[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could the Iowas be refitted to deploy railguns?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: trump22.jpg (34KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
trump22.jpg
34KB, 810x540px
Could the Iowas be refitted to deploy railguns?
>>
>>32527767
Our already sky high debt would become an non-computable high number
>>
>>32527767
>>>/pol/ drumpkin
This is a progressive board no Nazis allowed
>>
>>32527828
This is low quality b8
>>
>>32527925
This whole thread is poor b8
>>
File: 1389100472150.png (750KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1389100472150.png
750KB, 625x626px
>>32527828
>>
>>32527767
yeah just swap it.
>>
I imagine the turrets could be lifted out and rail gun turrets could be dropped right in. The cost and power usage both would be enormous though.
>>
>>32527991
Seems worth it considering the firepower
>>
>>32527925
>>32527942
>>32527952
Gtfo Nazis you aren't welcome here
>>
>>32527767
>>32527823
>>32527828
>>32527925
>>32527942
>>32527952
>>32527959
>>32527991
>>32528595
>>32528670
Gomenasai, my name is Iowa-sama

I’m a 74 year old American Senkan (Battleship for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my 46cm guns every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I broke the Washington Naval Treaty two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their Kantai Kessen, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Yokosuka to attend a prestigious Naval School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become flagship for the combined fleet or an offshore battery!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!
>>
wouldn't it make more sense to retrofit one of the colorados that already have a turbo-electric drive that can be tapped to produce more megawatts? They are probably all scrapped already though.
>>
And what if one sinks?
>>
File: 1481855940396.jpg (260KB, 736x916px)
1481855940396.jpg
260KB, 736x916px
>>32528670
>>
File: 20170103_212244.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px)
20170103_212244.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
>>
>>32529186
An economic tragedy that would be far worse than losing a B2
>>
>>32527767

Why would you want to get rid of those glorious 16" cannons? Are your railguns capable of firing eighteen 15-20 kiloton yield nuclear rounds every minute for 20 minutes straight?
>>
>>32527767

your fancy ass railguns will never give as much a freedom boner as this will
>>
>>32535405
The weight saved using a lighter, more modernized loading system and turret assembly combined with the weight saved using tungsten sub-caliber railgun sabots could possibly leave space for two UGM-133 Trident IIs, so yes? Theoretically.
>>
>>32527767
>Could the Iowas be refitted to deploy railguns?
Yes

>Could the Iowas be refitted to deploy railguns cost effectively?
No

>Could the Iowas be refitted to deploy railguns in a way that would be more effective in combat than a cruiser hull designed for the job?
no
>>
Sage and hide bbfag.
>>
>>32533776
I think losing monuments would be much more than economical
>>
>>32535405
Mostly because the propellant its ammunition uses is the main reason most of comparable battleships were sunk.
>>
We should have gliders fitted with railguns!
>>
>>32527828
Ov vey!
>>
>>32527767
This see this >>32535529

It would be possible. But that doesn't mean it would be a worthwhile venture.

Frankly, at this point, I don't see railguns actually being useful on ships.

Think about it. When would you need to use a railgun?

For shooting at ships or boats 100+ km out? You use a missile or several. If you don't, you either have to predict where the target will be literally 2 minutes ahead of where it is when you shoot.

>mah accuracy by volume
Not if you are getting, maybe 5k shots out of a barrel before you have to go into dry-dock to replace the gun because you wore it out after just a few engagements. This isn't the beginning of the 20th century where everyone thought that was the only way to do things. And that is on low power, high power and you will get about 1k or maybe less shots.

>mah guided projectile
You have to make a guided projectile that will survive the EM and shock profile of getting shot out of a rail gun. glwt We can barely make conventional projectiles that will survive the shock profile of a conventional gun.

So if you aren't shooting at ships, maybe you are doing shore bombardment against an entrenched near-peer that has missile defense so you can't just spam ship-based missile at him.

But the max projected range, on the optimistic side for any rail-gun in the foreseeable future, is around 250km. This means you have to get within the range of his LAND BASED ANTI-SHIP MISSILES. You can guarantee the guy on land has more of those than you have means to shoot them down or ships to take hits.

If he isn't a near-peer, then why are you using a rail-gun on him? Moreover, missiles pack a bigger bang than the rail-guns being worked on. Planes dropping bombs are more sustainable and responsive to ground needs anyway.

>mah rail-gun used for missile and air defense
Why bother? The size of the rail-guns being tested are WAY overkill for missile and air defense.
>>
File: MK & Gun Shell.jpg (394KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
MK & Gun Shell.jpg
394KB, 2048x1152px
Holy shit can we not have a fucking modern battleship thread twice a god dammed day? Posting OC in your shit ass thread
>>
>>32536595
Unguided shells will never be used in combat.

If you're worried about land-based AShM, you're going to have the same problem with SAM and your carrier-based planes.

Railguns would kill towelheads cheaper than tomahawks, so I don't know why you exclude them from the conversation just because they're an inferior enemy.

So your plan is to use missiles for everything. Land attack. Anti shipping. Missile defense. All with ~100 vls cells that have to be reloaded in port. That will surely work in a war with a near-peer.

And by the way, a 50 lb, $100k guided shell is more efficient for missile defense than a fucking 600 lb, $1.5M essm. That's the most intriguing part of having railguns, not land attack in the middle east.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.