[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i just got pic related in the mail today black powder thread i guess

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: black powder 1851 navy.png (149KB, 778x472px) Image search: [Google]
black powder 1851 navy.png
149KB, 778x472px
i just got pic related in the mail today

black powder thread i guess
>>
>>32555974
Felons don't deserve guns.

If you can't pass a background check then you obviously should not be trusted with a firearm felon.
>>
>>32555974
>pain in the ass
>filthy
fine as wall hangers or maybe to shoot once or twice with your kids.
>>
File: cheap bait.png (333KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
cheap bait.png
333KB, 500x450px
>>32556014
>>
>>32556014

but im not a felon

i have a few centerfire firearms
>>
>>32555974
Nice, I got me a Pietta 1858 for Christmas and I've already shot 200+ balls through it. Black powder is fun as fuck, and definitely not as messy as people make it out to be.
>>
>>32556014
Yeah, you worried someone is going to rob a bank with flintlock pistols, pirate style? If youre worried someone is too violent to exercise a basic human right, why let him out of prison to begin with?
>>
>>32555974
anybody have a cartridge conversion? how weak of bullets do you have to use?
>>
>>32556268
>Yeah, you worried someone is going to rob a bank with flintlock pistols, pirate style?
Maybe not a single shot flintlock, but remington 1858 is no joke if you know your shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kqEgijuCu4
A .44 round lead ball shot from 8" barrel is comparable to anything from .38 special to light-end .357 depending on the load.
>>
>>32556239

do you have to put grease on the front of the cylinder?
>>
>>32556707
>have to
no but you should
>>
>>32556716

to prevent chainfires?

isnt the 58 a .44? because mine is .44 and pietta saysto shoot 12-15 grains of powder, but is it safe to shoot up to 30 grain?

>will my gun kb if i charge it to twice the recommended charge
>>
>>32556707
>>32556716
What I'm going to say is pretty controversial but putting the grease on top does next to nothing in my experience. You should put it under the ball.

A common misconception is that grease on top of the ball is going to prevent chainfires, which is simply not true. If you use undersized balls or have a powder grain crushed between the ball and the cylinder wall you will get a chainfire regardless. As long as the ball is a tight feat and the cylinder walls are clean before you seat the ball in there is literally no way to get a chainfire whatsoever. Wads are handy both to sweep the cylinder walls clean and to separate the powder from the grease if you out it under the ball.

The only function of grease is to soften the residue and slown down its accumulation.

Putting the grease on top means almost all of it is blown out after the shot and you get next ot nothing nothing out of it. Putting it behind the ball leaves the barrel with a nice trail of grease.

If you want a more in-depth explanation check this

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps3.html

If you odn't believe me I reccomend you try both methods and see what works better for you.
>>
>>32556807
>tight feat
fit*
>>
>>32556784
>isnt the 58 a .44?
.36, .44 and there is also a .31 pocket model.

>because mine is .44 and pietta saysto shoot 12-15 grains of powder
12-15 is a pretty light load.

>but is it safe to shoot up to 30 grain?
Generaly it's safe to shot any amount of powder out of black powder firearms, you could take a musket, fill the whole barrel with powder and it would still be safe to shoot. I think Iraqveteran8888 made a video about it.

The reason being that if you put too much powder, it's simply isn't going to burn all the way.

Now I'm saying generally because I heard brass frames are far weaker but I don't have any experience with them. Is your frame brass or steel?

>>will my gun kb if i charge it to twice the recommended charge
No. Even with a brass frame it would take a lot of shooting to break it.

If it's steel you can go full retard. Just don't put your fingers in front of the cylinder in case you get a chainfire.
>>
>>32556867
> I think Iraqveteran8888 made a video about it.
Found it, starting at 3:06.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en384qVqrug
>>
>>32556807
>>32556867

I'm pretty sure this guy posts in every black powder thread on /k/. He knows his shit, I've followed the same advice he posted in an earlier thread and it's improved the performance of my uberti 1860
>>
>>32556867

id assume beacuse it s a brass frame (as opposed to a steel frame) the lighter load would be less stressful for it.

and yeah i saw the video where eric and kevin filed up the musket with powder and it just blew it out.

whats a good powder that wont corrode my pistol?
>>
>>32556935

Have you tried pyrodex? Also you don't really need to worry about corrosion so long as you clean your gun after shooting. They aren't difficult to dissasemble by any means. Certainly easier than say, a 1911
>>
>>32556968

>pyrodex

you mean like the pellets?

and i havent shot my gun yet, i literally just got it 4 hours ago
>>
>>32556935
>whats a good powder that wont corrode my pistol?
Doesn't really matter. I'm not from US so I shoot real black powder, as far as I know Pyrodex is easier to get in US.

Pyrodex is said to be less corrosive overall but I shot it a few times and I can say there is more fouling in many hard to reach to reach places when compared to real black powder.

Just get whatever is easiest to get. Ideally you want to clean it right after you get home and everything will be fine. Try not to leave it dirty for more than a day.
>>
>>32556976

It comes in pellets and powder yes. You should use less of it than you would black powder though as it burns faster and is higher pressure
>>
>>32556988
>You should use less of it than you would black powder though
They are the same when measured by volume. As long as you use grains there is no difference.

That said Pyrodex compresses more. You can put about 35 grains of Pyrodex and only 30 grains of real black powder in a .44 1858, including the ball.
>>
>>32556807
What's your thoughts on this dudes writeup?
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackpowder/comments/55tikt/1000_30_35_40_grain_rounds_fired_through_pietta/
>>
>>32557178
Well he does seem to know what he's talking about.

I can't really speak about Pietta quality or even 1851s because I only own Uberti 1858.I did handle Pietta guns a few times and I didn't like them very much because they are a little bigger than Uberti replicas. This is not necessarily a flaw though, probably just preference.

As far as quality goes Pietta is good- some people consider Uberti to be a little better or vice versa but both companies are pretty much equally good and worth the price. Pedersoli is the best but their guns will cost you an arm and a leg, they are made for competition.

Regarding brass frames, I can't say much because I don't own one either, precisely because I didn't know what might happen and because steel frames are not that much more expensive. All the effort/money required to tighten the gap doesn't seem bo be worth it.

Also keep in mind every gun is different, you never know if yours is worse than average until something breaks in it.

The hand spring in my revoler (pic related, it's the part that rotates the cylinder) broke off after few trips to the range and lots of dry fire practice (and a few retard spins, I know better now).

I tried to replace it with a bend piece of a bobby pin and it worked quite well for a little while but it broke off again so I decided to just buy a new one. The cylinder timing was off with the new one, I had to file it a little and it worked like a charm ever since.

Point is every gun is different. If you bough a brass frame already you might want to examine it after each trip to the range and check for any deformities or if the gap is getting wider.
>>
>>32556268
>If youre worried someone is too violent to exercise a basic human right, why let him out of prison to begin with?
Joseph Arapio did nothing wrong.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (8KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
8KB, 225x169px
>>32557401
pic
>>
>>32556014
Why the felon assumption? Lots of non-felons enjoy firing old-school BP revolvers.
>>
>>32556014

>Felons don't deserve guns

GTFO Feinstein, you've committed at least one today.
>>
>>32556014

Guess liberals are right and we need to ban all guns because NOBODY OBEYS THE LAW IN AMERICA.
>>
Best kept secret for removing fowling is hydrogen peroxide. Cuts through carbon like no one's business.

I briefly owned an uberti 1858 carbine that was drop dead sexy and I think I'm going to buy one again if I don't purchase a hawken of inline muzzleloader. Currently I have a pietta 1858
>>
>>32556014
Yea, up yours pal
>>
>>32556014
First post in this thread too, huh? You're a busy bee tonight mr. ATF.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.