[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best carry revolver for elderly women?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

File: dont-mess-with-old-ladies.jpg (38KB, 472x315px) Image search: [Google]
dont-mess-with-old-ladies.jpg
38KB, 472x315px
I'm looking for a good carry revolver for my elderly mother that has arthritis. We've tried all manner of semi-automatic pistols, but she can't rack the slide on most. I've decided a wheelgun will probably suit her best.

What are my options? What are the best carry wheelguns for little old ladies? Looking for one that fits in a purse, but also has manageable recoil.
>>
Bump, please don't let my elderly mother get raped by Tyrone Niggerdick, /k/.
>>
.327 Fed Mag revolver?
Lighter recoil for meemaws arthritis wrists but still acceptable ballistics.
Maybe in a Ruger LCR hammerless for no snagging in her handbag and more recoil management.
>secret: she probably still wants the niggerdick
>>
Model 66 Snub; heavy enough not to recoil *too* much, very durable, not too heavy to be unusable
>>
>>32537809
Glock 19
>>
>>32538266
Can you read?
>>
S&W model 642 maybe?

A nice small, J frame revolver. They offer ones without the internal keylock. 5 rounds of 38spl+p isn't the greatest - but it's better than not having a gun.
>>
>>32537809
>can't rack the slide on a 22lr semi-auto
>Still going to arm her
Dude this can't end well. Unless you like schadenfreude.
>>
How fast can she reload a revolver under duress? Just get a fucking Glock 26 so she has at least 10 rounds.
>>
>>32539650
You really expect an elderly woman with arthritis to need to and/or have the opportunity to fucking reload to fend off an attacker?
>>
>>32539687
Exactly, with a Glock 26 she has 10 shots, with a snub she has 5-6. Don't get a fucking revolver.
>>
>>32539687
His point was that no matter what, she isn't going to reload it in a gunfight.

It's not a very good point, though. She can't reload the Glock 26 at all (can't rack the slide), even during low stress situations.
>>
File: 642.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
642.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
A revolver for purse carry? Look into getting a Smith and Wesson Model 60/Model 640 or a Ruger SP101 and carry them with a good .38 defense load. All three are solid and dependable.

>get a glock bro

Every time.
>>
Does she have the finger strength to pull a double action trigger?
>>
>>32539719
>arthritic woman hitting anything with an off the shelf DA trigger

nigger please
>>
>>32539707
>>32539712
She isn't going to get in a damn firefight.

People target elderly women because they are looking for easy. When she starts blasting they are going to take off. In the unlikely situation they don't, a couple extra shots, that probably aren't going to hit anything anyway, aren't going to deter them.
>>
>>32539751
The mean average distance for defensive shootings is 7 yards. This goes down further if the shooting happens in your home. Anyone who is not legally blind can hit a human-sized target at those distances with a small amount of training.
>>
>>32539767
And she is not going to be able to load an automatic if she can't rack the slide. She may as well carry around a brick.
>>
>>32539650
You really expect she's going to shoot her gun more than twice if at all?
>>
>>32539786
I think he was referring to the weight of the DA trigger being too much for her arthritis.
>>
>>32539767
>not caring about hitting a target
Really?
>>32539786
Arthritic scared woman vs 12 pound trigger who will never take firearm training seriously, wouldn't wager on it.
>>32539787
Anyone can load a semi auto in the safety of their own home. Hell if she needs put a charging handle on it. 11 rounds vs 5-6 rounds and a usable trigger is the difference here.
>>32539796
Only if she doesn't use a fudnose.
>>
>>32539650
gun she can't load at all < gun that she can load
>>
>>32539839
There's always the LCR if that's the case. It has one of the easiest DA triggers of any factory revolver, snubnose or not. Its only issue is that it's also easier to shortstroke by accident compared to a J-frame, which has a faster and more positive reset.
>>
I don't understand how people think that something like this would plan out

does an elderly woman or any woman above 40 have the reflexes and training to quickly pull their gun? is she gonna have it in her purse?
>>
>>32539901
Then load it for her. Those 10+1 rounds are 5 more than she would ever get off anyways. Or you could put grip tape on the slide to help her grip it, or a charging handle so she could grip the frame with both hands and rack the slide against a table. All of these options are better than the retarded fudlore of MAH SNUBNOSE! A difficult to use firearm for most grown men, that you expect someones gran to pick up and turn into revolver ocelot with.
>>
I'm not even joking when I say this, but get her one of those two or four shot derringers. Anyone desperate enough to pick on granny is going to get spooked at the sight of any firearm and while a derringer isn't much, it will suffice in an absolute emergency.

The triggers are fairly light as well so anyone can use them.
>>
>>32539279
>using 22lr pistol for defense
>>
>>32539887
>Anyone can load a semi auto in the safety of their own home

Not if they can't pull the slide back. Now if it were me and I were suddenly an arthritic old woman who couldn't rack the slide, I would probably be able to get to my workshop and Macguyver a way to pull the slide back to chamber a round. But this is a feeble old lady who has probably almost never used any tools, so she might not know how.

>if she needs put a charging handle on it.

Not a question of if she needs a charging handle. We know she can't charge the weapon with her bare hands. More like, if she had a charging handle, would she then be able to rack the slide? Hopefully. Wouldn't know for sure unless tried.
>>
break barrel shotgun
>break action is easy to operate even with arthritis
>powerful load
>granny safe
>>
>>32539964
>load the gun for her
>>you will always be there when she decides to unload the pistol
>>
>>32540008
http://www.glockstore.com/Longhorn-Slide-Pull-Charging-Handle?option-list=78
>both hands on frame
>push charging handle against table using both arms and body weight

I like how anon thinks that someone who can't manage that will hit anything with a double action snubnose.
>>
>>32540023
>she can unload the pistol but can't do the exact same action to reload it
>>
>>32538905
If you get her a semi pistol with a large mag, she likely won't go through all the rounds, provided she's in some weird firefight.
>>
>>32540062
>implying she was even able to unload it which is why you have to be there
Damn you really want to be right
>>
>>32540013
>EDCing a shotgun
?
>>
>>32538266
this
>>
>>32540058
>I like how anon thinks that someone who can't manage that will hit anything with a double action snubnose.

I don't. That's another issue that needs to be tested. She may just end up having to use a .22LR target pistol because all the others have either too heavy of a trigger or too firm of a slide spring.

Also,

>pushing against something that is not secure with all your weight

Practically begging for her to fall on her face. Remember: arthritic old woman. Not very coordinated, can't move around very well, if she falls down, literally may not be able to get back up. That sort of shit.
>>
File: granny_get_your_gun.jpg (49KB, 720x427px) Image search: [Google]
granny_get_your_gun.jpg
49KB, 720x427px
>>32537809
Based granny
>>
>>32540173
>all your weight
She isn't a retard, even a woman can judge appropriate force in this instance.

>will fall over pushing something
>can expertly use a 12lb. double action snubnose
holy fuck nigger stop
>>
>>32540213
Read my post next time.
>>
>>32537809
>fits in a purse, but also has manageable recoil.
Get a heavier-framed .32 or .38
>>
>>32540230

While I don't disagree with a .22lr of some sort, racking a glock with a charing handle against a table/bench/chair is as hard as flushing a toilet.

I have heard good things about the M&P .22lr.
>>
>OP makes a thread specifically to ask for a revolver recommendation
>some dude spends a fucking hour arguing with everyone trying to convince him to buy a Glock instead
>>
Find her a nice Beretta 3032 Tomcat. It has a tip-up barrel, she can directly load a round into the chamber without ever having to rack the slide.
>>
>>32537935
no one wants her
>>
>>32540264
I have seen old women struggle to push open doors at restaurants. Routinely. Whether or not OP's mom is that weak, I don't know. Maybe putting a charging handle on the slide and just racking the slide while gripping the charging handle would work.

If she has to do the table thing, there is a better way: get a vise with soft jaws, secure the slide in the vise, push on the frame. Less chance of falling on her face since both the slide and frame are secure objects, and it doesn't require a charging handle.
>>
>>32539767
>that probably aren't going to hit anything anyway
So we have confirmed here that your mother does not need to have a gun.
>>
>>32540328
>glock 26 fag here this is actually a good idea
>>
The LCR in 38 special is one of the most popular choices for women with weak hands or arthritis. It weighs a bit less than a 642/442, the trigger is light, and the big hogue grip takes a lot of pain out of the air weight recoil. You can go 327 and carry 32 long if the 38 recoil is a deal breaker. The Sig 238 is also a popular option because of the grip and lower recoil round; a baby 1911 with a 380acp is pretty manageable and the slides are easy to manipulate compared to the more common polys like a G42. My mother has hand injuries and lost a lot of grip strength so she's using a Bersa thunder 380 right now. With the hammer cocked she has just enough strength to rack it.
>>
>>32540312
to be fair on his behalf it's probably impossible for this lady to actually reload a revolver or to pull a DA trigger so it might make sense to just have a loaded semiauto with 12 bullets in it and ask OP to load it

a glock is probably not the best ergonomic choice for this lady however
>>
>>32540358
I'm not OP.

Do you really think she is going to hit an attacker with her 7th through 10th shots? Either she hits the guy within the first 6 shots or he is under fucking cover or out the way by then and the next 4 aren't going to hit him. Again, she's not going to be dodging around getting in some movie firefight.
>>
>>32540427
If your mother is shooting at something she can't hit, she shouldn't have a gun. Would you rather her purse gets stolen or she gets absolutely murdered in court because she hit a bystander? Never mind killing a bystander.
>>
see if she can rack a .380 like a glock 42
>>
>>32539981
If she can't rack the slide on anything over a 10lb spring what the fuck do you expect her to shoot?
>>
>>32540427
Multiple attackers anon.
>>
>>32540425
>keeping a gun loaded indefinitely
>>
>>32540507
2 rounds
>>
File: 1483508260890.gif (4MB, 309x265px) Image search: [Google]
1483508260890.gif
4MB, 309x265px
>>32540133
>>
>>32540564
>two blasts

apply yourself
>>
>>32537809
S&W 500
>>
File: Tomcat_barrellever.jpg (320KB, 1250x702px) Image search: [Google]
Tomcat_barrellever.jpg
320KB, 1250x702px
>>32537809
It's not a revolver, but how about a Beretta Tomcat? It has a tip-up barrel which is easier to load than racking a slide.
>>
>>32538246
lcr a shit. grandma probably a shit too though
>>
>>32538266
honestly, this
>>
>>32540681
as stated above, grandma aint loadin shit
>>
>>32540681
This is really good. That's exactly what this gun is good for, and what the tip-up barrel was designed to answer.
>>
>>32540792
Do you understand how a tip-up barrel works?
>>
My late aunt conceal carried a .32 H&R Magnum Smith & Wesson until she passed away at 83. Previous was a .25 Colt auto that my Grandfather carried as a meter reader in the 30's.

Yes, they're mine now.
>>
>>32537809
i asked this exact question like a month ago and got no useful replies

theres not really a good option to be honest

low recoil rimfire revolvers have way too heavy triggers
>>
>>32540792

Loading the Tomcat won't have anymore strain on her than loading a revolver. With the tip-up barrel, she can simply press the release lever and insert a round. That way, she can carry a pocket pistol that hold 7+1 rounds of .32 Auto with confidence. I strongly urge you to seek out this firearm, as it'll be easier for her to operate under stress than a DA revolver.
>>
>>32539964
Fixing the most common kind of misfire in an autoloader involves racking the slide. Fixing a misfire in a revolver usually just involves pulling the trigger again. Which do you think gma can do better than the other?
Revolvers are fine for carry you pedantic asshat
>>
>>32542734
>>32540865
Did you guys manage to buy one of the handful of Tomcats that wasn't the gun equivalent of a Ford Edsel? Their QC was Beretta Pico-tier terrible.
>>
Black Bull with an 11" barrel.
>>
>>32545093
Those were the original models that were prone to cracks in the slide. Beretta improved on then by beefing up the slides.
>>
>>32539981
>But it bounces inside the body causing more damage
>>
>>32545295
>implying you won't be dead before they finally bleed out
>>
>>32537809
Smith and wesson 500
>>
>>32538266
my mother has the same problem, got her a glock 19, she doenst even have to rack the slide.. if she runs out of 17 rounds she can still insert a magazine and release the slide...
>>
>>32539767
get ger a pop gun then if you wnat her to make noise.. or some firecrackers and a rape whistle and close this thread
>>
Old people can be quite fragile. If the attacker is close enough for her to use a pistol, she may get pushed or fall to the ground, in which case a broken bone is entirely possible.

Better option for old people: recoilless rifles

Best option: mortar strapped to the front of an electric scooter, and a reconnaissance drone. If anyone so much as wears a hoodie within three blocks, she can load up.
>>
>>32537809
make her move ot a normal neighborhood if you really care for her
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.