[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joining the military at 27?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: fuller.jpg (39KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
fuller.jpg
39KB, 600x400px
Will I have a rough time? I'm in good physical shape, no back or joint issues.
>>
>>32552960

Do you look like the kid in your picture? Because if so you'll fit right in.
>>
>>32552968
No but I share his smug attitude and full bladder and that's what truly matters.
>>
>>32552960
As long as you can tolerate the bullshit you'll be fine. Also depending on when you go to Bootcamp you might not even be that old. I went in January and most of platoon was guys in their 20s. There were 3 dudes who were in their 30s and plenty of dudes in their mid 20s who already had degrees be such
>>
We had a handful of 42 year olds in our basic (when the age cap in the Army was still 42, it's lower now) and they were fine for the most part.

You're not really at an age yet where your NCOs/officers are drastically younger than you, which was a problem for older guys. You'll get treated like a kid anyway though.
>>
>>32552960
People who join at an older age usually have a rough time adjusting to all the bullshit because they've probably been on their own and acting like an adult for several years already. Having to listen to someone who is barely old enough to drink and being your boss may compound if you're the type to feel that way.

That said, I think those 30yo E-4s are some of the chillest fuckers I've ever met in the military.
>>
File: Uncle Fart.jpg (41KB, 413x585px) Image search: [Google]
Uncle Fart.jpg
41KB, 413x585px
>>32552960
I never did ask this question when I went through Marine Boot because I knew that I was in the middle of the age groups of everyone in my Plt. I did however wounder why it took so long for some of the older guys (25+) to figure it out. I went in at 20. Plus side to being older is you have some pull but that can be a shit show if you don't prove yourself worth.
>>
>>32552960
You will be pushed around and subordinate to people many years younger than you. They will look like the kid in your picture, and treat you like a child.
>>
My brother went in at 28 and he hated every second of it. Not only the fact that he was getting ordered around by somebody who was in 6th grade when he graduated HS but also because 18 year olds are whiny faggots and you have to deal with a fuck ton of them.

Don't do it.
>>
I went in at 25.
Wasn't a problem for me because I take nothing serious.
The normal brainwashing doesn't really effect the older people so you have to go into it knowing it's a game, know what you want to achieve while in and don't get hung up on the bullshit
>>
>>32554634

Also he said the only upside was that he was in way better shape than everybody else so even when they were getting smoked hard he was fine while all the DYEL? kids were vomiting and passing out.
>>
>>32552960

I knew a few guys who joined a little late. Everyone has said it. You'll have to take orders from people younger than you. It all depends on your unit and the people in it how that turns out. I had some soldiers who were older. Never had issues because I tried to treat people decently. But there's types who treat everyone like dirt.
>>
>>32554648
>all the DYEL? kids were vomiting and passing out.
>war stories, basic training
did he really tell you that?
>>
>>32554675

Apparently it was unusually miserable heat and humidity even for Ft. Benning and he did far better than the 18 year olds who hadn't really had any experience with real physical exertion outdoors.

Brother worked construction for a few years right out of high school and has always been in good shape overall so that probably gave him an advantage vs a bunch of kids who's most recent exposure to heat combined with physical exertion was putting tendies in the oven.
>>
Don't believe the "you get treated like a kid shit" it's a silly parallel just for your NCO's do try to look out for you like your one of theirs. It's mostly about order and organization try to order and organize a group of any humans and you're going to think it's like herding kids probably.
Military is a good time you'll probably actually like it better when you're older than when you're younger. When you're younger you'll probably think it's clever to get away with doing shitbag stuff. When you're older you're probably more results oriented.
>>
You will find lots of things easy, like the concept of getting up early and being on time. You should be able to cook, too, which will put you ahead of just about everyone else.

The bits you will struggle at are obvious. You won't recover as quickly. You'll hate things that seem obvious and it will grate even more than usual because about half of the people with you won't be able to do them, even after the fifth time of being shown.
>>
>>32552960
Best soldiers I have are the ones who joined later. Y'all tend to be more responsible, honest, and intelligent. You grasp concepts easier, know when to ask questions, and don't do stupid shit like marry a stripper or get a new mustang with a 40% interest rate. I'd trade all my straight-outta-highscool joins for older soldiers. Physical fitness can be trained for. Stupidity is permanent.
>>
>>32552960
If you're stupid or a loser, you'll get along just fine. If you've got a brain in your head, it's impossible to enjoy the military regardless of your age. If you go in younger, you're just more likely to buy into the bullshit, so it might take you longer to figure out how much of a FWA scandal you've signed up for.

Regardless of what your ASVAB score is, sign up for a job that at least has the option for frequent deployment, even if it's a volunteer-status thing. The "real military" being where ever you just PCS'd from or where you are PCS'ing to is mostly bullshit, but from everything I ever experienced or heard, it's better in a deployed environment.

>>32555091
If stupidity is permanent, how is it magically disappearing as people get older?

OP, this is what I'm talking about. This dumb motherfucker is your average joe in the military. It's a bunch of people who are convinced they know more than they actually do because they can regurgitate prepackaged thought-bites that fall apart under scrutiny. The entire U.S. military is a Dunning-Kruger research institute, I swear.
>>
>>32555147
>be rejected
>they are all STOOPID
>>
>>32555147
>If stupidity is permanent, how is it magically disappearing as people get older?

If I had to guess, by the time stupid people get to their late 20s/early 30s, they probably have too many convictions on their record to get into the army.
>>
>>32552960
There's a reason they have age cut offs. You should be able to do it.

Will you keep up with the 18-20 years olds, maybe. Will it be harder on your body and you'll be sorer? Yes.

If you're not going Infantry then it really doesn't matter.
>>
File: tranny-military-6.jpg (109KB, 634x871px) Image search: [Google]
tranny-military-6.jpg
109KB, 634x871px
>>32552960

dont fucking do it OP
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.