[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone actually use the lanyard loop on their pistol?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_5078.jpg (58KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5078.jpg
58KB, 600x360px
Does anyone actually use the lanyard loop on their pistol?
>>
yes the officers are issued lanyards, the regular grunts just have to keep it in their backpack or buy a holster
>>
When I was deployed I had a lanyard attached to my belt even though I had it in a leg holster
>>
>>32540765
In the military. But that's a fancy set up. I had to 550 cord mine.

No I'm not an idiot who would lose my shit. Its not a terrible idea tho.
>>
>>32540765
>2016
>Not wearing your gun around your neck
>>
>>32540765
When you carry your handgun every day for several years never taking it out to fire, you are basically just keeping it around because regs tell you to.
Lanyard does a good job for that.
>>
Newfag here. What purpose does the lanyard really serve? I mean, aren't holsters a thing?
>>
>>32540765
Do you mean like real use? Because non-American motor cops seem to use them a lot.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (27KB, 587x250px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
27KB, 587x250px
>>32540816
>implying i don't
>>
File: 1478473090611.jpg (28KB, 480x342px) Image search: [Google]
1478473090611.jpg
28KB, 480x342px
I do innawoods. I've managed to fall down a hillside off trail and although the holster held onto my sidearm it was partially dislodged. If it had fallen out all the way I would have been looking for it for hours.
>>
>>32540874
Pistol retention. Shit gets hairy in combat. Sometimes people improperly holster in the heat of the moment and their pistol can fall out later.

Case in point: When I was in, I had a lieutenant unknowingly drag his pistol about a mile through the desert because it had fallen out when he went to sit in the HMMWV and closed the door on it.

I felt bad for the poor Beretta.
>>
>>32540874
Jesus Christ, it's like you people can't fit the right block into the right hole without an MSpaint infographic.

>>32540787
>the regular grunts just have to keep it in their backpack

The vast majority of soldiers don't get handguns. Sweet movie myth, senpai. The lower enlisted that do are expected to hold onto it, and anybody carrying one in a backpack on the regular is going to get that shit ganked.
>>
>>32540874
Lanyard is so it makes it harder for your gun to get used against you even when you have it out of the holster. The lanyard should only have enough length for you to extend your arm to full length in front of you while holding the gun.

It also means the gun is attached to you so its harder to lose in the middle of a fight should something happen that would cause you to drop it.
>>
>>32540931
i was only memeing, I need practice
>>
File: PYntL9Z.jpg (153KB, 624x478px) Image search: [Google]
PYntL9Z.jpg
153KB, 624x478px
>>32540874
Its a holdover from ww1 era when a revolver and a club was actually a loadout. Lanyards on melee weapons has been around forever, so the prevailing wisdom of the time held that handguns should have them too. It isn't a bad idea, really.
>>
File: m4.jpg (1MB, 4256x2832px) Image search: [Google]
m4.jpg
1MB, 4256x2832px
>>32540765
>Not knowing that like 90% of shit soldiers get issued is usually expected to be dummy corded to their bodies.

The military makes people fucking tie down optics on weapons "just in case", and those would be way harder to pop loose accidentally than a handgun.
>>
>>32540874

Initially it was for Calvary soldiers. Pistol falls out of its leather holster as you are galloping along, the cord would catch it. Makes a lot of sense really. Same thinking applies for Airborne soldiers, or really anyone running and diving for cover while holding a rifle. Stuff like that.

As we move into the modern day accountability has become the driving factor. You can't just lose a weapon. You can't just say "whoops, my bad, I guess I'll have to pay for another" or slmething. No, if you lose something in the military like a weapon your entire unit is on lockdown, your entire fucking base is on lockdown until you find that stupid thing. It sounds really stupid, but that's how it is.

Now imagine that you are carrying the pistol for weeks or months without ever drawing it. You have it because maybe you are a human resources clerk, or a helicopter mechanic. The regs say "you will be armed at all times". So your commander says that you can carry a pistol so you can just have a holster and don't have to babysit a rifle that you will never fire. The number one place you find "lost" weapons is in the shitters. The thing is just an annoying encumbrance most of the time.

The lanyard is referred to as the "retard leash". You might look like a retard, but at least you won't lose your fucking weapon.
>>
>>32540999
I 'member one time a 240 fell off a helicopter because the crew didn't put the pin back in the mount after they cleaned it.

I laughed and laughed.
>>
>>32540995
That poor magazine
>>
>>32540999
>The regs say "you will be armed at all times". So your commander says that you can carry a pistol so you can just have a holster and don't have to babysit a rifle that you will never fire. The number one place you find "lost" weapons is in the shitters. The thing is just an annoying encumbrance most of the time.

Real talk. It's sort of a downlow thing that most people who get issued pistols can barely shoot the things and think of them more as "FOB bling" than as a real weapon. Most people who don't have pistols want it so they don't have to walk around with a rifle all the time.

The majority of military people who hate Berettas never put more than the bare minimum of qualifying time into them (if they even actually qual'd).
>>
>>32541053
>When you try to be cool with a ranger pulltab, but your magazine spaghettis instead.
>>
I want to see someone put one of those kawaii charms Japanese girls have on their phones on a gun.

If nobody here does it I might have to...
>>
I leashed my M9 when I was in Iraq. I leash my Glock when I go four-wheeling.
>>
>>32541092

You clearly have never been in an /arg/ thread

Tripfaggots put those things on all their sidearms
>>
File: basedvick.jpg (51KB, 490x342px) Image search: [Google]
basedvick.jpg
51KB, 490x342px
>>32540765
only casuals
>>
>>32541119
Fuck. I'm out
>>
>>32541064
>The majority of military people who hate Berettas never put more than the bare minimum of qualifying time into them (if they even actually qual'd).

I like the Beretta. However I hate military Berettas. Never re/qualed with or got issued one that felt like it received more than bare minimum "check the box" care.
>>
>>32540765
Motorcycle cops often do. I doubt there's much demand otherwise.
>>
>>32540995
>NVG mount not dummy corded to kevlar
his ssgt is going to be pissed
>>
>>32541205
Because most people don't take care of them very well. Remember, FOB bling mindset.

I'll admit that the M92 isn't my favorite handgun, but I can use it. The people who are all like "Hurr durr this pistol sucks, may as well throw it at somebody in a fight" probably put less than 500 rounds through one in an attempt to train.

That and how it seemed like 90% of people used some sort of shitty cloth dropleg holster hanging down to their kneecap. Usually with an extra mag on the holster itself rather than somewhere useful. Makes me REEEE.
>>
>>32541229
*M9 / FS92.

Drunky.
>>
>>32540765

I use one I attach to my belt when I carry in my drop-leg holster because why not?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.