[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ski-Jumps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

Okay I have a question, first of all, Catapults are obviously objectively superior to ski-jumps, you get more thrust and they allow you to take off with a higher combat load and so on.

But my question is, for ships without support for a catapult which will be carrying the F-35B (like the USS America here) doesn't it make sense to have a catapult since it's better than nothing. What is the justification for not having a ski-jump when other craft which will be carrying the F-35B do (like the HMS Queen Elizabeth)?
>>
>>32528009
They're LHA/LHDs. Primary task is not fixed wing operations, they're primarily rotor wing and amphib. Ramps impede at least the former on current designs.
>>
>>32528009

Politics.

If they put ramps on them then politicians would "count them" toward the 11 required carriers and the USN would lose nuke carriers immediately.
>>
>>32528009
>Catapults are obviously objectively superior to ski-jumps

They both offer advantages and disadvantages. Really isn't as clear cut that people have the habit of making it appear to be. I'd write an essay on this, but I'm ill.

Tactical stuff aside like sortie rate and higher sea state thresholds, ramps can lighten your logistical burden by reducing crew requirements, lowering maintance and simplify flight ops, thus easier training.
>>
>>32528127
That's kind of weird especially considering that with the America they omitted the well deck to support greater capacity for flight ops.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (8KB, 303x167px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
8KB, 303x167px
>>32528308
She's a witch, may we burn her?
>>
>>32529011

Which the Navy now admits was a mistake, all new constructions of the America class will have a well deck.
>>
>>32530498
So how about just a ramp on that one eh? EH?
>>
>>32528009
>obviously objectively superior
Not really. They are obviously objectively superior only when it comes to launch big AWACS planes.
>>
>>32532495
And transports
And things with lots of weapons and fuel for long range blowing the fuck out of stuff.

>>32528009
>What is the justification
Retaining dignity

Also more deck space for parking helicopters on
>>
>>32532522
>And transports

Good thing the USN is using big transports, oh wait.
>>
>>32528009
Because the primary role of the LHAs and LHDs is to conduct amphibious landings, not sustained air ops. The first two America-class LHAs were built under the assumption that future amphibious assaults would be performed purely by helicopter, so they were designed for maximized hangar space, and when you're running helicopters and other VTOL craft, you want as much open deck space to cram them on. Ramps take up space and would do nothing but impede helicopter operations.

It's practically the same concept as the "helicopter destroyers" Japan is fielding and the Mistrals France uses/sells. They have flat decks because they're the most conducive to servicing helicopter operations. And the magic of the F-35B is that it doesn't actually NEED the ramp to take off from an LHA.
>>
>>32528009
OK I am admitting slight retardation for not knowing the answer to this already, but why not both? Maybe not to the same extremes, but why has no one done a rampapult? Wouldn't it increase payload and ops efficiency even more?
>>
>>32533420

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STOBAR

You get the worst of everything
>>
>>32528009
I agree!
Especially since America is using the America class as strike carriers now as part of the cute as fuck Expeditionary strike group
>>
>>32528009
Why not both? Catapult + ramp would allow to launch bigger loads... Just make sure the landing gear are made of adamantium or something, but that's it.
>>
>>32534276

Because it's shit.
>>
>>32533372
C-2 Greyhound, dumbass.
>>
>>32534520

Which is being replaced by the V-22.
>>
File: 1474396730700.png (18KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
1474396730700.png
18KB, 280x280px
>>32534542
No it isn't
>>
>>32534764
Could you not be fucked to just google something along the lines of "c-2 greyhound v-22 replacement"?
>>
>>32532495
And refueling aircraft.
>>
>>32528009

The QECs are fixed wing carriers first, helicopters second. They've also got a massive area of deck space to waste.
>>
File: 1480696237803.jpg (107KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1480696237803.jpg
107KB, 500x334px
>>32533396
>The first two America-class LHAs were built under the assumption that future amphibious assaults
>>32530498
>Which the Navy now admits was a mistake

"There will never be another ampihbious assault" fags BTFO
>>
>>32534828

What refuelling aircraft do USn CVNs currently operate? I though it was just buddy refuelling.

The Osprey is being adapted into a refuelling aircraft, so it'll be interesting to see if that is ready by the time the USMC is operating from the RNs QE carriers.

http://www.janes.com/article/58270/v-22-aerial-refueling-system-nears-contract-decision-with-additional-upgrades-pending
>>
>>32537767

People always overlook this when making the refueling point about ramps.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.