for you
>>
How often do recruiters know nothing about how to properly fill out the SF86 for a TS, because my recruiters instructions have directly contradicted the SF86s own instructions twice now.
>>
>>32588611
Put it this way, they rarely fill out TS clearances because most of their recruits are groundpounders and 88mikes
>>
>>32588624
>tfw a fellow DEPer apperently followed his instructions and placed her home as her address throughout college instead of her dorm as well.

How fucked do you think she is?
>>
Daily reminder to atleast know what MOS you are before you ship out.
>>
File: 1401850427079.jpg (12KB, 197x220px) Image search: [Google]
1401850427079.jpg
12KB, 197x220px
>>32589662
>mfw kids have to be reminded about this
>>
>>32589662
about to to ship to Bennington today and one of the guys on the bus to the airport needed to check what his MOS was because he forgot it. Thank god I will never see these fuckers again, none of them are infantry
>>
>>32589213
Nah she's is fine that's what I did and either no one noticed or no one cared
>>
>>32590562
Were your investigators the trench coat and sunglasses type or relatively normal?
>>
Royal Air Force question; what are the sight requirements for RPAS? I have minor astigmatism in my right eye, but can wear corrective lenses, would this be allowed? The website is pretty much telling me to go ask a recruiter since they can't be arsed to keep it up to date with their policies.
>>
>>32590743
Investigators? The only time your residence matters is MEPS and there are no investigations then. They ask you questions but most of the questions are asked by medical personal a final you sure?From who ever swears you in
>>
Just got back from my test ASVAB and got an 85. Am I a total retard for still wanting to go into combat arms in the army?
>>
Does a medical involve taking my underwear off? Should I shave my bodyhair before joining?
>>
>>32591446
>>32590743
>>32590562
The anon was talking about TS investigations, which are a lot more thorough than the standard background checks at MEPS. MEPS background checks aren't much more than running a check for a criminal record or electronic record of hospitalization.

TS investigations are done by Office of Personnel Management. They actually go the full mile combing through your records, and interviewing people beyond your baseline references. They actually do go and talk to your old neighbors, friends of friends, coworkers and such.

It's not uncommon for people to make honest mistakes on TS paperwork, and there are followup interviews throughout the investigation period where OPM will ask about discrepancies. As long as it doesn't seem like anything is extraordinarily out of order, a few mistakes here and there won't deny a clearance, but they can prolong the investigation. A normal TS investigation takes about a year, but I've seen them take up to two years, which can seriously screw up somebody's training pipeline while they wait for the investigation to clear.
>>
>>32591494
make sure to jerk yourself hard before you go into the doctor for penis inspection, that way you won't have to be worried about them thinking you have a small dick if you walk in with a flaccid dick
>>
Currently scheduled to ship out for Air Force BMT in a month. I signed the contract even though I wasn't happy about the job (Security Forces) because my recruiter told me I had to accept the contract I was given or I just couldn't enlist. Later I asked him if there was any way to get out of my contract and he said if I took the DLAB and scored well enough he would get me a linguist contract.

Just got back from MEPS after scoring a 110 on the test, and now the cunt is saying that I'm not allowed to switch contracts period and there's no way out if it (which I know is bullshit and I can just not show up on my ship date). If I call his bluff and tell him I won't ship, I assume he won't work with me anymore. Is it likely that I could get in by another recruiter, even one of a different branch, or can he stop me from enlisting at all?
>>
Sideline clearance question. If I go in now without a need for any sort of clearance, then come across the need for a TS later, will they go off my MEPS stuff or a fresh SF86?

Going into the guard now, MOS doesn't need clearance, thinking about going active down the line or maybe commission.
>>
>>32591622
It will be a fresh one.
>>
>>32591608
I was worried about failing the PATs, but thanks for the advice!
>>
File: 1483443178893.jpg (150KB, 761x960px) Image search: [Google]
1483443178893.jpg
150KB, 761x960px
>>32591652
Thanks mate.
>>
>>32591620
You -can- refuse to take the job stating you want to wait for a linguist slot or something else, but he can retaliate and have you discharged from the DEP. You have a year to wait around in the DEP or can request an early discharge. That could take a few weeks, then you're free to go to another branch, and they most likely won't care. but if you try to go to a different AF guy in the same regional recruiting command they'll probably blackball you, or someone will recognize you at MEPs.
>>
>>32591479
I'm a 98 infantryman you will be fine
>>
File: 4W647QM.png (489KB, 701x463px) Image search: [Google]
4W647QM.png
489KB, 701x463px
Are the drug questions at MEPS associated with any sort of time frame? Or is it "what illegal drugs have you used in your life, and how many times?"
>>
All I hear from ex-infantry is about how boring it is. Every day is just cleaning toilets and mowing grass. If you put in the effort to make SOF is the quality of life better? Do SOF guys have to put up with the same daily routine when not deployed?

Not a CODfag, only reason I'm interested in trying SOF is that I'm hoping they aren't janitors. I've been trying to research this but I always read the same bullshit

>Guy asks about MARSOC
>"Focus on becoming a marine first"
>MARSOC only accepts E-4 which you won't get during first enlistment
>"BTW being a marine fucking sucks everyone leaves after first enlistment"

So what's the deal? Is MARSOC (or any other SOF) a reprieve from the bullshit or just a reward for continuing to put up with it?
>>
File: 1480882422348.jpg (113KB, 468x714px) Image search: [Google]
1480882422348.jpg
113KB, 468x714px
>>32592202
why not try something you can actually learn from?

try something you might challenge yourself and your brain instead of eating crayons?
>>
>>32592189
"What illegal drugs are there a papertrail of you having used?"
>>
>>32592231

Thanks for not providing a straight answer just like everyone else. I already know standard infantry sucks, but I'd be willing to put up with it if you eventually get to graduate pre-school.

I would consider any other MOS if I could actually find out what daily life is like for SOF.
>>
File: laststand.png (2MB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
laststand.png
2MB, 2000x1000px
>>32592262
I get the whole "if there's no papertrail it didn't happen" stuff, but from what I understand it becomes a more serious issue if there are discrepancies between your initial enlistment records and your SF-86 for a TS clearance (which actually has investigative work done on it).
>>
File: Let Us Hope.jpg (83KB, 830x616px) Image search: [Google]
Let Us Hope.jpg
83KB, 830x616px
>>32592269
what i mean by challenging yourself is like a mechanic job, or MI. Infantry. any other combat MOS is boring as fuck if you dont get deployed. even the 14 series is interesting but it has no civilian counter part
>>
So how likely is it for me to enlist in the beautiful Chair Force and become a Canine Handler? Is there a better branch for animal type of stuff? Was also looking into the Navy Emergency Response and such and that doesn't seem like too bad a of a job, anyone got any thought on it?
>>
>>32592202
Go recon.
>>
>>32592381
Are you recon? Can you give some insight into their daily lives?
>>
>>32592474
Fuck no, can't swim so good. My buddy is in a reserve recon unit, he loves it. They have a decent budget and school slots, so he goes to high speed shit relatively often, their drills are sweet too, 4-day weekends with jumping and diving. Back when MARSOC was getting stood up a lot of reserve guys went to selection and got active duty orders, apparently the recon community was hurting for guys a little bit.

Can't really speak about the active side, so here is what I do know, keep in mind that it's mostly secondhand knowledge. Before MARSOC, these were pretty much the top tier guys. There are two types, or levels, of recon: battalion and force. Battalion is where you'll most likely end up as a fresh guy, they generally just come straight from BRC and maybe get airborne/dive along the way. Still have to deal with typical big unit stuff, but not quite as much grunt BS. Generation Kill follows the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion. In these battalions is the force recon company, the baddest dudes, and are special operations capable, so they need to be airborne/dive qual'd then go to all the other stuff. When they're aren't doing large unit exercises or whatever, I would assume recon platoons get assigned to MEU's or task forces or whatever the hell they call them.

You can get a recon contract, go to boot, a few weeks at infantry school, then split off to BRC and it's prep school. So the initial training isn't as long as some SOF pipelines, but it put's you into a much better position to go for things like scout sniper or MARSOC selection later. If I wasn't a shit swimmer, I would have went that route instead, reserves at least.
>>
>>32592202
If you wanna into MARSOC, Recon is the way to go. Idk why you would do that though when literally every other branch has a better entry SOF(I know Recon ain't SOF, but it's close enough) and won't make you want to an hero. Just makes no fuggin sense desu senpai
>>
>>32592202
SOF doesn't ever pull rock washing duty. However, it can be just as tedious. Infantry is 9 to five just like every other MOS. SOF ain't like that. A Ranger once said "you ever see an xbox in our barracks? People don't have the damn time, they're too busy either sleeping, training, or fucking." SOF doesn't get enough time to do anything, it's a very challenging life, but hey, at least you don't have to sweep the sandpit or some shit like that
>>
>>32592345
If you want to be a doggo handler in air force you basically need to join security forces and after 18 months you can apply for canine. I think competition is pretty tough. So yeah. Be prepared that you might spend the whole time as regular sec.
>>
>>32592859
>Idk why you would do that though when literally every other branch has a better entry SOF(I know Recon ain't SOF, but it's close enough) and won't make you want to an hero

Can you elaborate? My interest in MARSOC comes from it not having a contract option. Seems like it might be more grown up or something since you have to put in some time before getting to try out. Feel free to red pill me on the Marine route though.
>>
What Is the Air Force munitions/command post jobs like?
>>
>>32556913
I love how this gets posted in literally every thread, but it never fails to generate POG tears every time. Wartime infantry best MOS.
>>
Does being in AFQT category I with no degree have any distinct advantages or do you get fucked and placed into just as many shitty jobs as Juan from California?
>>
File: 1483383365867.jpg (340KB, 1613x908px) Image search: [Google]
1483383365867.jpg
340KB, 1613x908px
>>32593327
The only thing the ASVAB is good for is opening up MOSes that require you to be not-completely-retarded. There's a couple of oppourtunities after you're past boot that might require ASVAB scores, but those aren't terribly common. Once you graduate though, it's 100% rank. Being a smart PFC means you're still a dumbfuck private and you have pretty much no recourse against a shitdick SSGT or LT who wants to put you in your place (the dirt) for petty and stupid reasons.

You still have to pass BCT and MOS training, though and get your preferred MOS in the contract. GET IT IN YOUR FUCKING CONTRACT.

Open contracts are like waggling your naked ass at a sailor and saying "I trust you." You gonna get fucked, and it's probably not going to be in the way you like.
>>
>>32593327
There's only like a handful of enlisted jobs that actually require a degree, and most aren't open to non-prior service.
>>
>>32593279
Skate pretty much. Ammo usually has time for study. Munitions control (which by your post is what I think you mean) is easy enough and your shops in CONUS will be comfy.

Inventory, maintain, inspect, deliver boomy things to flightline. Take them back if not expended.

f16.net and www.afforums.com would be good places to get more detail. Post the actual AFSC(s) you are considering.

I was a maintainer so I only dealt with them occasionally.
>>
File: image.png (328KB, 1306x5702px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
328KB, 1306x5702px
>>32593278
MARSOC is pretty unique. The best way I can think to describe it is the personality of the Special Forces(silent professional type, significantly more mature than non SOF, and slightly moreso than other SOF purely because of the average age) with the open combat capability close(ish) to the Rangers with the direct action of the SEALs and with a moderate amount of the clandestine and civvie uniform of Delta/DEVGRU. They obviously also have the raid capability and a backround of maratime specialty by virtue of being made up of mostly former Recon Marines.

While it sounds cool to have such a large range of specialties, but because they aren't as focused as other SOF units they end up getting used less often.

For example, if you need an airfield taken or a house raided, SOCOM uses the Rangers.

Need to collect to the locals? Special Forces.

Boat taken by hostiles? Why waste MARSOC? Just send Force Recon.

Need SEAL stuff done? Send the SEALs, those MARSOC boys will bungle it.

Anything clandestine? Send DEVGRU or Delta.

Tl;dr- Marines always get the short end of the stick. Other SOF get more focused training, better equipment, and aren't hazed during basic.

Take it with a very generous handful of salt, as some are outright jokes, but use pic related to give you a general idea of what different SOF do and what you would like to look more into. Air Force PJ's and CCT's aren't there, but that's it
>>
Leaving for Air Force basic in like a week. any advice?
>>
>>32565865
suicide is the only option
>>
Do option 40 contracts re-up with the fiscal year?

Little blog post: I am a senior in HS, and want to join the Regiment. I talked to a recruiter a couple days ago about it, and he says they don't. He then tried to push me towards 19D, 13F, and 68W with that very enticing opt 40, which is why I doubt that he's telling the truth about opt 40 re-ups, and is just trying to get me enlisted ASAP. The 68W option 40 sounds like a good second choice, but I'd rather be an 11B Ranger. I've looked elsewhere for the answer, but couldn't get a consistent yay or nay. I'm plenty patient and can wait for it if necessary
>>
>>32594040
This is very informative, thanks.

I understand that MARSOC and the Marines in general are currently going through an identity crisis. Any chance the political bullshit could get sorted out in the next 4 years or should I just get as far away as I can?
>>
>>32594272
Yes, but it still depends on manning levels.

Say they authorize 1,000 more opt 40 contracts for the year, but they only need a handful, they won't release them all, because they could potentially inundate the regiment. So every month, and week, regiment will say they need x amount of new guys, and recruiting command will throw a certain amount of contracts out there and it's first served to grab them. It's all luck, but the fiscal year brings better chances.

Ranger medics are some of the best in SOCOM, just something to think about.
>>
>>32593390
>Open contracts are like waggling your naked ass at a sailor and saying "I trust you." You gonna get fucked, and it's probably not going to be in the way you like.

Oh dear lord I'm dying
>>
>>32594327
It's going to take a long time to establish a special operations unit in the Corps, as they've had no real experience with Special Operations. Sure they've had Recon, but that doesn't really count because Recon has been abused and locked in the closet for most of it's life. For example, the SEALs had the UDT's as a base, Special Forces had the British commandos. But the Marines have based their entire branch on the "no elite Marine" ideology to get drooling retards into dumbfuck MOS's like 1171 by telling them they're special. This isn't a professional opinion, but I'd say it's 50/50 that MARSOC fixes it's shit in the next 4 years
>>
>>32594367
Thanks for the info, glad I could finally get a straight answer
>>
What's the saluting etiquette between police officers and enlisted active duty? My assumption is that police are treated as civilians.
>>
>>32594040
>>32594327
>>32594646
MARSOC has been around for a decade and has headed SOTFs successfully, their mission and capabilities are also well defined. Overlap among the different SOF units is good for rotational deployment. Force Recon was always capable, but they had no seat at SOCOM and thus, did not get tasking.

Please quit parroting the misinformed.
>>
>>32594699
If you get pulled over and show the cop,your CAC (military id card) you are for sure getting a ticket.
>>
Hello, I'm looking for advice. I scored a 94 on my ASVAB, and all of my line scores look fantastic. I pretty much qualify for all jobs in the military (including nuke tech). What would be the best MOS to join in as, and what branch, if I'm only looking to stay in for about 8 years? I'm interested in computers and cyber security, but honestly haven't payed attention to any other branches outside of the Army
>>
>>32595000
Marines. General Infantry.
>>
>>32594766
>>32594646
>>32594327
Do either of you have any sources or is this all Wikipedia and postulating?
>>
>>32595022
10/10 laughed my ass off seeing that. No other life except infantry I suppose?
>>
>>32594699

There's no reason for them to salute each other unless it's part of some organized event.
>>
File: mobile-infantry.jpg (80KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
mobile-infantry.jpg
80KB, 1024x576px
>>32595040
If you only want 8 years, I have no idea what you should take. I'd pick something that interests me and see if it's something I can stick with.

Or has value among pmc's. It's really up to you.

I'd avoid Marines and Army altogether for anyone period. And the Air Force is run by Pilots. After you've interacted with enough pilots, you'll understand why that bears saying. Navy only if you don't mind spending half your service in a room with no windows.
>>
>>32595000

>Wants to do cyber

Army 17C or Navy CTN.

The Army is probably going to give you more training, but the Navy will treat you better.
>>
>>32595030
http://www.globalrecon.net/articles/2015/8/27/marsoc-to-lead-joint-spec-ops-fight-against-isis

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/03/24/marines-form-dominant-presence-in-iraq-in-fight-against-isis.html

Also take a look at the books by Michael Golembesky, detailing the rotation of an MSOT in Afghanistan 2009 to see what team level tasking is like; training up ANA and doing raids/COIN.
>>
>>32595113
I'm open to doing more years, if I like the work. I'm just not sure if I will.... I'm indecisive as hell
>>32595187
Thanks I'll look into these a little bit
>>
>>32594766
The Raiders are rarely the center of an operation. They turn out excellent members of task forces though. All other SOF have their special skills, but having a jack of all trades can be useful, and a MARSOC operator would make a good member of any SOF team just because of the wide range of skill sets. However, it's impractical to give a MARSOC operator the same level and depth of training and experience in any of their fields than it is to use a different member of SOCOM that specializes in that job

>>32595030
Wikipedia is pretty rigorous about sources nerd, and will mark edits not obviously or provably right or wrong as dubious
>>
>>32593432
Thank you very much.
Can anyone of appropriate rank become an MTI? If I want to be an MTI within my AF career, does classification matter or can you put in the paperwork/request once you reach E4?
>>
>>32595113
>>32595211

Most people in cyber don't do more than the minimum obligation. The money is too good on the outside to fuck around in the military longer than you have to.
>>
>>32595271
Your ignorance is showing, MARSOC isn't just a bunch of operators, although CSOs are the core member. EOD, corpsmen, JTACs, intel, commo, mechanics etc. all can go to selection and get on a MSOT as a SOCS or SOCS-Ss. It's no different than any 18 series specialty or the multitude of MOSs in the 75th. If anything it proves to be more diverse than the average SEAL platoon.

Here's an extreme case:

http://www.marsoc.marines.mil/News/News-Article-Display/Article/908143/marsoc-veterinarian-receives-army-veterinary-corps-exceptional-officer-service/

And here's an excellent read on the run-up to when and why MARSOC was developed and what capabilities they were to have.

https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=27734
>>
>>32595495
>>32595200
Y'all win. I was clearly wrong about most of the MARSOC info, but I'm going to stand by the other SOF info. Despite the fact that MARSOC has a clearly defined role, other units have a more concise way to apply and enter as you can get it in your contract, and it doesn't come with the shenanigans of being a Marine. So, guy who was looking into MARSOC: ask them, but be absolutely sure that it is what you want to do, because while the tedium of non SOF will not apply, alot of the other branch specific bullshit may to a greater or lesser extent
>>
So I've been studying for the ASVAB using pic related and I've been looking at jobs in nearly all the branches. Here's what I have so far and I have some questions after.

>Army Enlisted Cyber Soldier
They report to CYBER COMMAND, mainly interested because it sounds like I'll be able to do some cool stuff and maybe I'll learn to better protect myself from the military/government stopping me from dling my chinese cartoons. Also I'll be able to say my job is TOP SECRET.

>military programming jobs
programming is cool but I'm bad at it right now

>Navy job on a submarine
Subs are fucking cool and I'd like to learn how to do server admin stuff

>Network/Communications
computers are cool.

>Military finance/jew job where you look at military spending

>Army/Marine/Navy quartermaster/logistics job

I've always had a hard on for being a part of the supply chain

Pretty much the only jobs I don't want are engineering jobs where you have to work and maintain heavy equipment/vehicles because fuck that I don't even like cars or vehicles that aren't MECHS.

Do they have military jobs relating to tracking the meme war with ISIS? Like tracking and taking out ISIS facebook groups and shit?

I don't really want to be stationed in the US. I'd like to be stationed on a foreign base where I'm free to meme and play D&D with my fellow soldiers during weekends.
>>
>>32596107
>studying with pic related
>no pic
Anon, maybe computer related jobs aren't for you.

As far as study in general, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Know some pre-calculus, know some computer vocabulary, and be able to identify some engine components and you'll get in the 90's.

I don't even remember the math being difficult. I think the only thing I refreshed myself on were how to find the geometric mean in order to work with proportions.

>if a ladder is 10ft and the building is 9ft tall, how tall would the ladder need to be if the building was 19ft tall
Stuff like that but I don't remember a specific example. That's some fun stuff on the asvab I wasn't expecting.
>>
File: testprep.jpg (48KB, 385x499px) Image search: [Google]
testprep.jpg
48KB, 385x499px
>>32596107
heres the pic, derp.
>>
>>32596101
I agree with you there, sucks that every other SOF you can get contracted to go to their selection school. Minus the spooky stuff like Delta, and the 160th, but you can drop an application for the 160th at AIT.
>>
>>32596184
I took the asvab my first time after not being in school for about 9 years and scored in the 90's qualifying for nuclear fields. Never studied for it.

It's not a very hard test. If you got B's or higher in high school I'd imagine you'd have no trouble on it.
>>
>>32596107
I can't speak to the tech jobs or Navy stuff, but if you want to be OCONUS your off time is generally going to be more restrictive.

I got into logistics after the military, and we have had a bunch of guys come in from that background and do great work though. Warehouse managers, analysts, automation, etc are good shit. Just get your degree and you'll be competitive on the civilian side, don't know if you'll get any certs while in, but they help too.

Also nobody likes the dick waving about having a clearance.
>>
>>32596178

>As far as study in general, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Know some pre-calculus, know some computer vocabulary, and be able to identify some engine components and you'll get in the 90's.

The ASVAB isn't really the hurdle if anon wants to do hardcore computer shit in the military. Some of the secondary and tertiary training can be pretty hard.
>>
>>32596229
Thats what I've heard. I need to lose weight for a few months so I might as well study though and make sure. Something something "“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail” something something “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe” something something “Unfortunately, there seems to be far more opportunity out there than ability.... We should remember that good fortune often happens when opportunity meets with preparation”.
>>
>>32596259
I work as a stocker at a Gas Station right now and I actually really enjoy it. I mean what I do at work is more manual labor stuff but I just like supply chain stuff. In my off time I play games like Minecraft, OpenTTD, EVE Online etc because I need my management and distribution autism.
>>
File: image.jpg (124KB, 514x363px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 514x363px
What's a good job in the Air Force/Army for someone who doesn't know what they want yet?
>>
I don't get it, I just wanted to talk about tattoos and i get banned why?
>>
>>32587929
>>32588006
It is all federal student loans. Haven't started paying yet, or defaulted.
>>
My eyesight is shit so I got a few questions;

>what are the issued glasses like (USMC)
>can you wear contacts after basic
>when can i get prk
>>
>>32595113
>value among pmc's
Aside from infantry, what else is there?
>>
>>32597427
MP/Security Forces/CID, intel, corpsman/combat medic as well for security stuff. SOF for executive/close protection. Intel, logistics, literally anything technical for all the other stuff.
>>
>>32596348
So do it if it makes you happy.
>>
>>32575424
Was at the recruiting office and all the recruiters were baffled by new regulations which are easing up and allowing a ton of previously DQ red flags to be waived (potentially). They were talking about self mutilation being one of those. I'd give it a shot anyways
>>
>>32561344
Army does have m1a2 Abrams while marines only has the m1a1 though
>>
>>32597492
For what kid of job that isn't security would a pmc hire former intel?
>>
>>32556816

Good morning folks.

I have the opportunity to attend a four year university and the ROTC.

I'm not proud of it. I know I'll be essentially middle management butter bar piece of shit out if I make my commission, but I need to pay for college, and I would like to serve my country.

I have a strong understanding of history, language, culture and I'm a good writer in terms composition skills and analytics, basically working with people and data.

At least, that's what the aptitude tests stated.

Looking at that, I thought a HUMINT job would be right up my alley, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.
>>
>>32598209

>not being proud of getting an education

I think you underestimate the number of marginal people in the military who barely get by.

If you do a good job you have nothing to worry about. Just prepared to get shit on for it.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.