[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Pistol for Carry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

Looking to buy a pistol for carry(live in Texas). Have little experience with pistols as I mostly used rifles and shotguns. I have ZERO brand loyalty so looking for input on any and all options. I'd prefer I higher caliber(.40, .45, .357)

Stopping in at the local gun store today I handled a few and kinda liked a Glock 30S. I've got big hands and the double stacked grip was a nice feel. So if anyone has any feedback on the 30S, I'm all ears. But again, I'm open to any and all options.

>Inb4: glock hurr durr
Last time I was on /k/ glock seemed quite the meme/shittalk subject. I don't give a shit. Just want honest input.
>>
>>32551095
If you have no preference at all, then a Glock is usually the go-to. People shit talk glock all the time, but really they're the most handgun handgun that ever did handgun. The Glocknade meme came from early gen .40s using vastly overcharged ammo (which will ruin ANY gun) and blowing. Go to a range that does rentals and try one. If you don't like it, rent another brand and try again. You'll find a pistol you like eventually.
>>
>>32551095
Can't go wrong with a glock nowadays. If you don't want to shoot 9 I say skip .40 and go straight to .45.
>>
>>32551095
I also have big hands and I <3 my 17
>>
>>32551095
Glock 19 or Glock 26, n Gen 4 thay come with grip scales to adjust the grip. Don't go for memeguns in memecalibers like 40.
>>
>>32551445
>Don't go for memeguns in memecalibers like 40.
Which are meme guns? Which are meme calibers? And why?
And remember, I don't care about meme shit.
>>
>>32551574
40 is a meme caliber, it's still somewhat viable, but if you're willing to shoot a .40, just up it to a .45.
>>
>>32551095
Look at the S&W M&P line, the Springfield XD line and SigSauer. Pick the size you are looking for first so you can look at stuff in the same class. (caliber, single or double stack, compact, subcompact, etc...)

If you want a weapon light or laser, consider that before you buy as some guns are easy to get that installed and some are not.
>>
>>32551095
I got the M&P 45 for chirstmas. I like it a lot. Grip texture is like sandpaper and you can keep a good hold on it even with sweaty hands. almost same size as 9 and 40. 7+1 with extended mag.
>>
>>32551445
Literally came here to post this.

I got a 26 in 2015, carried it since, but have always regretted not just fucking getting the 19.
The 19 has a grip that you can get your entire hand on, holds 5 more rounds, and is only about an inch larger in any direction.
Get a good feel between the two so you make sure you make the right decision.

Also, do NOT get anything made by Hi-Point or Taurus (unless it's the TP-111, which is actually seemingly ok for being made by Taurus)
>>
>>32551095
Ive been super happy with my springfield xds. I have the 9mm, and its awesome for carrying. Id rather have the 45. Bulker guns are more inconvenient and you'll find yourself leaving it at home.
>>
Not trying to hijack OP'S thread, just have a similar question and don't know where else to ask.

I was just gifted my father's 1911 a1, and I know almost nothing about it. Is it a good carry gun? If I am not supposed to ask here then please disregard my faggotry.
>>
>>32552058
>1911
>good
Errr, well, it's better than carrying nothing. I guess.
>>
>>32552058
I love 1911s, but its way too heavy to carry all the time.
>>
>>32552017
OP here
My friend who's in the Army has an XDS .45 and he loves it. Only complaint is weight. Him and a relative both have XDS and enjoy and the price seemed reasonable.
>>32552058
I'm in a similar boat. I've received some hand me down pistols from my grandfather who passed away but they're all these limited edition/commemorative pieces with fancy engravings and wood boxes that are just way too nice to cary around. Going by what other have told me, a full 1911, unmodified, is just too large to conceal year round. Yeah in winter time you can get away with it under layers and a coat but in summer when it's tshirt and jeans/shorts it's pretty much impossible to hide. If you can get away with open carry and are all for advertising you have a gun then I guess it's no problem but I don't want to advertise.
>>
>>32552058
Objectively, no, they're hot garbage.

They may have been the best handgun in their day over 100 years ago, but with all the new developments in firearms technology over the past 100 years, it makes them look like shit. Which they are.
>>
>>32552166
I disagree. The 1911 is a fantastic gun just wouldnt want to haul it around all day
>>
File: tmp_10094-1c4uye910538551.jpg (26KB, 315x315px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_10094-1c4uye910538551.jpg
26KB, 315x315px
>>32552236
I hope Trump adds 1911fags to the deport list
>>
>>32551095
You'll do better with a handgun you shoot more, I would go with a 9mm and save $$$ on ammo.
>>
>>32551095
Realistically 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP all have around the same amount of kinetic energy dumped into a target with modern defensive (expanding) ammo. If you liked the Glock 30S, go to a range, rent one, shoot and see if you like it. If not, keep trying guns until you find one you like. All Glocks are pretty much identical except for size, caliber, and a few differences between the generations. A Glock is the Toyota Corolla of handguns: inexpensive, reliable, and everywhere. They'll do the job when you meed it. If you like .357 (magnum I'm assuming, not .357 Sig) Smith and Wesson is the way to go. A 686 with a 4" barrel is small enough to conceal and you get a lot out of the .357. Plus there is the added benefit of practicing with .38 Special which is cheaper and easier to shoot. Other guns I'd recommend are the S&W M&P series, Sig Sauer (expensive and heavy but good), Walther PPQ (Improved Glock 19 rip-off, also comes in .40 and .45 and is what I personally carry in 9mm. Ruger SR series are great if you're on a budget. Not flashy but they work.Get something small enough to conceal comfortably but large enough to fight with.
>>
>>32552319
Whats there to hate? Basiclly every gun since has been a copy
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.