[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

bullet selection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: gameking.png (259KB, 522x418px) Image search: [Google]
gameking.png
259KB, 522x418px
I just killed a boar and my first deer using the Sierra Gameking (270 Winchester). It seemed to work OK, but neither animal died instantly. The boar took it in the neck and dropped immediately, but he flopped around a bit before he died. Upon "autopsy," his neck was found to be shattered. The deer took it through the lungs and ran about 10-15 meters before falling dead beneath a tree. His lungs were a bloody mess, but his heart was still intact enough that I ate it. I am wondering if a hollow point bullet would kill them faster. Any experience?
>>
>>32525794
Depends on if you want more meat damage.

If you're fine with that then go ahead and try a weaker construction bullet like a Hornady A-MAX or Nosler Ballistic Tip.
>>
>>32525794
ehh, that's about as instant as you can expect outside of maybe intentionally shooting for the brain stem.
>>
>>32525794
Sounds like you need better shot placement.
>>
>>32525952
I came here to say this. Unless you pop something in the base of its skull, it's going to live a few seconds. Some animals flop down and die peacefully, some run and wiggle around, but there's usually at least a good 20 seconds of life before the complete loss of circulation starves the brain of oxygen.
>>
>>32525794
Did you finish the boar with your blade ? In France we finish medium and big games with daggers.
>>
>>32525989
>>32525952
We should add to that by saying it would be inhumane to aim for such a small target. Least you blow it's fucking face off and it runs away to die a week later.
>>
>>32525794
I kinda want to make an HD load for my FAL. I was thinking a sierra 110 or 125 grain bullet going extremely fast. Thoughts ?
>>
File: slug.jpg (7KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
slug.jpg
7KB, 280x180px
>>32525794
shot a boar with a 12 foster slug, fell over dead like a sack of potatoes instantly. another guys shot a similar size boar in the same general area at the same distance with 3006 and it ran some 20m and then spazzed out for a few sec. all the same to me from an "animal cruelty perspective" but maybe interesting anecdotal evidence for others.
>>
>>32525794

Why not shoot them in the head like a sniper? :^)
>>
>>32525794
>his heart was still intact enough that I ate it

Do you want worms, anon? Because that's how you get worms
>>
File: clip+(2017-01-03+at+01.42.26).png (554KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2017-01-03+at+01.42.26).png
554KB, 800x532px
>The 155 gr AMAX consistently offers nearly perfect terminal performance characteristics in unobstructed shots--ideal penetration, good fragmentation, and perfectly placed large temporary cavity.

>All of the .308 AMAX bullets we are aware of fired in LE sniper incidents to date have remained in the suspects' torsos; damage on autopsy has been quite impressive and exactly as predicted based on gel analysis.
>>
File: clip+(2017-01-03+at+01.42.47).png (604KB, 508x773px) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2017-01-03+at+01.42.47).png
604KB, 508x773px
Stretch cavity bigger than the 110 and the 168...

Dead center FBI gel penetration of 15" when minimum is 12" and maximum is 18"

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/754154/hornady-a-max-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-155-grain-boat-tail-box-of-100

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/853855/hornady-black-ammunition-308-winchester-155-grain-a-max-box-of-20
>>
>>32525794
Hollow points aren't good for medium-skinned animals like boar or deer. You want controlled expansion, and SGK's are a good choice.

Heart/lung shots are preferred, and what you described in terms of how much they move after the shot is typical in my experience. You're doing it right.
>>
>>32526258
Deer can be thin skinned. I definitely would choose a controlled expansion round for boar, but some deer in the South are pathetically small, which makes them closer to varmint...
>>
>>32526303
I'd still rather be loaded with controlled expansion, because when I hunt for deer I'm hunting for boar simultaneously.

.270 has enough kinetic energy that it should turn a deer's lungs into pulp even with a no-fragmentation pass through.
>>
>>32526354
Even then there's something to be said for a polymer tipped round to reduce chances of failure because a soft point got deformed during transportation or recoil in the mag.

It's why I'm a fan of Hornady SST and Noslers.

Federal Fusions are interesting to me as a general purpose round because the point is at the jacket so it's riding the borderline between hollowpoint and soft point.
>>
>>32526447
I've never had a problem with bonded soft points like Hornady Interlock or Nosler Partition at medium ranges, but I suppose if you were shooting past 200 yards it could make a difference
>>
File: 20151024_095502 (2250x1266).jpg (3MB, 2250x1266px) Image search: [Google]
20151024_095502 (2250x1266).jpg
3MB, 2250x1266px
>>32525794
don't worry about it, it's never a guarantee that they will just drop dead and not move at all, no matter where you shoot them.

pic was shot in the head and still kept kicking for 10sec
>>
>>32526552
True, woods hunting versus plains hunting is two entirely different sports altogether.
>>
>>32526580
I head shot a stray cat with a .22; it did that 'run on the ground but sideways' shit. I shot it more and it stopped on round 3.

I shot a possum that was also bayoneted and sledge hammered; it did a lot of squirming but didnt move after 14 seconds.
>>
>>32525794
a lungshot will have them running for a while, only if you hit the heart spot on will they drop after one step

ofc its going to be flopping around after you shattered its neck thats literally where its entire nervous system is centered
>>
>>32526587
This. Hunting deer in northern az mountains is a bitch and a half. There's no real cutoff between plains and valleys
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.