[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NJ Resident Here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: new-jersey-state-clipart-1 (1).png (8KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
new-jersey-state-clipart-1 (1).png
8KB, 480x480px
I'm trying to read and understand the gun laws (and knife laws, etc.) of my state, but I can't seem to follow.

Can someone please explain to me how to legally obtain a gun, what guns I can get, how I can go about carrying them outside my house, and what other weapons I can obtain in my state?
>>
>>32553357

Former NJ resident here. I never owned a gun while I was there, but my brother did. So I'm gonna try to go on what I can remember. I could be wrong on some of this.

>how to legally obtain a gun
I think you might have to possibly go to your local police station or maybe even nearest court house/building to file for a license.
>what guns I can get
Anything that isn't an automatic. Though with pistols, you're going to need a separate license for every one you have. If just rifles, you need only one and you can have as many as you want.
>how I can go about carrying them outside my house
Securely I'd imagine. If say you have some kind of sleeve/pouch things for them, then that might be okay. But if you mean like having them on you while about your every day activities than forget it. Open and concealed carry are illegal in NJ as far as I know.
>and what other weapons I can obtain in my state?
Like what? I don't know about explosives but I'd imagine they would not fly.

If any more knowledgable /k/ommandos are about than please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on anything.
>>
File: 1435008716.png (75KB, 252x326px) Image search: [Google]
1435008716.png
75KB, 252x326px
>>32553357
promo code 'friend', come out for free.

http://www.gunlawseminar.com/calendar/
>>
File: 1439608571114.jpg (218KB, 926x771px) Image search: [Google]
1439608571114.jpg
218KB, 926x771px
>>32553357
To buy long guns (rifles and/or shotguns) in NJ you must:

Possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchasers Identification Card (FPID card)

To obtain an FPID card you must:

Be at least 18 years of age

Be a resident of the United States

Be a resident of the state of New Jersey

NOT have been convicted of an unexpurgated violent crime, drug crime, or felony

NOT be dependent on the use of narcotics or illicit drugs

NOT be an alcoholic (recovering alcoholics are exempt)

NOT have been involuntarily confined to a mental institution or have been otherwise adjudicated mentally deficient

NOT possess a physical disability which would make it unsafe to handle a firearm

You must apply for an FPID card through your local police department, to do so you must:

1 . Go to your local police station and retrieve the necessary information

Your police department may provide you with a packet containing all the forms and information you'll need, however many smaller departments don't. The most important pieces of information you will need to know are theOriginating Agency Number(which consists of the letters NJ followed by a 7 digit number) and theContributor’s Case Number(which is usually a combination of your last name, and the initials of your towns police department). These are the two numbers you absolutely need.

2 . Get fingerprinted

To get fingerprinted, you must fill out theNew Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form. For firearms licensing, the Statute Number field will be 2C:58-1 THRU 4.1 and the Document Type will be B1. You will also fill in those two number you got from your police department from the previous step. Next, schedule an appointment with the third party biometrics company Identigo atthis website. You will have to pay online at the time of scheduling. You will also need to bring a state issued photo ID to the appointment. Once complete you will be given a receipt of the fingerprinting. DO NOT LOSE THIS!
>>
>>32554130
Cont.
3 . Fill out all the forms

You will now need to complete the following forms. TheApplication for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit form(You will need 2 copies!) and theConsent to Mental Health Records Search(DO NOT SIGN THIS YET! Just fill out all the information, it has to be signed in front of an officer). Your police department may have also provided you with supplemental forms they desire you fill out.

On the Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card form you will need to list the “Names, Addresses and Telephone Numbers of two reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than relatives”. It is a good idea to vet your references prior to listing them on the application to assure that they're pro-gun.

IMPORTANT NOTE: submitting false information on any of these forms is considered perjury and punishable as a criminal offence.

4 . Visit your police department again.

Call your local police department and ask for detective’s office, schedule an appointment with a detective. If your local detective's office is not reachable by phone you may need to drive down to your police department and schedule an appointment in person. After this, attend said appointment, and hand him all your forms. At this time you will need to sign the Consent to Mental Health Records Search form in front of him (make sure this happens!), he will need to co-sign as a witness.

Some large police departments have dedicated "Permit Officers" or "Firearms Officers" assigned with the intake of FPID card applications. If that is the case, simply make an appointment with them instead and proceed as you would otherwise. Most importantly make sure an officer witnesses you signing the Consent to Mental Health Records Search form and signs as a witness.
>>
>>32554138
Cont.
5 . Wait

After submitting all your forms, 3 separate backgrounds checks are run on you. A normal NICS check, an “investigation” by the NJ state police, and an “investigation” by your local police. There is no time limit on these “investigations”. However, they usually take 4-6 weeks total. If it takes more than 6 weeks call and inquire about the status of your permit once every few days, occasionally applications can be misfiled (or in rare cases deliberately mishandled) and reminding the police department that you have not forgotten about it may help speed things up. After all that, if you’ve done everything right, have no record, and none of your references object, you should receive your FPID card.

You can now purchase long guns.

6. Restrictions

You may purchase an unlimited number of long guns at any time through both private sales and FFL sales with a valid FPID. There is no waiting period or cool off period for the purchase of long guns in NJ.
>>
File: 1480984731163.gif (761KB, 502x283px) Image search: [Google]
1480984731163.gif
761KB, 502x283px
>>32554130
>>32554138
>>32554148
That's for buying, but would one have to go through all of that to build a rifle?
>>
>>32553357
You need to have a firearms purchaser ID card (you can apply for this at your local PD, I think). You'll need two non familial character witnesses. After that you can buy whatever you can buy in other AWB states. Neutered rifles with pinned on muzzle brakes or unthreaded barrels, 15rd magazine limit, no adjustable or folding stocks. You will also need a permit for each handgun you purchase. Concealed carry is not illegal, but good luck getting a permit unless you're a special person or protecting money.

You also cannot build your own firearms.
>>
>>32555082
>but would one have to go through all of that to build a rifle?
Yes.

>That's for buying
It's for owning. You can't possess a firearm in NJ without a license.
>>
>>32555082
see>>32555101

You cannot manufacture your own firearms as a non-licensee in New Jersey.
>>
>>32555102
That's wrong, you can own firearms you purchased as a resident of another state without an FPID, although I think you need it to buy ammunition, now.
>>
>>32555082
You cannot legally manufacture any firearm in NJ from raw materials (no 80% stuff) without a manufacturer's license.
>>
>>32555102
There are two situations in which you can own firearms in NJ without an FPID card.
1. Through inheritance
2. Moving into the state with firearms
That's it.
>>32555120
You only legally need an FPID card to buy pistol ammo in NJ, although most brick and mortar gun stores make you present an FPID card for any ammo purchased because the state police are fuckwits and won't define exactly what "pistol ammo" is.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 222x148px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 222x148px
>tfw I need to leave this hellhole but I love fishing in the Atlantic to much
Really limits the options desu
>>
File: 7584375.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
7584375.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
>>32553357
>what firearms I can legally own

The state of New Jersey gives specific definition of what it considers to be an assault weapon, assault weapons are banned by law.

Any semiautomatic rifle which fires from a detachable magazine is an assault weapon if it hasmore than ONEof the following features:

A pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon

A bayonet lug

A flash suppressor or threaded barrel

A folding or collapsible stock

A grenade launcher

Any semiautomatic rifle is an assault weapon if it hasANYthe following features:

A fixed magazine with a capacity exceeding 15 rounds

Any semiautomatic pistols which fires from a detachable magazine is an assault weapon if it hasmore than ONEof the following features:

An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip

A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer

A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned

Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded

A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Any semiautomatic shotguns is an assault weapon if it hasmore than ONEof the following features

A telescoping stock

An ability to accept a detachable magazine

Any semiautomatic shotguns is an assault weapon if it hasANYof the following features

A magazine capacity exceeding six rounds

A folding stock

A pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
>>
>>32555382
Cont.

New Jersey law also individually names numerous firearms which the state considers assault weapons, the list is as follows:

Algimec AGM1 type

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

Armalite AR-180 type

Australian Automatic Arms SAR

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900

CETME G3

Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type

Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types

Demro TAC-1 carbine type

Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types

FAMAS MAS223 types

FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns

G3SA type

Galil type

Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

M1 carbine type

M14S type

MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9 mm carbine type firearms

PJK M-68 carbine type

Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

Ruger K-Mini-14/5 F and Mini-14/5 RF

SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types

SKS with detachable magazine type

Spectre Auto carbine type

Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type

Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk
>>
>>32555396
Cont.
2 . Any firearm manufactured under any designation, which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed in paragraph 1 above. As used in this definition, the term "substantial" means pertaining to the substance, matter, material or essence of a thing and the term "identical" means exactly the same. Hence, a firearm is substantially identical to another only if it is identical in all material, essential respects. A firearm is not substantially identical to a listed assault firearm unless it is identical except for differences that do not alter the essential nature of the firearm.

However, in 1996 the NJ attorney general wrote anofficial letterclarifying the law in regards to firearms considered "substantially identical" to those banned by name. In essence, the letterappearsto nullify the term "substantially identical" in its entirety instead relying on the definitions previously listed on this page. It should be noted that this letter is not official law, and has yet to be challenged in court. The state attorney generals office could also reverse its position on the matter at any time.
>>
>>32553357
>how I can go about carrying them outside my house
Lol, you can't.
>>
>>32553357
You need to be attacked befor you can apply to carry in NJ
>>
>>32555361
I hear the Carolinas are lovely.
>>
>>32556774
They are 100% not.
>>
I work for the State of NJ and long to move right across the border to PA so I can CC... It's very sad staring out of my office window seeing a free state over the Delaware River whilst thinking about the Battle of Trenton and how GW crossed that very river below me.
>>
>>32557010
George Washington would be ashamed. There was a Revolutionary War route through my hometown in NJ.
>>
File: 83a.png (133KB, 528x321px) Image search: [Google]
83a.png
133KB, 528x321px
>>32557148
He crossed a frozen river on Christmas to kill Germans in their sleep and liberate Trenton. And we betrayed him and the constitution. Oh god, I'm sorry George.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.