[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Red pill me on the legion etrangere (french foreign legion) /k/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (133KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
133KB, 1280x720px
Red pill me on the legion etrangere (french foreign legion) /k/

I'm studying in Europe and I'm only a train ride away from the nearest recruiting center, and I'm seriously contemplating it. My desire to know more has is intense
>>
>>32551410
>Red pill
how bout ask in a less retarded manner
>>
>>32551415

fuck off nerd
>>
File: A0114672212120964633.jpg (23KB, 461x226px) Image search: [Google]
A0114672212120964633.jpg
23KB, 461x226px
From what I have heard from /k/ (do your own research to back this up)

The Legion is like the spetznaz, where you can be in it but only as a cook, mechanic etc. You can end up a POG, not everyone in the legion are commando operators. Most of the time they're full in the combat departments but the POG departments are always needing people.
>>
I've been doing a fair amount of research over the past few days, and it's something that I've wanted to do for years (I've toyed with the idea before). I'm mainly interested in the rigor of the selection before you actually enter the legion as a trainee. What are the metrics they use to gage ones psychological/physical condition? I'm a bit more interested in physical (although I'd get very close to a perfect score on the US Army pft).
>>
>Serving the French

Why not serve America? Russia also has a legion you can join.
>>
>>32551509
>close to a perfect score on the US Army pft
>close to

Based on that alone, you won't make it. In the US (and any other country) military if you want any kind of consideration for special programs you need to not just be able to meet (almost perfect score) but go well above in terms of basic physical requirements.
>>
File: 1481521646631.gif (174KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1481521646631.gif
174KB, 300x300px
>>32552297

Of course I'll drastically exceed the score given a month of prep time
>>
the FFL is simply a subset of the french army that has regiments staffed by foreigners.

The differences are the first contract is 5 years minimum, you arent allowed to own a house, apartment or car for those first five years, and you are treated with very strict rules and probably wont be treated the greatest.

The notion of the FFL being an "elite" fighting force is pure bullshit. They have the exact same training curriculum as the french army, because they are in the french army, the difference is the legion is obviously given much less priority with budget.

They are not special forces, another retarded myth, nor do they have special forces. The closest thing they have to "special operations" is three commando units, GCP, GCM and GCI belonging to 2REP (parachute infantry), 2REG (engineer) and 2REI (mechanized infantry) respectively. Those commando units are the ones who get the hi-speed toys and get to do the cool stuff all the daydreamer kids obsess over. There is also a combat diver unit, PCG, in the 1REG (engineer) regiment, which again, contrary to bullshit internet myths, is not anything like navy SEALs.

Otherwise it is just like most any military on the planet, only with a worse budget and less freedom.

Many who have served in another military, commonly brits, and have also served in the FFL say the level of training they receive in the legion is nowhere near as good, not least because language barriers necessarily mean things must be simplified to teach people and have it all go smoothly.
>>
>>32553070

>The differences are the first contract is 5 years minimum, you arent allowed to own a house, apartment or car for those first five years, and you are treated with very strict rules and probably wont be treated the greatest.

also: The FFL disallows women and fags, which are welcome in the regular french army.
>>
>>32551569

russia does not have a foreign legion contrary to what media outlets were putting out

simply, they allow foreigners to serve in the ground forces on the proviso that they have good command of russian, good health and clean background check.

It was a precedence designed to bring in recruits from former soviet sattelite states, not really to establish a "legion" of people from around the world. And to that point, foreign recruits go into regular units with citizen russians too.

>>32551509

the physical aspect is overrated. The legion requirements for entry are about the same as what youd encounter for army or marines. For example, a 7 on the luc luger (beep test) and 4 pullups. Hardly a challenge for anyone who is in shape.

the psych testing is just to make sure you're not a complete nutjob or depressive suicidal faggot who is going to kill himself in basic training.

The biggest metric the legion is judging recruits on is how likely they are to see out their 5 year contract without attempting to fuck off, or choose to go civil after basic training (you are given that option).

This is why a lot of guys who have been to legion recruiting scratch their heads when they see guys any other military on the planet would be chomping at the bit to hire (athletic, intelligent, motivated) getting rejected in favor of dropkicks and losers from shitholes.

This isnt an explicit metric but if you read between the lines, it is obvious. People from privileged backgrounds are seen as people who are going to pack it in when the reality shatters the daydreams. They're probably right.

whereas bobik slavik and babolo monkeyface are likely to stay knowing their only other options are poverty, crime or minimum wage.
>>
Be prepared to live a life like a monk and get use to the word "corvée" because that is what you'll be doing until the day you decided to call it quits when your contract expire.
>>
>>32551410
>Red pill
No memers allowed
>>
>>32551569
>serve America
A foreigner can't do that unless you're a doctor or linguist and even then you need 2 years of residency to be considered for enlistment
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.